slider

Facts About Iraq You Won't Hear On The News

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:31 am

I've been critical of the whole Iraq thing, but this is something that strikes me as intriguing that we haven't heard a lick about these things. Got this in e-mail, and as it notes below, the facts are verifiable through US DOD.

Facts about Iraq you won't hear on the news

DID YOU KNOW THIS?

Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi current government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5-
100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a navel infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consist of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a recent televised debate recently?

OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW?-OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at presidential motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States thus minimizing consequent support, and it is intended to discourage American citizens.

All of the above facts are verifiable on the Department of Defense website.

END

komododx

RE: Facts About Iraq You Won't Hear On The News

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:38 am

Two points:

1. If all of the above is true, the media (obviously controlled by the government) is being stupid by not informing the public of this, which would definitely show a more positive side of the war in Iraq.

2. So what if the DOD said this? They also said Iraq was full of WMDs and I'm still waiting on their findings.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

tbar220

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:40 am

Did you know that since April 28, over 1500 Iraqis have died to the insurgency?
NO URLS in signature

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:41 am

The media always focuses on the negative aspects. It's what they do (perhaps because society as a whole enjoys it).
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 1):
the media (obviously controlled by the government)

I think you're confusing the US with Italy or Venezuela.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:44 am

How long until this turns into a flamewar?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
How long until this turns into a flamewar?

Before it reaches reply 10.
E pur si muove -Galileo

kilavoud

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:47 am

You know so many things.

I stand open-mouthed.

When Iraqi people will have come up to all the US standards, they will be perfect and live in a paradise.

Hem.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

tbar220

Did you know that almost 2,000 American soldiers have died in this war?

I wonder how many widows, fatherless children, and broken marriages that meant...
NO URLS in signature

komododx

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
I think you're confusing the US with Italy or Venezuela.

Are you kidding me? Do you happen to watch the news (other than Fox news, of course)?

There was a report on how the DOD made TV reports on the war and then fed them to the media (CNN, FOX, etc).

Stefano  wave 

Superfly

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:49 am

Wow, I guess I should look in to buying property along the Tigris River.  Yeah sure
Bring back the Concorde

KLMA330

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:52 am

Be that as it may, the US is still somewhere where it should not be.. occupying a country half a world away. Last I check, Imperialism was a thing of the past... oh wait!!! OIL... how could I forget?

Just think for a moment if the situation was reverse... regardless of how much another country could "help" the US rise its standards of living, it wouldn't matter, for being occupied is being occupied, end of story.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 11):
Be that as it may, the US is still somewhere where it should not be.. occupying a country half a world away. Last I check, Imperialism was a thing of the past... oh wait!!! OIL... how could I forget?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
Before it reaches reply 10.

I was 1 off!!!
E pur si muove -Galileo

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 9):
There was a report on how the DOD made TV reports on the war and then fed them to the media (CNN, FOX, etc).

And who created this report?
E pur si muove -Galileo

komododx

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 am

Not exactly what I was talking about but check this out. I will try and find the report I was talking about.

Stefano  wave 

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:00 am

Last I check, Imperialism was a thing of the past... oh wait!!!

Please. Compare British and other European imperialism to what we are doing in Iraq. There is absolutely NO COMMON FACTOR other than us occupying the country.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

TheRedBaron

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:04 am

[irony]

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Wow, I guess I should look in to buying property along the Tigris River.  

Why Buy and deal with pesky servants, better go to the Huge Club MED, they are making in Bagdad, huge pools made on the huge holes left t by bunker buster bombs.....

Hey we can go there and play striptease with some locals...

[/irony]
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:08 am

I'm glad I bought 765000 new dinar when they were first issued.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ltbewr

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 am

While some 'normal' is returning to Iraq, it isn't in key areas, especialy in the central, heavily Sunni, ex-Baathist strongholds. Sometimes, on a slow news day other than on FoxNews, they will talk about kids going back to school, the acts of decent human interaction of Iraqis with the American troops. The care and concern of the American troops on the ground for the people of Iraq that just want to live in peace. 70-80% of Iraq isn't the problem, but it is that remaining 20-30% that is. Far too many men don't have any real employment and thus have too much idle time and anger which leads to anger against someone, and the American's get blamed and attacked.

11Bravo

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:47 am

I don’t know what media sources you regularly read/view, but I’ve seen a lot of this stuff in the main-stream media. CNN has done several features on children in Iraq over the last several weeks including stories on healthcare and education. The LA Times did an interesting feature on the Iraqi economy not long ago that discussed the stock exchange among other things.

A great deal of news, by its very nature, is bad news. That is what sells copy, and that’s what people want to read and watch on TV. Yesterday the news in the US was dominated by coverage of the hurricane. Why didn’t they have lead stories about the fine weather in other places? It must be a media bias against nice weather right?

I think a lot of folks are being either naïve or dishonest when it comes to raising this issue as though these improvements are indicative of widespread success in Iraq. There are two things that are absolute requirements to improving the situation on the ground in Iraq.

First, there must be drastic and lasting improvement in the over-all security situation for Iraqi civilians. The security situation has slowly but surely deteriorated since the end of “Major Combat Operations” two years ago. Bombings have increased. Civilian casualties have increased. We are, without question, going backwards when it comes to security. We need to change that ASAP.

Second, there must be some real progress in the establishment of a sovereign Iraqi government. The process of writing and ratifying a constitution is badly stalled and will likely be delayed significantly. The Coalition must redouble its efforts to get this process back on track.

As long as the security situation continues to decline and the establishment of a real government fails to materialize, I don’t care if we build a million schools and provide every Iraqi with three cell phones, we will continue to be very disappointed with the outcome in Iraq.

It’s like we have a car with a blown engine and no transmission and we are bragging about how we have added tinted windows and polished the hub-caps. Although those improvements are nice, it is utterly delusional to think they will make the car run any sooner.
WhaleJets Rule!

FlyingTexan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:48 am

You know, all this is fine and dandy, but not at the cost of my brother, my neighbors, my fellow Americans…
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

7FTwinOtter

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:58 am

There is a reasonable amount of talk in the UK about the rebuilding of Iraq, I think this demonstrates the difference between commercial media and public service broadcasting, there have been many documentaries and reports on BBC radio and TV.

Schoenorama

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting Slider (Thread starter):
Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq?

When one does a Google-search for the phrase above, a whole load of hits turn up from mainly right-wing websites. A really interesting hit though is one from a site about Urban Legends (1). As this latter site states, this kind of e-mails have been send before. Despite its claim that all information is verifiable on the Department of Defense website, a link with the DOD's website were this info can supposedly be found, is not provided.

The Urban Legend site states: "These types of items are generally impossible to categorize with a single truth value because they typically contain a mixture of fact, opinion, subjective statements, inaccuracies, and literally true but often misleading claims. An Iraqi citizen whose response to the earlier piece quoted above was published on the Voices in the Wilderness web site chronicled some of the differences he saw between the claims the pieces offered and his viewpoint as an Iraqi."

(To view this iraqis viewpoints on a similar e-mail, go to http://vitw.org/archives/174.)

I believe many of the claims in this particular e-mail are subjective. As long as we are not informed what the situation was in Iraq before the invasion, a claim such as '4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October', there's really no way to know whether that claim is actually an improvement or not.

(1) http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/combatend.asp
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

PPVRA

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 19):

Quoting 7FTwinOtter (Reply 21):

Agree, I've seen reports on CNN/BBC about the rebuilding also.

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 2):

How many people were killed on average per/year under Saddam Hussein? I'm no fan of this war, but comments like these are just plain hollow and intended for inflamatory purposes.

PPVRA

[Edited 2005-07-11 20:20:03]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

nycflyer

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 am

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?

I met two of them in NYC recently. Great guys.

[Edited 2005-07-11 20:37:29]

jetjack74

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 8):
Did you know that almost 2,000 American soldiers have died in this war?

I wonder how many widows, fatherless children, and broken marriages that meant...

Did you know we lost over 30,000 US Marines in the first month in the Battle for Iwo Jima? I wonder how many liberals were crying foul over that? And that was just an island, with no WMD's on there either.
Made from jets!

11Bravo

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:53 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 25):
Did you know we lost over 30,000 US Marines in the first month in the Battle for Iwo Jima?

Actually, there were 6,821 KIA and the battle lasted a few days short of one month (2/19/45 to 3/16/45). Of course none of this has anything whatsoever to do with Iraq or liberals.
WhaleJets Rule!

Schoenorama

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:36 am

Did you know we lost over 30,000 US Marines in the first month in the Battle for Iwo Jima? I wonder how many liberals were crying foul over that?

You won't happen to know how many liberals were among those 30,000 Marines, won't you?

FlyingTexan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:47 am

Did you know we lost over 30,000 US Marines in the first month in the Battle for Iwo Jima? I wonder how many liberals were crying foul over that? And that was just an island, with no WMD's on there either.

Jetjack –

There is a slight difference between WW2 and W’s war for oil.

spin 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Udo

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:55 am

OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW?-OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Many of the "efforts" described in the list are not really new and also existed before the invasion. Does the report show how many things changed between then and now? I mean there have always been schools, universities, government employees, police officers (most of the "new" ones are just the "old" ones again) or an army. And we shouldn't forget a lot of "construction" work is going on because of bombs falling out of the sky not so long ago.

Free media, exchange programs and other positive events are great - but they are and will remain irrelevant to most citizens as long as dozens of people die in daily suicide bombings.

But didn't that happen because Japan once declared war?

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

slider

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 18):
While some 'normal' is returning to Iraq, it isn't in key areas, especialy in the central, heavily Sunni, ex-Baathist strongholds.

Imagine that.

My point in sharing this info is not to paint an overly rosy picture, but it's also not to portray things as bleak, pointless and miserable as the media would lead us to believe on a daily basis.

And Schoen- those are DoD facts. Snopes said unverifiable.

Schoenorama

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 30):
And Schoen- those are DoD facts. Snopes said unverifiable.

After Rumsfelds' statements on where WMD would be found in Iraq, we all know how reliable DoD facts really are.  Wink

There's only one word for such 'facts': propaganda. Propaganda isn't necessarily some information which isn't true. it's often subtle things such as the subjectivity of the statements, the (extreme) onesidedness regarding the time frame (no info on situation before the war), which can turn otherwise useless facts into the most powerfull propaganda.

The little fact there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers is such an example. It is (probably) factually true, but it actually obscures a nasty negative bit of info, namely that many Iraqis simply can't rely on the normal telephone system because those lines which weren't destroyed in the invasion are overloaded and the installation of new lines is simply taking too long. http://vitw.org/archives/174

slider

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:52 am

Schoen- we can split hairs all day long if you like. My point stands that it's not as bad or as good as most would lead you to believe...

The truth about Iraq lies somewhere in between I believe.

Again, I'm not painting it as a panacea, but there are major developments unfolding that have never occurred there previously and it is, at the very least, an encouraging sign of progress.

Frustratingly slow progress for our instant gratification culture, but progress nevertheless.

TheRedBaron

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 28):
Jetjack –

There is a slight difference between WW2 and W’s war for oil.

Our Friend Jetjack doesnt know the diference in the words WAR and INVASION....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

B744F

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 am

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at presidential motorcades.

The media has always loved plastering negative images on the screen because people are attracked to watching the suffering of others. Drama is a big hit for a reason, it's not about reporting anymore, its about getting the most viewers. And viewers don't want to watch an informative reporting program, they want to watch stories of death and destruction to make their worthless lives feel more important.

aerobalance

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 2):

Did you know that in the Korea Conflict that we lost 37,000 US soldiers in 3 years? Why aren't you crying about that also, sheesh.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

B744F

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:11 am

And things like the US guarding oil facilities while many power stations, sanitation facilities etc still are inoperational just show the true nature of the allies intentions in the region

jaysit

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:16 am

Did you know that on Septmber 11, 2001, over 4000 flights took off safely prior to the WTC and Pentagon crashes?

Did you know that on September 11, 2001 over 40,000 bags of pretzels and cans of soda were served to over 1 million passengers in the sky?

Did you know that over 200,000 bags were NOT lost by the airlines on September 11?

And yet our media doesn't report these wonderful statistics and endlessly focuses on just 4 downed airplanes. Its just awful, I say !! The media just likes to focus on the negative and ignore the positive !!
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Schoenorama

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 32):
Schoen- we can split hairs all day long if you like. My point stands that it's not as bad or as good as most would lead you to believe...

The truth about Iraq lies somewhere in between I believe.

At least that is a much more honest statement then the thread-opener.

I agree many good things have probably taken place in Iraq and are still underway. My whole point is that DoD 'facts' should not be taken at face value for the mere nature of DoD (Department of Defense) itself.

jaysit

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:22 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 34):
The media has always loved plastering negative images on the screen because people are attracked to watching the suffering of others.

Really?

I don't remember seeing any images of the nearly 15,000 Iraqis who were killed as a result of "collateral damage" on our homegrown versions of Tass and Pravda (Fox News, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC). In fact, were it not for the foreign press policing our stoogey press, we'd still be told that not a single civilian was killed.

B744F

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:24 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 39):
Really?

I don't remember seeing any images of the nearly 15,000 Iraqis who were killed as a result of "collateral damage" on our homegrown versions of Tass and Pravda (Fox News, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC). In fact, were it not for the foreign press policing our stoogey press, we'd still be told that not a single civilian was killed.

Thats only because people can't feel any connection to somebody like an iraqi while they do towards a fellow American, or another white person to get more to the point.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:26 am

I've been critical of the whole Iraq thing, but this is something that strikes me as intriguing that we haven't heard a lick about these things. Got this in e-mail, and as it notes below, the facts are verifiable through US DOD.

Ha Ha Ha -

I would have made the same bet as Maverick, less than a dozen posts before this thread turned in to a flame war . . .

You can always count on the naysayers on A-Net . . . they'll be the same ones that will be buried in a Gold Plated Coffin and then bitch because they don't like the color.

Some people just need to bitch . . .

And they are usually the same people . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aloges

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:32 am

Oh, a thread about Iraq... and people are bitching! Why, that's a new one!  yawn 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

jaysit

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
You can always count on the naysayers on A-Net . . . they'll be the same ones that will be buried in a Gold Plated Coffin and then bitch because they don't like the color.

Funny you should think about coffins when you think of this mess? A Freudian slip, maybe?

Or is the DOD telling us that the dead will be buried in gold plated coffins too?

Quoting B744F (Reply 40):
Thats only because people can't feel any connection to somebody like an iraqi while they do towards a fellow American, or another white person to get more to the point.

Gosh, and these were the poor sods we were liberating. Amazing isn't it that the same people who are now crowing about all those Iraqi kids in school couldn't give a rats ass when those same kids were being blown to bits courtesy of 21st Century warfare. It seems that the only time these folks think about Iraqi civilians is when they want to use them for photo-ops and propaganda pieces.

dragon-wings

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:31 am

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers?

So after we destroy their air force in the first war we are paying to rebuild the Iraq air force? (If this is not right someone please correct me)

With almost daily terrorist bombing this counter-terrorist unit is not doing a very good job.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

jaysit

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 44):

With almost daily terrorist bombing this counter-terrorist unit is not doing a very good job.

ROFL !!!

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 44):
So after we destroy their air force in the first war we are paying to rebuild the Iraq air force? (If this is not right someone please correct me)

Their entire airforce was hidden underneath tarpaulin somewhere in the desert. And, yes, we did bomb it to smithereens.

dragon-wings

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:46 am

What I ment to ask is why do we have to pay for a new Iraq air force? Why can't Iraq pay for it? They have enough oil to sell.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

tbar220

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 23):
How many people were killed on average per/year under Saddam Hussein? I'm no fan of this war, but comments like these are just plain hollow and intended for inflamatory purposes.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how its hollow and intended for inflamatory purposes. Are you going to just simply ignore the fact that in just about 100 days (since April 28) over 1,500 people have died to the insurgency? That's about 15 people a day. Now think about that for one minute, that's only in the last three months. We know that there has been far more dead in the entire length of this war, and you're calling my comment inflamatory?

At what point do the dead outweigh the so called benefits of this democracy we're imposing on the Iraqis?

At what point do 2,000 of my American brothers dead outweigh giving democracy to another nation, when it is so flawed in our own backyard?
NO URLS in signature

PipoA380

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 46):
They have enough oil to sell.

Nope. Someone took it  Wink
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

jaysit

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:01 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 46):
What I ment to ask is why do we have to pay for a new Iraq air force? Why can't Iraq pay for it? They have enough oil to sell.

Eventually we'll settle the score in barrels of oil. Don't worry.

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 47):
Quoting PPVRA (Reply 23):

Along with other human rights organizations, The Documental Centre for Human Rights in Iraq has compiled documentation on over 600,000 civilian executions in Iraq. Human Rights Watch reports that in one operation alone, the Anfal, Saddam killed 100,000 Kurdish Iraqis. Another 500,000 are estimated to have died in Saddam's needless war with Iran. Coldly taken as a daily average for the 24 years of Saddam's reign, these numbers give us a horrifying picture of between 70 and 125 civilian deaths per day for every one of Saddam's 8,000-odd days in power.

http://www.gbn.com/ArticleDisplayServlet.srv?aid=2400&msp=1242

In other words, it aint pretty. I'm not sure how many deaths are being averaged under the terrorist bombs in Iraq, but if you include the 15,000 civilian deaths under Operation Shock and Awe (or whatever we called it), it's not pretty either.