ZRH
Topic Author

Discuss Potter VI - Don't Read If Not Yet Finished

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:36 am

Now after Dumbledore has died (murdered by Snape), it is not sure if Hogwarts will open for the new school year and Harry told that he will not return to school whatever will happen, what do you think Harry will do? Will he although return to school, or will he look elsewhere for the remaining Horacrux's from Voldemort? Where will he live, if not at Hogwarts? Where will he go? Will he continue his romance with Ginny although he wants to protect her by telling her that they have to give up their relation? Will the school reopen? With McGonagall as headmistress (if yes who will be new head of Gryffindor)? Slughorn as new head of Slytherin? etc.?

trekster

RE: Discuss Potter VI - Don't Read If Not Yet Finished

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:48 am

Great book. Started Monday, finished Wednesday.

Was shocked who the HB Prince was. Did not see that one coming at all.

Great ending.

Have no idea how they can end the last book  Sad

Hopefully Hogwarts stays open with good old McGonagall in charge.

He who must not be named will find HP but i dont know if they will kill him off,
or it ends in a battle only ended in the film

(THIS BOOK WILL MAKE A FAB FAB FILM. Cant wait to see the battle scene in the school)
Where does the time go???

ZRH
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 1):
Was shocked who the HB Prince was

Me too. It was also interesting to see that Harry was always right about Snape (from the first year on) and not Dumbledore. This was his biggest error which led to his murder.

[Edited 2005-07-20 21:18:57]

skidmarks

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:20 am

What makes it even better was finding the book in Tesco at £7.97 and WH Smith were selling it at £11.99.

Seriously(?), I reckon young Potter will return to school after spending the hols screwing the arse off Ginny and give "he who cannot be named" a serious seeing to. Revenge for Dumbledore, his parents and anyone else that nasty man has killed.

Bloody good read, even without any sex or drugs etc. Bring on the next one!!!!!

Andy  old  in body, not in mind!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ZRH
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 3):
I reckon young Potter will return to school

I also think that he will return to school. First he also said he won't go to the Burrow anymore because he does not want to bring the family Weasley into danger. But he has to go there because of Bill's and Fleur's wedding.

casinterest

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:28 am

Here's what gets me.....
He freezes harry in place instead of disarming Malfoy who he knows is coming... Spends all his time talking Malfoy out of the kill. Snape shows up, and it is almost as if there was no attempt to stop it. I wonder if Snape is doing this because they need someone with enough skill close enough to Kill Voldemort, once Harry is destroyed....(He is the last horocrux)
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

flyAUA

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:32 am

Sheesh! What a weird book. Yesterday I knocked on my neighbours door and she was full in tears with red eyes and a really upset face. I was really worried to death about her (she looked like something really bad happened to somebody she knew). I went in and asked what's wrong and she told me that she finished reading Harry Potter that evening (she spent only 11 hours to finish it!!!), and that she was upset about the guy who dies.

Of course that was the point where I slapped her senseless and told her she scared the shit out of me. Gosh, I didn't know a fiction book could make you so sad. Anyways, I've never been a Harry Potter fan. But for those of you who are... enjoy  wave 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

ArmitageShanks

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 3):
What makes it even better was finding the book in Tesco at £7.97 and WH Smith were selling it at £11.99.

Wow, It's 35 bucks where I live. Crazy.

mhodgson

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:43 am

I have to admit, I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't return to Hogwarts - the school is what made the last books so much fun to read.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Fokker Lover

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:08 am

I don't see the school being a major player in the last book. I think it will be all action from beginning to end.

Dumbledore was so unselfish that he sacrificed himself so Malfoy could live.
When Hagrid overheard Dumbledore and Snape arguing, it was about DD making Snape promise to follow through with his murder. He knew Malfoy didn't have the guts to follow through. Thus he would have been killed by Voldemort as punishment.

Dumbledore also killed his own hand enabling him to make his own horcrux, in case he has to come back and help Harry. His horcrux will be his spectacles.
This is also very unselfish because anybody who uses a horcrux will live a cursed life. Ahem.....um, I mean that's at least what my kids told me. Yeah, that's the ticket.  cheeky 
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

pualani

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:57 am

Am I the only one who noticed that right before Snape killed Dumbledore that it sounded like he was begging Snape to do it. Albus Dumbledore is'nt dead and will play a major part in the next book.

Quoting Trekster (Reply 1):

(THIS BOOK WILL MAKE A FAB FAB FILM. Cant wait to see the battle scene in the school)

Agreed...this movie will be awesome.

pualani

Newark777

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:00 am

I'm sorry, I just read the thread starter without any previous knowledge of Harry Potter, and it is the funniest damn thing I have ever read. All those crazy names, Rowling must of been on an acid trip when she wrote these books.  rotfl 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting Pualani (Reply 10):
Am I the only one who noticed that right before Snape killed Dumbledore that it sounded like he was begging Snape to do it. Albus Dumbledore is'nt dead and will play a major part in the next book.

I noticed the begging. Do you think he only pretended his death to fight Voldemort more effectively?

SRQCrosscheck

RE: Discuss Potter VI - Don't Read If Not Yet Fini

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:01 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 12):
I noticed the begging. Do you think he only pretended his death to fight Voldemort more effectively?

I think you can attribute the begging to discovering Snape's treachery.

I've got a friend who likened Dumbledore's death to Obi-Wan's in Star Wars. In her words: "The mentor must die so the hero can come into his own." He's gone for good (besides, remember when Dumbledore says in the first book not to fear death?). Horray for archetypes!

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 5):
Harry is destroyed....(He is the last horocrux)

I don't think Harry could be a horcrux. When he was possessed by Voldemort in book V, Voldemort couldn't bear to possess him because Voldemort hates the love in Harry's heart (ugh, that sounds so cheesy, but there you have it, haha...). How could part of Voldemort's soul be swimming around in Harry?

[Edited 2005-07-25 02:04:43]

Ozair

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:25 am

.(He is the last horocrux)

I am intrigued by this thought, I have often thought the prophecy at the end of V was about niether being able to live if the other died as well so Harry must die to kill Voldermort.

What I wonder about is when the next book will be set. Rowling has always said she will only write seven and so I think she might skip a few years and a few Horocruxs and get to the last two and a final battle maybe set three years after VI. Harry obviously needs to sharpen up since if he can't even beat Snape how is he expected to beat Voldermort! Perhaps he needs some other mentor who will toughen him up, maybe the return of Mad Eye Moody or something.

Quoting Pualani (Reply 10):

I don't think he will come back per say, maybe a few guiding aids in a tough situation. I didn't like the way Dumbledore seemed to beg either, very out of character for someone who continually said he was not afraid of death.

ha763

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 13):
I don't think Harry could be a horcrux. When he was possessed by Voldemort in book V, Voldemort couldn't bear to possess him because Voldemort hates the love in Harry's heart (ugh, that sounds so cheesy, but there you have it, haha...). How could part of Voldemort's soul be swimming around in Harry?

I also feel the same. If Voldemort couldn't handle possesing Harry, I don't see how a part of his soul can handle being in Harry.

My feeling is that I think Harry will return to school, but not for his last year of education. I believe he will go back for guidence, not only from the teachers at Hogwarts, but also from Dumbledore. Remember, Dumbledore's portrait is now up on the wall in the Headmaster's office and can be conversered with. I also think that there is a good chance that a horcrux is concealed in Hogwarts.

I'm actually on my second reading of the book. It took me 2 days to read it, actually maybe about 16 total hours over 2 days the first time around. I really want to see how this story ends. For those interested, J.K. Rowling did an indepth interview with 2 fansite's webmasters about the Harry Potter series. You can see where the questions touch on things that are probably important since she outright says she can't comment.

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:14 am

All right, so who is D.A.B. then ?

I loved the book, although the ending was awful - kept thinking Dumbledore would leap up out of the tomb and say Haha fooled you - but he didn't. I spent all day Saturday reading it, bought it at 10am, finished it at 10pm, and was gutted when I got to the end.

All I can say is "Hurry up, Rowling, you idle cow ! Finish number 7, and there'd better be a REALLY happy ending to make up for all the depression caused by 5 and 6 !"

Dumbledore cannot possibly be dead - I reckon he's got a horocrux somewhere, and that Snape was working for Dumbledore the whole time. And Harry is the last horocrux. His scar is.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 13):
I think you can attribute the begging to discovering Snape's treachery.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 2):
Me too. It was also interesting to see that Harry was always right about Snape (from the first year on) and not Dumbledore. This was his biggest error which led to his murder.

Keep in mind that he was under an Unbreakable Vow and that had he not completed Malfoy's mission, Snape would have been killed. At this point that I believe Snape is still loyal and did not want to kill Dumbledore, hence Dumbledore begging Snape to do it in order to sacrifice himself for the greater good.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Mir

Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
All right, so who is D.A.B. then ?

DAB is the code for Daytona Beach airport in Florida. The main user of the Daytona Beach airport is Embry-Riddle University. The name Riddle is also the same as Voldemort's last name...

scratchchin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):

DAB is the code for Daytona Beach airport in Florida. The main user of the Daytona Beach airport is Embry-Riddle University. The name Riddle is also the same as Voldemort's last name...

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

ZRH
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):

Haha that's cool. But I am really wondering who DAB is?

Fokker Lover

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:19 am

Wasn't it RAB? Regulus Black. Former death eater and brother to Sirius Black.
They talk about him in book 5 while looking at the Black family tree.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

SRQCrosscheck

RE: Discuss Potter VI - Don't Read If Not Yet Fini

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 21):
Wasn't it RAB? Regulus Black. Former death eater and brother to Sirius Black.
They talk about him in book 5 while looking at the Black family tree.

In the scene in Order of the Phoenix where Black is mentioned on the tapestry of the House of Black, they come across an old locket that no one can open. Could this be the locket?

Oh, and have you seen the trailer for Goblet of Fire? HOLY CRAP THE HUNGARIAN HORNTAIL LOOKS SCARY!

[Edited 2005-07-26 03:33:25]

WorldVoyager

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 am

Dumbledore cannot have a horcrux, for if he had one it would mean that he has killed someone for it.

RAB might be Regulus Black. On page 108 of the Order of the Phoenix (Bloomsbury/Raincoast version) it says they found in the Black House "a heavy locket that none of them could open"...and we know the locket found in the cave in The Half Blood Prince is a fake. Except Regulus Black was a Death Eater, so it doesn't fully make sense just yet...

SRQCrosscheck

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting WorldVoyager (Reply 23):
On page 108 of the Order of the Phoenix (Bloomsbury/Raincoast version) it says they found in the Black House "a heavy locket that none of them could open"...and we know the locket found in the cave in The Half Blood Prince is a fake.

holla!

Fokker Lover

Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:10 am

Dumbledore cannot have a horcrux, for if he had one it would mean that he has killed someone for it.

He killed his own hand with the avada kedavra curse. That's how he will be able to do it without killing somone else. Dumbledore is extremely selfless. He will do whatever it takes to defeat Voldemort.

JGPH1A

Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:23 pm

Except Regulus Black was a Death Eater, so it doesn't fully make sense just yet...

Maybe he turned good after Sirius got killed. I seem to recall that he's dead though - maybe he's just pretending to be dead...

Come on Rowling - get a bloody move on. I'm not waiting 2 years for the next one !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ha763

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:50 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
Except Regulus Black was a Death Eater, so it doesn't fully make sense just yet...

Maybe he turned good after Sirius got killed. I seem to recall that he's dead though - maybe he's just pretending to be dead...

It was in the Order of the Phoenix, pg. 112 US paperback, Regulus was killed by Voldemort or another Death Eater fifteen years earlier due to wanting to back out of being a Death Eater. So it is possible that Regulus is R.A.B.

Airboeing

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:49 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
Come on Rowling - get a bloody move on. I'm not waiting 2 years for the next one !

I'm afraid you'll have to wait, she said she'll first spend some times with her human baby before working on her paper baby.
She had already put down some ideas, but the main work will wait a year or two, she also said.

Well, that let us time to read and re-read the 6 first books again Big grin

Anyway, I have a question, page 454 (Bloomsbury edition), Rowling makes Slughorn call Ron "Rupert". Is it a mistake from her ? Or is it just a wink to the actor, as we have seen Slughorn use a wrong name about Ron previously in the book ??? That intrigues me...
Some times my English is purely fonatiks...

ozguy

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 pm

Quoting Airboeing (Reply 28):
Anyway, I have a question, page 454 (Bloomsbury edition), Rowling makes Slughorn call Ron "Rupert". Is it a mistake from her ? Or is it just a wink to the actor, as we have seen Slughorn use a wrong name about Ron previously in the book ??? That intrigues me...

It's sad that I know this but she's had released an explaination for this. All she was trying to highlight is that slughorn isn't interested in Ron enough to learn his name or pretend he cares, just strengthening that whole "Ron feels like he's being left out" theme.

707CMF

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:04 pm

Just finished reading it yesterday night...

All I can say is WOW, much better than the previous two (never really liked GOF or OOTP).

I wondered all along where Snape's loyalties lie, and at the end, I was certain that Snape was still loyal to Voldemort. Heck, all he said to Bellatrix and Narcissa do make sense !

Then again, everyone was certain Black was a Death Eater before Pettigrew showed up. And the evidence against him was quite incriminating (though not as incriminating as the Avada used by Snape).

So did Dumbledore pleaded Snape to kill him ? Now you said that, I am puzzled. Yet, he did use an unforgivable curse. And the worst of the three !

Is Harry the last Horcruxe ? I frankly do not believe so. You know who intended to kill him, not to use him. However, I do believe the last Hocruxe might be in Harry's parents' home. Located in... Godric Hollows. Remember Voldemort had a liking to the founders' objects. If James Potter owned a property in Godric Hollows, it might just be he (and Harry) are descendants of Godric Gryffindor. Hence an object having belonged to GG could be in their house/manor, and Voldemort could have created the last Horcrux while killing James and Lilly. Just my digressing, though.

Okay, for the first time, I am already waiting for the next (and last) book !!!

On the side, I have watched the trailer of the next movie. Looks promising. I just hope they won't spend too much time on the Quiditch World Cup (that's what really killed the beginning of the book...). Although... Who the heck is that who plays Madame Maxime ? Then again... a British actress to portray a French woman... At least Fleur is played by a French actress !

Cheers,

a very nerdy 707

Andreas

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:08 pm

He is the last horocrux

Exactly my thoughts when I read it!!!

And I still believe that Snape is not the bad boy...and Dumbledore might just come back somehow...a few ressurections will take place in HP VII, I'm quite sure...and then there's this funny brother of Sirius Black...somehow he will be in hp VII, too.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

GVBIG

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:13 pm

And here was me thinking this book was for Children. Lots of Kids on the board I see  Wink
Booked it, Packed it, f*cked off!

ZRH
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 30):
Okay, for the first time, I am already waiting for the next (and last) book !!!

Does anybody know when HP VII is due?

pilot kaz

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:45 pm

What an ending Sad how could they kill off the wise old man!

The next book should be interesting, Will the trio return to hogwarts? There's no Harry potter without hogwarts is there Sad

Kaz
-

Andreas

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 33):
Does anybody know when HP VII is due?

Though I suspect Miss Rowling does have most of it in mind already I have to tell you this lazy broad hasn't even started yet...2006 she says...meaning 2008 probably. Hard to find the motivation to place one's ass on a chair and start working with all that cash rolling in.  Wink

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 34):
how could they kill off the wise old man!

Kaz, relax...he'll be back, in one way or another, I'm ready to bet on it! Didn't you find the circumstances of his death rather...strange?? And Snape...wasn't that just too convenient...just like Harry suspected from day 1 at Hogwarts??
I'm afraid though we'll have to wait a long time  Sad
I know it's only VfB but I like it!