Falcon84
Topic Author

When Will The Weather Channel Kill A Reporter?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:15 am

I only mean that partly tongue-in-cheek. But one of these days, TWC, or another news service, is going to send a reporter into one of these Hurricanes like Dennis, and the reporter, or the camerman or woman, is going to get killed or seriously injured by debris, or rising waters.

Is it worth putting these reporters in harms way like this, just to give you and me "live coverage" of the storm?
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

RE: When Will The Weather Channel Kill A Reporter?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:20 am

The same time as they win the ratings war with the local weather channels. No it's not to me, but if it is to them then more power to them. The reporters don't need to be cajoled into going, they compete for the assignments.

Welcome back, dude.

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

1MillionFlyer

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:21 am

I love the weather channel, but they do over-inflate bad weather for ratings.

Whenever there is a hurricane they are almost salivating on-air for the ratings boost they will get.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

FlyingTexan

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:45 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):

Lol – I was just thinking the same thing! I have CNN on yakking in the background and they have one of their reporters showing the storm surge on HWY 98 in Panhandle Florida.

Is it worth putting these reporters in harms way like this, just to give you and me "live coverage" of the storm?

Most of mankind knows what a f-ing storm looks like. It’s not newsworthy to have continuous coverage of a hurricane.

spin 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:46 am

Always remember, it's not THAT the wind is blowin, it's WHAT the wind is blowin.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Logan22L

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:48 am

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

ShyFlyer

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:52 am

I've noticed that reporters like to point out the obvious, as if we can't figure it out for ourselves. When a reporter is killed covering a hurricane, others will be asking, "How could this have happened?" Gee, I wonder...  Yeah sure
I lift things up and put them down.

jetjack74

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:56 am

Whooooaaaaaa, he's back.
Made from jets!

Espion007

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 4):
Always remember, it's not THAT the wind is blowin, it's WHAT the wind is blowin.

yeah,cause if you get hit by a volvo,it doesnt matter how many sit ups you did that morning.
Snakes on a Plane!

stlgph

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:06 am

I only mean that partly tongue-in-cheek. But one of these days, TWC, or another news service, is going to send a reporter into one of these Hurricanes like Dennis, and the reporter, or the camerman or woman, is going to get killed or seriously injured by debris, or rising waters.

probably. but that's half of the fun of doing the story. and many times people take the bet to get in and do something like that for a chance to get a nicer paycheck or a promotion. and DL021 is right, there will be no shortage of people who would jump up for the chance to get in there for a shot of a palm tree going through someone's living room window.

i know photographers who have hung by their feet off of a tree over a cliff in order to get a picture for their own personal private collection. and i know reporters who have been randomly shot at while doing stories on private businesses who have come under private scrutiny before.

besides, the weather stories are almost always going to be a safe bet for a reporter. what you don't see is usually they have choosen an open area away from everything where if something is coming their way, they are going to have time to see it and react. they also strategically set up their shots depending on how the wind is blowing. a live shot is very rarely set up next to large trees or power lines, especially in that kind of situation. the live shot engineer would probably need a total of 15 minutes to get set up, test his signal, and tear back down. a reporter and camera man do it quick and dirty...in order words...run over to the live shot when it's time to shoot, film it, and then get the hell out of there. live shots in this situation are almost always set up near where police/coast guard watch posts are actually set up, so it's figured if they're there...why not?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

L-188

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:11 am

If a tree falls over during a storm and hits a reporting during a live feed that nobody is watching, does anybody care?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 8):
yeah,cause if you get hit by a volvo,it doesnt matter how many sit ups you did that morning.

"I RUN 20 MILES A DAY!" ... "you're bleedin"
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

jfkaua

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:17 am

oh common tell me it doesnt look fun to stand in 100mph wind while screaming..

TedTAce

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 10):
If a tree falls over during a storm and hits a reporting during a live feed that nobody is watching, does anybody care?

The producer back at the studio...

I think that 'live storm' coverage ought to be left to automated remotes. It's not like we don't have the technology.. Putting reporters in harms way is another exhibition of how DUMB the media (left or right wing) is. Of course, sadly, a lot of us are dumb enough to watch it... maybe I will stay with cable for internet access only after all.
This space intentionally left blank

stlgph

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:21 am

outside of a local church shooting, weather stories are always top news bring in about 20-25% more (if not more) than the usual audience.

that's why you see all the local news stations flipping out if it is 5 degrees warmer than normal, or vice versa, and the chief meteorologists are always in leading the broadcast.

Mir

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:30 am

I don't know why, but I thought this was about when the Weather Channel will execute one of it's forecasters for being grossly wrong.  biggrin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

tristarenvy

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:41 am

Trust me...those guys will go and stand in a storm. Stuff like that on one's "demo reel" is gold.

That's how Dan Rather got his start in 1960-something....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:44 am

Dan Rather got his "start" as it will, being a reporter for the local CBS affilliate in Dallas, and on Nov 22, 1963, he was, for him, in the right place at the right time. His star rose from there.

I know those guys want those assignments. Jim Cantore of TWC must have some great insurance, as he's always TWC's "front man" for any big storm. But someday, it will happen, and that will end that, as it were.
Work Right, Fly Hard

FlyingTexan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:55 am

Dan Rather never worked for the local Dallas CBS affiliate.

He gained fame in 1961 while working for KHOU, Houston’s CBS affiliate, reporting on Hurricane Carla.

Before Kennedy was shot, he was hired as a national correspondent with CBS and was the first journalist to report JFK died.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:58 am

Hmm, I always thought he worked locally in Dallas for CBS. My bad if I was wrong, FlyingTexan. But no doubt the JFK assassination got him some prominence.
Work Right, Fly Hard

photopilot

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:12 am

As a former journalist I can say that the profession has more than a few adrenaline junkies that thrive on the rush of a dangerous story.

You have the "X-Games" for adventure sports, and other high risk activities, so what's wrong with other professions having their adrenaline junkies as well?

In the news game, there are the "Bang-Bang" journalists that have to be in a war zone, Iraq, or other world hot spot. That's what they thrive on. And now the weather channels have the Xtreme weather reporters. Hell, you get people and film crews chasing tornados for heavens sake. Nothing new.

And "If" or should I say "When" one finally dies In the Line of Duty, well the rest will just report the news, hoist a beer in memory, and keep right on trucking. Whether you watch or don't watch won't make one iota of difference. Come next storm, they'll be right there to report on it.

Steve

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:39 am

Honestly.. they could just send their reporters to 1 hurricane every 5-10 years and just edit in the different hurricane names.

The pictures are the same from every single hurricane.. wind, rain, power lines falling, flooding, etc... It is pretty stupid if you ask me.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

komododx

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:50 am

During last hurricane season there was a TWC reporter injured. Her name escapes me, she's actually kinda cute. But she got hit with styrofoam and broke two ribs.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

Newark777

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:52 am

I'm just waiting for Geraldo Rivera to get killed. Fox News Channel seems to throw him at every storm that comes near the US.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

komododx

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 23):
I'm just waiting for Geraldo Rivera to get killed. Fox News Channel seems to throw him at every storm that comes near the US.

He seems immortal. But one day. Just gotta keep on hoping.

Stefano  wave 

Newark777

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:58 am

He seems immortal. But one day. Just gotta keep on hoping.

Him and Cher, we just can't seem to get rid of them. Big grin

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 am

I'm just waiting for Geraldo Rivera to get killed.

Aren't we all... We had our best chance when he was in Iraq, until he screwed that up.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

komododx

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 25):
Him and Cher, we just can't seem to get rid of them.

rotfl 

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
Aren't we all... We had our best chance when he was in Iraq, until he screwed that up.

rotfl 

Stefano  wave 

FlyingTexan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
Hmm, I always thought he worked locally in Dallas for CBS. My bad if I was wrong, FlyingTexan. But no doubt the JFK assassination got him some prominence.

Oh, just a trivial faux pas. ‘I’d Rather not be Dan’ is one of the more famous (if not the only) alumni of my alma mater – Sam Houston State University. As a native Houstonian, I also am attune to his career.

There has been a good deal of instances to make his fame ~ Hurricane Carla here on the Gulf Coast, the JFK assignation, Vietnam, and his exchange with President Nixon.

Tricky Dick: Are you running for something?

Dan: No, sir, Mr. President. Are you?

===

I'm just waiting for Geraldo Rivera to get killed

As a humanitarian type guy, I don’t want to see anyone killed. But if he is removed from the gene pool, I’ll let that slide…

spin 

nycflyer

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:41 am

The Weather Channel cracks me up. I think they realize that no one ever watches them except during a major storm. These guys practially get a hard on when there's a blizzard or hurricane brewing. They have all this triumphant, thundering music and these elaborate opening segments, you'd think it was the Super Bowl. It's hilarious, but hey, more power to them, and they do do the public a good service.

stlgph

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:32 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 29):
I think they realize that no one ever watches them except during a major storm.

they get a pretty good audience, actually.

it's a safe bet for tv viewing in public places, school offices, doctor's offices, etc. etc.

Blackhawk144

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:00 am

The Weather Channel did get a reporter killed in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow", when tornadoes were destroying Los Angeles. Big grin

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

B744F

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 20):
As a former journalist I can say that the profession has more than a few adrenaline junkies

it doesn't stop there with journalists... that explains scary movies, drama TV shows, etc.

OB1504

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:51 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 22):
During last hurricane season there was a TWC reporter injured. Her name escapes me, she's actually kinda cute. But she got hit with styrofoam and broke two ribs.

You mean the one in The Bahamas during Frances? If so, that wasn't a reporter for The Weather Channel, but rather one for a local station.

Delta767300ER

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:32 am

I would love to have Jim Cantores job, but I'm a storm freak. During the 3 Florida Hurricanes that hit my area in Central Florida last year, I was outside for nearly every part. Let me tell you, 110 MPH Winds are hard to stand in!

-Delta767300ER

komododx

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 33):
You mean the one in The Bahamas during Frances? If so, that wasn't a reporter for The Weather Channel, but rather one for a local station.

Now that I think about it you may be right. She was for ABC 10, although they were feeding her report on TWC.

Stefano  wave 

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:27 pm

If they do, I hope Jim Cantore is first on the list.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:31 pm

Why, JBird? I have nothing against Cantore. I think he does a pretty good job at what he does. Nothing wrong with him. But I have a problem running these guys and gals out there, and putting them in harms way for a few ratings points.

Of course, I'm sure there's a few sick nuts out there who tune in, hoping someone gets his dome sliced off-you know, like some of those idiots who go to auto races or drag races, just in the hope someone gets killed?
Work Right, Fly Hard

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:43 pm

"Let's go now to Jim Cantore in Hades where the sudden change in climate has disrupted the 'lifestyle' of its residents."

http://www.sau50.k12.nh.us/rye/rjh/ellwood/metcomwl.jpg
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MD-90

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:21 pm

YES! The best part of The Day After Tomorrow was when the news reporter got whomped by the debris during the Los Angeles tornados.

Of course, it would be sad, but still...

4holer

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Interesting interview with Jim Cantore, also mentions the injured reporter
http://www.easternsurf.com/themag/interview101.html
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................