airlinelover

People Are SO Stupid Sometimes!

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:41 am

so I am checking a lady into the hotel where I work. She gives me her credit card, I run it, and it is declined. I tell her I'm sorry but your card was declined and she goes ballistic. "WHAT? What do you MEAN IT'S DELCINED? HOW can it be DECLINED? there's no WAY it can be DECLINED! What do you mean it's DELCINED? MY card could NEVER be DECLINED!"

Like I have anything to do with it :-p What the hell am I supposed to say? Umm Its declined because it wasn't accepted. It was Declined, or rejected. Declined is simply declined maam...

Damn people ! Realize that if that happens it's your own damn fault!

What stupid stuff do ppl at your work say to you???

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

ArmitageShanks

RE: People Are SO Stupid Sometimes!

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:48 am

Psh, stupid stuff like "Waaa waaa waaa my house is on fire help bla bla bla."

I hate working at 911.

TedTAce

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:52 am

You mean that I can't recover the data that I wrote 3 months ago to a tape that I use daily for my ovewriting backup?  banghead 
This space intentionally left blank

BR076

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
Psh, stupid stuff like "Waaa waaa waaa my house is on fire help bla bla bla."

I hate working at 911.

that is really annoying indeed, crybabys, take a bucket with water bitch.
ú

emiratesa345

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:56 am

I was picking the garbage in a park the one day with a bucket in one hand and a stick with a nail on the end in the other. Some lady walks up and asks "What are you doing?"

What the hell could I possibly be doing with a litter picker and a bucket?  

Mark

[Edited 2005-07-02 02:00:49]
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

flyAUA

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Thread starter):

"Unable to maintain rate of descent/climb"
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

NoUFO

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:02 am

Realize that if that happens it's your own damn fault!

Or that of the credit card company - as it was in my case when my amex was declined in a shop *rrrrrGGGGRRRGRGRGRrrrrrrr*. Embarassing in front of all those people, but I didn't go ballistic.

When I was still working for an ISP, I got a call by a client who wanted us to create a website for his company. Fine, but he stressed that he wanted to see his website "broadcasted" (!) exclusively within Berlin and Brandenburg to keep things more affordable.
I tried hard to convince him that it would be impossible to keep Belgians and Australians from visiting his website but with no luck. He eventually hung up on me.

Several clients asked me why I created their websites the size of a cigarette pack.
"Please click the middle button in the top, right hand corner of the browser window."
"Ahhhh .... soohohoo ....."

Weirdos.

[Edited 2005-07-02 02:07:15]
I support the right to arm bears

carmenlu15

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:02 am

Ahh, customer service... I had those "MY card could NEVER be DECLINED!" pax all the time!

Or how about "Hello? Uh, where am I calling?" after having heard the company name at least 3 times...  banghead 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

aloges

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 6):
Fine, but he stressed that he only wanted to see his website "broadcasted" (!) within Berlin and Brandenburg to keep things more affordable.

Kind of like the "My son is SO dead! He chatted long distance! With someone from Europe!!" thing that made the TOP100 at bash.org... Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

bohica

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:36 am

I answer the phone and say "This is _______." Then the first words out of their mouth is "Who's this?"

Shawn Patrick

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:52 pm

"$4 for a HOT DOG???" I agree, but I don't set the prices, stop bitching at me.

God I hate working in food jobs.

trav110

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:26 pm

"Tell them in the kitchen to get my damn food!" (I'm not even a watier. What do you want me to do?)

"The music is blaring in my ears, PLEASE get it turned down now." (That's funny, I hardly noticed.)

"Excuse me, the sun is in my eyes, could you close the shutter?" (Your back is towards the window, idiot.)

"It's cold in here." (Ok, this lady looked pretty miserably cold as if she'd been cast into the last ice age.... so I got the A/C turned down.)

Ah, bitchy restaurant goers. Never become one, please  yuck 

S12PPL

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:48 pm

"I'm about to declare bankrupcy. How long do I have to wait before I should apply for a home loan?" When they don't like to hear three years:

"Well I was told two years max for my bankrupcy to clear....Why would they tell me that??" (Perhaps because they have no fricken clue that no one will touch you for at LEAST three years...and they just want to lead you on a little??)
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:53 pm

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 4):
What the hell could I possibly be doing with a litter picker and a bucket

bigthumbsup 

Walking out of the House & the friendly Neighbour says "Are you going out"  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

57AZ

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Let's see. When I issue hardsealed copies of Orders of Protection to petitioners who have head their request granted, there is some basic information we as deputy clerks are required to give them regarding the orders, their rights as petitioners and the rights of the defendants that may affect them. The first thing I tell them is that the orders must be served on the defendant before they become effective. Once served on the defendant, they are effective for one year from the DATE OF SERVICE-not the day that the orders were issued. They mus have either the Pima County Sheriff's Department or a private process server make service on the other party. One of them asks "Can I serve him/her the papers myself?" or "Can I have the police serve him?" Then they express surprise when I tell them that under Arizona state law, only law enforcement officers or a licensed private process server may serve restraining orders. As for the police, they will only serve protective orders in an emergency situation-ie the other party is attempting to make contact with them.

Then there are the folks who come in to get passports and get annoyed when I find something missing from their passport application and decline to accept it. They'll say stuff like "I've never had this problem before" or "the other clerk/website didn't say I needed it." Look folks, we don't make the passport policies. The US Department of State is very finicky about everything being precisely correct. It's actually better for you to have us tell you what's missing, you go home and get the necessary documentation and come back eitther later the same day or the next day than to have us send it off to the passport agency and them call you two weeks later saying they can't process it due to incomplete documentation.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

JamieD

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:14 pm

aerorobnz

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:44 pm

"Do I have to pay my departure tax?"
"I'm a Jade frequent flyer (who isn't?)- any chance of an upgrade? (Yes, if you can afford to pay for it)"
"Where's the Qantas Check in?" (as they stand right next to the 3 metre long 'Qantas' text on the wall)
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Matt D

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:43 pm

From back when I was working at Pizza Hut, 1993-1994:

"How many slices come on a medium?"
"Eight"
"Any way you can cut it into four? I can't eat 8 slices of pizza."
"Whatever you want sir"

flyAUA

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:46 am

Quoting JamieD (Reply 15):
Aloges: http://www.bash.org/?142934

Quoting Matt D (Reply 17):
"How many slices come on a medium?"
"Eight"
"Any way you can cut it into four? I can't eat 8 slices of pizza."
"Whatever you want sir"

Hahaha, I am still laughing  bigthumbsup 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Birdwatching

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 5):
"Unable to maintain rate of climb"

A340 pilot, eh? Got you!  Smile
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

satx

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:01 am

Want some cheese with all that whine?

Almost all of these posts are just describing the sort of things that go with any job. What's the big deal? If you don't like dealing with customers or other folks who are not intimately familiar with your duties, then get a job where you only have to speak with colleagues and superiors instead.

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 11):
Ah, bitchy restaurant goers. Never become one, please yuck

Ah, bitchy restaurant workers. Never listen to them.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

AC_A340

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:36 am

I used to work at a convenience store. Some people refused to pay sales tax. These were the same people that didn't complain about paying $11.40 for a pack of smokes, but made a stink about paying tax on 50 cents worth of twizzlers.

seb146

Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting AC_A340 (Reply 21):
Some people refused to pay sales tax. These were the same people that didn't complain about paying $11.40 for a pack of smokes, but made a stink about paying tax on 50 cents worth of twizzlers.

Washington state has an agreement with Alaska, Oregon, Montana, Guam, and a few provinces: show your photo ID and the tax is waived. California does not have this agreement. I heard one woman say she yelled at clerks in California until they were in tears and finally got the tax removed just because "They do it for me in Washington!" Big f*cking deal! So, now you feel like such a great person because you shaved $3 off your bill and made someone working too hard for minimum wage feel even worse.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

flyingnanook

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:26 am

I have lots of stupid customer stories.

I worked in a museum in Alaska for 3 years. Tourists up here are great. Here are some quotes.

American tourist: Why the hell don't you take Canadian money!?
Me: Sir, we don't take Canadian money because this is America.
A.T. No it isn't! It's not America like the states are!
Me: *blink blink blink* I'm sorry sir, I can't take Canadian money here.

Tourist: When can I see the northern lights? I was up all night looking for them and all I saw were these funny looking long, green clouds. What were those?
Me: *blink blink blink* Ma'am, those were the northern lights.

Tourist: (to me) Are you an Eskimo?
Me: (with a smile) No ma'am, I am not. (I am so white, I glow in the dark)
Meanwhile, my Athabaskan coworker (who looks very much Eskimo) was standing behind me and laughing.

Tourist (to my Hispanic coworker): Why don't your people open up Denali to RV's?!
Co-worker: I'll look into that ma'am.

Then there were the countless people who drove past me while I was sitting in front of the museum while on lunch who would ask me where the museum was. I just had to point behind me and try not to laugh.

Not really stupid, but while I'm on the subject...
Tourist (to coworker): That's a nice rack you got there.
Coworker: Excuse me? (confused, not offended)
Tourist: What's the spread on those antlers?
He was talking about the antlers on display in the gallery the whole time.

One more story, not museum related.
The University bookstore, where I currently work, was closed last week for inventory. I hung signs (bright pink, blue, yellow, and green) on all of the doors to the building and on the closed (solid wood) doors of the store itself. I was coming down the stairs to go back into the store to count inventory when I saw these people in front of the store doors confused as to why they were closed. Then they read the sign aloud. "Closed for inventory. We will reopen on Wednesday July 6" Then they still tried the door handles several times. They read the closed sign aloud and still had to try the doors to see if they were unlocked!! WTF?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

trav110

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 20):
Ah, bitchy restaurant workers. Never listen to them.

Yeah, thanks for that. Bitchy? I believe the question asked was "What stupid stuff to people at your work say to you?". So, everyone who actually responds to this topic in a relevant manner (something I guess you don't grasp) could be thought of as bitchy. And if you don't think every single restaurant employee hasn't bitched at least once about something or somebody in the restaurant, you're sorely mistaken my friend.

Quoting SATX (Reply 20):
. What's the big deal? If you don't like dealing with customers or other folks who are not intimately familiar with your duties, then get a job where you only have to speak with colleagues and superiors instead.

When did I say I disliked it? Friendly people outnumber the idiots 100 to 1, and the aforementioned encounters don't happen often. I love working with people, getting to know them, etc. But like I said, there are always the unfortunate few. And even if I disagree with a customers motives, if the request is as was described earlier, i'll do it for them eventually.

Nice try.

AR1300

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:55 pm

Stupid like this?? http://www.big-boys.com/articles/mary.html

I think that it is a genetic thing.

mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

TedTAce

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 26):
Stupid like this?? http://www.big-boys.com/articles/mar....html

looks like a Vonage commercial qualifier to me  Smile

satx

Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 25):
So, everyone who actually responds to this topic in a relevant manner (something I guess you don't grasp) could be thought of as bitchy.

There are some things people do or don't do that can clue you in a little on how smart they are. Most of the posts on this thread, however, are just listing routine daily interactions that have little if anything to do with discovering someone's intelligence or lack thereof. The complete inability of some folks to place themselves in other people's shoes gets really old after a while. If everyone who posted here was held to the same standards they apparently measure everyone else by, well, we'd be looking at a lot of stupid people.

sovietjet

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:14 am

I work at Best Buy, TV and audio department...here's the dumbest things I've heard.

Customer: I'm looking for speakers
Me: Speakers for a home theater system?
Customer: No, I'm looking for surround sound not home theater

Customer: What is the difference between these two TVs
Me:
Customer: Oh it doesn't matter, Samsung makes all the TVs for all manufacturers now they have been making everything for 2 years already

Customer: Excuse me sir, what's the difference between HDTV and plasma?
Me: I didn't even bother to answer that actually instead I just kept walking

Customer looks at tag which says in big bold letters (27" Flat Sony...blah) and then asks me: Is this TV flat?

Customer standing right in front of the DVD players: Where are the DVD players?
Me: I point to them and dont even say anything making sure she felt stupid lol

This is not really an individual customer story but what I hate most is Saturday and Sunday because all these losers come out and are completely ignorant about technology, haven't done any research, and just have nothing better to do on a nice Saturday afternoon than to come in and just look at stuff. The most annoying are the ones that ask me the most basic stuff like "what's home theater", "what are dvd recorders", "What is HDTV" and I have to spend all this time explaining them everything from the basics and in the end they never buy anything....

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:22 am

which is worse, venting out our frustration anonymously here, or on the next poor unassuming customer that turns up? Sorry but those that are bitching about those of us that posted anecdotes have to realise that is you don't vent somewhere it is likely that for each case it will build up over time until it becomes the hair that breaks the camels back, and you snap at a passenger. I would rather get it off my chest and not snap than save it all up and snap at an unfortunate passenger anyday, anytime.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

airlinelover

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:13 am

Had a guy come into the hotel a couple nights ago.. here's how it went

Guy: I want a room
Me: What type
Guy: Smoking 1 bed
Me: ok, price is 79.95+ tx
Guy: Ok, give me a key, I'll pay you tomorrow
Me: No, you pay THEN get the key
Guy: Why?
Me:...
Guy: Ok, f*** you then, bye!
---------------------

Also, we are close to Detroit, so a lot of the people from the ghetto bring their 5 kids to swim at our pool.. Here's a standard line:

Customer: I want a room
Me: How many nights?
Cust: 1
Me: How many people
Cust: 2, just me and my husband
Me: Ok, 79.95 + tx
Cust: Ok..

So I go through, I check them in, and 5 minutes later they have 5 kids piling into a room with 1 king bed. I call them

Me: Ma'am//Sir, I am calling becuase you have all these kids going into your room, you only told me 2 people for the night. Is that correct?
Cust: Yes, but I also brought my kids so they can swim. They'll sleep on the floor.
Me: I'm sorry, but fire code says no more then 3 people in they room style youj have. Also, the signs at the pool and the desk say only REGISTERED GUESTS may use the pool. No one not listed for the room.
Cust: Why?
Me: It's a liability issue. I can switch you to a room with 2 double beds but the max in there is 5 total people. The price would be $94.95 + tx.
Cust:.... Nevermind, we won't swim *click*

A couple minutes later, they take the kids to the car and drive off. Then, 4 hrs later, they come in and try to take all 5 kids to the pool. I go to the pool. Here's how it goes:

Me: Ma'am/sir, What is your room #?
Cust: ### (whatever)
Me: Well, your room only has 2 people listed for it. You can't have 2 adults and 5 kids in the pool.
Cust: I know, you told me that earlier. I thought you was kidding.
Me: I'm actually very serious. You need to get these kids out of the pool and take them somewhere else, becuase you are way over your limit for the room type you have.
Cust: Fine.

The next day, tehy bitch to the mgr in the morning. The mgr calls me up, verifies that they had that many people in the pool, AND tells me that a fire dept inspector was there at the same time, overheard the whole thing, and told the mgr that I did a very good job.
--------------------------------------------------------

Here's a classic one from when I was a Flight Attendant:

Pax: Sir?
Me: yes?
Pax: Why do we need a passport or birth certificate for Cancun? Isn't it in the United States?!?
Me:......................
-------------------------------------------------------

Got this earlier today here at the hotel:

(A lady called and asked a ton of ?'s about the rooms, and weekly rates and stuff, this is near the end Smile

Me: The weekly rate for 2 is $350.00 + Tx, based on 2 people
Gst: Do you accept xxxxx
Me: I'm sorry, I did not understand?
Gst: Do you take pets?
Me: I'm sorry, we do not allow pets.
Gst: NO! KIDS!
Me: Umm. I'm not sure what you mean by "accept kids", but kids do stay here often with their parents.
Gst: Thanks *click*

--------------------------
IDIOTS!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

United737522

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:16 am

I have had someone order mixed nuts as a topping, then after receiving it, they ask, is there peanuts in here, I am allergic to peanuts. Arghhh...
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

jfkaua

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:27 am

At the amusment park I work at I always get parents who bring there 3ft children on and I say sorry but you have to be 44" to ride with a parent.. They say it doesnt say that on the sign.. So I walk to the end of the qeue and point right to where it says "Under 44" may not ride." The look on their face followed by silence is worth the walk every time...

j.mo

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:28 am

I had this one guy call for a weather briefing from the midwest to Utah.

Pilot: I need some weather from you for a flight.
Me: Okay, where are you flying today?

Pilot: Well, I am out of KLBF (Neb.) going direct KOGD (Utah).
Me: You have a Thunderstorm Watch Box for severe T-storms as well as convective activity building across the Western 2/3 of Wyoming and most of Northern Colorado.

Pilot: Yeah, but that's not along my route. Is there anything along my route?
Me: (repeat my last statement)

Pilot: Yeah I know but that's like all north of me.
Me: Uhh, sir. It's basically along MOST of your route. Wyoming and Colorado are between you and Utah.

Pilot: I have no idea, I left my charts in the plane.
Me: Huh? Anything else you need today sir?  Confused

And I talk to at least 2-3 pilots a week that have either no idea what airport they are at, or are going to. GPS is great, but it's making pilots dumber.  sigh 

Jeremy

KLM685

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting Jfkaua (Reply 32):
The look on their face followed by silence is worth the walk every time...

LOOOOLL!!!!! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY WITH THAT COMMENT!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

satx

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 28):
I work at Best Buy, TV and audio department...here's the dumbest things I've heard.

These are the best you could come up with?

Customer: No, I'm looking for surround sound not home theater

To someone who is not an electronics geek like you, 'surround sound' often implies something less sophisticated and thus less expensive and less involved than a full-blown 'home theater'. Get over yourself. You sound like every other useless salesperson working at Best Buy.

Customer: Excuse me sir, what's the difference between HDTV and plasma?
Me: I didn't even bother to answer that actually instead I just kept walking

This is an honest question that deserved an honest answer. Unfortunately, you apparently picked a job that you're terrible at and refused to help the very folks you're paid to assist.

Customer looks at tag which says in big bold letters (27" Flat Sony...blah) and then asks me: Is this TV flat?

Flat Screen and Flat Panel are two very confusing terms to a lot of customers. What's your problem anyway? I guess you thought that working at Best Buy would be great because everybody would already know as much as you do. Well, you were wrong and now you take it out on the customers. On the other hand, if customers really knew as much as you do, then they wouldn't be ignorant enough to buy your useless service plans and over-priced accessories that pay your wages.

Customer standing right in front of the DVD players: Where are the DVD players?
Me: I point to them and dont even say anything making sure she felt stupid lol

How exactly is that any more 'stupid' than someone who works as a salesperson but refuses to help anyone they don't feel is 'educated' enough?

The most annoying are the ones that ask me the most basic stuff like "what's home theater", "what are dvd recorders", "What is HDTV" and I have to spend all this time explaining them everything from the basics and in the end they never buy anything....

You picked a sales job. Your job is to speak with customers. Deal with it or find a new job.

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 29):
which is worse, venting out our frustration anonymously here, or on the next poor unassuming customer that turns up?

If those are your only choices, then you might want to consider finding a new job.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:58 am

Here's my list, all real comments I've had over the phone. If there's a "X2", that's how many times I've been asked that question....

1. Can I bring a trapeze on the flight?
2. Why don't you fly from Newport News to Tri-Cities non-stop?
3. What time does the flight from Atlanta get in? X3
4. What brand of cookies do you guys serve?
5. Will my Sam's Club card get me a discount on the fare? X3
6. Can I check in my bags online? (16OCT03)
7. Do I need a passport to travel within the United States? (17OCT03)
8. What is the phone number for United Health Care? (27OCT03)
9. Do you guys fly to Atlanta? (31OCT01) X3
10. What is the charge for parking at JFK? (08NOV03) X2
11. What is the airport code for JFK? (17NOV03) X2
12. Can I bring 10 boxes with me on the aircraft? (12DEC03)
13. Can you page someone on the aircraft for me? (02JAN04)
14. Do you really expect my 3 year old to carry his own bag on the aircraft? (02JAN04)
15. Does "one way" mean there and back? (10JAN04)
16. What time did my canceled flight on January 7th end up leaving? (10JAN04)
17. Can I send my three year old on a flight by himself? (19JAN04)
18. Can I get a red eye flight between Jacksonville and Atlanta? (20JAN04)
19. Why does it take 3 hours to fly JFK-LAX, but it takes 8 hours to fly back? (10FEB04)
20. Do you guys fly from Beverly Hills to LAX? (17FEB04)
21. My friends are going to pick me up in Hartford, where are they going to park? (28MAR04)
22. Can you guys get someone other than the TSA to search my bags? (28MAR04)
23. Is Jamaica international or part of the United States? (30APR04)
24. Can I bring a can of sardines on the aircraft? (28JUN04)
25. How do you get a taxi? (05JUL04)
26. What is a Canadiar regional Jet called? (15JUL04)
27. Are seats 2C and 2D next to each other? (08AUG04)
28. Do you think there will be a hurricane in Texas in October? (17SEP04)
29. Are people flying a lot because it’s football season? (18SEP04)
30. How long does it take to drive from Framingham, Mass. to New York? (09OCT04)
31. When did you start charging the September 11th security fee? (21OCT04)
32. Do you know if the banks are open on Saturdays so I can get a loan? (03DEC04)
33. What’s the temperature going to be in CVG next week? (17DEC04)
34. How am I getting from Atlanta to Cincinnati? (19DEC04)
35. Do I need to buy a ticket for my infant who is 1 year and 18 months old? (19JAN05)
36. Can I check in for my flight over my fax machine? (19JAN05)
37. If I don’t pay for my tickets, am I still going to be able to get on the flight? (03FEB04)

Stupidity is a cancer on society.

A340600

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:06 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 4):
I was picking the garbage in a park the one day with a bucket in one hand and a stick with a nail on the end in the other. Some lady walks up and asks "What are you doing?"

LOL, it's almost like when people fall over badly, they have a bone sticking out, blood everywhere, and someone walks up to them and asks, "Are you OK?". Classic biggrin 
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

NoUFO

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:21 am

Quoting SATX,reply=35 on sovietjet:
If those are your only choices, then you might want to consider finding a new job.

Second that!

NonRevKing, Questions like "are seats 2C and 2D next to each other?" are honest questions. There could be the aisle in between. Same with other questions you have listed.
I support the right to arm bears

satx

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 36):
Stupidity is a cancer on society.

Just like bitching about the 'stupidity' of others?

Quoting A340600 (Reply 37):
LOL, it's almost like when people fall over badly, they have a bone sticking out, blood everywhere, and someone walks up to them and asks, "Are you OK?"

Wow, I am really curious just what the 'accepted' phrase should be. No, really, I mean it. Please, tell the rest of us what exactly you're supposed to say when you first see someone in shock after they have been badly injured.

The benefit of speaking with an injured person is two fold. One goal is to try and determine what condition they are in and the other is to help keep them awake and alert. In the English language, asking 'Are you OK' is a generic question than can be answered in any number of ways. The idea is to get some feedback from the injured person.

[Edited 2005-07-04 02:32:48]

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:45 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 39):
Wow, I am really curious just what the 'accepted' phrase should be. No, really, I mean it. Please, tell the rest of us what exactly you're supposed to say when you first see someone in shock after they have been badly injured.

Stay still and remain calm, help has been contacted. Is there anything you need to tell me?

Quoting SATX (Reply 39):
Just like bitching about the 'stupidity' of others?

Um, no, nothing like it. Instead of defending the stupid, why don't you try to educate them?

Look, we're all just having a laugh here, I don't think anyone is taking this too seriously. Get a sense of humor.

B

[Edited 2005-07-04 02:47:13]

airlinelover

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:31 am

Look, we're all just having a laugh here, I don't think anyone is taking this too seriously. Get a sense of humor.

Yep!!

NonRevKing- you reminded me of some Big grin

I HATE this one:

Cust: Yeah, I know the rate is normally 94.95 + tx. I got a 79.95 rate, ok. I also got AAA, AARP, Sams Club, Costco, AllState insurance, etc etc.. What's my rate now?

Me (In my head): What makes you idiots think you should get a discount cause you shop at Sams Club, Costco, have allstate insurance, or are old?!? You're not any more special then anyone else who walks in here!

Me (Out Loud): 84.95+tx.
----------------------------------------------

Let's see.. The stupidest ones:

Can I have a corporate discount? I work for a living. (What do you think I'm doing here?!)

Check in is at 3pm? Can I check-in at 6am? (Sure, pay for an extra 1/2 day and only if a room is ready)

Where do you plus in the wire for the wireless internet?

EXACTLY where are you located? (Sorry idiots, I'm not a GPS system)

Every time I come to this city, I hate it more. (Then stop coming!)

Which hookers in the city give the best head? (Uhhhhhhhhhhh)

Where can I get some good weed? (What the fuck)

You're all sold out? What about jacuzzis? (Sold out means sold out!)

What room is xxx in? I gotta bust her ass! (Like I would give it out even if I was allowed to)

------------------------------

Some of these replies are making me LMAO!

Chris (usually posting from work nowadays)

AirWest

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:32 am

I was waiting in the gate area at DTW once and a woman came up to the captain of my flight, who was doing his paperwork near the counter, and asked him if he sold newspapers. How would she think that? Since when do pilots sell newspapers?
"And now I wish I was somewhere other than here"- JB

TPASXM787

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:45 am

Me: I'm showing a reposession with Ford Credit. What happened?
Customer: That wasn't a repo. We gave it back.

Customer: Why is my rate so high? You people have really bad rates on your loans.
Me: Perhaps if you had not charged off 5 credit cards and had a repo, you could get a 5% rate at your bank. Paying your bills is important.

Customer: Why am I turned down. I pay my bills on time.
Me: If you didn't owe twice what your car is worth, you'd be set.

I get all the good ones. If I had more time I could remember more...lol.
This is the Last Stop.

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:08 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 35):

Why? I love my job, and I'm good at it. I always go out of my way for my passengers when I'm on shift (and also after my shift ends/in my own time). All my jobs have been customer based and I've never had any trouble at all with that. I love working with them, but some do ask the most inane questions. The point of the original post was just for a laugh - don't take it so seriously.

Another story, I had a meet and assist passenger that I was personally escorting to gate having checked her in, she had ample opportunity to ask me before I took her through customs to say "Excuse me can I just pick up a cabin bag from my son?". But oh no....having been through 2 security checks and a passport check she asks me " Can I go and pick up my hand luggage from my son? I want to travel with it" ....At this stage I'm just scanning her boarding pass and walking her down the airbridge onto the plane...

TedTAce

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:41 pm

Quoting J.mo (Reply 33):
And I talk to at least 2-3 pilots a week that have either no idea what airport they are at, or are going to. GPS is great, but it's making pilots dumber.

(FS 200X speaking) I REALLY hate to admit this, but VFR flying aside, GPS is about the only way I get around until I hit my localizers..Very sad I know...Probably part of why I never made a carreer of flying.

satx

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 40):
Instead of defending the stupid, why don't you try to educate them?

I'm trying...and failing apparently.  Big grin

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 40):

I happen to have an over-active sense of humor that can laugh at things most folks would never dream of laughing at. However, publicly bitching about one's job is just so passé these days. Unless you're an uneducated, unskilled worker in a one-industry Hicksville, you can change your career path any number of times until you find something that you enjoy and you're good at.

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 43):
Me: I'm showing a reposession with Ford Credit. What happened?
Customer: That wasn't a repo. We gave it back.

Priceless.  Big grin This actually had me LOL.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 46):
I happen to have an over-active sense of humor that can laugh at things most folks would never dream of laughing at. However, publicly bitching about one's job is just so passé these days. Unless you're an uneducated, unskilled worker in a one-industry Hicksville, you can change your career path any number of times until you find something that you enjoy and you're good at.

Um, no, that's not the point. Too many people are just stupid. I'm sorry if that hits too close to home for you.

B

satx

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 47):
Um, no, that's not the point. Too many people are just stupid.

Don't worry, you're doing an excellent job proving this 'point' to everyone, although perhaps not in the manner you originally intended.  Big grin

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 47):
I'm sorry if that hits too close to home for you.

If that was an attempt at a joke, well, it's pretty flat. Put some more effort into it next time. I can laugh at my own foibles just like anyone else, so long as there's at least the tiniest modicum of effort to place them in a humorous context. As it is, the only part of your post that even begins to ring true is that you're sorry.

Anyway, my point is that if sovietjet called you at work or you walked into his Best Buy department, you'd probably both think the other one was 'stupid' simply because neither of you were experts in each other's chosen field. Then again, maybe you'd both be right.  Big grin

1MillionFlyer

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:26 am

My brother's friend worked in an auto dealership somethings he has heard:

"How much is the monthly payment, including the late charge"

"I don't have bad credit, I have slow credit"
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure