deltaffindfw

IOC Kills Baseball & Softball For 2012 Games

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:47 am

Baseball and softball were tossed out of the Olympics for the 2012 London Games on Friday.

The action by the International Olympic Committee marked the first time it had dropped any sports from the Summer Games in 69 years. The committee then rejected the five sports wanting to get in.

With two slots open on the program, the IOC voted from a waiting list of five sports: golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. Squash and karate were nominated but rejected overwhelmingly, failing to get two-thirds approval.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...ap-sportsdropped&prov=ap&type=lgns

AsstChiefMark

RE: IOC Kills Baseball & Softball For 2012 Games

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:51 am

Why should it be in the Olympics if only two or three countries play the game?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:23 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 1):
Why should it be in the Olympics if only two or three countries play the game?

Two or three? Baseball is a top-level sport in many countries, often countries which have little or no interest in anything else at the Olympics. Take for instance Cuba, Japan, South Korea, Panama, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Colombia.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:34 am

Sorry. I was thinking it would be Japan, USA, and Canada.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

LH423

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:00 am

Probably a conspiracy between the IOC and the British so they (the British) won't have to build any baseball fields in the UK  devil 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mir

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:21 am

While I liked seeing baseball in the Olympics, I can understand why the IOC would want to get rid of it.

I am a bit puzzled that rugby didn't make it in though.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dragon-wings

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Thread starter):
With two slots open on the program, the IOC voted from a waiting list of five sports: golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports.

What are roller sports? They talking roller hockey?

Out of those I would vote for golf and rugby.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

bill142

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:47 am

Rugby should have gotten in. Rugby union would have been a great spectacle and Rugby Leauge would have been a certain gold medal for Australia.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:55 am

They could probably kill off a few more that might be a "Sport" but certainly aren't "Olympic" caliber . . . curling, basketball, golf, as examples . . . you can leave Rugby out too . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

srbmod

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:55 am

Golf was mentioned as a demonsration sport for the 1996 Olympics, with Augusta National being the host for it, but was voted down by the IOC due to the membership policies of the Augusta National Golf Club at the time.

Honestly, I think that every Olympics (It would be harder for the Winter Olympics) ought to have a demonstration sport that is a sport not currently competed for in the Olympics and is a popular sport in that country. For the London Games, I could see rugby or cricket as that demonstration sport.

If roller sports is brought in as a medal event, this could be the beginning of the Olympics adding X Games/Gravity Games events into the fray in order to attract younger viewers.

IAH777

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:02 am

But they have curling. Go figure.  sarcastic 

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:05 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 10):
But they have curling. Go figure.

Winter Olympics, which is a whole other headache.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

TedTAce

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 9):
this could be the beginning of the Olympics adding X Games/Gravity Games events into the fray in order to attract younger viewers.

Heaven forbid they should try to make it interesting..
This space intentionally left blank

L-188

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:13 am

Let me get this straight......

They nix Baseball and Softball, sports that are played all over the world but retain........

Sycronized Swimming
Equestrian
Sailing
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

desertjets

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 13):
Let me get this straight......

They nix Baseball and Softball, sports that are played all over the world but retain........

Sycronized Swimming
Equestrian
Sailing

[sarcasm] Well this way you can never accuse the IOC of elitism. [/sarcasm]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

ltbewr

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:33 am

One probable reason for the pulling of Baseball and Womans Softball was, as Cuba's sports authority suggested, due to the serious problems of steroids and other enhancement drugs banned in the Olympics among professional Major League Baseball players. This is despite that North America's MLB has tightened up the anti-drug rules as to their minor and major league players. That the sport has negliable involvement but for a few areas in the Americas, Asia also added to it's being dropped. Perhaps they could also drop some other sports including any involving any gun use as the games need to reduce the overall numbers of participants to hold down costs for sponsors.

Derico

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:35 am

The problem was not baseball, it was softball.

No one, and I mean no one, plays softball anywhere, only the US and that is a fact. It's like giving away a gold medal (no disrespect meant to the US girls that won it), but that is the truth. And it was in the olympics to begin with because of the requirement that for every male sport in the games there must be a female counterpart.

That's probably why rugby has such a hard time getting into the games too.

Just wait till the 2016 Olympics... to listen to the national anthem of the winner of the Gold medal in the newly introduced olympic sport of Poker.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

sprout5199

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:50 am

They did it because it is All Americian like Apple Pie and Chevy.

Dan in Jupiter

tbar220

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:17 pm

Man, ridiculous. The baseball in the olympics is really good! There are top teams from all over the world! If there are 16 teams, that is plenty of competition for three medals. Its a lot of fun to watch if you ask me.
NO URLS in signature

Mir

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 10):
But they have curling. Go figure.

What the hell is wrong with curling?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 7):
Leauge would have been a certain gold medal for Australia.

I love your optimism.

As for golf - would be funny seeing Fiji beat the USA in something.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

mrniji

Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:44 pm

If Paris had received 2012, it would have been the French fault  Wink

to be honest (and most of you will think I am insane after reading the next lines), I think Baseball and Softball do not belong to Olympics (Karate and Squash would have been a fine addition though!). It seems like these sport were only introduced for teh favor of a very specific set of nations (as with some other sports, too).. as we are talking about the Olympics, why not do this for another region, i.e. introduce Cricket (as it was 1900 in LON, afaik) as sports? You people would not imagine what hysteria in Asia (and parts of Africa) would start, how happy this would make people! And...

even if you think I am insane now, I am sure tha Aussies and Kiwis will back my idea (especially the former, as they will for sure win god with their amazing team - should they not be trashed by Bangladesh again Big grin - sorry.. )

Just a list of nations that would be potential:

- Pakistan
- India
- Sri Lanka
- Bangladesh
- Kenya
- South Africa
- Tanzania
- West Indies
- UK
- Aussieland
- Kiwiland
- Canada (maybe on a wildcard Big grin )
[- probably the US could be a strong player in the future, seeing all the Desis in the states!]

did I forget anyone?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ANCFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 21):
If Paris had received 2012, it would have been the French fault

It's all George Bush's fault!

Signed:
RSmith!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:53 pm

introduce Cricket (as it was 1900 in LON, afaik) as sports? You people would not imagine what hysteria in Asia (and parts of Africa) would start, how happy this would make people! And...

But is it really necessary? I mean - national teams meet on a regular basis - those who are generally interested go nuts, and the rest of us change the channel. I don't know how Olympic sports are tested, but I'm not sure if the IOC would go for a sport that goes on for days and occasionally doesn't have a winner.

- Aussieland
- Kiwiland

I kindly ask that in future you refrain from such vile colloquialistic abbreviations, just as you managed to do for the other 11 nations on your list.

QFF

mrniji

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 23):
those who are generally interested go nuts, and the rest of us change the channel.

Same with many other sports! Who watches horusebackriding instead of a couple of few people in Europe maybe (and they don't even go hysteric)? If you put Cricket, it will be well more than a billion people watching!

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 23):
I kindly ask that in future you refrain from such vile colloquialistic abbreviations, just as you managed to do for the other 11 nations on your list.

Sorry if you feel insulted or so. But don't play the baby now  Wink
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 24):
Sorry if you feel insulted or so. But don't play the baby now

More namecalling huh? You're developing quite a reputation.

QFF

bill142

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:21 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 20):
I love your optimism.

Have you ever watched an international leauge match? more often then not its a farce. The only teams which come close are New Zealand and Great Britan and even then its just a boring game.

If you want spectator enjoyment then Union is the way to go.

introduce Cricket (as it was 1900 in LON, afaik) as sports? You people would not imagine what hysteria in Asia (and parts of Africa) would start, how happy this would make people! And...

The problem with games like Cricket and Rugby is that they take along time to compete. If you look at how long their respective world cups go for its generally 6 - 8 weeks. That sort of schedule won't work with the olympics which is generally limited to 17 days.

You would have to have some sort of qualifying to narrow it down to 5 or 6 teams. And even then its still a fairly aggressive schedule depending on the system you use. An elimination system or a points system would be the best.

You have to think of the players and the recovery time they need. If you use the current turn around time for a rugby union game, which is usually a week then in theory you could only get 2 games in during the olympics. but to use an elimination system you would need 3 to 4 games. Logistically and physically that is tough.

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 24):
Sorry if you feel insulted or so

Not the only one who feels insulted.

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 26):
Have you ever watched an international leauge match? more often then not its a farce.

I completely agree.

If you want spectator enjoyment then Union is the way to go.

As a Union man I wholeheartedly agree.

You have to think of the players and the recovery time they need. If you use the current turn around time for a rugby union game, which is usually a week then in theory you could only get 2 games in during the olympics. but to use an elimination system you would need 3 to 4 games. Logistically and physically that is tough.

Perhaps they can choose the winner eurovision style? lol

Seriously though - just to sound out a very preliminary idea, why not judge a team like how they judge gymnastics or Diving? Have a large pool of officials who after all reviewing a number of games (organise it so there are two games per team) take a vote. The four highest rated teams would be split and two games would be played. Then the two winners could play for Gold and Silver, and the two losing sides play for Bronze and fourth.

A bit of a strange idea - what do you think?

QFF

gkirk

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:47 pm

Christ, baseball at a British Olympics. You'd have at least 50 million people falling asleep  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

mrniji

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:37 pm

The problem with games like Cricket and Rugby is that they take along time to compete

Not a big deal - a row of ODIs (One dayers) could do it

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 28):
You'd have at least 50 million people falling asleep

You'd have at least 1 billion people falling asleep if Cricket was an Olympic sport.

QFF

IAH777

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
What the hell is wrong with curling?

Nothing's wrong with it. My point is that they've banned one very popular sport and one "so-so" sport, but curling (aka "glorified floor-waxing") remains. They have 75 different rowing competitions, 37 different speed skating events and 216 track events, but no baseball.

This decision just proves the IOC is a bunch of baboons. I also hope they're reading this forum for advice.

TedTAce

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:05 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 31):
I also hope they're reading this forum for advice.

If anyone from the IOC is reading this forum, I'll get liposuction!!

I would love to see 'extreme' sports invading the olympics.

Sure you can throw a shotput 30M, but can you do an inverted 360 can-can 20M in the air on a 250CC dirtbike?
This space intentionally left blank

QANTASforever

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:24 pm

Remember guys, they include Basketball - an American sport, as an Olympic event - so they aren't total "baboons".

QFF

garnetpalmetto

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:39 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 33):
Remember guys, they include Basketball - an American sport, as an Olympic event - so they aren't total "baboons".

It might be American in origin but it's international in popularity. Same with baseball. IMO it's just a move by a few members from European states on the IOC whose national teams suck royally at baseball. I know of a few people from the Netherlands quite sad to see baseball go as an Olympic sport because, as it turns out, the Dutch national team is pretty decent.

ZRH

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:34 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 2):
Two or three? Baseball is a top-level sport in many countries, often countries which have little or no interest in anything else at the Olympics. Take for instance Cuba, Japan, South Korea, Panama, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Colombia.

These are still not many countries. In most countries Baseball is completely unknown like in all European. Most other Olympic sports are in many more countries.

Rugby should have gotten in. Rugby union would have been a great spectacle and Rugby Leauge would have been a certain gold medal for Australia.

Also Rugby is not played seriously in many countries (only in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, France and Argentina, that's it)

ZRH

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 35):
Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 2):Two or three? Baseball is a top-level sport in many countries, often countries which have little or no interest in anything else at the Olympics. Take for instance Cuba, Japan, South Korea, Panama, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Colombia.

I didn't know that Baseball is played in Australia. Can any Aussie enlighten me?

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:22 am

"I didn't know that Baseball is played in Australia. Can any Aussie enlighten me?"

Further to that, as a European and having visited at least 15 countries in Europe I have NEVER seen a baseball diamond....NEVER. I do agree with basketball, it is an international sport though.

mrniji

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 36):
Can any Aussie enlighten me?

Careful with the term "Aussie" - quantasforever and that other guy could feel insulted  Wink

squared

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 38):
Careful with the term "Aussie" - quantasforever and that other guy could feel insulted

He may be even more  grumpy  that you spelt Qantas with a "u".  Silly

SQuared

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 37):
I didn't know that Baseball is played in Australia. Can any Aussie enlighten me?"

Further to that, as a European and having visited at least 15 countries in Europe I have NEVER seen a baseball diamond....NEVER. I do agree with basketball, it is an international sport though.

There are a few amateur clubs, but nothing serious.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

fumanchewd

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 37):

A funny fact-even though Polish people don't play baseball, I had noticed baseball bats being sold in quite a few stores in Warsaw and Krakow. Baseball bats are apparently better for hitting people over the head with than tennis rackets.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

blink182

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 31):
They have 75 different rowing competitions

Rowing, both sweeps and sculls, is one of the original events of the modern games and it is very competitive around the world and not limited to a few selective countries...

How come Squash was denied?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

bill142

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 27):
Seriously though - just to sound out a very preliminary idea, why not judge a team like how they judge gymnastics or Diving? Have a large pool of officials who after all reviewing a number of games (organise it so there are two games per team) take a vote. The four highest rated teams would be split and two games would be played. Then the two winners could play for Gold and Silver, and the two losing sides play for Bronze and fourth.

That could work. There is a way that it could be sorted out within the time frame of an olympics, but I don't know anything about planning events on an olympic scale.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 30):
You'd have at least 1 billion people falling asleep if Cricket was an Olympic sport.

Yes, but think about the 1 billion fanatical Indians who would be cheering.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 35):
Also Rugby is not played seriously in many countries (only in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, France and Argentina, that's it)

Its inclusion in the Olympics would most defiently boost its profile. The IRB and the IOC would have to work togeather, and obviously the IRB would have to capitialise on the increased profile and help countries develop their interest in rugby and the talent.

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 29):
Not a big deal - a row of ODIs (One dayers) could do it

Obviously you couldn't do test matches. ODI's would be the only way it could work.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 27):
As a Union man I wholeheartedly agree.

Thankfully we downed the Springbok's last night.

Pendrilsaint

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:25 am

Well....at least the world series can now officially be the world series! None of that elitist gold medal trash getting in the way. ; )

Im curious, if there is a requirement to have a male and female version of the same sport is it possible that it was a necessity to remove baseball as softball, as has been stated above, is a not a well-known sport?

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 36):
I didn't know that Baseball is played in Australia. Can any Aussie enlighten me?

Read it and weep

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:53 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 35):

There are a few more:
Website of the International Rugby Board:
http://www.irb.com/WR/

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

yanksn4

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:19 pm

One probable reason for the pulling of Baseball and Womans Softball was, as Cuba's sports authority suggested, due to the serious problems of steroids and other enhancement drugs banned in the Olympics among professional Major League Baseball players. This is despite that North America's MLB has tightened up the anti-drug rules as to their minor and major league players.

I don't believe that Olympic baseball teams use MLB Players since the olympics are right in September when here in the states, the playoff races are being decided.

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

QANTASforever

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 35):

I know about 60 guys in DC who disagree with you. It's increasingly popular in North America, and the Japanese team really isn't that bad at all.

Quoting SQuared (Reply 39):
He may be even more that you spelt Qantas with a "u".

High five buddy.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 43):
Thankfully we downed the Springbok's last night.

Cheers.

QFF

learpilot

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:42 pm

This is all a big ploy to make room for NASCAR to be the newest olympic, ahem, "sport" in 2016.  hyper 
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!