flyAUA

The Official Quitters Thread

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:48 am

So tomorrow, Thursday is the big day. It's the last day I will be smoking. As of the 1st of July I am going to be a non-smoker! I've quite twice before and I lasted 5 months each time. The reason why I didn't last the first time was because I had a large row when my family found out about me.

The second time I read Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" and it worked really well until I had another major disappointment in my life. I knew that it was stupid of me since I went through a lot of trouble to quit and was aware of the fact that starting again wouldn't make things better.

Lets hope that the third time, I'll learn from the mistakes I've made in the past. I've been smoking for 8 years now and have reached rediculous levels the past few weeks. I am determined to not start again.

So is there anybody else out there who has recently become a non-smoker, or is considering it. Anybody who has tried and failed? I would like to hear about your experiences, the good times, and the bad times.

Regards,
Moe
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Sabena332

RE: The Official Quitters Thread

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:50 am

I wish you luck!

I won't even try quit smoking, it won't work anyway, I am way too addicted.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LO231

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 1):

Me too, at the point of my life when I lost my mother after her being in a coma for 5 weeks ( I had a thread about it last Oct/Nov) I don't feel strong enough as yet....Couldn't work it out for myself so far  Sad

GOOD LUCK  bigthumbsup , I know how awful this habit is first hand..........

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:06 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
at the point of my life when I lost my mother

Sorry to hear that  Sad

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
GOOD LUCK , I know how awful this habit is first hand..........

I wish you luck!

Thanks for the  crossfingers 

I also thought the same as you peeps but ended up stopping (even though not permanently) at a time when I too had a lot of shit going on in my life and I thought I wouldn't be able to. So if you can be bothered, give that book a chance... it's really good and comes in so many languages!

I am getting really grossed out of smoking. Truly is filthy  yuck 

TheRedBaron

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:08 am

Do this:

Try to run fast but not top speed for 500 metres, take th etime and take the time it takes you to get to a normal breath and cardiac rythm....

then STOP smoking for 3 miserly weeks hope you can do it HAVE FAITH.

Repeat the experiment....

You will be surprised as hell, and I am SURE you wont ever smoke...

Good luck

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

bristolflyer

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:09 am

Good luck. Why don't you put all the money you're saving aside and watch it grow - that should help motivate you.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:17 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 4):
Try to run fast but not top speed for 500 metres, take th etime and take the time it takes you to get to a normal breath and cardiac rythm....

then STOP smoking for 3 miserly weeks hope you can do it HAVE FAITH.

Repeat the experiment....

Yes I did this when I quit smoking the 2nd time round except with swimming. The first day after I quit my heart felt like it was going to stop after the first lap (it was olympic size btw). After a few weeks I was doing much better and this truly was motivating. I am planning on going swimming again after work every day when I quit now  Smile

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 5):
Good luck. Why don't you put all the money you're saving aside and watch it grow - that should help motivate you.

This works too! More money to buy clothes and gadgets Big grin

LO231

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 6):
This works too! More money to buy clothes and gadgets

AIRLINE TICKETS. Nough said

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 7):
AIRLINE TICKETS. Nough said

Not everyone has to pay for all their tickets  Wink

YOU of all people should know Big grin

ozguy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:31 am

I wish you luck!

Yeah, good luck with that FlyAUA, and LO231 & Sabeena3322 as well if you do try in the future.

My motivation not to start smoking was my mates that smoked in year 8 not being able to run our cross country without coughing and hacking up god knows what every few hundred meters. I was lucky I got to see this first hand before I started so I don't know what quitting's like but good luck anyway.

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting OzGuy (Reply 9):
Yeah, good luck with that FlyAUA

My motivation not to start smoking was my mates that smoked in year 8 not being able to run our cross country without coughing and hacking up god knows what every few hundred meters.

Thanks for that!

Yes I should've known better. There is no excuse for it, and the worst part is that I can't even remember enjoying it or liking the taste. Really weird how you can force yourself to do something you dislike.

Quoting OzGuy (Reply 9):
I don't know what quitting's like

It's horrible! I become (though only for a short while) a moody, PMSing bitch! But bear with me, it will pass  

[Edited 2005-06-29 01:44:05]

LO231

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 8):
Not everyone has to pay for all their tickets

I'm officially offended. Airlines are not that generous anymore, you know  box 

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 10):
It's horrible! I become (though only for a short while) like a moody, PMSing bitch! But bear with me, it will pass

No hon, it has just started, and I'm the first victim  fight 

AND WE ARE NOT THURSDAY YET

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 11):
I'm officially offended. Airlines are not that generous anymore, you know

True...

Quoting LO231 (Reply 11):
No hon, it has just started, and I'm the first victim

AND WE ARE NOT THURSDAY YET

Owww sowwy  innocent 

I think I will refrain from a.netting the first few days. If I see an AvB thread, hell will break loose. LOL  Silly

LO231

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:48 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 12):
I think I will refrain from a.netting the first few days. If I see an AvB thread, hell will break loose. LOL

Then I'm glad I'm flying the airline that has both............. 767 in new Austrian colours, yum  Smile

AC777LR

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:49 am

They only thing I can say that I smoke or did somke was weed, but I dont do that anymore, the Fire SVC and City Medicals put a stop to that. Smoking is just nasty, I can't stand it when people smoke in their cars, thats just wrong, who would want to buy your car/ashtray.
Member since April 2000

ozguy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 am

AC777LR, I'm the same, I had a year where I would at parties but I decided I was gonna be a pilot (or at least work in the industry whether it be ATC, Airport management, Cabin crew etc.) and turned my focus to my studies and gave it up, I never had a problem with it though as I only did it occasionally so this wasn't really like quitting, but still. Now with the exception of religion I'm a straight A student and feel heaps better for it.

cheers.
OzGuy

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:34 pm

Quoting OzGuy (Reply 15):
Now with the exception of religion I'm a straight A student

Well, surely that's a good thing... even with religion  Wink

ozguy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:51 pm

Yup, I'm happy with it. It'll get me into a uni course I'm happy with. Go back to sleep, I read a post of yours when I went out a couple hours back and your back on already! or are you shooting for top poster this week?  biggrin 

Nimish

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:21 pm

I quit in '92 after light smoking (max of 6-10/day for 3 years). The first 6 months were the worst - went through the pangs *each time* someone lit a cigarette near me, the following 3 years were bad, still frequently felt the urge, and then next 3 years were OK - moderate urges. It's only after that long period that I truly no longer felt like smoking again.

It's a shit habit made worse by the pangs during the *extremely long* time it takes to truly get over it.

Anyone who says they can stop and has not tried it, is fooling themselves.

And anyone who tries to stop should be cautious for at least 6-7 years after quitting (based on my experience).

Best of luck!!!!
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

gkirk

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:30 pm

Good luck Fritz  Wink

r, "me too!", "Good post Jim!", "I disagree" or similar message. This takes up time as readers must sort through these messages which have no real value to the group at large. Any message containing nothing more than a line or two of text is probably not worth posting.

If you have an opinion on a topic, you should in detail express why y
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MD-90

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:33 pm

Good luck. My dad smokes, and while I wish he could quit, I know it must be extremely difficult. However, I have an aunt, one of my grandfathers, and a great aunt who all smoked at one point and quit, so it can be done.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:20 pm

I never smoked in my life, but for a few puffs when young. My father smoked a pack a day for about 35 years and one day, in April, 1979 went 'cold turkey' after a few too many mornings hacking up spit and wanting to see his then just born 1st grandchild reach adulthood (which he has). He is now 79 years old and probably wouldn't have made it this far without quitting many years ago.
Working in NY City with a virtual ban on smoking indoors except for one's own house/apartment, I see it is encouraging many more smokers to quit due to the inconvenience to be able to smoke with the 'fellow sinners' outside of buildings. Hang in there, you will see that you will feel better after a few weeks and months. Just don't replace the craving for nicotine with food, as often a side effect, compounded by the fact that food tastes better as not smoking. Take long walks, do things that occupy your mind like reading or something that keeps your hands busy. Avoid places where smoking is allowed like bars, etc. It is difficult to quit the smoking habit, but as I have seen with my father, it is worth it.

bill142

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:19 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Thread starter):
The reason why I didn't last the first time was because I had a large row when my family found out about me.

I don't mean to put my nose where it dosn't belong, but I am confused by this statement?

jasepl

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:34 pm

So that's why you were in such a hurry yesterday!
Congratuations and all the best Moe!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Patrick's response for myself:

I wish you luck!

I won't even try quit smoking, it won't work anyway.

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting OzGuy (Reply 17):
Yup, I'm happy with it. It'll get me into a uni course I'm happy with. Go back to sleep, I read a post of yours when I went out a couple hours back and your back on already! or are you shooting for top poster this week?

Haha, no I am not. Yesterday I wasn't in the mood of leaving home which resulted in a record amount of posts from my side. LOL. I will be doing stuff the next 3 evenings though so I will not be hogging the forum  Wink

Quoting Nimish (Reply 18):

Wow, that's quite harsh that you had the pangs for so long. I didn't suffer that long to be honest but as you say it gets easier with time.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
Hang in there, you will see that you will feel better after a few weeks and months. Just don't replace the craving for nicotine with food, as often a side effect, compounded by the fact that food tastes better as not smoking.

I find that carrots or cucumbers are a good thing to fidget with and have in your hand/mouth when i feel like eating... and they don't make me fat  Smile

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
Avoid places where smoking is allowed like bars

Actually this never bothered me. It was more a feeling of superiority when I went to such places looking at smokers and thinking "Haha, look at those filthy addicts". And when I got home with my clothes stinking of smoke, it was EVEN more motivating to continue not smoking.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 22):
I don't mean to put my nose where it dosn't belong, but I am confused by this statement?

Nope it's not a secret. I guess pretty much everybody knows about my preference by now  Wink

jasepl

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:57 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 24):
I find that carrots or cucumbers are a good thing to fidget with and have in your hand/mouth when i feel like eating... and they don't make me fat

Keep your hands and mouth busy, that will do the trick!

Not that I would know, of course!  angel   innocent   wink 

UAL747

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:58 pm

Blah, good luck buddy. It's haaaaard. I've tried to quit several times. I go and by me some nicoderm CQ thinking I'm such a stud, when come to find out, I still wanted a cigarette. I thought the patch would take care of everything and make me not crave, but low and behold, I guess you gotta do some of the work yourself! LOL.

Ugh, I know smoking is bad for you, but it keeps me from munching on stuff that I shouldn't be.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

luv2fly

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 26):
Ugh, I know smoking is bad for you, but it keeps me from munching on stuff that I shouldn't be.

Good reason to risk cancer!
You can cut the irony with a knife

flyAUA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Quoting JasePL (Reply 25):
Keep your hands and mouth busy, that will do the trick!

Oh dear that came out wrong. That's what happens when somebody at work is rushing you while you try to finish a post  Silly

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 26):

Try rubbing the bit of skin between your thumb and index finger on your left hand when you feel like this. Chinese scientists believe it works. Whether or not it works remains a myth and depends on the person I guess.

ctbarnes

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:47 am

Good Luck. My grandmother died of inoperable lung cancer when she was 79 because she was a 2 pack-a-day smoker. Within about two years nearly everyone on my mother's side of the family gave up smoking, including my mother.

Also, if you can get Nicoderm patches in Austria, this will help wean you off the nicotine addiction. Also, check back with us if you are finding it tough and despirately need a zigarette.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

KLM685

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:51 am

It's weird... I had like phases of smoking and not smoking

I started around 15...smoked around 4 until I was 18 when I smoke INTENSIVELY for 1 month and then I just got bored of it and never touched it until now that i'm 19 and college is getting on my nerves LOL.

Though I don't smoke cuz of nerves or things like that. Only with friends at parties.

But, I don't like smoking while walking, or in a place that has lots of smoke ( like night clubs here in Mexico).

So for me getting the habit is quiet hard  Wink I've been trying for years and I always end up not smoking 98% of the time.

Alonsou
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

flyAUA

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 30):
I always end up not smoking 98% of the time.

That's quite accurate!   

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 30):
Though I don't smoke cuz of nerves or things like that. Only with friends at parties.

Read the book! THere is no such thing as a "casual smoker"!!!

Edit: My 1111th post  

[Edited 2005-06-29 23:48:47]

flyAUA

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 am

So it's not officially the 1st of July here. It feels weird that when I come home tomorrow my place will not "stink" of smoke, or that I do not have to keep a bulky packet of ciggies in my pocket tomorrow when I go to work.

I am getting more and more nervous already, but I guess that's just me being a dramatic person. LOL  Silly

I will keep whoever reads this thread posted on how it goes, and welcome any other quitters to join in the diary keeping  Wink

IAH777

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:10 am

My wife threatened divorce, so after 14 years and two failed attempts with the patch, I quit cold turkey. Been clean 1.5 years now.

Wayfarer

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:16 am

"my doctor told me I need more tar" LOL

-Steve Martin
EASTERN AIRLINES: We Are Still Here Today

flyAUA

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 33):
Been clean 1.5 years now

Respect for that!

Well, I am going to go to bed now without my goodnight cigarette! Night night  cloudnine 

Curtisman

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:07 pm

FlyAUA - keep at it - you can do it! Get your body cleaned up and start living a healthy life. You have it in you to do it so dig deep!

CurtisMan
Citizen of the World

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Good luck FlyAUA! My dad had one lung out from lung cancer at 48, only managed to quit for six months, and then died from lung, liver and pancreatic cancer at 62. It was (and still is) devastating to me. Please keep in mind those you love and who love you. It's better for all of you if you do quit. VERY good luck!!
But that was when I ruled the world

rabenschlag

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:07 pm

i quit three years ago after a couple of fruitless attempts. my last attempt was a slow sneaking out of the addiction. i told everybody at work that i had quit, but i still smoked 3-4 cigarettes a day in the mornings and evenings. so i had to cope with withdrawal at work every day. for 1 year. so i practiced to withstand the cravings for a long time. after a year, i was able to stop completely.

after a while, i started occasional party smoking. just 1 or 2 every other month and only with a good load of beer. i never relapsed. las autumn my mother, a long time smoker, was diagnosed with lung cancer. it was diagnosed late (no symptoms), so theres no hope. she is still doing ok but it is only a matter of time until the cancer will spread to the brain, liver, or bones. since her diagnosis, i never party smoked again.

it is a terrible thing to do. i smoked 15 years and i am really angry about it. it gives you nothing substantial. it mainly helps you to get rid of your cravings - how nice.

r.

Nimish

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 24):
Wow, that's quite harsh that you had the pangs for so long. I didn't suffer that long to be honest but as you say it gets easier with time.

You don't "suffer" too much beyond the first few months, but the urge to start again stays for a looooong time. I know so many folks who stopped only to restart in 6 months or a year. Not much use, since you're back, and now believe you have the power to stop, and hence use that argument to keep the smoking going!

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 33):
Been clean 1.5 years now.

Congratulations! The worst part is behind you. However you still need to be on the watchout for just a little longer, it's *very* easy to restart, and you know how difficult it is to eventually stop! All the best for the next 1-5 years!

jasepl

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:27 pm

Good luck Moe!

Remember to keep your hands and mouth busy! Or, at least, dream...  Wink

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:05 pm

Make sure you are far from the stuff at most times So The next time a Disapointment creeps up,you dont get temptet.
Best of Luck.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

flyAUA

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone for supporting me! It's great to see all the responses and advice, etc... and it really helps me stay motivated during the first few days which I find the hardest.

This morning I was quite surprised at how easy it's going. So surprised actually that I'm thinking "wait a minute, something is fishy around here". I'm sure it's bound to get bad at some point but until then, I'm feeling great Big grin

Quoting Nimish (Reply 39):
I know so many folks who stopped only to restart in 6 months

Like me the first 2 times I tried  embarrassed 

Quoting JasePL (Reply 40):
Good luck Moe!

Remember to keep your hands and mouth busy! Or, at least, dream...

Thanks... I am currently working on the telephone number of the new receptionist at work  Wink

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 41):
Make sure you are far from the stuff at most times So The next time a Disapointment creeps up,you dont get temptet.

Last night I threw away the left-overs, my lighter, and ashtray. Though if I really wanted to I just had to walk down the road to the petrol station. It will not happen though!

Nimish

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 38):
las autumn my mother, a long time smoker, was diagnosed with lung cancer. it was diagnosed late (no symptoms), so theres no hope

Very sorry to hear that - wish you and your mother all the very best. The Big C is unfortunately the normal outcome of smoking - my grandfather passed away 13 years ago from Lung cancer after a lifetime of smoking. That was my trigger to quit. And I'm glad I did!

As you point out, there's no such thing as "party smoking" or "safe smoking" or "smoking within limits". It's a terrible habit, made worse by being so tough to quit.

MEA-707

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Congrats Moe. I never smoked as seeing my granddad dying of lungcancer scared the hell out of me, but my best friend is continiously  Yeah sure stopping with smoking so I have experiences how hard it can be. Three suggestions
- patches DO help. Don't think you're strong enough to do it without.
- don't let stress or disappointment be an excuse to take a cigarette "to feel better." If you still see cigarettes having a role like that basically you are still a smoker even if you didn't smoke for a while.
- casually smoking (only at weekends, only 5 fags a day) won't lead anywhere.
Good luck. I can imagine the difficult hours start now, coffee break etc.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

flyAUA

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 44):
patches DO help. Don't think you're strong enough to do it without.

They do help get rid of the social aspect of smoking (haha funny that I can use the word social and smoking on one sentence), but they do not help get rid of the addiction. If I use any NRTs, then I am just feeding that little nicotine monster inside of me and what I need to do it KILL IT before it kills me  devil 

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 44):
don't let stress or disappointment be an excuse to take a cigarette "to feel better." If you still see cigarettes having a role like that basically you are still a smoker even if you didn't smoke for a while.

Very valid point. I don't feel like I am missing out or anything now. It's all about how you see it.

IAH777

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:29 pm

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this (I'm too lazy to read 'em all), but food actually has flavor! I thought everything tasted like styrofoam. Big grin

How about this for a deal...?

If you start smoking again, each of us will fly to your town and give you one swift kick in the groin. Big grin Big grin

LH423

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:43 pm

The hardest is getting past the routines. Points in your day where you'd normally have a cigarette. When I smoked I'd always have one after leaving my apartment and passing that point was always tough. You just have to accept that you're going to have cravings and work through them because they do go away.

I still have one or two occasionally. Mostly when I'm having a few drinks or if I've had a particularly stressful day at work but I make a point of not buying a pack. Which is another deterent because I hate bumming. So I really only smoke when someone offers. I'll ask if I'm drunk though  Smile

Anyway, good luck. You're making the right decision!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

flyAUA

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 46):
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this (I'm too lazy to read 'em all), but food actually has flavor! I thought everything tasted like styrofoam.

I did!!! And not just that, but this morning after I woke up, I COULD SMELL THINGS AGAIN  Wow!

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 46):
If you start smoking again, each of us will fly to your town and give you one swift kick in the groin.

Thanks, very much apreciated  bigthumbsup 

Police Officer teaching me a lesson... can't complain  Wink

Quoting LH423 (Reply 47):
The hardest is getting past the routines. Points in your day where you'd normally have a cigarette.

Very true! I guess I will be dealing with the social part of it first and later will come the physical addiction part. I still find myself reaching for my pack of cigarettes (subconsciously) while on a.net but not really during the day when I am busy. And when I was out last night I started fidgeting with my cuttlery after the meal (I always smoke after a meal) until my friends brought it to my attention. This is going to take really long... ugh!

Jkw777

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:32 pm

Good luck with your mission to quit smoking, I don't have this problem because I never started smoking.  Wink

I know a few people that have tried quitting but they just cant seem to manage it. I'm sure with more determination and other activities replacing that old habit of going for a fag will help cure this addiction.

Good luck,
Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989