virgin744

Filipino Politics:Pres. Asks All Ministers To Quit

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:57 pm

One reason why I dont like going to certain counties! Philippines has been dogged by corruption and of late it has been centred around their most recent president - Gloria Arroyo.

Ever since I have known about the Philippines, they have had corruption but whats more annoying is that this so-called democratic republic seems to love voting for corrup leaders.

On the latest occasion they voted for Gloria who, on the face of things seems rather decent and honest, but it becomes evident how corrupt this country is when you hear stories of provincial police forces being sacked (the who police force of the region) because there is so much corruption that no-one, even in the police force can be trusted. The latest example of the piss-poor pathetic state the country is the call from Gloria asking the entire cabinet to resign - Of course this does not include herself as she deems herself to be completely free of any blame and blemish!!

Excerpt below;
Philippines President Gloria Arroyo has asked her entire Cabinet to resign, amid continuing calls for her to quit.

"First of all, I am not resigning my office," she said. "I am asking my entire cabinet to tender their resignations in order to give the executive a free hand to reorganize itself," she said.
She also said that the Philippines' system of government needed to be reformed.

"The political system that I am part of has degenerated to the point that it needs fundamental change, she said.

But her move was immediately criticised by opposition Senator Panfilo Lacson, who finished third behind Mrs Arroyo in the May 2004 presidential election.
"She should be the one to resign, not the members of her cabinet, because she is the cause of political instability," he told DZBB radio.

Mrs Arroyo's problems stem from a tape recording of a phone call between a woman sounding like her and an election commissioner.

Mrs Arroyo admitted last week that she phoned an election official during the 2004 poll, but denied trying to rig the poll.

"I was anxious to protect my votes and during that time had conversations with many people, including a Comelec (commission on elections) official," she said last week.
"My intent was not to influence the outcome of the election and it did not."
In addition to the tape recording controversy, the president also faces separate allegations that members of her family took pay-offs from illegal gambling syndicates.

To try and defuse that controversy, her husband Jose Miguel Arroyo has left the country indefinitely, and is now in the US.

Lead by example Ms Arroyo, you should be the first to quit and take your cronies with you!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4660439.stm

virgin744

TedTAce

RE: Filipino Politics:Pres. Asks All Ministers To Quit

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting Virgin744 (Thread starter):
should be the first to quit and take your cronies with you!!

I think Bush and EVERYONE in Congress (Senate/House of reps) should do this too!!
This space intentionally left blank

MD11Engineer

RE: Filipino Politics:Pres. Asks All Ministers To Quit

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:06 am

The problem is: Who is a credible alternative? Stupiodly the Filipino population tends to vote for popular film stars. Additionally the Filipino election system favours candidates with lots of money. Many voters also expect election gifts in form of money. This means candidates either require massive campaign funding from big business, who later want a return on their investment by favourable decisions, have to be rich on their own or come from the old landowning families, which lead an aristocrat lifestyle since the days of Spanish colonial rule.
It is really a pity because, with the right government, the country could be quite wealthy.
I hope this country recovers, because I might retire there some day.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi