Fokker Lover
Topic Author

Housing Comparisons

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:03 pm

I was just reading another thread where Superfly mentioned that a one bedroom apartment in SFO goes between $900 and $2500 per month.
After choking on my cookie and falling out of my chair, I started thinking about housing costs in other parts of the country. First I'd like to apologize to anyone who works for my airline and lives in SFO. I know that we make the same wages no matter what part of the country we are in. What is almost a decent wage here is poverty level out there. We should remember that if another contract ever comes around.

Ok, I have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 3100 sqr. ft. house with another 2000 sqr. feet of basement under it. The garage is a 24x36 detached with a full size 2nd floor above it. I have it set up as a 4 car garage. It's plopped in the middle of 10 acres of solid woods, with a pond. I paid 50k for the land and built the house myself. If I was to sell it today, I could realisticly get a hair more than 300k. If I decide to move from Ohio, and try another job in other parts of the country, what would my house cost me in Memphis, or somewhere in Texas? What about other parts of the country? I already see that I can't afford SFO.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

ren41

RE: Housing Comparisons

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting Fokker Lover (Thread starter):
Ok, I have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 3100 sqr. ft. house with another 2000 sqr. feet of basement under it. The garage is a 24x36 detached with a full size 2nd floor above it. I have it set up as a 4 car garage. It's plopped in the middle of 10 acres of solid woods, with a pond. I paid 50k for the land and built the house myself. If I was to sell it today, I could realisticly get a hair more than 300k

Stick that entire piece of land on the back of a truck haul it up to the Boston suburbs and you'll get yourself a few million bucks Wink

searpqx

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:14 pm

I have a 750 Sq. Ft. 2 bdrm 1.5 bath condo, not on or even across from the ocean, 2nd floor that I paid $205K for. I'm remodeling to the tune of of about $35K and I expect to sell it this winter for about $315K.

The average home price on Maui at the moment is $679K.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

saxdiva

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:19 pm

Well, if you're in my fair city, be prepared for about $2-2.5M.

And yes, I did mean millions. In the last five years, my house has appreciated to the point where I could be a crack dealer AND sell my body on the street (well, granted, they'd have to be into "curvy" chicks) in addition to my regular job and my consulting income, and I'd STILL be unable to buy it at today's prices.

This is good news for me if I want to retire early. It's bad, bad, BAD news for anyone who needs/wants to move here. The only people who seem to are either immigrant families with scads of money (and are willing to live with 10 adults in a 4-bedroom house), or people who are in the entertainment industry AND have jobs at the moment. In talking to my neighbors, that doesn't appear to be a "given" right now.

-Leanne

StevenUhl777

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm

I already see that I can't afford SFO

Absolutely! Trying to buy a "modest" home within 30 miles of the city is an impossible dream, not to mention that whatever you do make is tough to get by on. I used to live about 20 miles south of SFO, in both San Mateo and Belmont, in the 70's and through '84. No way I'd live there again (unless I won the lottery, and could afford something in Marin county).

Anyway...I live about 2 miles south of PAE. I have a two story townhome, about 1200 square feet, with a detached garage around the corner. I paid $140k in Nov. 2002, and then refinanced two years ago to a 15-year mortgage, fixed at 5.5%. Place is worth $185 now I think, not bad for a 2 1/2 year stint so far! Of course, Boeing is on the upswing again, and there's been a lot of new complexes going in, all will be going for at least $250k when they'r finished. My taxes are $1700 per year.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

diamond

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:32 pm

There are only 11 homes in my zip code. The average price is $2,332,000 which translates into $938 per square foot.

Welcome to coastal living in California.  Smile
Blank.

dtwclipper

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:37 pm

3200 Sq Ft, custom house in Northville, MI. (suburb of Detroit)

3 Bedrooms (was 4, but combined two for grandma, that's another thread altogether) 3 car Garage, Living room, Family room, office, library, formal Dining room, Eat in Kitchen, corian counters, Viking Appliances, butlers pantry, custom Laundry room, 3/4 acre wooded lot, and all this can be yours for

580,000!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

STT757

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:39 pm

I was just reading another thread where Superfly mentioned that a one bedroom apartment in SFO goes between $900 and $2500 per month.

That's cheap for Northern New Jersey.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757