ACAfan
Topic Author

Is My Bose Wave Radio Evil?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:00 am

According to this article, "bose" means "evil":

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jul/05071301.html

Which is the name of an American electronics company (their most popular product is their "Bose Wave Radio"):

http://www.bose.com/
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

Klaus

RE: Is My Bose Wave Radio Evil?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:19 am

Not exactly... "evil" in german is spelled böse - notice the umlaut.

By the way: The last prime minister of the german region state of Baden-Württemberg had actually the name Erwin Teufel - "Teufel" literally meaning devil. Even in that predominantly catholic state nobody ever even raised an eyebrow... Big grin

ACAfan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
Not exactly... "evil" in german is spelled b�se - notice the umlaut.

Thanks for chiming in. I dont know what the umlaut is supposed to sound like.
In English, "Bose" rhymes with "nose".
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

CaptOveur

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:30 am

Geez.. someone under the age of 70 who was actually dumb enough to get assraped by Paul Harvey.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Klaus

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 2):
Thanks for chiming in. I dont know what the umlaut is supposed to sound like. In English, "Bose" rhymes with "nose".

Yeah, but the "ö" in böse would sound more similar to the english pronunciation of the "u" in further.

"ä" would be pronounced similarly to the "a" in the english at.
"ü" has no close relative in english pronunciation I´d know of...

German umlauts are actually contractions of "a", "o", "u" with a following "e": "ä" = "ae", "ö" = "oe", "ü" = "ue". If umlauts are not available, the combinations are actually used as "official" substitutes and umlauts are often sorted like the substitutes as well to facilitate phonetic searching.

Especially in names both Müller and Mueller would be pronounced identically and both variants exist.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 3):
Geez.. someone under the age of 70 who was actually dumb enough to get assraped by Paul Harvey.

Wow... somebody clearly didn´t take his medication today! Big grin

ACAfan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
Klaus From Germany, joined Jul 2001, 7279 posts, RR: 55

Thanks!

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 3):

I did not buy it. I inherited it.

whitehatter

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting ACAfan (Thread starter):
Which is the name of an American electronics company (their most popular product is their "Bose Wave Radio"):

Not exactly American either.

Dr Bose is one of the leading experts in acoustics in the entire world, and is Indian. Bose is a common surname in India.

He works in the USA and has based his company there. Somehow I doubt he is an Indian Dr Evil  Wink
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

drewfly

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:52 am

Dr. Bose has been a U.S. citizen since the 1960s, their headquaters are in Framingham Massachusetts. I assure you, it is quite an American company.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

MD11Engineer

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:58 am

BTW, did you read the text on the site the original post mentioned? The pope is against Harry Potter books, because they destroy the border line between "good and evil". He likes it black and white, the pope and doesn't accept that there might be a gray area. For him it is moral relativism.
Seems that he needs a bit of common sense!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi