Catatonic
Topic Author

Ebay And Bidders From Nigeria, New Scam?

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:27 am

I was selling my phone on ebay. I stated in the auction that I would post to the UK and Ireland and would accept paypal, cheque and nochex. The winning bid was a guy who wrote me this:

"Hello,
I'm the winning Bidder of your item and i;ll love to complete this transaction as soon as possible.
I'll need a great favour from you in Which I'll be very much appreciated if you could help me out.I'll want you to help m in posting this item to my friend on medical reseach to Nigeria through Registered mail with the fastest service they render.
I'll be the one to responsible for the shipping cost please help me out in getting the shipping cost.
Here is the shipping address
Name:xxxxxx xxxxxx
Address:xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
Osun state
Nigeria
xxxxxxx
I'll love to read from you soonest.
For the payment I'll not be able to make the payment through Paypal just because my account is undergoing some problem in which I was informed by paypal that it will take them up to 2weeks to solve it.
But all is still ok I can make the payment through an online payment in which the funds will be deliver to you at your address in cash.I'll want you to get your full name and address sent to me.
The shipping cost should be aroun10-14 pounds.
I'll wait to read from you the payment will be made out as soon as the payment address recieved.
Thanks."

I sent him an email saying he should have read the item description, I dont post outside the UK are Ireland and also dont accept cash. No reply. Looking at other listings from Ebay a lot of them are making reference to these Nigerian bidders. Whats going on??? Is this a new type of scam??
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

MaverickM11

RE: Ebay And Bidders From Nigeria, New Scam?

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Catatonic (Thread starter):
Is this a new type of scam??

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...
E pur si muove -Galileo

Catatonic
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 1):
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

Yeah but although this smells of fish it looks like chicken if you know what I mean. I dont understand how this could be a scam, its not as if he was going to milk me of money as they must know I wouldnt send the phone without recieving payment.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

David L

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:45 am

OK, I'm not sure how online payments work. Could it be that you wait till the money's in your account, send the phone and then get told by the bank a month later that the payment was dud and they're debiting your account? That's how they do it with cheques - you think you're OK as the cheque's cleared but the bank takes longer to discover that it was stolen, etc.

soyuzavia

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:46 am

Indication 1 it is a scam -- Paypal is not available in Nigeria
Indication 2 -- the person is in Nigeria
Indication 3 -- the item is never for them -- it's usually for a dying sister or some shit like that
Indication 4 -- they are offering another online payment system -- I bet my bottom dollar they are talking about Bidpay by Western Union -- it is a money order system which is legitimate -- unless it's being used by Nigerians -- what they will do is email you to tell you they have paid Bidpay. You will also receive an email from "Bidpay" confirming this -- except the email isn't from Bidpay (check headers, etc) -- they will then push you to mail the item as your payment is now guaranteed -- it isn't, you are still able to cancel it due to being a c/c payment -- but the 'money order' 'cheque' you will receive will either be stolen or fraudulent -- you will cash it, and everything will go ok...except maybe 6-8 weeks down the track you get a letter out of the blue from your bank saying that the check/money order is fraudulent and that you are liable for all of the amount. So you are out of your money and the phone.

It's a scam and it's one of the oldest scams in the book. If you actually have his name and address -- the name is likely to be fake, but the address isn't -- check with the Nigerian high commission website in the UK -- they have contacts listed there for such scams, and they are taking a more proactive approach these days to online fraud.

Also, check out www.scamorama.com

dl021

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:47 am

A scam from Nigeria? NO! Never!

Perish the thought!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

FlyingTexan

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:54 am

http://www.419eater.com

Hours of enjoyment!
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

oly720man

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:59 am

Check with ebay and check with paypal to check if the person really has an account with them. But as reply#4 says, if it involves Nigerians with a sob story it'll be a scam.

As far as the paypal problem goes, that's BS, unless he's had a scam email telling him his account has a problem, in which case it's still BS.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Superfly

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
A scam from Nigeria? NO! Never!

I agree!
They aren't scam artist, I give them money all the time. I get there emails.  Silly  Silly  Silly

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 2):
Yeah but although this smells of fish it looks like chicken.....

Sounds like a woman that needs to take a shower. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

David L

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 6):
http://www.419eater.com

Hours of enjoyment!

I'll check that out. There's also this one - just one guy's efforts and I don't know if it's included in the 419 site. Had our whole office in stitches.
http://www.axiusnews.com/brad-c/directory02.htm

SSTjumbo

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:59 am

"Hello,
I'm the winning Bidder of your item and i;ll love to complete this transaction as soon as possible.
I'll need a great favour from you in Which I'll be very much appreciated if you could help me out.

That's as far as you need to go, and you don't have to sell him jack squat. If it looks too complicated to comprehend, it is too complicated to comprehend, and it's a scam.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

David L

Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting SSTjumbo (Reply 10):
If it looks too complicated to comprehend, it is too complicated to comprehend, and it's a scam.

Yup. The bottom line is that money would appear in your account so you'd send the goods. Only after that will the bank come back and say "sorry, we'll just take that back".

jetjack74

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:06 am

This is like the letter I got from some guy in South Africa who claimed to be an attorney and said he had a 3.2 million dollars(the figure was in Rands, with a USD conversion) trust that was left with no hier and said he would share it with me if I gave him my bank account number, my phone number, and a photo-stat of my drivers license and passport. I reported it to the FBI and sad they would look into it, never heard anything more about it. Shame that there are people who actually fall for these scams.
Made from jets!

Birdwatching

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 12):
Shame that there are people who actually fall for these scams.

Yeah, exactly my opinion. Same thing with SPAM emails. Why do they keep coming in? Why do the Nigerian Scam emails keep coming in?

Because apparently they DO work with some people. And as long as people will keep buying p* enlargement pills off SPAM emails, they will keep sending them.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

7LBAC111

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:39 am

I got a similar message. As soon as I did, ebay contacted me to confirm it was fraudulent and to ignore it - which I had already decided to do.

ello, Good day to you I'm so glad i'm the winnining bidder of this item and i'llm love to inform you that i'm ready to make the payment,but i'll need an favour from you and the favour is that i'm getting this for my in-law in Africa nigeria,so you will have to help me to get it shipped down to him .I' want the shipment Via Ups with the fastest service they are having.Kindly help me to confirm the shiping cost on www.ups.com http://www.ups.com and get back to me with the total cost.Regarding the payment I'll need your full name and address to make the payment in which the funds will be deliver to you at your address in cash,the payment will be made through an online payment called bidpay. I hope to read from you as soon as possible here is the shiping address NAME:Mr.Hanry ADDRESS:51 iremo road CITY:ile-ife STATE:osun-state COUNTRY:nigeria POSTAL CODE:23436 PHONE #080380607033 Regards.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

soyuzavia

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:28 am

there ya go 7lbac111 -- bidpay -- the nigerian scammers online payment of choice.

this is the best scam site out there -- and it wasn't a nigerian 'victim' but rather one in london -- although he could have been a nigerian living in london.....

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

iakobos

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting David L (Reply 11):
The bottom line is that money would appear in your account so you'd send the goods. Only after that will the bank come back and say "sorry, we'll just take that back"

Excuse me gentlemen, can you please inform which bank(s) does credit a cheque BEFORE having actually received the funds (or at the very least the confirmation by the issuing bank) ?
Did I miss something all those years or is it standard (dangerous) practice somewhere ?

Springbok747

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:28 am

Yeah, that's a scam. My hotmail inbox is flooded with crazy e-mails from some Mrs Objanussu...and all the shit is about her dying husband.

That's why I never even bother to check my hotmail account now, because it's full of crap.
אני תומך בישראל

OPNLguy

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:45 am

This lady has fun with these scammers too....

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

USAFHummer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:08 am

There was also a great bit on one of the TV Newsmagazine shows (Dateline, I think it was) recently, where they investigated the 419 scam by playing along, and eventually they actually met up with the real scammers...it was one of the best things Ive ever seen on TV...very well done (and uproariously funny at the same time)...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Alessandro

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:20 am

I´m curious, was it a new user on Ebay? Some Ebayers refuse to sell to people with new accounts.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

7LBAC111

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:14 pm

Mine was a new user, who was promptly deleted by ebay shortly thereafter.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Alessandro

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:57 pm

Exactly it costs money to build up a good record since Ebay charge money for each auction. You basically need to put up an auction with a fake goods and
win it with another account, pay Ebay for the auction and give yourself good feed-back.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

SSTjumbo

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:46 am

Here's another fantastic way to handle scammers:

www.ebolamonkeyman.com
I don't know, so this is my signature.

David L

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 16):
Excuse me gentlemen, can you please inform which bank(s) does credit a cheque BEFORE having actually received the funds (or at the very least the confirmation by the issuing bank) ?
Did I miss something all those years or is it standard (dangerous) practice somewhere ?

I know, I was surprised when I heard that. Basically, the banks I know of don't do a full check before they credit your account. The full check takes longer, even in this day and age. Don't ask me why!

daedaeg

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 am

I'm always getting scam spam from someone in Nigeria. It must be the new craze. There must be a sucker out there who falls for this crap.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

whitehatter

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:25 am

. Whats going on??? Is this a new type of scam??

Not new at all, file a claim with EBay and get your fees back. It's just like the 419 scams, and the newsgroup uk.people.consumers.ebay is always worth reading for advice.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...