Falcon84
Topic Author

NRA Cancels CMH Get-Together

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:28 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/18/nra.ban.ap/index.html

Once again, the NRA shows itself to be an extremists, wacked-out organization. I'm glad they're not coming to Ohio for their convention, and I'm glad Columbus passed this measure. The NRA can go do something anatomically impossible to itself, for all I care.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

RE: NRA Cancels CMH Get-Together

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Columbus needs to realize they passed a pretty moronic law that will do nothing to curb gun violence.

Cue the normal gun related flamewar.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

ANCFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:36 pm

My only post in this thread because of the usual Anti-Gun Flamewar that's about to begin . . .especially since I see BN747 is posting again . . .

Stupid Law won't prevent the criminals from having banned weapons in Columbus, Ohio.

Stupid NRA for letting this chase them off.

Nuff said . . .

Flame on . . .  flamed 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Stupid NRA for letting this chase them off.

It's just a case of capitalism at work; they'll take their $20million elsewhere....
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:27 pm

If I owned a buisness in CMH I would be pretty pissed.. All those empty hotel rooms that could have been filled, and empty seats at restaraunts... I guess the money of a group who supports gun rights is somehow less green than that of a group who thinks we should ban guns that look "bad"

ltbewr

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:57 pm

While the City of Columbus will lose millions in income, what is the cost to the city and county there every year due to gun violence, including police, justice system, medical, social services costs and so on? While the city is banning what are 'legal' weapons per Federal and even State laws, clearly their ban is to control the use and access to what are primarly weapons designed for hunting and killing people, not legitiment hunting and killing animals. The class of weapons banned by that City (and many other urban places too) recognizes that what are weapons for military purposes to kill people are far too often used or possessed illegally by criminals or to commit criminal actions and they desire to reduce the access to such weapons by criminals.
Far too many in the USA have this misguided and romantic view of the 2nd Amendment. While I do not discount the necessity of many people with limited and difficult access to law enforcement for the need of weapons for self defense, times are very much different than in the late 1700's. We have a formal military structure in the USA, with weapons supplied by the Government. Unlike the late 1700's, a bunch of private people with guns are not going to keep our government in line, but rather people interested in good governance, voting, being an informed citizen, participating in government and in our communities. Some of the greatest and best changes in the USA came from people speaking out with voices, not with a gun. In recent years in the USA we are quickly surrendering more of our lives to corrupt politicans tending to corporate and special interests that are very much taking away our freedoms including freedom of personal safety, trading away our jobs to China, getting involved in questionable wars and creating highly questionable laws like parts of the Patriot Act.
What the City of Columbus said was that they were more concerned with gun violence and not the NRA's money. Let them go to Texas, or Utah or Montana for their convention where their pro-gun access views are welcomed and fit in better.

L-188

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):
It's just a case of capitalism at work; they'll take their $20million elsewhere....

Exactly, that is the way a free market should work.

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Once again, the NRA shows itself to be an extremists, wacked-out organization

The only extremists in this story is the city of columbus, who have allowed themselves to be dupped into pissing on the constition of the United States.

They should be ashamed of themselves.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 6):
The only extremists in this story is the city of columbus, who have allowed themselves to be dupped into pissing on the constition of the United States.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Wrong. The extremists are folks like you, L-188, who honestly, REALLY thinks that assult weapons, meant to kill one thing, human beings, has ANY place in our society. They have none.

The extremists are the NRA, and those who support them, who want free sale of any type of gun, no matter what the detriment to society.

Columbus has nothing to be ashamed of, and everything to be proud of. It's not them that looks like little babies this morning, it's the extremist NRA, and their politics of fear.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:49 pm

Falcon, are you still bent out of shape over the federal assault weapons ban not getting renewed?

You do know it didn't save one single life.. Right?

If the law does not save lives and only complicates things for law abiding citizens what is the point of having it?

JOSEMEX

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:55 pm

Oh, Columbus...I have great memories of that town: a couple of years ago I was not able to purchase a beer at the Nationwide Arena because I could not show proof that I was over 18 (or whatever the legal drinking age is there).

I was 37 at the time. I showed them my (mexican) passport, but they wouldn't take it.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:05 am

CaptOveur, not bent out of shape over anything. I just don't have a love-affair with guns like a lot of people. I don't understand it, and I'll never own one. I've been alive almost 44 years, and never had the need for one. I think those who think they absolutely need one for protection believe the bull cookies put out by groups like the NRA. I'm not one of them.

See Hawkeye Pierce for my motto on this issue.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
The NRA can go do something anatomically impossible to itself, for all I care.

You mean lick its elbow?  spin 

Good for Columbus to stick it to the NRA.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CaptOveur

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
I don't understand it, and I'll never own one. I've been alive almost 44 years, and never had the need for one.

You probably also never NEEDED a remote control for your television.. By your logic we should outlaw those as well.

Don't ban someone elses hobby just because you don't like it.

dtwclipper

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 12):
You probably also never NEEDED a remote control for your television.. By your logic we should outlaw those as well.

Uh? How many crimes are committed with remote controls?

Please provide a link of just one crime or death which stemmed from an illegal remote control.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dtwclipper

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 12):

Uh? How many crimes are committed with remote controls?

Please provide a link of just one crime or death which stemmed from an illegal remote control.

CaptOveur

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:57 am

And how many murders are committed every year with legally owned weapons?

That number is probably shockingly close to the number of murders by TV remote.. Not counting the countless deaths from Americans being too fat to get out of their recliners.

dtwclipper

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 15):

That number is probably shockingly close to the number of murders by TV remote.. Not counting the countless deaths from Americans being too fat to get out of their recliners.

In the 14 deadliest mass shootings committed in wealthy nations during the past 35 years:

79% of the victims were shot with lawfully held firearms (185 of 233 victims)

86% of these mass shooting (12 of 14) were committed by lawful gun owners

Killings by legal owned Television remote controls 0

CaptOveur

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 16):

Killings by legal owned Television remote controls 0

Like that statistic is actually tracked.

CactusA319

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:11 am

In the 14 deadliest mass shootings committed in wealthy nations during the past 35 years:

How 'bout a source?

Mir

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:46 am

That number is probably shockingly close to the number of murders by TV remote.

I'm going to have to ask you to back that statement up with some facts.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

daedaeg

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:34 am

This sort of comparison is unfair. Fat people make a choice over their own health. A little girl sitting on a porch and subsequently shot by gang members doing a drive-by is not a choice. What's wrong with owning a simple hand gun and a hunting rifle. Why the hell does anyone need a semi automatic rifle?
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

Fokker Lover

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:37 am

The only way to win a war is to learn everything you possibly can about your enemy. That means studying them and possibly looking at things from their point of view. Every scrap of knowledge is pertinent.

Anybody who has never fired a gun, never held one, or knows absolutely nothing about the differences in the internal workings, has an opinion that is as useful as the 12 year olds on here giving advice about sex.

The article stated that semi-auto rifles (do you understand that term?) with detachable magazines and pistol grips were banned.

I can see that the anti's are afraid of detachable magazines because of the possibility of a quick reload.

Pistol grips are a different story. That is pure feel good nonsense that does nothing to make people safer. People fear things they don't understand. Since most anti's know absolutely nothing about guns, they fear a pistol grip and things that look "menacing".

I'm glad that the NRA won't be spending MY dues money in Columbus. They are welcome to spend it here in Youngstown. We have a brand new convention center that could really use the business.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

Newark777

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:42 am

Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 20):
A little girl sitting on a porch and subsequently shot by gang members doing a drive-by is not a choice.

On a related note, more children die from drowning than from guns.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaptOveur

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):

We should ban pools immediately!!

Signed,
Falcon84

dtwclipper

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 18):

How 'bout a source?

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF02.htm

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 pm

You guys keep your love of firearms. It's a free country. But I also have the freedom to oppose guns. Guns are meant to kill, and assult weapons are meant to kill one thing-people. We don't need them for anything. All you gun owners-why does ANYONE need an assult weapons-don't just tell me they're legal, but why does ANYONE need one?

If you say they do, you're a lunatic, plain and simple. Sorry, but that's the truth. I can tolerate, to an extent, handguns; I have no problem with hunters or collectors, but give me a good reason why anyone needs an assult weapons?
Work Right, Fly Hard

L-188

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:13 pm

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 18):

How 'bout a source?

Sarah Brady's arse.

Fokker Lover

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
I have no problem with hunters or collectors, but give me a good reason why anyone needs an assult weapons?

What you are calling an assault rifle, I call a hunting rifle with black paint and a pistol grip.
There is no difference internally and mechanically. So why would you try to discern a difference legally? Why not ban all rifles?

Let's try this one more time. Assault rifle = real assault rifle = fully automatic or selective fire. Used for military purposes. Can be owned legally if you jump through a mess of government hoops. Not really worth the trouble. Not addressed in the Columbus ban.

Assault rifle = not really, but looks like the real thing = semi-auto. That means you have to pull the trigger every time for it to fire a round. Is no different than numerous semi-auto hunting rifles with pretty walnut stocks and fancy optic sights that aren't addressd in the ban. We're talking 429 Cobra shell with a Volkswagon engine and frame here.

This is where the NRA takes a stand. If you can't tell the difference between the two, you have no business making up laws about them. If we let you get your foot in the door, Where will you stop?

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 21):
Anybody who has never fired a gun, never held one, or knows absolutely nothing about the differences in the internal workings, has an opinion that is as useful as the 12 year olds on here giving advice about sex.

I still stand by this.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:25 pm

Stand by it, my friend. More's the fool you.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NKP S2

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:19 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
Stand by it, my friend. More's the fool you

Lame  snooty 

Take your licking like a man.

scbriml

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:59 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):

So that makes guns OK?

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 28):
Why not ban all rifles?

Indeed why not? Most civilised countries manage to function perfectly well without this Ramboesque need for weapons in their houses.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

CaptOveur

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
but give me a good reason why anyone needs an assult weapons?

Do you even know what an assault weapon is?

I know PLENTY of weapons classified as "assault rifles" which have plenty of applications in hunting and shooting sports.

.223 is one of the best varmit calibers out there.. consequently that is the same caliber as an M-16. There are a lot of AR-15/M-16 derivatives that are used for hunting because of their great accuracy, and the fact they are chambered in that caliber. Oh, they do have a pistol grip(I like pistol grips, they are more comfortable). The AR-15s are semi-automatic (Falcon, that means when you pull the trigger 1(one) round fires), some even happen to have holdovers from their military counterpart, like a bayonet lug (Anyone hear about a bayonetting lately?). Also, after many years of shooting I can tell you a detachable magazine is just simply nicer because it isn't a pain in the ass to reload, and you can load all your mags at the beginning of your outing and not need to worry about sore fingers and whatnot as the day progresses.

One of the finest target rifles out there is the Springfield M-1A. This is effectively an M-14 that has been adapted for civilian use. It is chambered in .308 which is a great hunting caliber. It is semi-automatic, and has a detachable magazine. I have heard of people dropping deer with them, Also many competition winners shoot these. However, they are classified as assault weapons.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 30):
Lame

Take your licking like a man

ROTFL. If I had been licked, I would. But I got the same old "guns are great" drivel. Stow it somewhere dark, will you?  Silly

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 32):
I know PLENTY of weapons classified as "assault rifles" which have plenty of applications in hunting and shooting sports.

That's fine-I have no problem with hunting and shooting sports. But I doubt there's many hunting grounds or shooting ranges inside the city limits of Columbus, Ohio-do you?

Answer that one-why is an assult weapon need inside a big city? To shoot at pigeons?
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
Answer that one-why is an assult weapon need inside a big city?

Maybe they live within the city? Not all of us are privlidged enough to live where we shoot.

NKP S2

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
ROTFL. If I had been licked, I would. But I got the same old "guns are great" drivel. Stow it somewhere dark, will you? Silly

Pfft! Is that it? No, you were soundly trounced regarding a subject you know nothing about, yet your self-appointed stature of the A-net's certifiably biggest blowhard precluded you from admitting there actually is something you don't know about, voluminous missives notwithstanding.

Now for your 37 rubber stamp rebuttals in triplicate...............

Have fun.

[Edited 2005-07-20 23:25:06]

CaptOveur

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:26 am

I will post this in advance of the Anti-Gun crowd starting the usual poo-flinging.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 35):
No, you were soundly trounced regarding a subject you know nothing about

Getting hit with the same tired, old, lame lines by gun nuts isn't getting soundly trounced. Sorry, fella, deflate your ego a bit there.

I give you CaptOveur's very "mature" post above, since he had so much enlightening stuff to "trounce" me with.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CaptOveur

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):
I give you CaptOveur's very "mature" post above, since he had so much enlightening stuff to "trounce" me with.

It was a pre-emptive strike against the BS that is sure to follow.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Actually, it WAS BS.
Work Right, Fly Hard

skidmarks

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:46 pm

Guns are designed to kill. Whether it kills people or animals is immaterial. Just one "accidental" killing is one too many. Comparing a drive by killing to drowning is rather a lame excuse in my view, simply a justification for owning and carrying around a weapon designed to murder.

We get by in Europe without armed citizens, even with the apparrent increase in illegal weapons. Why on earth should the people of the USA, with its supposed "Civilisation" want to walk around with weapons designed to kill efficiently and quickly? One reason I can think of is Machoism, a desire to look toough and hard. "Look at me, if I want to I can kill you" Wow, so impressive.

It's time the USA grew up and started to act like a civilised country instead of trying to show everyone how tough and big it is, and how free they are by allowing gun ownership. With the amount of stress and paranoia extant in the States, it has to be the most dangerous combination ever.

Just my 4pence worth.

Incidentally, being ex-military I have a healthy respect for weapons and their capabilities. I have seen too many results of what bullets do to bodies to like guns.

Leave guns where they belong, in the hands of the military and police, not in homes.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Fokker Lover

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:37 am

Why is it that as soon as we start talking about guns, people automaticlly think we are running through the streets trying to defend ourselves from bad guys? It's simply not true. I would even venture to say that 99% of all guns are never fired in anger or fear.

The next question is always, " Why does someone NEED an assault rifle?".
I'm not even going to go into how they are NOT assault weapons. You just don't know the difference. The simple answer to that question is they are just plain fun. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I rarely go to movies. I never go to concerts, and can't stand sports. I don't even hunt. How I spend my spare money and spare time is MY business nobody else's. The day we have a law that says we can only buy things that we NEED, we will all be in trouble.

A good friend of mine buys fully automatic Browning 1919A4 machine guns from the government. I wouldn't call it an assault weapon, because it is a full blown, battlefield sweeping, killing machine. It's beyond assault weapon.
It can't be used for hunting or self defense. It's very heavy, requires a tripod mount, is belt fed and is best fired by two people. He converts them to semi-auto, then legally sells them for about 1800 dollars.
I know all of you anti's are spitting at the screen and screaming WHY right now. Living life is about having fun, and shooting them is just plain damn fun. That's why.
....And to piss off the green weenies...... When we really want to have fun, we load them up with incendiary rounds and shoot the hell out of gas cans, just to watch them explode. Now that's fun.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:11 am

FL, I think you need a new interpretation of the word "fun".

Unbelevable.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

Fokker Lover

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:25 am

You asked a question. I gave an honest answer.

Therein lies the rub. You don't find it fun, so nobody else should either. That's what is unbelievable.

CaptOveur

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:51 am

Tracers after dark are pretty cool too BTW.

flyCMH

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:29 am

Quote:
Columbus needs to realize they passed a pretty moronic law that will do nothing to curb gun violence.

Every other major city in Ohio has passed a bill banning assault weapons, including Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo.

Quote:
If I owned a buisness in CMH I would be pretty pissed.. All those empty hotel rooms that could have been filled, and empty seats at restaraunts...

The NRA had full knowledge that such a bill was in the process of being passed in the City of Columbus. This is nothing more than an example of how an organization can act like a spoiled brat.

Quote:

See above comments. Just because the NRA has decided to throw a hissy-fit because they didn't sway public policy, Columbus has become the bad guy. The NRA knew city counsil had the bill going through, what did they expect, especially when every other city in the state has passed a similar bill.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:42 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 43):
You asked a question. I gave an honest answer

That's fine, but from my way of seeing things, it's pretty lame. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Work Right, Fly Hard

B744F

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:28 pm

I would just like to point out, nowhere in the Constitution can you find anything about a regular citizen having the right to own a gun. Once people grow out of this obsession with power we can start building a better country.

B744F

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
My only post in this thread because of the usual Anti-Gun Flamewar that's about to begin . . .especially since I see BN747 is posting again . . .

I guess you're talking about me, get my name right at least. When did I stop?

L-188

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting B744F (Reply 47):
would just like to point out, nowhere in the Constitution can you find anything about a regular citizen having the right to own a gun.

Wrong document, check your bill or rights....