aa777flyer

Why Do Girls Like To Shop?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:32 pm

I really dont get this. My girlfriend loves just going out to buy stuff. Nothing that is really needed, just go out to the mall and buy stuff. I really dont get it. Is there some type of emotional high women get from going shopping? She could go out an spent litterally $1000 in an hour or two......
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

SlamClick

RE: Why Do Girls Like To Shop?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:35 pm

We are descended from hunter gatherers.

We hunt. (we go out and bring home money)
They gather.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

aa777flyer

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:49 pm

The other day she brought home a remote control fan, and a smoothie maker... WTF???? Who needs a remote control fan, and what are we gonna do with a smoothie maker......the total for these two things $175.....
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

Fokker Lover

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:53 pm

She's substituting for your lack of emotional support, understanding, and commitment.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

Delta767300ER

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:55 pm

Its a woman thang I guess. Going shopping with women is awesome, especially when they look at bras, underwear, thongs ect.

-Delta767300ER

saigonhouston

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:00 am

Not only girls like to shop but we're queers and we like to shop too.
However, we shop for a better taste and selections.
I think remote control fan is cool. Did she get it from Sharper Image?
The smoothie maker isn't bad to have one in the kitchen either and it good for summer days.

Birdwatching

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:14 am

I want to have a smoothie maker too!!! Do you think I could borrow your girlfriend for a week?  Smile (or the smoothie maker)  Smile
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Superfly

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:30 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 2):
The other day she brought home a remote control fan, and a smoothie maker... WTF???? Who needs a remote control fan, and what are we gonna do with a smoothie maker......the total for these two things $175.....

Time to get a new girlfriend.
Not all women are like this. None of the women I've had a serious relationship were cronic shoppers. I have many casual 'lady friends' that are shoppers but since I am not there full-time boyfriend or husband, I don't have to worry about there bad habits. They just shop and look pretty for me.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

TedTAce

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:43 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Thread starter):
She could go out an spent litterally $1000 in an hour or two......

Not that she does that daily or for hours on end, but be glad you can afford such a thing even on occasion..If she does do it daily, and/or for hours on end and you aren't in debit up to your eyeballs, be VERY GLAD you can afford that!!
This space intentionally left blank

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:45 am

Shopping is fun, but the spending money part can get out of hand. I try not to buy crap I don't need. A remote control fan and a smoothie maker would be in that category!  Smile

I do love to go to the mall and see what's new, and to get a good bargain.
But that was when I ruled the world

Superfly

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 9):
I do love to go to the mall and see what's new, and to get a good bargain.

Hear that Aa777flyer?
That's the kind of woman you want. One that looks for "bargains".
ScarletHarlot sounds like a smart shopper.
Spending money for the sake of spending money is a waste. Get your needs and wants at the lowest possible price.
I had a girlfriend that was a shopper but she was in to thrift shops just like me. She'd get bargains on clothes and other assecories and I scored plenty of 8track tapes.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

TheRedBaron

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:53 am

In my experience you are forgetting to have her occupied in other (more fun to do) stuff.
It maybe sex.
It maybe more social life.
It may be a more close relationship.
It maybe depresion.

as we say here in Mexico, get your antennae out and and put on some bateries...translation... Get attentive to her REAL needs and put your energy to it....

Do it or youll be bankrupt in no time
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:54 am

'Fly - my philosophy is to scrimp on things that don't really matter to me and then to spend more on important things. I also do not like clutter so I don't buy things we won't use often. For example, we don't own a big cooler because we would use it about once a year. I don't need to have it sitting in my garage taking up space.

I will spend money on shoes, because good shoes are worth spending extra money on. And cars. And a good dinner out. And travel.  Smile

Superfly

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 12):
And cars. And a good dinner out. And travel

Sounds good too me!  bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

saxdiva

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 am

I'm not much of a shopper in the traditional sense. Music stores, camera stores, and places like R.E.I. are notable exceptions. I also like bookstores. Both my husband and I are equally prone to stopping in at Sam Ash or Guitar Center for no good reason. Oh, and for some reason, we both like visiting IKEA.

Beyond that, however, requires a MAJOR sale. I'd rather have a root canal than set foot in a mall...

-Leanne

Superfly

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 14):
I'd rather have a root canal than set foot in a mall...

Same here, unless it's Christmas time.
I know that's when it's busiest but I get in to the spirit of Christmas and get a kick out of watching some mothers having fits and temper-tantrums in the stores when they ran out of a certain toy. Also the decorations, the music and most importantly Santa Clause is there!  bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 14):
I'd rather have a root canal than set foot in a mall...

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Same here, unless it's Christmas time.

I love to go to the mall, but I avoid it like the plague after Thanksgiving. I like to go on weekday evenings or early weekend mornings. I hate crowds. After Thanksgiving, all my shopping is done online!  Smile

NWADC9

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 4):
Its a woman thang I guess. Going shopping with women is awesome, especially when they look at bras, underwear, thongs ect.

Why, so you can try 'em on? Big grin
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

BMIFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Thread starter):
Why Do Girls Like To Shop?

Because It's all they are good at   

Lee

[Edited 2005-07-18 19:18:28]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

flyAUA

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:14 am

Because it's fun and you get to meet hot people, and then afterwards are rewarded with new items Big grin and a credit card that suffers  Sad
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

TPASXM787

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:20 am

My girlfriend likes to shop but she is a bargain shopper. She shops at stores like Aeropostale and Ann Taylor and always gets deals. She even finds deals for me like she did yesterday.

However, when she gets going with her mom to the home stores like Bed Bath and Beyond and Linens and Things, I stay far far away.
This is the Last Stop.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:22 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 18):
Because It's all they are good at

Bit of an arse, aren't you?  Yeah sure

BMIFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 21):
Bit of an arse, aren't you?

It was a joke, hence the  Wink

Lighten up will ya  Smile

aerobalance

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:41 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):

They gather.

I agree, take a cultural anthropolgy course on this and you will see that this is the case in every society.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

alberchico

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:43 am

and why do guys have to think about sex 24 hours a day ? It's the way God made us....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

WellHung

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:52 am

Seriously BMIFlyer, they mop the floor and take out the trash better than I ever could.

alberchico

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 25):
Seriously BMIFlyer, they mop the floor and take out the trash better than I ever could.

Today's modern educated girls consider cleaning and mopping to be the man's responsibility, not theirs.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:04 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 26):
Today's modern educated girls consider cleaning and mopping to be the man's responsibility, not theirs.

Wow! I'm so glad you guys are experts in everything about women. I must immediately change my thoughts to conform to your expectation of all girls. What was I thinking, attempting to be a person who thinks for myself? Sheesh.  Yeah sure

Superfly

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 am

ScarletHarlot:
Don't pay those jerks any attention. Those who made negative comments about women are just bitter because they can't get one without paying for a hooker.
That attitude proves that they have a severe social handicap in dealing with the opposite sex.
I am glad that there are guys like that. Makes my work a lot easier.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

WellHung

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 27):
What was I thinking, attempting to be a person who thinks for myself?

If I wanted your opinion, I would give it to you.  Wink

alberchico

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 27):
Wow! I'm so glad you guys are experts in everything about women. I must immediately change my thoughts to conform to your expectation of all girls. What was I thinking, attempting to be a person who thinks for myself? Sheesh.

go date a New Yorker and then get back to me.....

michaeljp

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:30 am

I'm a straight guy and I like shopping! If I'm shopping for myself that is.

Nothing wrong in going out and spending loads of dads money on new clothes or electronics or things like that. Its good fun.
One time I'm going to Dubai with £5-£6k just to shop Big grin It is real good fun...why do americans (no offence) have this thing that shopping is such a girls thing and if you shop as a guy you must be gay?
If my girlfriend wants to go shopping I say ok...as soon as we get to the mall I get lost and go shop for myself Big grin

Mike

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:17 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 30):
go date a New Yorker and then get back to me.....

With lines like that I understand why you have to ask A.netters for help in finding a girl.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Don't pay those jerks any attention.

Don't worry, 'Fly, I know they're just being buttknockers.  Smile

BMIFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:26 am

Once again people, I WAS JOKING!!!!

Lighten up please!  Yeah sure

Lee

CORULEZ05

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 am

The whole shopping thing can get excessive at times. I don't think there is anything wrong with shopping a lot as long as you have the money and you aren't going into debt as a result. Now, when you are buying things and not even using them...THAT is when you know there is a problem. I personally LOVE shopping because it is fun and always nice to get new things. I have cut back on my shopping tremendously because I realized I was spending outrageous amounts at a time and how I wasn't using the stuff I was buying. Now, I have actually become somewhat of a bargain shopper...IT'S GREAT! I think the reason why people like to shop is the same across the board (girl, straight guy, gay guy...doesn't matter)...its just a way to get out and just get your mind busy on something else.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

atrude777

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:25 pm

Oh I know the feeling..

I went with a girl co-worker of mine, cause she asked me if I wanted to come. I am not a shopper, I do not like the idea of going shopping, but she said she needed help and she hinted she might go into victorias sectre and try some stuff on..SAY NO MORE  Smile. Anyway, we went, i anticpated maybe 30 min of shopping....1 hr and im being generous. YEAH FRIGGING RIGHT!! 2 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES LATER....She was finally done! and she spent nearl 150 dollars, but got 85 of it on sale or gift certficates, and we did go to victorias secret but she didnt see anything she wanted to try on, I did, but she didnt lol. I had to play the b/f even tho we are not going out and hold her bags, and say she looked hot in this dress or shirt, or pants w/e it was she was trying on. She is awesome tho, and I wouldnt say no to shopping with her again but next time ill be prepared to shop for 3 hrs instead of 30 min.
Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Delta767300ER

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:10 pm

Quote:
Why, so you can try 'em on?

I would try the thong/underwear if she wanted me to. I am comfortable with my sexuality.

-Delta767300ER

Superfly

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:34 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 36):
I would try the thong/underwear if she wanted me to. I am comfortable with my sexuality.

What ever you do, DON'T post a photo here with you wearing one.
Bring back the Concorde

gkirk

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:42 am

Thats the good thing about having a girlfriend. You can go into the likes of Anne Summers and not be branded a pervert  Wink  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TheRedBaron

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:08 am

I go to the malls for the day with my wife when traveling, when In Mexico I avoid malls like the plage so does she....

What do I do? I make a quick trip to the bookstore and buy books, in case she takes too long I read, If she is going to take too much time and I want to check some "stuff', we use our motorola radios to know whre we are in the mall.

I like to shop when 2 conditions are met, I am looking for something ( I hate the malls when you dont have nothing in your mind to buy) and the place is crowded....hate that...!!

Also buying stuff you dont need, uses space, is usseless and sadly is throwing money to the trash...example: dancing figures, huge alien scultpures, and such....if you are not a collector and those are serialized items, man you are a compulsive buyer and will end up with a lot of useless shit. Man it amazes me the kind of stuff people would buy, just for the sake of getting something home.
Women buy a ton of clothes, shoes by the truckload, and I have learned that its irrational but they have it so I dont care, we men will put a ton of stuff in our car to make it go faster and we cant because of traffic laws and cops, so its in some way the same...!!! the same for stereos and tools, ,who of US can refuse going to buy some new "tools"...but in the end the sensible thing to do is buy what you really need and understand that men and women in this matter are not that different...

cheers

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

rossbaku

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):

They gather.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Delta767300ER

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:03 pm

Superfly, If Johan will grant me the following I will post a pic of me in an A-Net thong:

-Free lifetime membership
-Forum Moderator

-Delta767300ER

bill142

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 3):
She's substituting for your lack of emotional support, understanding, and commitment.

Or inability in bed.

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:01 pm

I'm actually going shopping with a cute coworkerette tomorrow.
Methinks her CC will be smoking after a couple of minutes of browsing the shops  Wink

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

B744F

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 23):
I agree, take a cultural anthropolgy course on this and you will see that this is the case in every society.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. Today, people shop because they think the next thing will make them happy. Some buy something just to show it off, but it all goes back again to making them happy. Hunter/gatherer roots is a ridiculous explanation for it. back then, what was gathered was food and other things for survival. Now its all for show and to be popular.

drewfly

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:15 am

I shop too much........but only for things such as cd's, stereos, receivers, guitars, amplifiers, tv's, computers, cameras, and stuff for my car.....basically expensive things I shouldn't be shopping for. My girlfriend, while she loves to shop, and does quite often, is incredibly cheap. She will rarely pick something up unless it is at least 25% off. I just spent 350 dollars on new car speakers and she couldn't understand why (sound quality is uber-important to me).

Quoting B744F (Reply 44):
Today, people shop because they think the next thing will make them happy. Some buy something just to show it off, but it all goes back again to making them happy. Hunter/gatherer roots is a ridiculous explanation for it. back then, what was gathered was food and other things for survival. Now its all for show and to be popular.

I think you are correct B744F, about buying things to make them happy. I know that I do because it feels good when my paycheck comes in and I'm able to buy something cool, seeing the "fruits of my labor" so to speak.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

B744F

Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:35 am

Quoting Drewfly (Reply 45):
I think you are correct B744F, about buying things to make them happy. I know that I do because it feels good when my paycheck comes in and I'm able to buy something cool, seeing the "fruits of my labor" so to speak.

You'd be surprised how good you would feel if you stop wasted that money and gave some of it to people who have nothing