carmenlu15

Homosexuality And Aviation: Just A Question...

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:27 am

I know I'll get flamed for posting this, but here it goes...  flamed 

Foreword: I don't want this to become yet another gay/anti-gay bashing thread. There have been more than enough, and if you feel the need for a flame war, go here and start your own thread.

That said, I'll proceed with my post:

When I started as airline res agent, we had this know-it-all (but really nice) supervisor. This was our first holiday in the job, and naturally work was slow, so we spent a long time chatting about just any subject. This supervisor was telling us about a friend of his that was going to join the team, when he said, "You wanna know something? He is homosexual." After seeing the "Really?!  Wow! " look in our faces, he went on: "And you know, Mr. XXX (the res manager)? Well, he is also gay." And he went on with a list of employees (mostly management) that were gay. At that time we were recently-graduated young people who knew nothing about the outside world, and in our limited views, the topic of homosexuality was still taboo. So all this came as a surprise to us, and even more when he finished, "Oh, come on. In U.S. airlines, any of them, 3 out of 4 employees are gay."

Time has gone by, and my view of the world is not as limited as it used to be. But the discussions here somehow reminded me of that conversation. I know that my supervisor had a tendency to exaggerate a bit (and if you happen to be reading this, please don't be offended by the truth  Wink ), but I still wonder:

Was he right? Is homosexuality that common among airline employees?

Again, this comes out of simple curiosity. While I am not homosexual, I respect gay people and have absolutely nothing against them.

Your (civilized, please!) comments are welcome.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

redngold

RE: Homosexuality And Aviation: Just A Question...

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:41 am

I don't think there are any more than in any other career choice. It's just that the *perceived* promiscuity of airline employees, especially cabin crews, probably highlights the openness of sexuality.

redngold
Up, up and away!

TrappedinMKG

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:42 am

Just look at the shape of a CRJ-200, and you have your answer.

And no, I'm not just trying to be flip.

flyAUA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):
Was he right? Is homosexuality that common among airline employees?

Well at Austrian Airlines, AT LEAST three-quarters of my colleagues were gay so yes I believe this is true. I don't know what the connection is between homosexuality and aviation but there seems to be one. Even at university, my course had the highest proportion of gay people in it!!! From just 30 people, 8 were homosexuals. That's 27%... thus, much higher than the 12% that occurs naturally in the human population.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

777236ER

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:45 am

Who cares? What does it matter who has sex with whom?
Your bone's got a little machine

flyAUA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 4):
Who cares? What does it matter who has sex with whom?

You're right... what you do in your bed is nobody elses business  thumbsup 

I think he was just asking the question out of curiousity  Wink

777236ER

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:49 am

Curiousity? Why is it any of his business who's banging whom? What difference does it make, at all, what the proportion of straight/gay/bi people in aviation?

Matt D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:06 am

C'mon people. Lighten up. No need to get so defensive. He already made it clear that he's not taking any chops at gay people. He's simply asking what its it about that particular industry that makes such a relatively high number of gay people gravitate to it.

A perfectly legitimate question as far as I'm concerned.

I have my own ideas and speculation. But I'll keep those views private. For now.

777236ER

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 7):
C'mon people. Lighten up. No need to get so defensive. He already made it clear that he's not taking any chops at gay people. He's simply asking what its it about that particular industry that makes such a relatively high number of gay people gravitate to it.

But who cares? I think it's quite pathetic to spend your time wondering why certain professions (apparently) have different proportions of sexualities.

carmenlu15

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:12 am

Thanks, you got my point. My only objection is, I'm a girl!  cutie  Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

flyAUA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 5):
he

He

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 9):
My only objection is, I'm a girl!

biggrin   rotfl 

Matt D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:22 am

How is this thread any more offensive than asking-say:

Why do black people seem to like KFC and Popeyes more than whites?

What is it about low rider cars that Latinos love?

What is it about Wal-Mart and Moon Pies that rural white folks like?

The point is that many, if not most stereotypes are not without some roots in fact. And I fail to see any harm in asking WHY.

Birdwatching

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:26 am

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

TedTAce

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:01 am

Is homosexuality that common among airline employees?

IMHO it depends on which side of the cockpit door you are on. When it comes to men, yes there are some in the front, but damn there are a LOT in the back!!

Quoting Redngold (Reply 1):
I don't think there are any more than in any other career choice.

ROFLMAO!! You mustn't have flown with too many male crews did you?

Now My Disclaimer: I grew up (teen years) next door to a Male purser for PAA and VERY GAY needless to say, I got to know a lot of his friends because Purser boy always had a hot female roomates I was always drooling over. I eventually got one  Wink That being said I met one straight guy in college who is currently working as a purser for ... a major operator... and he's very happily married. So, out of 100's of male FA's I PERSONALLY know ONE straight one!!
I never met a Lesbian FA (one who was bi/pref men), but I'm sure there are some.
In my earlier upbringing before I lived next door to purser boy, I lived next door to a PAA Captain. Very conservative, very married with 3 Daughters. I didn't know many other pilots personally (one friend from flight school), but they are all straight.
This space intentionally left blank

UAL747

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:08 am

I've often wondered what the link is between Aviation and being homosexual. It seems that there are a lot of us that are gay and like aviation. I have seriously wondered why this is. But, I can't really find a reason.

Do any of you have a lot of flying dreams? I dream about flying all the time. Usually it's self-levetation, not in a plane, but I do have dreams of planes as well. The flying sensation is one recurring dream that I have. I also dream a TON about water, lakes, the ocean, and flying over them.

Anyway, the link between all these things and homosexuality is apparent, but why?

I also show horses english style. And there are a TON of homosexuals in that industry. In fact, Carson from "Queer Eye" rides Saddlebreds like I do. Strange indeed.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

FA4UA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:39 am

Cabin crew are often gay because typically gay men are more likely to be overly friendly/ inviting and have great attention to detail. In my biased opinion, it's in our genes! Straight American men aren't usually the most warm and inviting nor do they stress on the details of presentation like gay guys do. It's just our culture... it's not emphasized in models of masculinity in American culture to be overly outgoing nor pay attention to presentation standards.

Still to this day the ideal of American masculinity echoes views from the past of the Marlboro man riding on a horse into the sunset.

my two cents...
FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

FlyingTexan

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:03 am

Where there are airplanes, there are gays.

Gay men typically do not have children. Hence, they generally have more disposable income and more free time. Therefore – more travel.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

flybyguy

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 3):
Well at Austrian Airlines, AT LEAST three-quarters of my colleagues were gay so yes I believe this is true. I don't know what the connection is between homosexuality and aviation but there seems to be one.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 16):

Holy Hell! Is it just guys?

Gay men typically do not have children. Hence, they generally have more disposable income and more free time. Therefore – more travel.

So Uncle Sam doesn't take 1/3 of your paycheck if you aren't married?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

TedTAce

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 17):

My OBSERVATION, yes.

Reality.. I hope there are at least a FEW lesbians out there  Wink
This space intentionally left blank

KyleLosAngeles

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 1):
I don't think there are any more than in any other career choice. It's just that the *perceived* promiscuity of airline employees, especially cabin crews, probably highlights the openness of sexuality.

redngold

Great. Leave it to St. Redngold to suggest that gayness is a byproduct of any situation where promiscuity exists.

She cannot make a direct comment, it's gotta be backhanded.

And now she'll deny it was her intent and complain that she is being "personally attacked" for her beliefs.
Happy 2006

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:13 am

I agree. What a truly ignorant comment, Redngold!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

diamond

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:42 am

Well at least I didn't have to point it out this time.  Smile Smile
Blank.

September11

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Topic starter:

Homosexuality And Aviation: Just A Question

Your Question: Is homosexuality that common among airline employees?

My Answer: Yes.

Thank you.
Airliners.net of the Future

FlyingTexan

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:43 pm

Everybody in every workplace is doin’ everybody else. It’s been that way since the beginning of time, and it will be like that ‘till the end of time. Look how much time we spend around co-workers. For better or worse.

For some reason where there are airplanes, there are gays. I mention in my reply #16:

So Uncle Sam doesn't take 1/3 of your paycheck if you aren't married?

Uncle Sam takes about half of my $$$. But taxes and the ‘marriage penalty’ plus issues of civil unions getting shafted are another thread…

While I am not homosexual, I respect gay people and have absolutely nothing against them.

Same here ~ social/political issues that are near and dear to homosexuals are a staunch ally of mine. Why? For starters, those stances are better for society.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

PA110

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 18):
Reality.. I hope there are at least a FEW lesbians out there

Absolutely, but most of them are mechanics. (There's a reason for the stereotype jokes about lesbians and power tools!) I have 3 lesbian friends over at UA's maintenance base at SFO.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

flyAUA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:30 pm

No, I just mean that when only considering the men, that is the case. We have a fair split bewteen male/female flight attendants but i see the trend being more and more males... don't know what I prefer to be honest. I don't think I care as long as they do their job properly.

HAWK21M

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:51 pm

Is homosexuality that common among airline employees

I've seen a few in my Airline.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:02 am

Mmmh... Now that I think about it, the gay men I've met tend to be more friendly and considerate... so it would make sense for them to look for a job that involves customer service. And they wouldn't have such time limitations as somebody with children.

Thanks for your replies!  Smile

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:15 am

Are you trying to say that's all we're good for!?!?  mad 

Now I am offended!!!  tongue   Wink

carmenlu15

Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 28):
Are you trying to say that's all we're good for!?!?

Well, you're also good as hairstylists  Wink

(Just kidding... no offense please!  Smile )

panam330

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 28):
Are you trying to say that's all we're good for!?!?

Ah, at least the gay men don't have to fix the planes- it's too dirty  Wink. We're good for passing out the food in a nice clean environment  Silly.

As for the topic at hand, here in the US it seems (IMO) that some airlines have more gay male flight attendants than others. For example, CO and COex seem to have loads more gays than NW does. (Probably just coincedental that ~75% of my flights with CO have had a gay flight attendant I'm sure.) Is there a correlation between gays and the industry? Absolutely. Why is it that way? Nobody has a clue as to the exact reason, but there will always be speculation.

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:09 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 30):
Ah, at least the gay men don't have to fix the planes- it's too dirty

I can really picture a gay man refusing to do that because it's too dirty  rotfl