MSYtristar
Topic Author

I'm Glad NYC Didn't Get The Olympics

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:16 am

I know there are two other threads going on, but so be it.

I am glad that NYC didn't get the Olympics. Either London or Paris would have worked for me. I was hoping for Paris for personal reasons but London is just as good. I am tired of always hearing how NYC is the "capital of the world" and the "greatest city in America". It's always good to see the "world's most arrogant city" (in my opinion anyway) be brought back down to earth.

This reminds me of the Super Bowl in 2002, when New Orleans was awarded the game, and New York City started this whole "give us the Super Bowl because of 9/11 campaign...we're hurting." I actually wrote a letter which got published in the USA Today that year talking about how New York wants it all. It was entertaining.

So enough of my ranting. I say congrats to my friends in London, job well done, truly you guys will host the event well.

TWFirst

RE: I'm Glad NYC Didn't Get The Olympics

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:37 am

When New Orleans gets washed into the Gulf, New York will still be the Capital of the World.

You sound like a Frenchman. Jealousy is not an attractive trait, you know.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

aa757first

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
NYC is the "capital of the world" and the "greatest city in America".

And what would you call the greatest city in America?

Capital of the world? No. In the top five? Yes. Actually, if I had to rank it, only London would come before New York.

AAndrew

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:15 am

I think Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, New Orleans, and D.C are all better than NYC. So I guess NYC would make my top ten list in America.

It's hard to pick #1, but if I had to, I'd say Chicago.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:17 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 1):
When New Orleans gets washed into the Gulf, New York will still be the Capital of the World.

That was nice. I'll go down with the city too I guess. But sorry, I don't consider NYC to be the capital of the world. To many it is I'm sure, just not me.

You sound like a Frenchman. Jealousy is not an attractive trait, you know.

Who's jealous?

aa757first

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
I think Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, New Orleans, and D.C are all better than NYC. So I guess NYC would make my top ten list in America.

They might be nicer, or you may prefer them, but they are no where near as important than NYC. Its the financial capital of the world, a huge tourist destination and known worldwide for its restaurants and museums. Sorry, the only one on your list as a NYC rival is D.C.

AAndrew

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:14 am

Being the financial capital of the world doesn't make it the best city in the world. The city is obviously extremely important in regards to business (no one can deny that), but all the cities I mentioned have just as much culture and character as NYC...with the possible exception being Seattle....but Seattle gets on my list due to its scenic location and music scene.

Ibhayi

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:28 am

On the other hand I am quite chuffed that Paris didnt get it.

The tourists will all head there, especially the Americans, and then the rude cab drivers who actually speak english, the hotels with small rooms and bad service, and the general "discontent" towards the english speakers, they seem to have an attitude off arrogance, of we dont want you to the tourists? Then why bid for the damn thing, knowing they will come in droves.

Reminds me of an argument I had with a man at the ticket desk in Versailles.

In england they go more out of their way to help you out than the French do, unless you speak the language.

Well I can entirely understand why they dont like the "Hunny, no lets look at he tour guide it is "camps ilsees" thats where we gotta go, no hunny check the travel guide.
fat girls give the best head because they're hungry

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:30 am

I am tired of always hearing how NYC is the "capital of the world" and the "greatest city in America".

I'm glad simply because the Olympics are generally a money losing proposition. Add to that the fact that I hate pro-sports and the various NYC stadium boondoggles would have gotten a boost from an Olympic win--now they don't have that excuse.

It's always good to see the "world's most arrogant city" (in my opinion anyway) be brought back down to earth.

Yeah but there are more French in Paris!

And that corner of Louisianna will finally smell remotely fresh...
E pur si muove -Galileo

StarAC17

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 am

This reminds me of the Super Bowl in 2002, when New Orleans was awarded the game, and New York City started this whole "give us the Super Bowl because of 9/11 campaign...we're hurting." I actually wrote a letter which got published in the USA Today that year talking about how New York wants it all. It was entertaining.

This is totally besides the point but when has the super bowl ever been in a place where it snows in the winter, I know it's in Detroit this upcoming season but they have a dome stadium and the Jets and the Giants both play in the meadowlands and that is an open field and there is no guarantee that there won't be a huge snowstorm on game day if it was in NYC.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

flylondon

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:35 am

"world's most arrogant city"

Wasn't that city knocked out the final round?  wink 

Airlinerfreak

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 am

think Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, New Orleans, and D.C are all better than NYC. So I guess NYC would make my top ten list in America.

And Los Angeles is where on this list??

Anywho they want to get back in the running for the 2016 games.

B744F

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:47 am

And what are your reason for these cities being ahead of NYC? This whole attitude thing is overrated, go to any city and you will get an attitude from people. What do those cities have that makes them "better" than NY?

102IAHexpress

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:17 am

I am tired of always hearing how NYC is the "capital of the world" and the "greatest city in America". It's always good to see the "world's most arrogant city" (in my opinion anyway) be brought back down to earth.

I don't know if its the worlds most arrogant city, but the American media does like to remind us of how great NYC is. NYC is the number media market in the US, so maybe NYC is the greatest city in America only because other smaller market cities don't have the sophisticated methods of communication that NYC has.

Mexicana757

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:19 am

And what makes NYC so special from other big U.S. cities??

Once again as I said in the other thread of the Olympic bid winner. Congrats LONDON!!!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:21 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 12):
And what are your reason for these cities being ahead of NYC? This whole attitude thing is overrated, go to any city and you will get an attitude from people. What do those cities have that makes them "better" than NY?

I just don't care for NYC too much. Just personal preference. I don't hate the Yankees, I don't hate the people, just not a big fan of the overall NYC experience. Too busy I guess. It's just not a very attractive place. Very overrated. But, it was the home of Pan Am's world headquarters, so that right there ranks it in the top ten.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
And that corner of Louisianna will finally smell remotely fresh...

Yeah Bourbon Street does need a good cleansing every now and again, just not a permanent one as would be the case if the city got swallowed up in the Gulf.  Smile

B744F

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 14):

Its famous landmarks and other tourist destinations, its extremely high population of mixed nationalities, its center of the stock market (the only thing holding up the US economy since the 70s), the large amount of companies, mainly finance companies who reside there, the list goes on. It is the gateway to the US, it has been since its beginning, it was where immigrants fresh off the boat tried to start living the fantasy American dream.

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 13):
maybe NYC is the greatest city in America only because other smaller market cities don't have the sophisticated methods of communication that NYC has.

i know stations in markets 150 through 200 that have nicer, fancier, faster methods of communication than the big networks out of nyc. ;p

i, too, might put chicago ahead of new york city. but it's a very close call. i enjoy both cities very much, but it's a hard argument with any city. ive been to a lot of cities in the states and each one has their own special set of perks.

like for example:

in new york city central park is nice and all but st. louis' forest park is much larger.

i enjoy new orleans' jazz festival but i enjoy milwaukee's summerfest much more.

like them or love them but the wrigley field for the chicago cubs and seeing a game there is probably the best way to spend an afternoon at the baseball stadium.

detroit and nashville have the best live concert act offerings and live music venues of any city in the nation.

and then there's las vegas....
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

B744F

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 am

Bu this has nothing to do with your personal experiences and what you enjoyed out of each city....

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 18):
Bu this has nothing to do with your personal experiences and what you enjoyed out of each city....

and that's -EXACTLY- my point

why spend time arguing over each city. let's just be thankful that we have a choice and plethora of cities to go to.

think of all the nations that have just one "big" city and to hell with all the others.

how many times do you hear of great things to do in...
Bristol, England?
Marseilles, France?
Kyoto, Japan?

so yeah, too bad for the U.S. that we got passed up on the Olympics, but there's always going to be another game or two...in a multiple of 4 years from now. and if the arrogance of New York and the French turned the IOC to London, then so be it.

sure, there's a lot of things to do in New York and a lot of pretty people there and it's all nice and bright and "Cats" played for nearly 7,000 shows...but it still doesn't make it the best.

MAH4546

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:35 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 2):

Capital of the world? No. In the top five? Yes. Actually, if I had to rank it, only London would come before New York.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 5):
They might be nicer, or you may prefer them, but they are no where near as important than NYC. Its the financial capital of the world, a huge tourist destination and known worldwide for its restaurants and museums. Sorry, the only one on your list as a NYC rival is D.C.

Thank you for reminding me why, as much as I love NYC (and I visit almost monthly, including tomorrow), I will never live there because I can't stand the extreme arrogance that is far to prevalent. Everyone has arrogance and pride for their city, I'm sure guilty of that, but in NYC is just taken to a whole other level.

Why would you question someone's preferences for cities? If someone perfers one city to another, the reasons don't really matter. I might perfer Luanda to Jakarta. Why? I don't know, I've never been to Jakarta, but it doesn't matter, I just do.

[Edited 2005-07-07 02:35:49]
a.

rjpieces

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:37 am

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be similiar to my thinking. As a lifelong New Yorker, I was very happy that NYC didn't get the Olympics simply because it seems out of place, it would be a huge traffic mess, and there is no reason for it to come here.

I am tired of always hearing how NYC is the "capital of the world" and the "greatest city in America".

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than suggesting not to get yourself into these discussions. By any rational measure, NYC is the capital of the world. It is also the capital of finance, communications/media, art, and many more important fields. NYC is the best representative of the United States that we have. There is a reason why every major airlines #1 route is generally their main hub-New York City.

And when you look at the whole tri-state area, it is clear how important the region is to the country.

Also, for those of you who compare DC to NYC, DC is an awesome city. I go to college there and love it, but it is NOWHERE NEAR NYC and never will be.

And MSYtristar, it's ok if you don't like NYC, but I hope you weren't one of those people after 9/11 who went around with the whole "We're New Yorkers" theme.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 21):
NYC is the capital of the world.

!

It is also the capital of finance

Tokyo?

communications/media

London?

art,

Italy?

and many more important fields

Hollywood?

102IAHexpress

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
i know stations in markets 150 through 200 that have nicer, fancier, faster methods of communication than the big networks out of nyc. ;p

They may be nicer and fancier, but I doubt they are faster. NYC is home to the headquarters of NBC, ABC, CBS, New York Times, AOL Time Warner, etc... and when one of those media outlets say something, people all over the world know about it, and they know about it pretty quick.

Nevertheless, I like visiting NYC especially during the holidays, But the cold weather always turned me off from making my visit a permanent one.

aa61hvy

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:49 am

If the Olympics couldn't be in NYC my second choice would be London.

I love NYC!
Go big or go home

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 23):
They may be nicer and fancier, but I doubt they are faster. NYC is home to the headquarters of NBC, ABC, CBS, New York Times, AOL Time Warner, etc... and when one of those media outlets say something, people all over the world know about it, and they know about it pretty quick.

Nevertheless, I like visiting NYC especially during the holidays, But the cold weather always turned me off from making my visit a permanent one.

i love to visit new york myself. but i love to visit as many cities as i can. i have never turned down the opportunity to go somewhere when the price, timing, and reason is right. i'm even looking at going to Houston for the first time on the 16th for a concert. the price is right and the reason is there...so why not?

and there are many small towns i could say that about, too.

and actually...per the news equipment...as for the actual operation of the equipment and machinery they are faster. if you are talking about the speed of the news wires...that depends on the news agencies. all news does not originate in new york...news happens where it happens and travels as fast as one person can tell the next.

the big new "emphasis" these days in the news cast is the "live shot"...and that means less time in studios in new york city and more time on the field. but that's another discussion for another day, of course.

N1120A

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:54 am

Los Angeles, the greatest city in America and the World

Quoting STLGph (Reply 19):
Bristol, England?

Actually quite the cool place (love Clifton), but you seem to have left out places like Manchester, Cornwall, Devon, Brighton and others

Marseilles, France?

Beautiful, but how about Nice, Bordeaux, Lyon, Lille, Cannes and more?

Kyoto, Japan?

Osaka, Nagoya, Fukkoka, Sapporo, Hiroshima, Okinawa

communications/media

Los Angeles
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

B744F

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:03 am

Los Angeles, greatest city in the world? Not a chance! You can't count LA as once city, especially if you look at how pathetic the "downtown is compared to truely great cities such as NYC, Chicago, Boston.

102IAHexpress

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 25):
i love to visit new york myself. but i love to visit as many cities as i can. i have never turned down the opportunity to go somewhere when the price, timing, and reason is right. i'm even looking at going to Houston for the first time on the 16th for a concert. the price is right and the reason is there...so why not?

I think we're in agreement on that.

But if we take a step back and look at the big picture, most Americans don't travel as much or have seen as many different cities, as many members on this forum. For example most Americans dont even have passports. The fact is most Americans are isolated, and their only window to the outside world is the media. And if the national media, which is so heavily concentrated in NYC, likes to remind the rest of the country how great NYC is, then a lot of Americans, buy into that, even though they've never been to NYC.

Anyhoo. I hope you enjoy your visit to Houston. But be fair warned it gets Hot. But personally I would rather live in a city wear hot women start removing clothes because it's too hot as opposed to adding clothes because it's too cold.  Cool

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:05 am

And MSYtristar, it's ok if you don't like NYC, but I hope you weren't one of those people after 9/11 who went around with the whole "We're New Yorkers" theme.

No, I was not, I supported the country as I always do, but I didn't pretend to be someone I am not.

Mir

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:07 am

There are far too many great cities in the world for any specific one to be a clear-cut capital. But you can't deny that New York is very much in the running.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 6):
but all the cities I mentioned have just as much culture and character as NYC

I've been to Chicago, San Fransisco, Boston and D.C., and while they have a plenty of culture, they aren't on the same level as New York.

Quoting B744F (Reply 16):
Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 14):

Its famous landmarks and other tourist destinations, its extremely high population of mixed nationalities, its center of the stock market (the only thing holding up the US economy since the 70s), the large amount of companies, mainly finance companies who reside there, the list goes on. It is the gateway to the US, it has been since its beginning, it was where immigrants fresh off the boat tried to start living the fantasy American dream.

up  What he said, especially that last part. And in addition, it's the most global city in the US. It's got significant numbers of people from practically every country and culture in the world, it's the headquarters for the UN, and it's a major player on the world financial and business stage.

I'm not stupid enough to call New York the clear-cut capital of the world. But I've yet to see another city in the US that would fit that title better.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Mexicana757

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:31 am

Its famous landmarks and other tourist destinations, its extremely high population of mixed nationalities, its center of the stock market (the only thing holding up the US economy since the 70s), the large amount of companies, mainly finance companies who reside there, the list goes on. It is the gateway to the US, it has been since its beginning, it was where immigrants fresh off the boat tried to start living the fantasy American dream

Lets see, Chicago has famous landmarks, tourist destinations,a population of mixed nationalities, we have the Chicago Board of Trade and Mercantile Exchange, we have big companies here too and finance companies as well.

Quoting B744F (Reply 27):
Los Angeles, greatest city in the world? Not a chance! You can't count LA as once city, especially if you look at how pathetic the "downtown is compared to truely great cities such as NYC, Chicago, Boston.

I have to agree with you here, LA does have a crappy skyline compared to Chicago and NYC.  bigthumbsup 

Pendrilsaint

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:09 pm

Guys please...y'all have missed the point. Yeah the media plays up NYC to be something it really isn't; still, it is the most magnificent city in the U.S. Chicago shuts down at 9pm while New York is open all hours of the night...the subway never stops. Does Chicago have Broadway and Off-Broadway shows? No...The Art Institute is an amazing museum for Chicago..but it will never compare to the MoMA, Met, Frick, or Guggenheim. Is Chicago safe like New York? No...in fact I feel much less safe in downtown Chicago than in New York.

I think it comes down to that London, Paris, and New York pretty much contend for the title of capital of the world; but no one on this forum can say that any one of those cities blows the others out of the water...They are each very very varied cities and bring their own aura and feel to the table. I can tell you three good reasons why each of those cities should be capital of the world and three why they should not. Just because the IOC says they wan't to stage a financial disaster in a city does not mean that it becomes the greatest city on the list of candidates.

Mexicana757

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:37 pm

Quoting Pendrilsaint (Reply 32):
Guys please...y'all have missed the point. Yeah the media plays up NYC to be something it really isn't; still, it is the most magnificent city in the U.S. Chicago shuts down at 9pm while New York is open all hours of the night...the subway never stops. Does Chicago have Broadway and Off-Broadway shows? No...The Art Institute is an amazing museum for Chicago..but it will never compare to the MoMA, Met, Frick, or Guggenheim. Is Chicago safe like New York? No...in fact I feel much less safe in downtown Chicago than in New York.

Its so obvious you are clueless about Chicago. FYI Chicago has more than one museum, Chicago never shuts down, downtown Chicago is safe, we have theater, but nothing compare to your Broadway.  sarcastic 

And our subway never stops either, except for brown, orange, green, and yellow lines, which stop at 1am and resume service at 4am. At least we dont get a $100 fine for taking a drink into our subway.  yawn 

satx

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:41 pm

You sound like a Frenchman.

You sound like an American.

Jealousy is not an attractive trait, you know.

Neither is arrogance, you know.

Quoting Ibhayi (Reply 7):

In england they go more out of their way to help you out than the French do, unless you speak the language.

Do you even read what you write? You just complained that if you speak the local language you get more and better help. How else would you like to work? Try to squeeze that question into your tiny conscience and see if it pops.

when one of those media outlets say something, people all over the world know about it, and they know about it pretty quick.

Yeah, that couple seconds worth of advance notice that NYC enjoys sure does make a difference.

New York is open all hours of the night...the subway never stops.

Having a small part of the subway system active does NOT mean you can claim to be the city that never sleeps. This has to be among the least true of all New York's silly little claims to fame. I've been there a few times and nobody would confuse 9PM with 11PM. The city sleeps.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Mir

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:32 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 34):
Having a small part of the subway system active does NOT mean you can claim to be the city that never sleeps.

Actually, I know of two subway stations that are not open at night (145th and 148th on the 3 line). The other 466 are open 24/7 (excluding repairs, and even then they rarely close the stations completely). I've been out way into the early hours of the morning (2-3am) multiple times, and have always been able to take a train home. Sorry to be the cruel force of reality, but I'm afraid you're wrong on this one.

Quoting SATX (Reply 34):
I've been there a few times and nobody would confuse 9PM with 11PM. The city sleeps.

Sure, things quiet down a bit as the night goes on, but even so, 11PM in New York looks like 8PM in most other cities. Heck, 3AM in midtown New York looks like 10PM in downtown Minneapolis (I've compared the two). The city does not sleep.

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 33):
And our subway never stops either, except for brown, orange, green, and yellow lines, which stop at 1am and resume service at 4am

Which leaves what, the red and blue lines? Been a long time since I've been on the Chicago subway. I do have to give you guys credit where it's due though - the direct link to both airports is something that New York hasn't been able to figure out yet.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

SFOMEX

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 34):
. I've been there a few times and nobody would confuse 9PM with 11PM. The city sleeps.

I beg to differ. If you want to see a city that really sleeps, go to Sacramento, CA. I lived there for three years and I love the town and its people, but it's really depressing to see that around 10 pm the whole city seems to be closed and out of business.

NYC is an unique city. I don't care if is full of liberals, its people have more than enough reasons to be proud of their city. It's truly amazing.

For the record, my favorite city is and always will be San Francisco. Amazing place, besides I left my heart in San Francisco...
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

mdsh00

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:20 pm

Los Angeles, greatest city in the world? Not a chance! You can't count LA as once city, especially if you look at how pathetic the "downtown is compared to truely great cities such as NYC, Chicago, Boston

LA is a much better city than outsiders (and even locals give it credit for). For all of NYC's claims of ethnic diversity, LA actually edges it out for being more ethnically diverse. I will agree with you that Downtown LA is mainly crap, but it's undergoing a Renaissance right now, and is one of the fastest growing parts of the city.

As for the other big cities, I love Chicago (I have to, I was born there  Smile) but NYC is in a class by itself.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

777236ER

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:52 pm

MaverickM11,

every Games since Montreal has made money for the city.
Your bone's got a little machine

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:08 pm

downtown Chicago is safe, we have theater, but nothing compare to your Broadway.

on a side note...probably over half of all Broadway & off Broadway shows have a trial run in Chicago before opening in New York. many times, they never make it out of Chicago.

shows this season in New York on the Great White Way Boards that opened in Chicago first..."The Light in the Piazza," "Spamalot," "All Shook Up," "Jackie Mason- Freshly Squeezed." "Sweet Charity" played Chicago on a three city pre-Broadway tour before opening in New York. "Mamma Mia" played Chicago pre-Broadway and "Movin' Out" had a pre-Broadway try out in Chicago before opening in New York.

And our subway never stops either, except for brown, orange, green, and yellow lines, which stop at 1am and resume service at 4am. At least we dont get a $100 fine for taking a drink into our subway.

i would say Chicago is much more cab efficient than New York.

MAH4546

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
Sure, things quiet down a bit as the night goes on, but even so, 11PM in New York looks like 8PM in most other cities. Heck, 3AM in midtown New York looks like 10PM in downtown Minneapolis (I've compared the two). The city does not sleep.

The "city that never sleeps" thing is way overrated. Maybe because I'm from Miami, which easily gives NYC's nightlife a run for the money (after all, Miami is where all the NYC'ers go to party), but I've never been impressed by it for a city of its size. It is pathetic compared to other cities I've been to elsewhere in the world, such as Berlin, Rome, and Buenos Aires.
a.

Leezyjet

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 pm

Have to agree that the nightlife is NYC is absolute crap. I went there last year for 5 nights and spent more on taxi fares riding around the city looking for somewhere decent to go than I did on the actual drinking.

Even Old York has better nightlife than New York. It's way too over rated.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

TWFirst

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 34):
Jealousy is not an attractive trait, you know.

Neither is arrogance, you know.

I completely agree. Thus, I'm happy to read you're cognizant of your unattractiveness.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

jetblueatjfk

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:38 am

As a true New Yorker who realizes how important NYC is important to the US:

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 5):

Yes it is true, so I think the only one that comes close is DC but it still doesn't beat it.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 13):
I don't know if its the worlds most arrogant city, but the American media does like to remind us of how great NYC is. NYC is the number media market in the US, so maybe NYC is the greatest city in America only because other smaller market cities don't have the sophisticated methods of communication that NYC has.

Well it is one of the top cities on the list for having most people in it (1 or 2) and it is up there with that department.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 15):
I just don't care for NYC too much. Just personal preference. I don't hate the Yankees, I don't hate the people, just not a big fan of the overall NYC experience. Too busy I guess. It's just not a very attractive place. Very overrated. But, it was the home of Pan Am's world headquarters, so that right there ranks it in the top ten.

Too busy, are you kidding, you would prefer a little town with 2 stores in it over the capital of many different departments.

YES it is true so every body listen to that!!

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):
Thank you for reminding me why, as much as I love NYC (and I visit almost monthly, including tomorrow), I will never live there because I can't stand the extreme arrogance that is far to prevalent. Everyone has arrogance and pride for their city, I'm sure guilty of that, but in NYC is just taken to a whole other level.

It isn't to far, we love our city for what it is, one of the greatest out there and the capital of many things (I am not going to get into it because I see your point and I like you so...)

Well, I don't know what to tell you other than suggesting not to get yourself into these discussions. By any rational measure, NYC is the capital of the world. It is also the capital of finance, communications/media, art, and many more important fields. NYC is the best representative of the United States that we have. There is a reason why every major airlines #1 route is generally their main hub-New York City.

Yes that is what I am saying! It is so don't say other cities are better than it on certain departments, we are the capital just because more movies are in LA doesn't mean they are the capital, many aspects of business involves NYC if you like it or not. And you should care that it is also the Financial Capital of the World, with out it this country wouldn't be so great, money wise it would be horrible.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 22):

-Tokyo as finance capital??? Are you kidding, next!
-London as media capital, maybe close but not really, much more of it goes on here!
-Art, Italy comes close but many art galleries and other things are here and it pulls up close to it, and plus Italy is a country so NYC even if Italy beats us in that, that is a whole country, we have so much just in NYC!
-Many others, Hollywood?? NO, they are big in media and television/movie production, not alot more

Yes it is true, tons of the most important businesses are here soo...

And yes the weather does get cold, that is one thing I don't like but the Christmas Tree and Ice Skating Rink are spectacular and Central Park with snow in it is amazing!

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 24):
If the Olympics couldn't be in NYC my second choice would be London.

I love NYC!

Yes exactly what I feel

Quoting STLGph (Reply 25):
and actually...per the news equipment...as for the actual operation of the equipment and machinery they are faster. if you are talking about the speed of the news wires...that depends on the news agencies. all news does not originate in new york...news happens where it happens and travels as fast as one person can tell the next.

Yes but it all goes through here and goes onto the air here from the news studios here and through the servers here!

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):

Los Angeles, the greatest city in America and the World

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
communications/media

Los Angeles

No they are big in media and production, so it doesn't mean greatest. Greatest includes many aspects. You can't be very big in one and then not so much in others. Many Aspects!

Los Angeles, greatest city in the world? Not a chance! You can't count LA as once city, especially if you look at how pathetic the "downtown is compared to truly great cities such as NYC, Chicago, Boston.

YES!! It is true!

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
There are far too many great cities in the world for any specific one to be a clear-cut capital. But you can't deny that New York is very much in the running.

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
I've been to Chicago, San Francisco, Boston and D.C., and while they have a plenty of culture, they aren't on the same level as New York.

I can easily agree with you right there. I have visited many other cities and the culture and character is there but not as much as NYC, if you look around NYC, it is all there!

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 31):
Lets see, Chicago has famous landmarks, tourist destinations,a population of mixed nationalities, we have the Chicago Board of Trade and Mercantile Exchange, we have big companies here too and finance companies as well.

Yes it does, but NYC has much more Landmarks and the UN is bigger than the other thing you mentioned and also NYC is known as Financial capital, Chicago can have it but not the main structure of it.

Exactly!!!!!! That is my main point.
And for your other comment I agree to they all bring different things to the table.

Quoting SATX (Reply 34):
Having a small part of the subway system active does NOT mean you can claim to be the city that never sleeps. This has to be among the least true of all New York's silly little claims to fame. I've been there a few times and nobody would confuse 9PM with 11PM. The city sleeps.

Most subways keep going and the night clubs all go until 4am and all the lights are always on people are always moving, you never see areas with no one in it (Big areas), I know when I went to San Fran there weren't many people around except all the homeless people

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):

EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 36):

YES

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 37):
LA is a much better city than outsiders (and even locals give it credit for). For all of NYC's claims of ethnic diversity, LA actually edges it out for being more ethnically diverse. I will agree with you that Downtown LA is mainly crap, but it's undergoing a Renaissance right now, and is one of the fastest growing parts of the city.

Yes but more country's are represented here and more ethnic things and places are here.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 39):
i would say Chicago is much more cab efficient than New York.

Maybe but the Yellow cabs are really always around (Not doubting you though)

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
The "city that never sleeps" thing is way overrated. Maybe because I'm from Miami, which easily gives NYC's nightlife a run for the money (after all, Miami is where all the NYC'ers go to party), but I've never been impressed by it for a city of its size. It is pathetic compared to other cities I've been to elsewhere in the world, such as Berlin, Rome, and Buenos Aires.

Well I don't know where you all look because I go into the city constantly and there are clubs basically every 2/3 blocks. I agree though MIA nightlife is pretty good but it doesn't blow us out of the water, it isn't that far ahead.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

Sorry for it being so long but all these untrue comments that have been stated drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aa757first

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:51 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):

I don't live in NYC, I never have and I don't even live in the surrounding area. But to say that Seattle or New Orleans is a more important city than New York is absurd.

AAndrew

stlgph

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 43):
-Tokyo as finance capital??? Are you kidding, next!
-London as media capital, maybe close but not really, much more of it goes on here!
-Art, Italy comes close but many art galleries and other things are here and it pulls up close to it, and plus Italy is a country so NYC even if Italy beats us in that, that is a whole country, we have so much just in NYC!
-Many others, Hollywood?? NO, they are big in media and television/movie production, not alot more

yes, all these untrue comments are driving us crazy.

Tokyo is a very very -very- important finance capital, especially since it helps anchor the whole ASEAN commerce drive. besides, the Japanese own most of Manhattan anyway....

As someone who works in the media, I can tell you that London is much more media central than New York City.

Italy meaning...Florence, Milan, Rome... A small italian village has more artistic appeal than New York City. Visit Tuscany.

Hollywood is just an example of where NYC can't beat it. Hollywood beats NYC out in film. London is probably tied or a close second...Sydney is getting up there. MAH's example of nightlife in Miami is another.

jetblueatjfk

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:00 am

But NYC has all of these aspects and if up there on alot of lists, they aren't just dominant in one aspect and that is it, they are up there in alot.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:03 am

Just because NYC has it all and is the center of the financial universe does NOT make it any better than some cities previously mentioned on this board. It is personal preference. NYC isn't a terrible city by any means but it's not everyone's cup of tea, just like some people hate Miami or L.A or Chicago. Sure everything you can possibly want is in NYC, there's no denying that. What gets me is the constant "we have everything so we're the greatest" mentality that the city has. Other cities offer as much as NYC does, usually on a smaller scale obviously, but cities like L.A, Chicago, and Miami match up favorably to New York in many categories. I don't base my preference in cities based on how hot a business climate the city has. Perhaps if I was a white collar worker I would, but i'm not, so I don't.

Take New Orleans, a small city by New York standards.

Museums? Yes. Over 40, several of which are world class.

Pro sports? Yes. Bad teams but we have them.

Opera? Yep, and it's a good one.

Orchestra? The Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra is the only employee-owned Orchestra in the U.S.

Live theatre? Yes, all throughout the city in several intimate venues,also various Broadway shows alternating throughout the year.

Music scene? Hundreds of music clubs, many with no closing times.

Arts scene? The Warehouse Arts District is called the "Soho of the South"; Julia Street and Royal Street are home to well over 50 art galleries and numerous artists lofts.

Dining? That's a give in. One of the best food cities in the world...top 5 easily.

Parks? Tons of green space, a huge lakefront area with walking/jogging paths, a city park larger than Central Park, and numerous parks along the Mississippi River.

Neighborhoods? Very diverse. Numerous unique neighborhoods to explore each with its own charm.

So even a small city like New Orleans can match New York in many areas.

N766UA

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:11 am

You sound like a Frenchman.

Considering that the French have the original "capital of the universe," Paris, I'd argue that you sound the most like a frenchman.
This Website Censors Me

SlamClick

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:18 am

Okay guys, it is hypocritical to sing the praises of New York if all you are referring to is Manhattan.

There are four other boroughs and they don't like to be left out.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.