BMIFlyer
Topic Author

London Bombers Were From Yorkshire, 1 Arrest Made

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:42 am

Well, im sad to say that the bombers were 'local' (well to me anyway).

Police arrested someone earlier today, after carrying out a controlled explosion at his/her house.

http://www.itv.com/news/index_1168340.html

I used to live in Leeds as well  

We now also know that 1 bomber was killed in the attacks.

Comments??

Lee

[Edited 2005-07-12 19:45:33]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

whitehatter

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:47 am

Police are saying that it looks like all four died in the attack, although forensics need to be completed and the coroner to formally report first.

A related vehicle was found at Luton and the station closed. Hopefully not too many EZY and FR punters were affected.

They also have surveillance of the bombers arriving in London, and more or less now know who did it. That's the first step to locking up accomplices.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

na

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:50 am

What does it mean? That they are "from Yorkshire" doesn´t mean they are necessarily British. The report does not mention that. Mentions nothing if they are local Al Qaida (as Mr.Blair was quick to say last week), or just homegrown fish-and-chips eating killers.

But if the responsibility for the horrendous attacks of last week is confirmed to be on British locals, well, I´d like to see the comment of the Prime minister.

Banco

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:51 am

Pretty quick work by the police, it has to be said.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

steve7e7

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting NA (Reply 2):
That they are "from Yorkshire" doesn´t mean they are necessarily British.

According to tonight's news reports,all four suspects were of British nationality.

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:56 am

I went past Luton train station an hour ago, the place is swarming with the media, the main road into the station is blocked and the University campus closed. All this due to a 'suspect' car. As far as the investigation is concerned, the police have stopped short of using the words 'suicide bombers', but that is what it looks like right now.
In Arsene we trust!!

na

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:01 am

"According to tonight's news reports,all four suspects were of British nationality."

The UK has lots of more or less closed ethnic circles who are not all faithfull, though most ceretainly are. I wouldn´t wonder if some Al Qaida guys hold British passports.
Not that I would like to see that.
It would be very interesting to see why they did it if the killers are "real" British, born there and, well, Christians in a cultural sense.
Protest against the steep rising in London´s congestion charge or what?

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:04 am

Quoting NA (Reply 2):
What does it mean? That they are "from Yorkshire" doesn´t mean they are necessarily British. The report does not mention that. Mentions nothing if they are local Al Qaida (as Mr.Blair was quick to say last week), or just homegrown fish-and-chips eating killers.

But if the responsibility for the horrendous attacks of last week is confirmed to be on British locals, well, I´d like to see the comment of the Prime minister

What do you mean by this, whether the bombers were foreign or British they are still Muslim extremists and scumbags who Blair blamed. If your thinking that we'll turn on Blair like the Spanish turned on their government then you will be very dissappointed.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

whitehatter

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 am

Limited details so far, but the Police were saying all four are British and probably British-born.

Extremists can pop up anywhere, they don't have to be directly linked to Osama and his band. It could even be a wannabe group who were fired up by other radicals and decided to do something like McVeigh did in the USA.

na

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:11 am

Sorry if you got me wrong.
I don´t want anyone to turn against Blair "like the Spanish did".
And that the killers are "still muslim" I read for the first time in this thread. So far all I could gather in the media so far in the last minutes was they are "British", what lead me to think in absence of further information it could as well have been a UK version of the Oklahoma bombers. And something like that surely would require an answer of Tony Blair, don´t you think.

If the killers are UK Al Qaida or some sort of it, forget that comment about Blair I made.

Banco

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:15 am

NA, the police have scrupulously avoided any mention of the ethnicity or religion of the suspects. As you can imagine, people are tending to draw their own conclusions, both because of the specific area and the families the media believe are involved (in the loosest sense). Nevertheless, as far as official comment is concerned, they're only referring to "British" and "Yorkshire" people.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

cfalk

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:18 am

There are quite a few Al Qaeda members that are British, (like the ones who were imprisoned in Guantanamo for a while). There are are also Americans, French, Canadians, and all sorts of surprising nationalities. Anyplace, basically, with a sizable Muslim population, has unfortunately sent a few nuts into the mix.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Banco

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 11):
few Al Qaeda members that are British, (like the ones who were imprisoned in Guantanamo for a while)

Wow. That's a big statement. One without a shred of proof. In fact given that they were never charged with any offence it could be deemed libellous. Of course, this is why we have a legal system.

Capital146

Well, living in the West Yorkshire region myself, I am saddened, but perhaps not completely shocked that these screwed up individuals are from this area.

We have the greatest integration here of native English people and Asian (mostly Pakistani) communities that you'll find anywhere. The vast majority get along respectfully and peacefully with each other, but there are bad elements on ALL sides who want to cause as much pain to those who they see as their 'enemy'. This often makes the atmosphere somewhat tense at times. Because the bombers have been described as British, of Pakistani origin, then I am worried about the potential of these extreme elements of society clashing again, remember we had race riots in Bradford around 4 years ago, the worst riots Britain had seen in decades.

The police are issuing statements to remind the public that the actions of the bombers do not reflect the Muslim faith, and have made pleas for no attacks against Muslim communities. They have said that people (of all faiths) need to look on these particular individuals purely as murders, which is what they are.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

ohthedrama747

Quoting BMIFlyer (Thread starter):

We now also know that 1 bomber was killed in the attacks.

Good riddance.

Although, somehow i wish they got tortured for killing all those people with no warning.

BMIFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:28 am

As for one of the bombers, his family up north, apparently reported him missing on Friday morning   

Also, the content of the news report has changed since my original post.
As you can see it now confirms the blasts were in fact suicide attacks  

Edit, obviously all 4 bombers are dead then.

Lee

[Edited 2005-07-12 20:36:57]

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting OhTheDrama747 (Reply 14):
Good riddance.

Although, somehow i wish they got tortured for killing all those people with no warning.

No the best thing I'd like to see is for them to be tried and thrown in jail with the general prison population, they would have the same stigma attached as the rapists and paedophiles without the protection of living in a separate wing, they can becoming someone's punchbag and bitch.

ohthedrama747

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 am

Gman94,

You pretty much said what i wanted them to face. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
G

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 15):
As you can see it now confirms the blasts were in fact suicide attacks

To be honest I've never understood why people go off on one when suicide bombings are mentioned. A bombs a bomb don't matter if the guy sets it of there and then or if it's on timer or detonator, your screwed either way if your in the way.

jaysit

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:42 am

Quoting Steve7E7 (Reply 4):
According to tonight's news reports,all four suspects were of British nationality.

But some could be members of sleeper cells who immigrated to the UK several years ago just to create chaos.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

steve7e7

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 13):
remember we had race riots in Bradford around 4 years ago,

I remember,I was caught up in it.

God forbid it doesn't all kick off again if the bombers are proved to be Muslims.

Tensions have been high in Bradford since the riots last time round,too many people remember the carnage caused by the young Asians and the effect it had on the city.It won't take a lot to encourage a few troublemakers to stir things up to go on a revenge mission.

budyboy

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:03 am

When I was working in the Middle East, there were lots of Brits too. I remember some years ago that some town in Northern England had passed a law prohibiting Christmas lights because so many muslims had moved in and they considered it 'culturally insensitive'. Is that true? Think it was Bradford, or something like that. That's unbelievable if it is true.

scbriml

RE: London Bombers Were From Yorkshire, 1 Arrest Made.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting Steve7E7 (Reply 4):

This was odds-on all along.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

jaysit

RE: London Bombers Were From Yorkshire, 1 Arrest Made.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:15 am

Quoting Steve7E7 (Reply 20):
Tensions have been high in Bradford since the riots last time round,too many people remember the carnage caused by the young Asians and the effect it had on the city.It won't take a lot to encourage a few troublemakers to stir things up to go on a revenge mission.

Carnage? The definition of carnage is "the savage and excessive killing of many people." From what I know of the Bradford riots, there were numerous injuries (close to 300) caused both by the rioters and the police, but there weren't any deaths. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the Bradford riots were different. There the Asian groups said they rioted because of an impending National Front march in Bradford, and the white gangs then hit back at the Asians for the chaos and destruction they caused. It was sort of a domino effect with one group blaming the other.

In this case, those who perpetrated these crimes have no excuses and no one to blame.

BMIFlyer
Topic Author

RE: London Bombers Were From Yorkshire, 1 Arrest Made

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:26 am

Some facts about the bombers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676861.stm

Amazing how quick the police found out things....

Lee

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 23):
Carnage? The definition of carnage is "the savage and excessive killing of many people."

I think your taking what people say to literally. The proper meaning of carnage is a slaughter or massacre in war. But the word carnage is more commonly used in this day and age to describe violence and destruction on a lesser scale. I'm sure the people in Bradford at the time of the riot thought it was carnage.

jaysit

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 25):
But the word carnage is more commonly used in this day and age to describe violence and destruction on a lesser scale.

I'm sorry, but it isn't.
It's a very strong word that evokes death on a mass scale.
Words are very powerful. It's important to use the right ones.
Just my two bits.

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 26):
Quoting Gman94 (Reply 25):
But the word carnage is more commonly used in this day and age to describe violence and destruction on a lesser scale.

I'm sorry, but it isn't.
It's a very strong word that evokes death on a mass scale.
Words are very powerful. It's important to use the right ones.
Just my two bits.

We'll have to agree to disagree, carnage is quite commonly used in the UK.

brettbrett21

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:50 am

Loads of disruption today in town (luton).
Dont know if its at all related but saw 2 go-arounds in a row at LTN, a business jet and then an EZY 737, then a couple minutes later a fire engine went past with lights sirens heading to the airport??
Probably nothing as that was at about 6.30 so would've heard about it by now

brett
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

B744F

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:53 am

investigations drag on for months, how exactly can they find "the bombers" so quickly?

whitehatter

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 29):
investigations drag on for months, how exactly can they find "the bombers" so quickly?

This one didn't.

The police got a few good leads including a report of one of the bombers being reported as missing by his family. There have also been some early forensics and personal effects, which all tied into a pattern of movement with CCTV confirming it.

The seizure of explosives in Leeds and Luton confirms that this was the correct trail. Effective policing is following trails whilst they are still warm.

Gman94

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 29):

Just to add to what WhiteHatter said the whole of the London Underground, National Rail services and the most buses have CCTV fitted, the Police just followed the surveillance footage like a paper trail.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:56 am

Perhaps we are getting an outline of what happened from the new reports of the police investigations and actions today and the last few days.
They have examined enough bodies from the bomb sites and determined the identites of those cloest to the explosions and tracked their names to certain areas.
That perhaps the London bombers were from or had connections to the Leeds area, one that has a large Islamic, primarly Pakistani population where the small number of extremeists could blend in with.
Their probable actions on the day of the attacks:
All of the terror bombers went by car to the Train station in Luton, with their bombs partially prepared. They parked the car in the morning (7 am?) there and took the train to Kings Cross. Trains on that line go to London and terminate at Kings Cross Station. A car was blown up by police today and apparently preliminary evidence suggest there were explosives in the car and probably connected with the bombers. Video records shows 4 men together with backpacks somewhere in Kings Cross Station about 8:30 am. they split up, taking various Underground lines, but one taking a bus, to cover his tracks. Apparently the one on the bus screwed up the plan, and didn't get to his assigned underground station (Busses are always slow and behind times during rush hour traffic). One person whom had left the bus shortly before the explosion on it, noted a person acting nervously, fidigiting with a backpack. That bomber probably knew when the bomb would go off soon as all of the bombs were set with timers to go off at about 8:50 am, which they did.
Clearly exceptional effort of many police officers in the UK, MI-5, MI-6, some in Interpol and our FBI has been working on this investigation minutes after the attacks and their efforts are paying off. I just hope the co-conspiritors, helpers, funders of these terrorists-bombers can face life in jail for their obscene acts.

dc10tim

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:14 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 32):
Trains on that line go to London and terminate at Kings Cross Station.

This is one of the things that struck me. The main terminus of the line from Luton is St. Pancras. The train they caught was one of the Thameslink trains that connect north and south London, which stop at King's Cross Thameslink station.

Londoners correct me if I'm wrong, but access to the Underground is at King's Cross "proper", so they'd have had to walk several hundred yards down Euston Road, bombs in tow. Quite a scary thought.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:21 am

Londoners correct me if I'm wrong, but access to the Underground is at King's Cross "proper", so they'd have had to walk several hundred yards down Euston Road, bombs in tow. Quite a scary thought.

Actually not, all the bombers had to do was get off at Kings Cross Thameslink and walk down the tunnels connecting the overground station to the underground. From here you can get on the Piccadilly, Hammersmith/City, Northern, Victoria and Central lines.
In Arsene we trust!!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 15):
reported him missing

-> what is so astonishing about that ? I can well imagine that none of the families involved expected anything thelike. What a catastrophe for them !

Quoting Budyboy (Reply 21):
some town in Northern England had passed a law prohibiting Christmas lights because so many muslims had moved in

-> reminds me of President Nasser. When later President Nasr was a schoolboy, his father in his village, in spite of being a Muslim, was in charge of organising Christmas festivities and was one of the first people to import Christmas lighting into the Middle East. And I remember that, when I was in Aqaba in the mid-80ies, a local families played those longplay-records they had bought in London all evenings. And all those records were records of Christmas songs and chorals. And this in late August on the Red Sea. Beside the point that Christ in Islam is a prophet of relevance and importance, and his birth has nothing negative for Muslims. The difference between Christianity and Islam is just that the Christians have elevated this prophet into the rank of a "Son-of-God" and this "Son-of-God" notion is rejected by Islam. But nothing against his birth.

flyAUA

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 am

And here is the link regarding the bombers... just released by BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676577.stm
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:45 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 36):
regarding the bombers..

-
very sad story -- still - or nevertheless. I feel with the victims but I also feel with the families of the culprits of whom most, certainly, were NOT aware of the impending disaster.

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:47 am

In Arsene we trust!!

QANTAS077

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:06 am

what i don't understand is that British authorities admitted having no prior intelligence of this attack, yet they know who to go and arrest now?!?! how come they didn't know there was an attack being planned in the first place...

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:52 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 39):
British authorities admitted having no prior intelligence of this attack

it is THREE questions you ask. It looks as if they really did NOT have any prior knowledge EVEN if having had some of the culprits under "surveillance"

they know who to go and arrest now?!?!

most of that is based upon what they could find in the evidence-material and on the various surveillance films

they didn't know there was an attack being planned in the first place...

looks as if those in charge did not sufficiently take care of the situation

Springbok747

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:04 pm

It seems they were of Pakistani origin....no big surprise actually.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/servle...1002366458912&channel=Home&count=9
אני תומך בישראל

david b.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:35 pm

Another dumbass comment by Springbok. When are you going to stop?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

scotron11

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:25 pm

Yahoo reports the 22 year old graduate, one of the suspects, spent 2 months in Afghanistan and 4 months in Lahore last year.

So any linkup with Al Queda/Taliban could have happened on that journey.

So, in a way I can understand where Springbok747 is coming from. Pakistan and the Taliban had a close relationship for many years, and where they still have a lot of supporters, which doesn't disappear overnight!

jaysit

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 41):

Actually, it is no surprise. Most British Muslims are of Pakistani (or Bangladeshi) origin. And when you consider how active Al Qaeda and other Islamic fundamentalist groups have become in Pakistan, it's no surprise that they've got their tentacles in the Pakistani community in the UK.

What does surprise me is that at least 3 were British born. I find that pretty shocking.

How on earth does someone grow up in Britain and become so radicalized by Islamic fundmentalists?

Is it isolationism that leaves them open to exploitation by extremists? Is it the isolationism brought about by a fear of real or perceived racism that makes these young men retreat into their cultural and religious ghettoes? What makes the cries of fundamentalist Imams in the UK so attractive to these young men?

scotron11

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:48 pm

How on earth does someone grow up in Britain and become so radicalized by Islamic fundmentalists?

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 44):

And when you consider how active Al Qaeda and other Islamic fundamentalist groups have become in Pakistan, it's no surprise that they've got their tentacles in the Pakistani community in the UK.

Pretty much answers your own question.

Banco

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:20 pm

The one thing that may have a positive outcome here is that the Muslim community leaders will be re-doubling their (already significant) efforts to stamp out the radicals. The clear distress of the people of Leeds and Dewsbury having found that the bombers were living in their midst is rather moving.

It's all too easy to say that it's the responsibility of the likes of the Muslim Council of Great Britain, but the truth is it's the responsibility of all of us. It seems certain that these young men were used by an outside agency and we all have to take responsibility for allowing that to happen.

But racial and religious relations in Britain are, it must be remembered, overall rather good, rather harmonious. We don't have any city ghettoes here. Even the areas with the largest ethnic populations are not exclusively non-white. Different races and communities overall live together fairly well. The tabloid headlines created by such examples as the Christmas tree lights mentioned above, or the banning of hot-cross buns at Easter in schools, is invariably the result of some idiot trying to be "representative", rather than anything else. Certainly, in the case of the latter, the MCGB were furious about it, complaining that it was precisely such stupid decisions that created tension where none existed in the first place.

The increasingly impressive Sir Iqbal Sacranie was amongst many - all - who were utterly scathing about these radicals. It will be stopped - it won't be easy, but it will. These people are a tiny, tiny minority. If this event has done anything, it has brought us all closer together, regardless of colour or creed. I must emphasise, the pain of the Muslim communities at finding these people were living amongst them is totally genuine and heartfelt.

cornish

Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:32 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 46):
These people are a tiny, tiny minority. If this event has done anything, it has brought us all closer together, regardless of colour or creed. I must emphasise, the pain of the Muslim communities at finding these people were living amongst them is totally genuine and heartfelt.

And I notice that one of the new victims names released is almost certainly from a Muslim family. People must not forget that innocent Muslims have died in this tragedy too, and they have families who will be grieving this loss. This wasn't an attack by one religion on another, it was an attack on everyone, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender.

Normal peaceful, muslims in the UK are as horrified as anyone by this.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

YYZAeroEng

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:49 pm

what i don't understand is that British authorities admitted having no prior intelligence of this attack, yet they know who to go and arrest now?!?! how come they didn't know there was an attack being planned in the first place...

When UK code breakers, through the ULTRA program, cracked ENIGMA, they had access to almost all Nazi plans of attack.

If the UK and her allies used this information to counter every Nazi attack, the Nazi's would have suspected their code was broken and come up with something new. It's one of those unfortunate situations where Churchill had to make the decision to send 100's of men to slaughter in order to maintain his advantage.

It may be a similar situation here. MI-5, and MI-6 may be in possession of information about the bombing but are being tight lipped because they don't want to give away any advantage they may have. UK intel agencies have proven themselves to be excellent at their jobs over the years. But they didn't get that way by telling the public everything they know and what they're doing to stop threats against us. It's the nature of espionage, it's secret, those that need to know will know.

As we have seen the UK police have very quickly build a case again the purportrators of these awful crimes and I"m sure in time they will bring the accomplices to justice.

Rohan
Mind that Bus! What bus? *Splat!*

7LBAC111

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 41):

Without starting a riot, I'm not surprised either.

Is this likely to lead to big swing in people politics now? Will the hardline BNP generate support, particularly in West Yorkshire?

I think the sad answer is yes.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.