cba

Bluetooth

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 am

As part of an upgrade to turn my laptop into a desktop, I've been shopping around for a good wireless keyboard addon. The Powerbook I'm using has built-in bluetooth capabilities, so I'd figure that this would increase my number of options for a good keyboard without having to use one of my precious USB ports (only have 2, 1 taken by a printer). I considered Apple's bluetooth keyboard, but at almost $70 its a ripoff (just like about any other addon directly from Apple). However, after searching several websites (Comp USA, macmall, newegg.com), I cannot find a bluetooth wireless keyboard. All of the available models are another type of wireless and require a USB infrared adapter. With the availability of bluetooth in so many machines, why are bluetooth wireless devices almost barely available?

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Bluetooth

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:34 am

There are native bluetooth third-party keyboards, like the Logitech diNovo media desktop. But that one is definitely more expensive than the Apple $70 keyboard, because AFAIK it can't be purchased as "keyboard only", but you need to get the entire kit (bluetooth receiver, keyboard, mediapad and mouse). And I don't know if it will work on a Powerbook.

I recommend that you get the Apple keyboard, especially for compatibility reasons. You don't want a keyboard where you don't have the Alt or Option key, or where it doesn't work as expected. I have the Apple one and didn't regret the purchase - even if the keys could be better.

Quoting Cba (Thread starter):
why are bluetooth wireless devices almost barely available?

Unfortunately I'm unable to answer that one.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

hawaiian717

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 1):
You don't want a keyboard where you don't have the Alt or Option key, or where it doesn't work as expected.

I assume you mean the Command/Apple or Option key, since Alt is a Windows key. If you use a Windows-oriented keyboard, the Alt key is the same as Option, and the Windows key is the same as Command/Apple. It works the other way around if you use an Apple or Mac-oriented third party keyboard on a Windows PC.

andz

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:21 pm

Just hope that this scenario never occurs LOL

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

airbus3801

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Why not just use the keyboard on the laptop, but just upgrade it all inside. Which PowerBook do you have. Also, if it is a G4, is it the newest revamp w/ tiger and the faster processors?