copaair737

USA Today Preseason College Football Poll Released

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:03 am

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

Not really surprised by the poll. I do think that OU is overrated, and I think that Fresno State should be in the top 25 (they're 26). I think Iowa should have been a little higher as well. But USC will fall to the FS Bulldogs in their November beating, so that kink should be worked out then.  Smile

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

USAFHummer

RE: USA Today Preseason College Football Poll Released

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:14 am

Can someone explain to me how Duke (!) got a vote? Their football program, quite frankly, sucks...perpetual losers...

My Buffs are 34th, it appears, which is about where I expected us to be, and we also had the most votes of any B12 North team, which is always a good thing...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

senorcarnival

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:20 am

How in the world can two numbskulls vote for Texas as #1? I bleed burnt orange, but Texas would get spanked like OU if they had to duke it out with USC today. I was pleasantly surprised that Texas was ranked #2, Vince Young allegedly learned how to pass more effectively in the spring, but he needs someone to throw the ball to, and with only 2 upperclassmen receivers the newbies better step up. Dare we say (for the 6th year) that this is the year OU goes down?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

TedTAce

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:33 am

As long as :

8. Miami (Fla.) 9-3 1,080 11
Stays ahead of
11. Florida
and
12. Florida State

It will be an EXCELLENT year Big grin
This space intentionally left blank

dl021

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:48 am

Georgia belongs higher on the list.

We'll see.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

cairo

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 2):
How in the world can two numbskulls vote for Texas as #1?

Presumably because it is a coaches poll and the UT coach gets a vote along with someone who benefits from possibly beating a high ranked UT, like the Baylor coach or A&M coach.

UT is always over rated and this always hurts them because they get too cocky. It's better to come up from the bottom than try to maintain the top.
I went to UT and I hate it. I'd rather be the preseason underdog than the favorite.

Cairo

srbmod

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:20 am

I bet Utah would be on the Top 25 if Urban Meyer was still there.........

Georgia @ #13, I'm surprised they were rated that high. Shockley is not exactly a proven QB, the only thing he proven is that it's going to be hard to fill David Greene's shoes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake Barnes getting a decent amount of playing time (Joe Tereshinski hasn't exactly gotten the #2 slot sewn up, and seems to be better suited to playing on special teams.), and would not be surprised if a situation like what vaulted David Greene into the starter's role over Quincy Carter several seasons back occurs. I'm concerned about the kicking game as well since the kicking game last season wasn't too great (Of course it's hard to come in and replace the best kicker in school history. Billy Bennett was even better than Kevin Butler, whose records Bennett broke.). I also hope that the off the field problems sort themselves out. Several players have been suspended for the opener for various off the field infractions. It at times has seemed as though the stuff that happens @ FSU came to Athens with Coach Richt.

I'm very surprised Georgia Tech got as many votes as they got. Tech needs to have a decent season or else risk becoming an also-ran in the conference. This in my opinion is Gailey's make or break season at the North Avenue Trade School. 7-5 isn't going to cut it, Tech needs to finish with at least 8 wins, a decent bowl game, and most importantly a win over UGA for this season to be successful. If Tech finishes with less wins than the past season, Gailey may be gone.

Falcon84

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:14 pm

Ah, talking about REAL Football!  bigthumbsup 

One of the first big matchups of the year is on Sept 10th, when the Longhorns travel to Columbus to take on the Buckeyes in the 'Shoe. That should be a helluva game, sports fans.

My beloved Falcons at #32 to start. Not bad for a MAC team. Two huge early road games for Bowling Green-at Wisconsin and at Boise State. I expect both to be excellent games. And, if they can win both-and they can-they'll be a top 20 team by week 4.

And with Matt Leinert and Reggie Bush, I don't see anyone taking the title from USC.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MD-90

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:31 pm

So, Falcon, did you actually go to Ohio State, or are you just a fan?

Falcon84

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:32 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 8):
So, Falcon, did you actually go to Ohio State, or are you just a fan?

Read my first reply, and you'll find out where I went to school. I am a lifelong fan of Buckeye football.
Work Right, Fly Hard

tbar220

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm not a fan of preseason polls. Teams should have to start from zero, and after six weeks that is when I think the first poll should come out.

And yes, this is coming from a USC fan.
NO URLS in signature

MD-90

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:34 pm

So you went to Bowling Green?

I'm not surprised that half of the SEC is in the top 25, but I'm not convinced about Alabama. Shula's still got a lot to prove. We lost to Maine last year and yet Alabama didn't beat us until the 4th quarter when we played them...

garnetpalmetto

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:14 am

South Carolina got 16 votes - I can deal with that, given the troubles the program has gone through this off-season.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
South Carolina got 16 votes - I can deal with that, given the troubles the program has gone through this off-season.

Will they be that good, GP? Or is that simply the "Spurrier factor"?  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

aa61hvy

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:48 am

Ah Miami is on top of the Bucks....

I am so excited about OSU vs. UT. OSU is gonna learn how those southern schools play ball. It'll be a good game UT will win, it will be a brutal, physical victory for them.
Go big or go home

garnetpalmetto

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Will they be that good, GP? Or is that simply the "Spurrier factor"?

This season I think it'll be the Spurrier Factor. I predict my Gamecocks will go either 5-6 or 6-5 (I waffle because I can see the Clemson game going either way). After this season, however, I see Carolina on the road to being good enough to hang with the cream of the SEC East - Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

jetblueatjfk

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:37 am

As long as th better team:
4. Michigan

is 5 ahead of
9. Ohio State

I am very happy

Buck ther Fuckeyes!

ANd as our tour director said at Michigan: And the library can borrow books from many other colleges to, even Ohio State, it's not like they know how to read or anything.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:42 am

Oh, great, another Daize and Blue supporter.

Maybe I should get the unofficial OSU version of Hail to The Victors out here and paste it here.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

jetblueatjfk

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:47 am

Moronic version for morons!!! Please post!  Silly  Silly

LOL
 airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

allstarflyer

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 7):
Ah, talking about REAL Football!

No kidding. Fans are so much more dedicated, I like the competition better (mainly when it's two ranked teams playing each other) rather than watching a bunch of NFL teams that can't develop cohesion due to free agents floating around everywhere (not to mention fans can hardly keep up with who's gone where) and the game hasn't been spoiled like the pros with all the glitz - the style overshadowing the substance.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
As long as :

8. Miami (Fla.) 9-3 1,080 11
Stays ahead of
11. Florida
and
12. Florida State

It will be an EXCELLENT year

I hear that. I've loved Miami ever since they beat the daylights out of OU back in the Orange Bowl in '87. I like Bowden, though, and, someday, if Texas can survive the Red River Shootout, maybe they'll at least get a shot at a national title under Mack, which would be cool to see. But they have to survive on the road at OSU first. Doesn't look promising for them. I have to research more to see who I feel has the best shot at the national title.

-R
Living the American Dream

Pope

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
Georgia belongs higher on the list

Not until they can demonstrate that they can consistently beat the Gators.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
South Carolina got 16 votes

The Gamecocks versus the Gators is going to be a hell of game this year. I wonder if the old ball coach will get choked up.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:41 pm

Good article on Bowling Green's sensational Junior QB, Omar Jacobs, in ESPN Magazine this month.  bigthumbsup  Click on the cover, and go to the article.

http://mag.espn.go.com/ActiveMagazin.../2005/08/15&bookcollection=ESPN_AM
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Falcon- I believe that BGSU is underrated, and will upset Boise State in their meeting this year on the smurf turf. Omar Jacobs is sensational, and I believe he is one of, if not the top QB in the nation. Also, I found it interesting that the Harmon Forecast has BGSU beating Wisconsin in the opening week. Time will tell I guess.
The poll should have had UTEP higher up (only 22 votes) and FS up higher than 26. We should at least be ranked ahead of Virginia, as we beat them at a neutral place, and they lost more starters than we did. BGSU should also be ranked.

-Copa

AC320

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:59 pm

#11 ain't too shabby, I assume that's the Meyer hype factor at work. I'm cautiously optimistic, there's a lot of talent packed into the Gator's lineup as always, but Meyer's public comments always fall short of being optimistic or positive. Of course putting his wonderful brain to work designing an offense around Chris Leak offers visions of championships. Saw some sparks at the Orange and Blue game that suggest the mediocrity of the Zook area is already long gone. Thankfully season tickets game through, so I'll be there painted orange and blue at the Swamp. Gonna be an exciting season.
fuddle duddle

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 22):
Also, I found it interesting that the Harmon Forecast has BGSU beating Wisconsin in the opening week.

I think BG certainly can beat both UW and BSU, but I don't think they will beat both, and could easily lose both. Two quality opponents on the road, that's a tough first two games. I'd settle for a split, to be honest, and ecstatic for a sweep.  Smile

If Jacobs has anywhere near the season he had last year, he'll be a Heisman candidate his senior season, I'm convinced. He won't be this year, unless his numbers are just off the board. But then again, 41 TD's and only 4 picks his first year is pretty off-the-board stuff.  Silly

Btw, next year, Wisconsin comes to Cleveland to play the Falcons at Cleveland Browns Stadium. I think it's technically a "home game" for Wisconsin, but there will be a lot more BG fans than UW fans, me included, I guarantee you.
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:05 pm

AC- I think the Gators are overrated, but thats just me. I also think that VT is pretty overrated as well. The Gators will contend for the SEC title, but I don't think they'll contend for the NC. It will all depend on if Urban Myth's gimmick offense can work in the SEC like it did in the MWC. If it doesn't, it could be a long season.

-Copa

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
I am so excited about OSU vs. UT. OSU is gonna learn how those southern schools play ball. It'll be a good game UT will win, it will be a brutal, physical victory for them.

Be careful! The lesson that Ohio State learns could be the same one with the last "southern school" they played. As I glance up at the memorabilia here in my Buckeye-clad basement office, I see that... oh yes... Ohio State beat the defending national champions to claim the title for themselves. That was a very good lesson: that southern football teams who think we are slow find out that we're just as fast as they are. And in the case of Texas, *much* better coached. We have a saying for Mack Brown here in Buckeye-land: Nobody does less with more. He's a regular John Cooper.

You just keep thinking we're slow. Ask Oklahoma State how slow we are. You just keep thinking we're not going to be physical enough.

Texas is a *formidable* opponent. But I'm taking the Bucks in this year's game. We return a mountain of people on both sides of the ball, our front seven promise to be phenomenal, and the 'Shoe is the greatest shrine in all of college football for a reason. (Okay, okay. I'm a biased alum.)

A night game, early in the season, in Columbus. That combination has not been friendly to any opponent. I am, however, a bit worried about the kicking game. Losing Mike Nugent hurts. And the spring game did nothing to allay my fears. You give a team like Texas field position, and they'll murder you with it, on the road or not.

I wouldn't use the Rose Bowl as a barometer, either. The Wolverweenies seem to lose Rose Bowls like the Russian navy loses submarines. By the last two games of the season, we were a much better team than they were.

I'm planning on spending between $250 and $500 for a seat to that game. The last home game I missed was Penn State 1995, and I'm not starting with this pre-conference dandy!

GO BUCKS!!! (Michigan sucks!)

[Edited 2005-08-07 07:13:32]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 26):
I'm planning on spending between $250 and $500 for a seat to that game.

Wanna buy me one, dude?  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 16):
As long as th better team:
4. Michigan

is 5 ahead of
9. Ohio State

I am very happy

Buck ther Fuckeyes!

Ah yes. You can start ahead of us, like you do every year. Just as long as the number next to the Maize and Blow's name on the scoreboard is smaller than ours when the clock in the Big Dump reads 0:00 on November 19. Good old 9-3 Lloyd. You can always count on him to lose *another* Rose Bowl.

Muck Fichigan! (Gawd! Is it football season yet?)
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:11 pm

BTW, are there any Texas fans coming to my fair city for that game? We have a rockin' good tailgate and you would be more than welcome.

Grill, beer, and even DirecTV. I mean, you watch football before you go watch football, and then when you're done you watch more football! DUH!

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 29):
BTW, are there any Texas fans coming to my fair city for that game? We have a rockin' good tailgate and you would be more than welcome.

You've got a Buckeye fan two hours away..if someone would like to donate that ticket.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
Wanna buy me one, dude?

I'm doing well, but not THAT well... Man, I can hardly wait. Everybody on this board loves aviation. I love to fly. But compared to Buckeye football, it might as well be cleaning the bathroom.

My present client is in Atlanta. There I met a guy who's an Alabama fan. He's coming with me to Columbus for the San Diego State game. Alabama is BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL, but he knows about Columbus on gameday, and can hardly wait to see it.

My wife will give birth within the next nine days. Otherwise, he and I would be using Ohio State's bye week to see Florida and Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Man, would I LOVE that!!! But skipping the trip home to go watch football, when my wife is at home with an infant -- that's not a good decision.

BTW, Falcon84. Are you a Browns fan? This Bengals fan thinks 15 years of malaise will be reversed and the team from the southern part of the state is going to have more success than the northern!

[Edited 2005-08-07 07:19:50]

[Edited 2005-08-07 07:22:54]

Falcon84

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 31):
I'm doing well, but not THAT well...

If you were talking maybe $100, I might be able to beg with my wife to let me go, and scrounge up the case, but $250 to $500? I'm 'po folk, man. Damn, that sucks the big one.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 32):
If you were talking maybe $100, I might be able to beg with my wife to let me go, and scrounge up the case, but $250 to $500? I'm 'po folk, man. Damn, that sucks the big one.

I know, especially with your pay cuts. Being po' folk is the reason I missed Penn State 1995. It was #3 against #5 that day, and tickets outside the 'Shoe were $350 and up. I simply did not have the money. I watched it at home after trying to buy a ticket.

S12PPL

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:14 pm

As usual the REAL OSU, Oregon State, gets no recognition. They will be a darkhorse team, mark my words.

GO BEAVS!!!!!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

USAFHummer

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 34):
As usual the REAL OSU, Oregon State,

HAHA!!! You are funny man, really...no, I mean it, you are funny!!!

Signed,
Ohio State fans

legend500

RE: USA Today Preseason College Football Poll Rele

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:38 pm

some thoughts -

Texas: Sure. #2 now. Let us not forget ye old algebra, however: October + Dallas + Cotton Bowl = Choke + Oklahoma.

Tennessee: Dark horse no longer dark. Owns SEC.

LSU: Loses to North Texas in season opener. Also loses to Tenn, otherwise good.

Georgia: With both Tenn and LSU on here, why bother?

Louisville: Who?

Auburn: See Georgia

A&M: They play Tech. And lose to TX. Ouch.

Tech: Underrated..

garnetpalmetto

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:01 pm

BTW, Falcon84. Are you a Browns fan? This Bengals fan thinks 15 years of malaise will be reversed and the team from the southern part of the state is going to have more success than the northern!

Maybe so, but both teams will, once again, be the property of that team that plays in Western PA, formerly at the confluence of Monongahela and Allegheney Rivers

At any rate, my take on how the SEC and ACC (since I'm going to be going to NC State in the fall to start my Masters, might as well start paying attention to ACC football)

SEC

East
1. Florida (9-2 (6-2 in conference))
2. Georgia (8-3 (6-2 in conference))
3. Tennessee (9-2 (6-2 in conference))
4. South Carolina (5-6/6-5 (3-5 in conference))
5. Kentucky (2-9 (1-7 in conference))
6. Vanderbilt (3-8 (1-7 in conference))

West
1. LSU (10-1 (7-1 in conference))
2. Auburn (9-2 (6-2 in conference))
3. Alabama (8-3 (5-3 in conference))
4. Arkansas (6-5 (4-4 in conference))
5. Ole Miss (6-5 (3-5 in conference))
6. Mississippi State (2-9 (0-8 in conference))

ACC

Atlantic
1. Florida State (8-3 (6-2 in conference))
2. Boston College (8-3 (5-3 in conference))
3. Clemson (6-5 (3-5 in conference))
4. Maryland (6-5 (3-5 in conference))
5. NC State (6-5 (3-5 in conference))
6. Wake Forest (5-6 (3-5 in conference))

Coastal
1. Miami (10-1 (7-1 in conference))
2. Virginia Tech (9-2 (6-2 in conference))
3. Georgia Tech (7-4 (5-3 in conference))
4. Virginia (7-4 (4-4 in conference))
5. North Carolina (3-8 (3-5 in conference))
6. Duke (3-8 (0-8 in conference))

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:35 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 37):
Maybe so, but both teams will, once again, be the property of that team that plays in Western PA, formerly at the confluence of Monongahela and Allegheney Rivers

Sadly, I see nothing that can force disagreement from me. I don't *want* it to be true, and I suppose it *might* not be true, but it probably will be. With the exception of the Clowns, who right now might be the worst franchise top-to-bottom in the NFL, the AFC north promises to be tough. Baltimore is healthy, Jamal Lewis won't be suspended, and I think Kyle Boller has what it takes to be an effective pro quarterback.

The question in Cincinnati is the defense, though I hope Chuck Bresnahan helps a lot. The offense will score on Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and everybody else. If Palmer and Co. stay healthy, they'll put points on the board. But the defense is so young. And David Pollack needs to get his backside into camp. I was *delighted* with the Bengals first two picks, both from Georgia. I hope the front seven can be a bit stouter than the last few years. I'm still worried about the secondary.

Falcon84

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:36 am

Lifelong Browns fan, my friend. And I do think the Browns are in for another sparse win year, but I think they have finally hired some competent people at the coaching positions, and in talent evaluation, that you'll start to see marked improvement-but not till next year. They've added some good pieces-guys like Joe Andruzzi, Cosey Coleman, Reuben Droughns, Gary Baxter, Brian Russell, but they're still very thin, and very young. 6 Wins should get Crennell coach of the year.  Big grin

OK, back to the college game.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:35 am

OK, back to the college game. I'll weigh in on the Big Ten this year.

As usual, scUM tops the preseason polls, and as usual, is vastly overrated. Ohio State is also overrated. In fact, in the '90's, scUM and Penn State were consistently overrated in the preseason polls. For a time, PSU was *the* most overrated school in the nation based on where they started, and where they finished.

Ohio State, for a time in that same period, was consistently underrated, a tribute to their coach's ability to win a lot of games, but not at the end of the season. We always did better than expected, but never quite got the big title.

This may sound like tOSU bias, and I don't mean it to be. But I cannot understand the media's love with scUM. Coach Carr has a split national title in 1997, and it was a great feat to run the table that year, as it is in any year. But beyond that, he has shown an inability to extract his team's full potential. And since 2001, he's only beaten the archrival once.

So, what is the true state of the Big Ten?

-- Iowa. Kirk Ferentz has returned Iowa to prominence. They were untouchable in Kinnick Stadium (I personally witnessed Iowa's total thrashing of my beloved Bucks last year). Still, their schedule is not favorable. They have to come to the 'Shoe. They're going to lose, I think. The 'Shoe will be a touch of kryptonite for Superman at QB

-- Wisconsin. Who's going to throw the ball? Who's going to catch it? Lots of questions up there. Still, Barry Alvarez has been *the* most successful coach in the conference by many important measures, in the past 10 years.

-- Northwestern. Lots of offense. No defense. Baaaad schedule. Down year for the Wildcats, even though they beat tOSU for the first time since 1971, and the first time in Evanston since 1955. Yup, I went to that game too.

-- Indiana. Yawn. Can't play football *or* basketball.

-- Illinois. Ron Zook was a huge pickup. Do I think it will matter? Not really. They'll join Indiana at the bottom.

-- Purdue. Love Joe Tiller. Still, they lost some great players. Bottom half of the conference.

-- Penn State. Again, who will throw the ball? Catch the ball? Run the ball? Is the defense ever going to live up to its athletic ability? My pick: mid-pack.

-- Michigan State. The kookiest coach in the conference. You can never tell what these guys will do, and I never take them seriously. Mid-pack.

-- Minnesota. Mid-pack. Never enough defense. Defense wins championships.

To me, the two best teams in the conference are... Ohio State and Meatchicken. If there's a third team in the mix, it's Iowa. The Achilles heel for tOSU this year is that they must travel to Meatchicken. It's always hard to win there, and unless tOSU shows themselves to be the much better game in 10 prior games, I won't pick the Bucks. Still, I know the Buckeye defense is going to be vicious, and I trust Tressel much more than Carr.

So... My picks:

(1) Ohio State. IF Ohio State beats Texas (a big if) and Iowa (lesser if), I think they run the table to Meatchicken. If they lose to Texas and beat Iowa, I think they lose to Michigan and are still conference co-champs.

(2) Michigan. I think they'll beat Notre Dame, but lose at Iowa. This could give them one loss going to The Game in Ann Arbor (she's a whore.)

(3) Iowa. Iowa *could* win the conference, with a victory in Columbus. I think they'll beat Michigan in Iowa. Beating both teams would assure them of a conference title.

4 - 11, in general order:

Wisconsin (doesn't play Ohio State this year, a game they often win)
Penn State
Purdue
Minnesota

Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana

[Edited 2005-08-07 18:36:46]

UAXDXer

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 36):
LSU: Loses to North Texas in season opener.

???? If this is true, Les Miles career at LSU will end with that loss.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

HOMER71

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:50 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 2):
How in the world can two numbskulls vote for Texas as #1?

Probably Mac Brown and his brother, Watson Brown (head coach at Alabama-Birmingham), which might explain how UAB got a top 25 vote...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

USAFHummer

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:12 am

Ok...here's my Big 12 take...

Big 12 North (a bit varied from most other North predictions)

1. Colorado
2. Iowa State
3. Kansas
4. Nebraska
5. Missouri
6. Kansas State

Big 12 South (The South is pretty straight forward this year, and can be grouped into three categories...(the top will be Texas and OU...the mid-packs will be TAMU, TTU, and OSU, and the cellar will be Baylor)....tough to predict exact finish but this is my guess..

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor

Greg

johnboy

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:06 am

Welll I'm not surprised at Louisville being included on the preseason poll because they ranked highly at the end of last year.

But I'd be less suspicious if they played a better caliber of team.

senorcarnival

RE: USA Today Preseason College Football Poll Rele

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:58 am

My Big 12:

South
1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Texas Tech
5. Baylor
6. Oklahoma State

North
1. Colorado
2. Nebraska
3. Iowa State
4. Kansas State
5. Missouri
6. Kansas
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

srbmod

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 40):

-- Penn State. Again, who will throw the ball? Catch the ball? Run the ball? Is the defense ever going to live up to its athletic ability? My pick: mid-pack.

And Papa Joe further sullies his legacy. He's way past his prime as a coach, and hasn't been able to put together a decent team since the mid 1990s (I followed Penn State football for a few years in the 90s back when Brett Conway was their kicker [I was in the same graduating class as him in high school, and he was the only football player from my Senior class that even had a college career].)

Skyway1

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:36 am

ContnlEliteCMH.....

Couldn't have said it better myself. My buddy is an OSU alum(I'm a Wright State alum....snooze) and we went to the OSU/Michigan game back in 2002. Gives me chills just sitting here thinking about it. Nothing like walking down the street at 8 in the morning and seeing people drinking on top of their porches. I scalped my ticket outside(paid $250 and still have the stub within a foot of where I'm typing). It was worth every damn penny too. My voice was gone by the end of the game. Like you said I love planes and automobiles but come Saturday afternoon they mean jackshit to me. OSU football all the way!

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Delta767300ER

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 am

I'm glad to see Miami ranked higher than UF or FSU. We open our season at FSU and I hope we kick the shit outta them! I also hope UF goes unranked!

Go Canes!!!!!

-Delta767300ER

USAFHummer

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:55 am

KROC, care to comment on Miami's #8 preseason ranking? I recall you saying from this thread http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/875747/

"Miami is in a rebuilding year and probably not going to contend for a National Title."

So, #8 is too high for them? What do you think they should be then?

Greg