707CMF
Topic Author

London Vs Paris 2012, The Official Olympic Thread

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:27 pm

Next wednesday, Singapore shall (...) tell us which of those cities will (...) hold the 2012 Olympics.

Living in Paris, I am one of the few who honestly wish London shall get the bid.

What about you guys ? Who do you think shall get the bid, who do you want to get the bid ?

Cheers,

AR1300

RE: London Vs Paris 2012, The Official Olympic Thread

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 pm

wasn't NY on this too???

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

Toulouse

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:35 pm

Yeah AR1300, NY was/is a candidate, but a while ago Paris, London and Madrid were announced as the three favourites in that order by the Organisers.

[Edited 2005-07-04 10:35:31]
Long live Aer Lingus!

scbriml

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 pm

NY couldn't seem to make up its mind as to whether it really wanted the games or not.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. As proud as Id be if London won, I'd be concerned that we'd make an almighty fcuk-up of it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:05 pm

Paris should get it - they have the least to do in terms of building new infrastructure, transport, stadia etc. Plus Paris is a tourist gridlock nightmare in summer anyway, adding the games won't make it much worse. Most Parisians leave the city around then anyway and come infest us down at the coast.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

BNE

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:08 pm

I don't really care who gets it, Paris or London.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

nycflyer

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:10 pm

go New York!!! Paris will win the most votes in the first round, but no one will get a majority, so once Moscow and Madrid are knocked out and it's NYC vs. LON vs. PAR, watch out

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
NY couldn't seem to make up its mind as to whether it really wanted the games or not.

People want the games. It's a small number of selfish politicians who stonewalled plans for the west side stadium. But the organizers have already drawn up approved blueprints for an alternate stadium. It's not in Manhattan, but it will be much easier to build.

gkirk

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Well if Paris is indeed in France, it will surrender and London will win.
 duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

7FTwinOtter

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:34 pm

I dont think New York has a chance, America has had its fair share of Olympics in the last few decades (LA 84, Atlanta 96, salt lake city 02). I think its neck and neck between Paris and London. Do I care which one gets it? Not in the slightest, both would be good.

QANTASforever

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:47 pm

I think London will get it.

NY simply hasn't expressed the necessary support for the notion. Moscow had it too recently as Spain did with Barcelona, and I think French industrial action at the construction stage and eventually during the games will concern the IOC too much to award it to them.

So I think it will be London. The UK could stage an excellent games, and London could certainly use the improvements in infrastructure associated with the Olympics.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:47 pm

My money would be on Paris for a number of reasons including that many venues needed already exist and others can be cheaply modified or added as needed (as happened with Los Angeles), have strong existing tourist and transportation infratructure (many hotels, very good Metro, Regional and long distance rail service, good large airports like CDG and 2 smaller airports). I also feel it is time for an EC country to host them, and the politics of France, while somewhat conterversial per the USA, is less of a problem for many particpating countries. USA/NYC has infrastructure problems, London has local transit infrastructure problems, Russia/Moscow - terrible infrastructure for tourists, horrendously corrupt government, questionable personal safety issues. As to Madrid, the Olympics were perviously held in Barcelona not that many years ago, along with infrastructure issues.

QANTASforever

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:49 pm

Wow. I just realised that in 2012 it will have been 20 years since the Barcelona Olympics.

Sheesh!

QFF

EGGD

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:52 pm

I don't really mind either way. To me, it's too close to call, i'd say Paris just on the basis that it's probably the better equipped-to-cope of the two.

jamman

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:59 pm

I'm not really bothered who wins, I reckon both cities would make a good job of it, both spectactular cities in their own right.

Now if Manchester was in the running that would be another matter   (I know I'm in cloud cuckoo land)

[Edited 2005-07-04 17:02:00]
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

flpuck6

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:04 am

I have already decided I'm taking my vacation summer 2012 in Paris ... that is when Paris is announced as the host city  Wink LOL!

I really feel that Paris and its citizens really want it, the advertising and the efforts to show they can handle the Games is amazing.
Bonjour Chef!

jetjack74

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 6):
go New York!!! Paris will win the most votes in the first round, but no one will get a majority, so once Moscow and Madrid are knocked out and it's NYC vs. LON vs. PAR, watch out

Sorry NYCFlyer, I don't think it'll be New York. I think it'll be London(I hope), because when was the last time England has hosted the Olympics? What was it, like 1920. In the last 30 years, no country other than the US has hosted more Oympic Games than us. Lake Placid, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Salt Lake City. I think the IOC would like to see the games held elsewhere. I think that London has the facilities or the resouces to to build them when needed. The only thing is the weather is so unpredictable.
Made from jets!

BCAL

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:13 am

Being British, I sincerely hope that Paris is chosen over London. For starters, the weather in London is unpredictable and rain will probably result in the games going on for longer than expected. But the real reasons why I do not want the games held in London are

• England's transport system is already almost gridlocked and cannot cope with the normal daily demands. If you add all the extra traffic that would arise if the games were held, I think the roads and rails will come to a standstill unless massive investment and improvement is made immediately.
  • New massive stadiums will have to be built. Whether this is left to private or state enterprises, they will all end up costing millions more than budgeted and will all be plagued by delays in construction
  • When the games are over, we will be left with white elephants just like that Millennium Dome
  • The only reason why Blair wants England to win the bid is for his ego

Sorry but I do not want the Olympic Games to be held in UK.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

jetjack74

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 16):
Sorry but I do not want the Olympic Games to be held in UK

And I don't think the residents in New York want them either. It was Bloomberg's hope that they would get it, but a majority of New Yorkers do not want the games there.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 16):
New massive stadiums will have to be built. Whether this is left to private or state enterprises, they will all end up costing millions more than budgeted and will all be plagued by delays in construction

And not to mention the construction of an Olympic Village, which is a complete waste of money, like the World's Fair sites that were left abandoned for a few years until the cities finally dedicated them as city parks..
Made from jets!

BCAL

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:03 am

Another reason why we do not want the games to be held in London: Massive security measures and higher risk of terrorist attack will disrupt the daily lives of thousands of people. And who pays for the extra security?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

GDB

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 am

London coped OK with Multiple large events just this last weekend.
Or didn't the Daily Mail report that?

And if we start worrying too much about terrorist attacks, we might as well all become reclusive survivalists now, Paris has narrowly avoided terror attacks in recent years, so again, off the medias radar.

London last held the games in 1948, an austere but successful games, despite the terrible condition of the country after WW2, nowhere else in Europe at least was capable of staging them, got the Olympics out of a hole then.

Of course in those days, people tended to get on with things, not listen to the incessant media babble we have now.

IBERIA747

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:07 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
As to Madrid, the Olympics were perviously held in Barcelona not that many years ago, along with infrastructure issues.

What do you mean with "infrastructure issues"?

Madrid was rated as the best out of the 5 candidates for it's communications infrastructure (highways, new airport, the best subway in Europe, etc) and about the sports infrastructure let me tell you that 83% of the needed infrastructure is already built or in process of being built making it the best candidate in that aspect also. Ohhh and don't forget that Madrid has 91% of popular support...above the other candidates also.

The only weakness when it comes to infrastructure is the Hotel accomodation...should be bigger than it is.

Anyway, all of the above won't do much in favour of Madrid as it seems as if the Olympic Comitte had already decided to give the games to Paris. London is also a good candidate but I don't think there's too much they can do to get those games.

NYC and Moscow...I think they "lost the battle" a long time ago.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

N1120A

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting 707CMF (Thread starter):
Living in Paris, I am one of the few who honestly wish London shall get the bid.

I agree that my second home (Los Angeles 1, London 2) should get the 2012 games

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
As proud as Id be if London won, I'd be concerned that we'd make an almighty fcuk-up of it.

Not at all. I think London would really come together to throw a great bash

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 9):
Moscow had it too recently

Does 1980 really count?

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
London has local transit infrastructure problems

London's local transport is similar to Paris.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 17):
And not to mention the construction of an Olympic Village, which is a complete waste of money, like the World's Fair sites that were left abandoned for a few years until the cities finally dedicated them as city parks..

London has published their plan for construction and it is really well laid out and most of The Games will be in an area that is currently not all that crowded, meaning the areas where crowding of transport can be an issue (Central London) will not be as affected. An Olympic Village can easily be converted to other uses. Los Angeles provides a key example where the Olympic Village was at UCLA and then converted to student housing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:19 am

Paris would love to host the Olympics. At no other time could so many Parisians gloat in arrogance when very few people speak to them in French. As usual, they are probably proficient in the visitors' native languages, but play stupid in order to inflate their personal egos. When the poor Australian walks away in confusion, the Parisian will turn to his friend and say, in perfect English, "What a f*cking loser! He should have learned French before coming here."

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

trekster

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:29 am

Would love the London to get it

Hate the city, but i think we are ready to host it, what with all the stuff that happens there, and there is even skope to house some things around the coutny, like in MAN who held the Commonwelth games a few years back

GO LONDON FOR 2012
Where does the time go???

whitehatter

RE: London Vs Paris 2012, The Official Olympic Thr

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 16):

Sorry but I do not want the Olympic Games to be held in UK.

I've got to agree with you and for the reasons you give. London may be the glamourous name, but it is a nightmare in the making.

I really don't believe all the glossy hype and smoothing over of problems that has gone on. A much better location would have been somewhere near Birmingham, based around the existing facilities of the NEC and BHX.

Blair would also not be in Number 10 come 2012, so that I don't agree with. He is promoting it hard because he believes in it and it is also his job. But I would think that secretly he wouldn't be that bothered if Paris wins for the same reasons.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

gkirk

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 pm

Down to London and Paris

Matt27

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Go London!!!  crossfingers 
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

jasepl

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 22):
At no other time could so many Parisians gloat in arrogance when very few people speak to them in French.

He he! Of course, you're assuming that any Parisians at all would bother staying in Paris during the Olympics!

A340600

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:05 pm

I really want London to get it, but I have a feeling Paris may take it,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

707CMF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:06 pm

Go London !!!

Cheers,

Scotty

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:10 pm

Allez Paris  Smile

Cheers aye

Scotty

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:11 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 24):
I really don't believe all the glossy hype and smoothing over of problems that has gone on. A much better location would have been somewhere near Birmingham, based around the existing facilities of the NEC and BHX.

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 27):
He he! Of course, you're assuming that any Parisians at all would bother staying in Paris during the Olympics!

Massive deja vu!

Look, It's going to be 6 years of moaning and groaning about bureaucrats, red tape, bungles, over spending - and then in 2012 it will all fade away and you'll never feel more proud to be British or French.

Hosting the Olympic games is the most amazing thing in the world. And when it comes to the time of the games, you're never going to want it to end. TRUST ME!

QFF

Gman94

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:38 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 31):
Massive deja vu!

Look, It's going to be 6 years of moaning and groaning about bureaucrats, red tape, bungles, over spending - and then in 2012 it will all fade away and you'll never feel more proud to be British or French.

Hosting the Olympic games is the most amazing thing in the world. And when it comes to the time of the games, you're never going to want it to end. TRUST ME!

QFF

Well said QFF too many of my countrymen are always too quick to knock and put down what Britain tries to do, which is a sad character failing of my country. If London gets the games I'll be like a kid in a sweetie shop that can choose anything to eat  bouncy , and we will put on a fantastic games despite what the doubters say.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

BNE

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:49 pm

The winner is London,
Why fly non stop when you can connect

Jaspike

London got it Big grin

Tom

lazyshaun

LONDON HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
I came. I saw. I conquered

gkirk

London have won it! Congratulations!

lazyshaun

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:50 pm

loooooooooooondon have done it!!!!!!!!1
I came. I saw. I conquered

Gman94

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Yes, Yes and more Yes, I can't believe it.  bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy   bouncy 
British Airways - The Way To Fly

707CMF
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Hooraaayyy !!!

(coming from one of the only French wanting the games to be out of Paris !!!)

Cheers,

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm

WELL DONE LONDON!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be such an amazingly wonderful thing. You will do an excellent games - my sincerest best wishes to you all.

BRAVO LONDON!!!!!!

VH-KCT*

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:04 pm

Congratulations, London!  champagne 

Good luck, and enjoy what is a truly fantastic event.
I am The Stig

monteycarlos

In case anyone didn't know - London have it.  tongue 
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

JoKeR

Congratulations London, I know the Serbian Olympic Committee candidly supported the British bid! Well done!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Granite

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi all

Great news for London.

Now let Chirac hobble home with frogs leg's are crutches and a haggis shoved up his a**  Smile

Regards

Gary

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 44):
Now let Chirac hobble home with frogs leg's are crutches and a haggis shoved up his a**

...and chased by a mad cow!

I'd love to see the faces when Blair greets Chirac at the G8 later today. Blair will be grinning even more than usual, and Chirac will look like a Bulldog chewing a wasp.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Pe@rson

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:31 pm

Well done London! I am pleased for you.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AC320

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:35 pm

fuddle duddle