jmc1975

Black Bumpers Only On US-spec Honda CR-V....why?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:47 am

As a car enthusiast and a very satisfied Honda customer, one thing about a certain Honda product has always bugged me. The 2002-2004 CR-Vs sold in the USA all have black bumpers, regardless of trim level. No color-keyed bumpers (front/rear fascias) were even offered. They look tacky and they break up the styling of what is an otherwise handsome vehicle. In my travels throughout Canada, Europe, South Africa and Japan, I have found Honda CR-Vs of the same era to "have" color-keyed bumpers. What gives? Why is the USA stuck with the ugly black bumpers? Anybody close to Honda or the auto industry in general, know why the USA has gotten the shaft and has been deprived of the nicer-looking CR-Vs for 3 years? On a sidenote, color-keyed bumpers are made available in 2005 on the EX model only, but they were widely available on the previous-generation 1997-2001 model.

N801NW

RE: Black Bumpers Only On US-spec Honda CR-V....why?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:03 am

Perhaps it is an eaiser or cheaper repair if there is a minor collision. Otherwise, it's just a product planning decision. Hyundai took the opposite tack. In the US on the new Tucson, color-keyed bumpers are standard on the base model and it's black for the two upper trim levels.

AmericanMD80

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:06 am

They are available on the CR-V SE. It's been that way for the past two model cycles. I think the CR-V is a great looking vehicle especially pre-2005 update.

U.S. line-up

SE w/ body colored bumpers

VTEC 4 EVER!

Joey
//americanmd80
do what you like . like what you do . life is good

asuflyer05

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:18 am

There's a few reasons:

1.) Lower ownership costs. Since its a plastic bumper, there's no need to repaint if it needs to be repaired or replaced

2.) It's meant to give it a more rugged appearance (alla Xterra). Whether you agree is a matter of opinion.

The SE model not only gets color keyed bumpers, but a color-keyed hard spare tire cover. The LX and EX use a black rubber cover.

The CRV is a pretty impressive package for the price. I sold a lot of them when I was in Arizona and even more now that I am in Jersey where the 4WD comes in handy.

Matt