ryanb741

Advice From Apple Mac Experts Sought

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:33 pm

Hi all

My Powerbook G4 has died; although the machine still chimes and boots up the display is corrupted and needs a new motherboard at the cost of too much money to be worth repairing.

So I went out and bought an Imac G5 at the weekend. I want to transfer files via firewire from the powerbook to the Imac, and this should be okay as the hard drive on the powerbook is fine.

Thing is, how do I get the hard drive on the powerbook to show up on my Imac? I know this can be done as I say the Apple Center do it.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Klaus

RE: Advice From Apple Mac Experts Sought

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear that... It could also be a problem with the hinge cable between the motherboard and the display... That´s a potentially problematic component in any laptop.

To transfer your data, you should follow the instructions here: Target Disk Mode

As far as I remember, you can have the MacOS X installer move your entire installation to the iMac automatically. That´s probably the easiest way.

ryanb741

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Thanks Klaus

BTW, unfortunately it is the graphics card which packed up, requiring a whole new motherboard. I think I'll sell the Powerbook on ebay now (obviously explaining the repairs that are required). Biggest bummer of all is that the machine packed up 5 days after my warranty expired  Sad

Still, the Imac G5 is loooovvvveeeelllllyyyyyy! Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Klaus

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:25 pm

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 2):
Biggest bummer of all is that the machine packed up 5 days after my warranty expired

And they didn´t agree to still cover it under manufacturing defect? Had you dropped it or otherwise contributed to the failure? I´ve had a defect shortly after the expiration of the warranty and they still accepted it...

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 2):
Still, the Imac G5 is loooovvvveeeelllllyyyyyy!

I bet! Have fun!  bigthumbsup 

Random personal recommendations (just ask Google):
- "Clutter" for automatic CD cover retrieval and -display
- "SizzlingKeys for iTunes" is the essential iTunes controller
- "Witch" - a cool Window sWitcher as the perfect supplement to Command-Tab
- "LittleSnitch" tells you all about anybody "phoning home" (or just out) and offers to filter all network accesses from applications or the system
- "MenuMeters" - if you want to stay on top of what your system is doing
- "TinkerTool" - uncover hidden system options
- "iTele" for digital TV

ryanb741

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:45 pm

Thanks.

I just love OS X Tiger - some of the widgets are pure genius Big grin

I even got my wife (who hated computing in my dark days using Windows) to really get into using the Mac- so much so that she went out and bought a really expensive Harman Kardon Soundsticks II speaker setup (which totally rocks by the way). She has her eye on a Powermac, but I think I'll wait and see what happens once the transition to Intel processors has taken place before making the plunge.

But to me, the Imac is the definition of what a home computer should be in terms of design and ease of use. I ask myself the question 'why has nobody thought of this before - a one piece integrated unit?' Oh right I forgot, Apple thought of it before with the IMac G4 Big grin

Klaus

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:00 am

Yeah, Jonathan Ive is a real design genius!  bigthumbsup 
It would still be only half as cool if the system in that pretty case sucked... which it doesn´t, fortunately. Big grin

UN_B732

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:07 pm

I agree, call Apple just in case they are nice and will help you.. Be insistent, better than losing a fe whunderd dollars cash.
What now?