TACAA320
Topic Author

Some Floridians Had Enough!

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:18 pm

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

KLMA330

RE: Some Floridians Had Enough!

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 pm

I just retuned home from a long vacation on SoBe, and let me tell you, the weather of Florida, and living right by the ocean, is well worth the risk of a few storms a year... IMO anyway. A few storms? or a 9 month fridgid Canadian winter, guaranteed every single year? I'll take my chances in sunny Florida anyday  Smile

TedTAce

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 pm

Loosers.. They walked away from the event with their lives, and they are whining about some property that insurance will replace??? I know it's got to be stressfull to rebuild house after house, but they have a trailer for goodness sakes!!!
This space intentionally left blank

jamman

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:28 pm

My mum was talking to some old fella around Cape Cod when she was on holiday last month, he had to re-build his Florida home twice.
He was now living in a condo - he was so sick of the weather he was looking for a place round the Cape.
I was under the impression that this was part of the course in Florida - why move now?
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

TedTAce

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 3):
why move now?

Same reason people complain about the airports in their back yards that were there YEARS before they moved there..

desertjets

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 3):
I was under the impression that this was part of the course in Florida - why move now?

Last hurricane season, and it appears this season too, has been far more active than usual. The Florida panhandle/Mobile Bay area has been hit by 2 major storms in as many years. Which is somewhat unusual. Of course the guy will move to Cape Cod and settle in later this summer. Only to get hit by a late season hurricane that went up the Atlantic coast. That would be the ultimate irony.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Falcon84

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 1):
A few storms? or a 9 month fridgid Canadian winter, guaranteed every single year? I'll take my chances in sunny Florida anyday

Wimpass!  Big grin

You can live there, but, like those who build their homes in SoCal in areas prone to mudslides, people on the beaches where a 'Cane can hit, should not be allowed to get federal assistance to rebuild over and over and over if theyr houses are destroyed. That's happened in SoCal in the past, but it's changing. If you know the risk, you take ALL the risk.

Enjoy your beautiful days on the beach, when we're freezing our asses off up here.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

jamman

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Its more Miami Ice than Vice in the north during winter I believe  cold 

KLMA330

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:58 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 7):
Its more Miami Ice than Vice in the north during winter I believe

If you haven't lived through a Canadian winter, you have no idea! The norhtern US isn't much better, but Canada takes the cake... Once again, gimme Florida and Hurricanes any day of the day!! If I get stressed out over a storm, I'll go work out my frustrations with a vigorous swim in the ocean.. that should take care of it  Wink

DAL767400ER

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:00 am

Even if this and last year's hurricane season are more intense than in previous, it doesn't take much intelligence to know that such years could always happen. After all weather doesn't work on schedule, so to say. For that very reason, I would always build a house made of stone, not wood, if I ever make enough money to kiss Germany goodbye  Wink .

jamman

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 8):
If you haven't lived through a Canadian winter, you have no idea!

Yes I like snow, we get a wafer thin layer most Winters and its usually melted by dinner time!

My opinion of snow would probably change if I lived in Northern US/Canada, which I might be doing in years to come, somewhere around lake Erie.
I hear lake effect snow is something that has to be seen to be believed!   

[Edited 2005-07-14 17:15:14]

AC320

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:11 am

Good, then maybe traffic will get a little better around here. The lifestyle of Florida is definately worth the frequent summer showers and yearly (or two or three) hurricanes, in my opinion. Worth leaving Canada for (almost  Wink)
fuddle duddle

KLMA330

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:15 am

Lake effect snow... words you don't want to hear in mid July!

I live in Toronto. Right now, we're sitting at about 32C, it's been beautiful, sunny, hot, and wonderful. Looking around, you'd never guess what this place turns into in a few months time. Although we're relatively protected from lake effect in the downtown, the town I grew up in was in the "snow belt", and by late winter, the "snow banks" at the edge of the streets mounted to over 6 feet high...

Personally, I would love to live in a place where I could enjoy the outdoors year round. It doesn't have to be hot and tropical all the time, but harsh winters that keep you indoors for at least 2 thirds of the year just get over bearing after a while. Especially for someone who loves Patios as much as I do  Smile

Delta767300ER

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:28 am

Florida is alright but it does have its problems. Humidity is my biggest complaint. It is absolutely sweltering outside right now. Hurricanes are a factor, but wouldnt force me to move. I would rather live in Arizona though, no rain, no humidity!

-Delta767300ER

DAL767400ER

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 13):
I would rather live in Arizona though, no rain, no humidity!

...no topless chicks on the beach  Wink .

Continental

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 1):
or a 9 month fridgid Canadian winter

Ha! That's no Canadian winter living in Toronto! I live in the Minneapolis, MN area, and we're colder than Toronto! I hate these winters! I used to live in Spring Hill, Florida, which is just miles north of Tampa. We were smart enough to move inland a few miles, so the beach was just down the road, and we received no damage when the hurricanes came!

Delta767300ER

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 am

LOL DL767400ER! Go to Miami Beach. The women are awesome! White, Black, Latino, ect. OMG its an amazing site.

-Delta767300ER

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:39 am

I'm not surprised. Even if you're not in the path of the storm, it's still a bitch! All the supplies run out, power is out, water is out, streets flooded, etc, etc, etc. Here in TLH we got the most rain in FL from Dennis. Good thing now we seem to be out of Emily's path.

Thanks for the link Hugo.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

DAL767400ER

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 16):
LOL DL767400ER! Go to Miami Beach. The women are awesome! White, Black, Latino, ect. OMG its an amazing site.

Don't really know about that, as last time I was in Miami, I was only 5 years old. But I have seen some awesome chicks (in most cases accompanied by their boyfriends :roll Smile at St. Augustine Beach as well, though obviously not nearly as many as in Miami.

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 am

and they are whining about some property that insurance will replace???

While school year is in effect (college), I work for one of the State agencies in FL and we are always asked to volunteer during hurricane season for the FL helpline and the FL emergency ops center. You'd be surprised how many people never get just compensation for their material losses. Hurricane season is always a very sad time of the year when you have to work in the emergency ops ctr.

Stefano  wave 

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:13 am

I love living in Wisconsin....seriously! It's -30° F in the winter and 105° F in the summer. There's blizzards, thunderstorms, tornadoes. There's low humidity and high dewpoints. It's a smorgasbord!

Today will be 942° F with dewpoints in the upper 60's. Nice and humid. Hopefully, the heat index will be about 103° F. The UV index is 9. And there's not a breeze to be felt. What a beautiful day!

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:32 am

Today will be 942° F

Better stay inside in the A/C otherwise you'll cook instantly  wink 

Stefano  wave 

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:33 am

Once again, gimme Florida and Hurricanes any day of the day!! If I get stressed out over a storm, I'll go work out my frustrations with a vigorous swim in the ocean.. that should take care of it

I second that. I lived in Montreal for 6months, including the winter, and decided to move back to FL.

Stefano  wave 

KLMA330

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 16):

So are the boys!! Watching them play beach volleyball on South Beach... could just spend hours! It's like and Abercrombie catalogue come to life!! Yum!

ltbewr

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:54 am

People are drawn to the shore/beach areas adjacent to oceans and seas, as well as lakes and rivers, and ignore that 'Mother Nature' can change all that in a storm. We need to stop building in the high risk areas with strongly set laws as to planning and zoning, based on well proven envriomental knowlege and to reduce the corruption to our politicans to allow building in high risk areas. Perhaps special and very high tax assessments and much higher property insurance rates to pay for the clean up, rebuilding from such storms should be put into place. I am very fearful of Class 4 or 5 hurricane hitting Florida (like Andrew in 1992) hitting downtown Miami, or Ft. Lauerdale - and it has happend before (in the 1920's). Long running cycles of storms also catch people off guard, and reduce it if they figure that they haven't see such storms for many years, they get complacent. We also have to consider the affects of Global Warming and storm patterns. People have to realize that no place is safe from all risks of nature including Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods, Landslides, or even human risks (pollution, toxic wastes), and should try to reduce such risks to them selves and society in general.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
I am very fearful of Class 4 or 5 hurricane hitting Florida (like Andrew in 1992) hitting downtown Miami, or Ft. Lauerdale - and it has happend before (in the 1920's).

There is nothing to be fearful about.

After Hurricane Andrew, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties enacted some of the strictist building codes in the country, as strict as Earthquake building codes in California (though they are meant to pervent hurricane damage, of course). When it came time to make these codes statewide, the construction industry took their lobbiest to Senate, and these codes were not made statewide. Only South Florida has them, and skyscrapers in Miami can withstand winds up to 165MPH, which is in only the strongest and absolute rarest of hurricanes. Add to the fact that South Florida has a virtual "wall" of Cuba and the Bahamas, which slow down hurricanes before hitting Miami, and they are in a very lucky situation. Hurricanes aren't that common in Miami/Lauderdale, with only two major hurricanes - 1964 and 1992 - in the last fifty years. And the damage Andrew did was heavily concentrated toward poorly built new contruction in southern Dade County. Miami, Miami Beach, and Fort Lauderdale came out pretty well (needless to say, the centre of the storm did go south).

If the greedy construction industry had cared more about people's lives and properties than themselves, then the situation in other parts of the states would have been much, much better.

[Edited 2005-07-14 19:04:14]
a.

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 25):
If the greedy construction industry had cared more about people's lives and properties than themselves, then the situation in other parts of the states would have been much, much better.

Yeap they are a bunch of rat bastards!!

I thought the Country walk people were scum....Last year there were 1,000's of people in Central Florida with homes under 3 years old had leaky walls and a LOT of the construction companies tried to dodge responsibility (I'm sure some still have). Millions of dollars in losses that were totally avoidable.. I hope this gets the Dade code statewide.

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:38 am

Does South Florida has nude beaches (as well as sunshine Canada)? Uhmmm ... Just pure curiosity.

I will never go to one of them ... If they have one.

Did I mention that I recently bought a new Tasco Telescope and binoculars?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

MGA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 27):
Does South Florida has nude beaches (as well as sunshine Canada)? Uhmmm ... Just pure curiosity.

I will never go to one of them ... If they have one.

Did I mention that I recently bought a new Tasco Telescope and binoculars?

http://funandsun.com/1tocf/beachf/nude.html

degenerado...  Wink
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting MGA (Reply 28):
degenerado...

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Takes one to know one Eh?

There is only one beach where you can totally get away with being totally naked, and that's Haulover, near N. Miami Beach. That place gets over 5,000 people there on a holiday weekend and you feel akward wearing clothes around them.

Next bet Apollo and Playalinda near KSC.. Apollo is supposed to be 'cooler' with the cops/locals but neither are 'officially' endorsed.

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting MGA:
http://funandsun.com/1tocf/beachf/nude.html

degenerado...

I didn't know there was a nudist lake beach in TLH!

Hugo,

If you really want to go to a nude beach go to SoBe... Otherwise I think you'll be dissapointed.

Stefano  wave 

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:20 am

"Takes one to know one Eh" [LAST REPLY]
Hi Ted.

That "degenerado" from MGA hurt to much, but I'm trying to locate with mapquest.com how to get there [going to Florida next month]. I have no intention to go to THAT beach, but must be a close one...

I hope that no hurricane "ruin" my plans and intentions... sorry my visit to icy FL.

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:25 am

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:53 am

Thanks Ted, Komodox and MGA for your help.  Wink

All of you are in my RU list now.

I have plans to use my new Canon Rebel XT [unused yet] digital camera along with the 75/300 mm lens. My intention is to take some pics of "mother nature".

B744F

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:04 am

What's so special about Florida? let's see, for half the year you get to worry about hurricanes, and sweat from the humidity, while on the west coast you get the sun but much less humidity and no hurricanes. Oh if you're scared of an earthquake that "might" happen or build your home on a hill then you probably won't like it, but in general So Cal is the place to be if you care about nice weather.

MGA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:06 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 33):
Thanks Ted, Komodox and MGA for your help.

All of you are in my RU list now.

Anytime...

I have plans to use my new Canon Rebel XT [unused yet] digital camera along with the 75/300 mm lens. My intention is to take some pics of "mother nature".

More of a Sausage factory and a Papaya plantation...  Silly

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:19 am

Quoting TACA320:
you are in my RU list now.

Like wise  Smile

Where in Florida are you going to be? Could give you some pointers about places where to shoot some nature.

Stefano  wave 

MAH4546

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:30 am

Haulover is the only nude beach, but all beaches in Miami-Dade County are top optional except for a designated "family area" in the North Shore State Recreation Area.
a.

OB1504

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 29):
There is only one beach where you can totally get away with being totally naked, and that's Haulover, near N. Miami Beach.

Please note, though, that only some parts of Haulover are clothing optional. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people walking naked onto the non-nude section of the beach and being fined for indecent exposure.

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:52 am

Whoah woah woah there..... BE VERY VERY VERY careful about this!!!!!
You would be right that you can legally take pictures there as it is a public place, but if they see you snapping away they will jump you like OBL mystically appearing in times square!! Will you be 'right' in that you can press charges for assault? Yes, but you'll be so bloody and bruised you'll wonder why you bothered. Oh and you'll likely be taking someone to court for the cost of the camera as well..

Keep your camera in your bag, find the SFFB booth and ask for assistance with people who might be willing to be photographed.

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:31 pm

TED

Thanks for the advise. Be sure that I don't want to violate the Law in a foreign country [nor in mine]. Nor the rights of others.

I know that is illegal to take pics of others without their consent.

Once again thanks.

[By the way, what happen in new Orleans during Mardi Gras, where many photographers take pics of others "semi-nude" people. Is the law in Louisiana different or is because of the "party"?].

MxCtrlr

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:58 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 2):
They walked away from the event with their lives, and they are whining about some property that insurance will replace???

Well, I'm STILL waiting for my insurance company to decide to do SOMETHING (like pay the damn claim) other than depose me and everyone else involved with my house. Meanwhile, I am paying TWO mortgages (one for my house and one for the place I am renting in the interim).

To add insult to injury, what belongings that did survive Charley are now lost as the insurance company advised me to remove nothing until they completed their claim survey. Eight weeks later, no claim survey even started, all my belongings were growing mold and are ruined. Now 11 months after the fact and still nothing from the insurance company other than "We might not be able to pay this claim because we don't have enough money."

I pay my premiums on time, and continue to pay them (as they are part of the mortgage payment). If I miss a premium payment, they drop my policy. If they don't live up to their contractual obligations, I have little or no recourse. Don't get me started with those assholes in the insurance industry!

Now it looks even worse because of the pretty green, black and orange mold growing on everything. Too bad I can't walk into my own house without a full respirator mask on!

And, for further clarification, I live 70 miles inland, in an area that wasn't hit by a storm in over 40 years...

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

mia

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:47 pm

If you dont like it LEAVE. That is the problem with non-floridians all they do is bitch about what is natural to our state.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 40):
[By the way, what happen in new Orleans during Mardi Gras, where many photographers take pics of others "semi-nude" people. Is the law in Louisiana different or is because of the "party"?].

That's entirely diferent because it's and exhibishonistic atmosphere... any body exposing themselves there and expecting it not to be on the internet or girls gone wild, is REALLY REALLY REALLY DRUNK!!!

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 41):
I pay my premiums on time, and continue to pay them (as they are part of the mortgage payment). If I miss a premium payment, they drop my policy. If they don't live up to their contractual obligations, I have little or no recourse. Don't get me started with those assholes in the insurance industry!

And you haven't contacted http://www.fldfs.com/ because?

Quoting Mia (Reply 42):
If you dont like it LEAVE. That is the problem with non-floridians all they do is bitch about what is natural to our state.

People whine, that's a fact of life. Just keep in mind some who whine wouldn't make it if this society was really about survival of the fittest.

MxCtrlr

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 43):
And you haven't contacted http://www.fldfs.com/ because?

Oh yeah...the WONDERFULLY helpful Florida Department of Financial Services. Is that the same DFS that allowed their own guidelines for how long insurance companies had to pay a claim to be extended and extended again because the insurance industry was complaining about all the claims they had to pay?

Is that the same DFS that told me because I hired an independant advocate, they couldn't help me?

Yeah, I contacted them about 2 weeks into this mess and got nothing but a huge run-around. I guess Jeb and Company were more worried about "saving" Terry Shaivo's "life" to worry about issues that affect the residents of this state directly and impact their daily lives far more than a brain-dead woman's parents inability to face the truth.

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

komododx

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:20 pm

Cut MxCtrl some slack. Seriously, I can't believe how some people here can still call him a whiner after he posts a picture of his house after the hurricane. Calling the state will not help at all. I have worked with the state (and will continue in the fall) as a contractor and I am currently working with a private firm getting information from agencies such as DEP and PSC and let me tell you they are the worst scum you could try to deal with. They don't know anything, they don't know who knows, and they don't care. Simple as that.

Stefano  wave 

TedTAce

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Well my wife had a great response (post Andrew) from the state when she had insurance issues, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

CORULEZ05

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:58 pm

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 13):
I would rather live in Arizona though, no rain, no humidity!

but highs of 110 degrees....I don't think so.

I love this state and I have lived here all my life. Yes the hurricanes are annoying but hey, every part of the country has their own downfalls. So we have to deal with storms for a few months of the year...big deal...the rest of the time is PARADISE.

And for all those who complain about the state and what is going on....simply LEAVE Florida and problem is solved......
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!