mirrodie

Tomorrow's Politicians, Leaders,...on Anet..today!

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:14 pm

Just an observation.

It's scary to think what leaders and politicos might evolve, considering the banter I've read here on politics.

Just a thought I wanted to share this morning.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

TedTAce

RE: Tomorrow's Politicians, Leaders,...on Anet..today!

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:25 pm

Sign me up, just call me "Che"  Yeah sure
This space intentionally left blank

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 am

I wouldn't worry, Mirrodie. We're all a bunch of geeks who'd rather type on the computer than get off our asses and actually DO something.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

bezoar

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 am

Many folks here make claims they can't back up, criticize without proposing alternatives, and are quite self-centered. Seems to me like future politicians!
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

tristarenvy

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:10 am

When I drop my two daughter off at elementary school, I always think to myself as the kids run by, "There's the folks who will run the country, be the doctors and mechanics of the future, and look after me when I'm old".

And I get really worried.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

FlyingTexan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 2):
I wouldn't worry, Mirrodie. We're all a bunch of geeks who'd rather type on the computer than get off our asses and actually DO something.

rotfl 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Superfly

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:20 am

Vote for me! Big grin

Others I'd like to see in politics:
Jaysit
BN747
Logan22L
An-225
FlyinTexan
Bring back the Concorde

stlgph

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 am

taking note of this, when i was a senior in high school, i suggested our prom theme was "Children of the Damned" or "Let's Pretend We All Have Bright Futures!"

it bothers me to know someday that as part of a newsteam, my picture will be on buses, billboards, mall kiosks, and in many bedrooms across a metro area.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PSA53

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:44 am

I'm announcing that I'm a Democratic canidate for President
of the United States .....Oh,S**T....I need to change reply
16 about the gays, and I promise to....Damn it,did I say that in
reply 29 about NAACP.

As your Republican President....F**K...
did I really say that about Bush....nevermind. Just forget it.

[Edited 2005-07-19 23:47:50]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

ilikeyyc

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Thread starter):
It's scary to think what leaders and politicos might evolve, considering the banter I've read here on politics.

Several years ago I was involved in ERAU's Model UN Club. We traveled twice a year to conferences where we, along with 100+ other schools, pretended to represent a country in a simulation of several of the UN's bodies. For us, this was just a club function and our goal was to learn and have fun. But for many other students, this was what they wanted to do in life, these were the people that will be running or representing our country in some way. Some were good at what they did, but most did not have a freaking clue about how the world really works. I only hope the later are weeded out before they reach some position of power.

For me, I honestly wouldn't mind becoming a representative of some form in government (just don't call me a "politician" because I don't like that word and I have no intention of conforming to the stereotype.)

peace
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

baylorairbear

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:35 am

I'm already in politics. I have a B.A. in political science. I was re-elected precinct party chair in November. I also served as a county and state delegate. Maybe I will make national delegate next time around. That being said, what a bunch of bullshit. I could not work exclusively in politics. Nothing more to add.

BaylorAirBear
I'm just skipping stones...

Superfly

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:38 am

BaylorAirBear:
I have family that are/were delegates and active in the Democratic Party in Illinois and Tennessee. Were you able to attend any of the conventions?
You should run for governor of Texas.
Oh wait, you might be over-qualified already. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

baylorairbear

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):

I have thought about it, but that isn't for me.

Oh wait, you might be over-qualified already.

Unfortunately, I humbly agree.  Wink

Were you able to attend any of the conventions?

I went to all of the local and state conventions. I've never gone to a national though. People, in Texas at least, have no idea how easy it is to have a political voice. To become a county delegate, all you have to do is show up at city hall after the polls close, and take some friends from your district too. They will help you later. There is a limit to the number of delegates, but nobody shows up anyway. Then, to become a state delegate, you go to the county convention, and one of your friends(that I mentioned before) nominates you. Then, your other friends, I mean delegates, vote for you and you are now a state delegate. Once you get to the state level though, you really have to start politic-ing to be elected a national delegate.

BaylorAirBear
I'm just skipping stones...

FlyingTexan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 10):
I'm already in politics. I have a B.A. in political science. I was re-elected precinct party chair in November. I also served as a county and state delegate.

Mimics my resume.

When I got out of school, I landed a job [I’d like to think by accident] with a top Republican Spin Doctor in DC. I worked on hundreds of campaigns, at all levels. I moved up the food chain quickly, becoming a key member of the organization. I left after 6 years because I couldn’t deal with one important client’s radical ideologies and what levels he would stoop to for political gain. I worked for some very unethical crooks. And sadly, they have tons of power.

But those six years were one heck of an experience in modern American politics and I loved every waking second of it.

spin 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

TedTAce

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 2):
I wouldn't worry, Mirrodie. We're all a bunch of geeks who'd rather type on the computer than get off our asses and actually DO something.

There's an expression that "The truth hurts" I think you just kicked every guy on A.net in the nads.... twice... with that statment... Brutal.

I would love to find an independent candidate I could get behind. I would love to point at the years of lies, cheating, and decipt on both sides of the isle and convince the American public that there was someone who'd make a GENUINE diference. I would love to find that candidate and do GREAT work for him or her.

As for my own political aspirations, I have as much a chance of getting elected into federal office as Pee Wee Herman or Michael Jackson do being put in charge of a day care. I have too many skeletons, and too many lies in my past. I'll gladly work behind the scenes to do what is genuinely the best thing for this country in getting rid of the two parties as they stand.
This space intentionally left blank

B744F

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 14):
I'll gladly work behind the scenes to do what is genuinely the best thing for this country in getting rid of the two parties as they stand.

I second that motion

sw733

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:57 am

Well, my goal is to be a diplomat, working in embassies and what not, so my political views wont impact what I do all that much, but I still get to be, I believe, a politician.

However, I totally agree with you. Most politics threads here on A.net I wont even bother reading, because the people arguing both sides anger me too much. Therefore, I don't want to get into any of it and I just stay clear. Therefore, nobody knows my real views here  crossfingers 

FlyingTexan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:08 am

That’s what Kinky is for.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

And Superfly, he has a business that bottles olive oil!

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:32 am

His Serene Revered Imperial Majesty - Emperor Qantasforever.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:39 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 18):
His Serene Revered Imperial Majesty - Emperor Qantasforever.

Booo !! A bas QFF ! Vive JGPH1A, Divine Autocrat and Ruler of the Universe.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:42 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):
Divine Autocrat and Ruler of the Universe.

Hmmm - however you are clearly ruling it from a different planet to the one the rest of us are on Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

KROC

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:42 pm

Congressman B757300. That will be the first and ONLY time I think of that possible debacle.

Banco

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:50 pm

Vive JGPH1A, Divine Autocrat and Ruler of the Universe

Well that explains why it's such a bloody mess anyway....
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:53 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
Hmmm - however you are clearly ruling it from a different planet to the one the rest of us are on

Right - you'll be first up against the wall, come the revolution !

Quoting Banco (Reply 22):
Well that explains why it's such a bloody mess anyway....

You'll be second.

I'm a law-and-order candidate. "Tough on Dissent, Tough on the Causes of Dissent".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 23):
Right - you'll be first up against the wall, come the revolution !

Well I could come up with some reference to "Let them eat cake", but you'd like that JGP (and you'd eat ALL the cake) Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Booo !! A bas QFF ! Vive JGPH1A, Divine Autocrat and Ruler of the Universe.

Screw that, I have a foolproof plan all mapped out.

I'll wear silly hats, be the leader of a number of nations, only make one speech a year, appear fragile so as not to ever be attacked, not publicly express political opinions, to be so aloof of government decisions as to appear retarded, and finally to be so rich as to not even care if I'm doing my job properly.

I learned from the master.

QFF

Banco

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 23):
You'll be second.

Er. Can I just clarify something here? Which way will we be facing?  Wow!
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 25):
not publicly express political opinions,

Crikey. That'll be a novel experience for you then  Wink

VH-KCT*

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:18 pm

QFF, I like your thinking - perhaps some further advice to advance your career, courtesy of Sir Humphrey...

It is axiomatic in government that hornets' nests should be left unstirred, cans of worms should remain unopened, and cats should be left firmly in bags and not set among pigeons. Ministers should also leave boats unrocked, nettles ungrasped, refrain from taking bulls by the horns, and resolutely turn their backs to the music.
I am The Stig

QANTASforever

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 27):
Crikey. That'll be a novel experience for you then

All in the name of duty, my Commonwealth Realm cousin.

QFF

JGPH1A

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 26):
Er. Can I just clarify something here? Which way will we be facing?

Oh please - don't flatter yourself. Not that it matters, the ravening wolves won't care either way.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 25):
I'll wear silly hats, be the leader of a number of nations, only make one speech a year, appear fragile so as not to ever be attacked, not publicly express political opinions, to be so aloof of government decisions as to appear retarded, and finally to be so rich as to not even care if I'm doing my job properly.

Can I be the accompanying foul tempered old bigot with a host of former Nazi relations buried in my past, who causes grave offence wherever I go but am nonetheless completely immune to all criticism ? I know Banco would be type-cast in the role, but I'd like to audition.