jetjack74

SC Judge O'Conner's Retirement Immient

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Sources inside say that O'Conner will announce her retirement from the Supreme Court within the hour. O'Conner was the first woman appointed to the US Supreme Court by President Reagan on 7 July 1981.
Made from jets!

AGC525

RE: SC Judge O'Conner's Retirement Immient

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:21 pm

Christ, this is all over the tv, as breaking news. Must be a slow news day. not that it's not important, but geeeze.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

OzarkD9S

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:25 pm

It is that important.

Any nominee of Bush's will be a right-wing, social facist with his or her head up the butt of his/her "faith".

Scary.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

jaysit

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:26 pm

O' Connor has been the moderate swing vote in a lot of judicial decisions.

This is VERY important, especially since the far right despises her and want a Scalia dittohead in the position.

Given that the press prattled on and on about Michael Jackson and that Petersen case, its about time that they gave a real issue some air time.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jetjack74

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:28 pm

It's official. She has announced it

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 1):
Christ, this is all over the tv, as breaking news. Must be a slow news day

Considering the recent divide with the president's nominees, I would say this is pivitol. All I can say is, "Here we go again"
Made from jets!

AGC525

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:31 pm

The way they announced it I thought she died. I hope some a.netters get nominated, since they know so much on how the laws should be in the the country.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

jetjack74

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 5):
I hope some a.netters get nominated, since they know so much on how the laws should be in the the country.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That'll happen.
Made from jets!

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:37 pm

The way they announced it I thought she died. I hope some a.netters get nominated, since they know so much on how the laws should be in the the country.

Hmmmm, Justice ANCFlyer . . . .has a nice ring to it . . . don't ya think.  crazy 

We could have Justice RSmith!!!

Or we could have Justice Libtu)_*(#_(# !!!!

Your call!  rotfl 

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 4):

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 1):
Christ, this is all over the tv, as breaking news. Must be a slow news day

Considering the recent divide with the president's nominees, I would say this is pivitol. All I can say is, "Here we go again"

Well, well, well . . . this is giong to be interesting.

Rather expected the Chief Justice to expire or retire . . . never saw this coming.

PotUs has a grand opportunity here to set the stage on the Supreme Court for two decades to come. This ought to get interesting soon.

Wonder how long it will take for the reallllly left wing Bashers to claim what ever nominee he suggests is  redflag  or a Neo-Con Fascist? Further, I wonder who will be the first to post it on A-Net? My $$$ goes with Smitty.  biggrin 

Any nominees from A-Netters???
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

PHLBOS

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 4):

Here it is in print, very short & sweet:
http://kyw.com/news/topstories_story_182102350.html

And all this whole time, everyone was focusing on Justice Reinquist retiring (which could still happen).

Side note: Justice O'Connor, was almost killed nearly 2 years ago when a display scaffolding collapsed during the dedication of the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. She was there to receive the Liberty Medal at the time.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

slider

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:40 pm

Here we go....the next major issue to divide our nation.

I'll just say that it would be nice for once to have someone who--not conservative nor liberal, left nor right, Republican or Democrat--but someone who will (gasp) actually interpret the Constitution in the constructionist manner in which it ought to be applied.

I've had it with the stench from the bench, unchecked judicial activism, and the movement by some of the judges to factor international law into US rulings.

I don't think Bush has the balls to nominate someone like that, and no matter who he puts up it's going to get stupid.

Greyhound

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:52 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Hmmmm, Justice ANCFlyer . . . .has a nice ring to it . . . don't ya think.

That reminds me... good time to take that vacation to the Yukon.  Wink

Rather expected the Chief Justice to expire or retire . .

Anyone taking bets yet on which one comes first?

Wonder how long it will take for the reallllly left wing Bashers to claim what ever nominee he suggests is or a Neo-Con Fascist? Further, I wonder who will be the first to post it on A-Net?

See reply #2.
29th, Let's Go!

Mir

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:58 pm

Does this mean that Bush can use the July 4th recess to put someone there without Senate approval?  scratchchin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:00 am

This is very unfortunate.

Last year she was on the short list to be Chief Justice, but the exacerbating illness of her husband over the past 3 months probably made her throw in the towel.

O'Connor has written some very nuanced opinions in the civil rights arena, that have showcased her classic libertarian leanings.

Wonder how long it will take for the reallllly left wing Bashers to claim what ever nominee he suggests is or a Neo-Con Fascist?

If he appoints someone like Justice Bork, then he deserves it. The opinions and comments and views of Bork after he lost the nomination have gone to prove that the man was indeed a monster.

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
but someone who will (gasp) actually interpret the Constitution in the constructionist manner in which it ought to be applied.

Like the Dredd Scott decision.

Purely "constructionist."

And vile.

dvk

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 am

If precedent is any indicator, W will nominate the most in-your-face, incendiary person he can find. The Supreme Court has hardly been an "activist" court, as Slider claims. It will become so, however, if it shifts farther to the right. This is indeed a scary time.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

jetjack74

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:07 am

My prediction is that either Alberto Gonzales or Janice Rodgers Brown will be appointed. So the Senate Judiciary Committee will be back on the TV screens. Well, i'm preparing for a repeat of the Clarence Thomas hearings.
Made from jets!

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:20 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 14):
W will nominate the most in-your-face, incendiary person he can find. The Supreme Court has hardly been an "activist" court, as Slider claims.

It's only activist for these people when their narrow social agendas are suddenly stopped by a Constitutional wall. And you're right. Given how beholden he is to Karl Rove and his virtual hand over of the Oval Office to evangelicals, we'll probably see a Justice who's been vetted and blessed by them.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 15):
My prediction is that either Alberto Gonzales or Janice Rodgers Brown will be appointed.

Janice Brown does not have the experience. And many Republican moderates voted for her with held noses. Gonzales is seen as too pro-abortion by the high holy rollers who have Bush's balls by the hand.

F9Widebody

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:10 am

Maybe I am the only one here, but I did NOT see this coming.

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

S12PPL

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:14 am

Kiss your civil liberties goodbye! The Dubya Supreme Court is on the way!!!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 16):
Janice Brown does not have the experience. And many Republican moderates voted for her with held noses. Gonzales is seen as too pro-abortion by the high holy rollers who have Bush's balls by the hand.

Gotta agree with Jay here. I'm of the opinion that Bush will nominate a judge off the 4th Circuit - and I have a strong hunch it'll be the Chief Judge of the 4th Circuit, William Wilkins.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

TedTAce

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:34 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/quotes

Darth Vader: Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the death of Kenobi, and will soon see the end of the Rebellion.
This space intentionally left blank

HOMER71

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:41 am

I'm thinking he will go with Emilio Garza, I believe he sits on the 5th Circuit.

Scary.
This is indeed a scary time.

Should I pack up the family and get the hell out of Dodge?  Yeah sure

BTW, if and when Rehnquist goes, which of the current justices becomes Chief Justice? How do they select one?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

texdravid

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:48 am

Whatever your political leanings, these next few months until the new justice is confirmed will be a good time to turn off the TV news shows and talk radio.

Why? The charlatans on the left and right will be hyperventilating on TV and..A.net as well to state how the country will be devastated if Bush gets his way or if the democrats get their way.

Both sides will try to demonize the other and it will get nasty.
Thank God for the remote and mute button this summer!!
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 21):
BTW, if and when Rehnquist goes, which of the current justices becomes Chief Justice? How do they select one?

Same way as they nominate an Associate Justice. During the interim period between Chiefs, the Senior Associate Justice (John Paul Stevens) would become Acting Chief Justice. Bush would then appoint a new Chief Justice - either someone currently on the Court or someone else. If it's someone currently on the Court, then he would then also nominate a new Associate Justice to the vacated associate's seat.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

PHLBOS

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 21):

If I'm not mistaken, the Justice with the most seniority on the S.C. bench would, at the very least, be offered to become Chief Justice. That being the case, it would probably offered first to Justice Paul Stevens. If he turns down the position (due to potential retirement), the next in seniority would be Justice Antonin Scalia.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ltbewr

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:52 am

At least FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC will talk about something else for the next 2-4 weeks besides the missing teen in Aruba  goodvibes 
I am somewhat looking forward to and also fearful of the battle for her replacement as it is fought over in the media, by political leaders and the like. I think the Democrats will put up a huge fight as to any nominee if they believe in reversing rulings on Abortion (Roe v. Wade), workers rights or civil rights of other than white Christian males. I think this battle for a replacement of Justice O'Conner will be dirtier, nastier and be more dragged out than that of Justice Thomas (who to me was not qualified, but for being a black conservative). So get out the popcorn and beverages when the Judiciary Committee meets to review a nominee, it ought to be a good show.

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:57 am

Bush may appoint Garza, trolling as he is for the Hispanic vote.

And there is always Edith Jones, who would be an awful choice - she's the Church Lady from your worst nightmares, and as anti-intellectual as they come.

Ugggh.

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 18):
Kiss your civil liberties goodbye! The Dubya Supreme Court is on the way!!!

Start up the gas chambers! Dig the burial pits!  Yeah sure
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 27):
Start up the gas chambers! Dig the burial pits!

That's your job.

You'd be perfect for it.

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 28):
That's your job.

You'd be perfect for it.

And old, ugly people like you would be the first to go...  Yeah sure

[Edited 2005-07-01 19:05:26]
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 29):
And old, ugly people like you would be the first to go...

Showing off your qualifications, are you?

Mir

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:06 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 24):
That being the case, it would probably offered first to Justice Paul Stevens. If he turns down the position (due to potential retirement), the next in seniority would be Justice Antonin Scalia.

wideeyed 

That's not good.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 24):
That being the case, it would probably offered first to Justice Paul Stevens. If he turns down the position (due to potential retirement), the next in seniority would be Justice Antonin Scalia.

That's not good.

-Mir

The importance of the position of Chief Justice is vastly overstated. I'd be more concerned about O'Connor's successor than anything else. This is not 1981, where the opinions of law and order moderate Republicans and Democrats held sway. We have the Christian Coalition hydra and all its minions hell bent on avoiding any moderation on the bench whatsoever.

jake056

Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:51 am

This is truly going to be the "long, hot summer". Who knows what the White House plan will be? Perhaps their plan is to have a "sleeper" nominee in their back pocket. Under this scenario, the candidate they really want is held back while another more hard-nosed nominee is offered up first. This way all the time and energy is devoted to defeating that nominee, and then when it fails, the truly desired nominee is announced. Kind of like bait and switch.

I do think the White House will look for a minority, it will play better in the media.

I don't think Rehnquist will ever retire. His wife is gone and the Court is his life. Kind of like the Pope, he won't resign, he will die in office.

Superfly

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Jake056 (Reply 33):
I don't think Rehnquist will ever retire. His wife is gone and the Court is his life. Kind of like the Pope, he won't resign, he will die in office.

That could be a good thing.
If he hangs in there for another 5 years, President Hillary Clinton could pick his succesor.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

dvk

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:22 am

More importantly, we need to keep our fingers crossed that J.P. Stevens, who's well into his 80's, maintains good enough health and stamina to outlast W's second term. If Stevens also retires or dies, there's a good chance we will end up with TWO more ultraconservatives on the court.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

StevenUhl777

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
If he hangs in there for another 5 years, President Hillary Clinton could pick his succesor

Or President Jeb Bush... duck  stirthepot 
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

S12PPL

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 27):
Start up the gas chambers! Dig the burial pits!

Basically  Smile
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

satx

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting Jake056 (Reply 33):
I do think the White House will look for a minority, it will play better in the media.

Also, whenever someone criticizes their new candidate they can claim it's all just racially motivated like they did when some folks were speaking about Condoleezza Rice in a less-than-positive manner. There was no backlash against that tactic from the supposedly liberal media, so I assume the Bush administration will attempt to use it again.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
Hillary Clinton

I don't think Hillary Clinton could ever become president. She is hated (and I mean truly hated) by the 'Family Values' crowd because she's pro-choice (sort of). I think she also intimidates a lot of men who feel that she's too bold for a woman and strongly resent her success in life.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

slider

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 38):
I think she also intimidates a lot of men who feel that she's too bold for a woman and strongly resent her success in life.

This is an element I think is overplayed (not to deviate too much from teh SCOTUS topic at hand). I have no problem with strong women, but let's admit that Hillary has essentially rode Bill's coattails his entire life...her independence is overblown. And she's a carpetbagger.

Quoting SATX (Reply 38):
Also, whenever someone criticizes their new candidate they can claim it's all just racially motivated like they did when some folks were speaking about Condoleezza Rice in a less-than-positive manner.

This is a lose-lose either way: nominate whitey and get criticized; nominate anyone else and get criticized for "pandering" to minorities. Can't win. So why not find the best person for the job period?

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:24 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 38):
Also, whenever someone criticizes their new candidate they can claim it's all just racially motivated like they did when some folks were speaking about Condoleezza Rice in a less-than-positive manner.

Yeah, they'll play that bit again if they nominate Gonzales and everyone goes ballistic on his Gitmo related comments (right now, Gonzales looks like he's the best of a bad lot actually).

But getting back to Rice, a liar is a liar. Whether white (Clinton), or black (Rice).

allstarflyer

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 2):
Any nominee of Bush's will be a right-wing, social facist with his or her head up the butt of his/her "faith".

Scary.

Or . . . the nominee could be a qualified, dignified, upright individual who will interpret the constitution on basis of their own conscience, character and as close as possible to original intent.

I hope some a.netters get nominated, since they know so much on how the laws should be in the the country.

thumbsup  Let's wipe the slate clean and put 7 new ones on there. Chief Justice ANCflyer? I'll buy that. The other 6 - well . . . I'd want to be on that court. DL021 would be good, as well as Avek. Have to throw a mod or two on there, so Ihadapheo and KROC come to mind. One more. Hmm. . . need a far lefty. Hmm. . . nah, no we don't - how about JetJack74? I like that - the Anet Supreme Court. Johan can't have all the fun  silly .

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 22):
The charlatans on the left and right will be hyperventilating on TV and..A.net as well to state how the country will be devastated if Bush gets his way or if the democrats get their way

Good call. Another reason to go outside or sleep.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 32):
We have the Christian Coalition hydra and all its minions hell bent on avoiding any moderation on the bench whatsoever.

Where's the hyperventilation smilie for you? Yeah, some moderation is good, and not all the Christians out there are going to go nuts about having an uptight, extremist conservative on the bench. Being able to be flexible and workable among the other justices will be critical, although, I wouldn't want a justice who would compromise (the definition of Washington) his/her standards on a major issue.

Nat Hentoff wrote a decent book a while back "Living The Bill Of Rights", and in it he spoke of one justice (I left my book in Illinois, so I've forgotten which one - I think Bill Douglas) who was recognized because of his work in the SEC and, then, when he went to the Court, he turned out to be a driving force in social issues. And remember David Souter - the Republicans thought that they were getting a right-winger who turned out to be a moderate (and even seemingly leftist) as an Associate Justice. Just remember, no matter who gets nominated, the person could turn out to be something different that what we expect, for good or bad.

-R
Living the American Dream

ANCFlyer

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:33 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 15):
Well, i'm preparing for a repeat of the Clarence Thomas hearings.

With the current state of affairs in the partisan halls of government, this confirmation will make the Clarence Thomas affair look like a sunday Church picnic!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jaysit

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 41):
Where's the hyperventilation smilie for you? Yeah, some moderation is good, and not all the Christians out there are going to go nuts about having an uptight, extremist conservative on the bench.

I'm talking Christian Coalition, the organization - not "Christians."

And, yes, the fundamentalist organizations that control this Presidency - the Christian coalition, the Traditional Value Coalition, the Family Research Council, the Eagle Forum to name just a few - will be demanding THEIR very own candidate, blessed by the Evangelical Ayatollahs.

Of course, Bush could prove us all wrong and show strains of the consensus maker he was touted to be while Governor of Texas.

But I highly doubt it.

CORULEZ05

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:54 am

another uptight old geezer leaving?????? SWEET...now let's move on because no one really cares...they are all the same.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 44):
now let's move on because no one really cares...they are all the same.

If you really think that, you're more naive than I ever thought.

B747-437B

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:39 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 19):
I have a strong hunch it'll be the Chief Judge of the 4th Circuit, William Wilkins.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=WGW2707
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:41 pm

LOL. Different William Wilkins, Sean  Wink I meant William Walter Wilkins

L-188

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:50 pm

This nomination is going to get really ugly, short of GW nominating Judge Judy.

The democrats will go back on their "no fillibuster" promise of a couple months ago.

Any person the president nominates will be block by left for political gain.

What this country really needs is more justices such as Scalia and Thomas. Those men write excellent opinons (Thomas in particular), understand that their job is to interpret the US constitution (Scalia has a period thesarus he references terminolgy in the contitution), not bring in forgien precendents (something that Ginsburg and Souter unfortunately and illegally do).

If we could get a justice of equal caliber in there, this country would be better off.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jetjack74

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:34 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 16):
Janice Brown does not have the experience

She has no experience? She has all the experience in the world. She has the experience of being on the California State Supreme Court for the better part of 10 years. That's all the experiance she needs. She is definately a candidate for the appointment. The fact that she was "JUST" appointed to the DC Circuit is moot. She is a candidate, absolutely.
Here's her Resumé:

Experience: 1979 - 1987 California Department of Justice
Attorney General’s Office
Deputy Attorney General

1987 - 1990 State of California
Business, Transportation & Housing Agency
Deputy Secretary & General Counsel

1990 - 1991 Nielsen, Merksamer, Parinello, Mueller & Naylor
Senior Associate

1991 - 1994 Governor Pete Wilson’s Office
Legal Affairs Secretary

1994 - 1996 California Court of Appeals for the Third District
Associate Justice

1998 - 1999 University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law
Adjunct Professor

1996 - present California Supreme Court
Associate Justice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited 2005-07-02 06:38:46]
Made from jets!