canuckpaxguy

Few Americans Moved North After Bush Win

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:24 am

I can't believe that someone actually thought this was newsworthy.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...al/2005/08/05/no-exodus050805.html

G

CaptOveur

RE: Few Americans Moved North After Bush Win

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:27 am

That is pretty sad.. 14,466 actually put their money where their mouth was. I probably heard that many people claim they would move at my University alone.

Don't write checks your butt can't cash.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Falcon84

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:29 am

Hell, with all this outsourcing, and these cheap-ass jobs that are popping up in their place, no one can AFFORD to move.  stirthepot 
Work Right, Fly Hard

Logan22L

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 1):
Don't write checks your butt can't cash.

Some of us reacted out of anger, myself included. I don't want this country to go down the shitter, plus I have a good job here. Between the two, I opted to stay. It's not so easy to uproot and build a new life in another country when you've gotten to where I am (i.e., settled, good job, etc.).

I remember being 20 and idealistic. I adhere to it still, on occasion. However, I still need to learn every day. I still do. I decided I could do more good for the most people if I stayed. Plus, to be honest, it was more convenient for me.

Doesn't mean I don't have my ear to the ground, though.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

theCoz

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:36 am

You must prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants for at least six months after you arrive in Canada. That can be a lot of money.

Matt D

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:47 am

Many, if not most (with the possible exception of some Hollywierd actors and musicians) people who made these claims of fleeing the country don't even HAVE money to begin with, which is a core root reason (but not the only one) that so many of them hate Conservatives.

CaptOveur

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:50 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 5):
Many, if not most (with the possible exception of some Hollywierd actors and musicians) people who made these claims of fleeing the country

I would kind of like to know why we still have so many actors who got on their soapboxes and told us it would be the end of the world if we elected, then re-elected Bush. Why haven't they packed up and left? They certainly have the money.

Matt D

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:53 am

Because like most of Hollywierd, they were talking out of their asses and as usual, not thinking before they spoke; talking based on irrational emotion and not thought out reasoning.

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:56 am

I was really hoping most of Hollywood would move--and secretly hoping they'd take all pro sport players with them on an unrelated agenda of mine  Silly.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaptOveur

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:04 pm

I was kind of hoping if the actors left they would stop making such shitty movies.

Maybe they are punishing us by making horrible movies?

yyz717

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:34 pm

The "prediction" that Americans would flock north after a 2nd Bush win were made by the disaffected, liberal idle glitterati of Hollywood. Clearly, they are out of touch not just with life in general, but also with demographic trends.

All I can say is thank God that Alec Baldwin chose to remain in the US. Please keep him.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Logan22L

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:36 pm

And people say this site is dominated by the left.

Falcon84

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:38 pm

Too bad Alec didn't go north, just to screw up Yyz717's year.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Logan22L

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:49 pm

Quoting Matt D (Reply 7):
Because like most of Hollywierd, they were talking out of their asses and as usual, not thinking before they spoke; talking based on irrational emotion and not thought out reasoning.

So, only liberals do that?

Perhaps thinking about their devotion to Jesus and war, they think about themselves, just not about everyone. I am sick and tired of the agenda in this country. I did, indeed, profess my desire to "get outta Dodge" right after the 2004 election. Yes, I spoke impetuously, but my conviction remians the same:

We have a division. MattD: it's good to see you espousing responsibility in terms of automotive use. But you have a gas guzzler, that happens to be under your curb weight restriction. So it's OK to be wasteful, as long as your ride weighs less than your cut-off? Just curious.

stlgph

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 6):
Why haven't they packed up and left?

because they all have studio apartments in London or the new Hollywood....Sydney.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

cfalk

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:05 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 13):
So, only liberals do that?

Well, it is pretty obvious to anyone who is a) observant of the world around him, b) understands the rational laws of economics, and c) knows a bit about political and economic history that intelligent people will tend to be conservative.  Smile
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

aa777jr

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:09 pm

And people say this site is dominated by the left.

agreed.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

stlgph

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 15):
Well, it is pretty obvious to anyone who is a) observant of the world around him, b) understands the rational laws of economics, and c) knows a bit about political and economic history that intelligent people will tend to be conservative.

i'll keep that in mind next time i pass by a trailer park.

jaysit

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 10):
All I can say is thank God that Alec Baldwin chose to remain in the US. Please keep him.

But you guys gave us Celion Dijon.
That's not fair.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):

Touche !

[Edited 2005-08-08 15:37:24]
Atheism is Myth Understood.

TedTAce

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:30 pm

Beautiful..

For all those taking shots at actors who didn't move care to name any? I don't doubt you are right, I just want to see you back it up Big grin

I'll bet 14,000 is a LOT more then moved after any other election.

I would but, I'm too poor, and NZ is too far away for me right now. then again they got that flag thing going on so maybe not  Yeah sure
This space intentionally left blank

cfalk

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:15 pm

I don't live in the U.S. anymore, but all the trailer-trash I knew tended to be Democrats. I certainly don't see the kind of people who show up on Jerry Springer to be Republicans, and they are certainly the ultimate form of trailer trash.

BTW, do you Americans realize in how many foreign markets the Jerry Springer Show is shown in? Lots! This is what many international viewers thing "real Americans" are!!! I know enough about America that I know these people are on the margins of society, but most foreigners have not lived in the U.S.. It's no big surprise that so many people look down on Americans, when Jerry Springer is their reference.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ANCFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Good riddance - don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way north . . . but please, stop at the Yukon Territory - Alaska doesn't need anymore nut cases . . . .

Ridiculous - abandoning your country because of an election - making a fairly permanent change (moving to another country) rather than sticking it out for 4-8 years and having the gut to get involved and try to make changes. . .

Chicken Shit.

I agree tho - could have taken Whoopi, Martin Sheen and a few others out of Hollyweed . . . no one would miss them.

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2005-08-08 16:39:32]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jaysit

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 20):
I don't live in the U.S. anymore, but all the trailer-trash I knew tended to be Democrats.

Right.

NRA bumper stickers and confederate flags are the accoutrements your basic Democrat adorns his trailer park with.

I certainly don't see the kind of people who show up on Jerry Springer to be Republicans, and they are certainly the ultimate form of trailer trash.

Have you asked them what their political affiliations are?

Looks like you're watching the Jerry Springer show a whole lot given that you're so knowledgeable about the participants voting habits.

TedTAce

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:32 pm

This is what many international viewers thing "real Americans" are

I honestly don't think they are far from the truth.
This space intentionally left blank

soyuzavia

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
Good riddance - don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way north . . . but please, stop at the Yukon Territory - Alaska doesn't need anymore nut cases . . . .

You're right. L-188 and yourself have ensured that that base is covered already.

stlgph

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:41 am

I don't live in the U.S. anymore, but all the trailer-trash I knew tended to be Democrats.

you traveled extensively, i see.

I certainly don't see the kind of people who show up on Jerry Springer to be Republicans, and they are certainly the ultimate form of trailer trash.

and where are you ever getting this from?

It's no big surprise that so many people look down on Americans, when Jerry Springer is their reference.

and god bless Jerry Springer. i am glad his influence is reaching to new heights. Jerry Springer - The Musical was one of the most hilarious shows ever to hit the London stage. i bet people went for the entertainment value more than anything. i cannot wait the show to open on Broadway.

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 24):
You're right. L-188 and yourself have ensured that that base is covered already.

Why thank you . . . I do try . . .

But assure you . . . a rather quick review of my posts vs your posts will show who the true nut case happens to be Russophile. . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

soyuzavia

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
But assure you . . . a rather quick review of my posts vs your posts will show who the true nut case happens to be Russophile. . . .

You're right. You'd probably win that prize too. Two out of two. Pretty damned good if you ask me.

[Edited 2005-08-08 19:11:50]

SFOMEX

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:59 am

could have taken Whoopi, Martin Sheen and a few others out of Hollyweed

I second that!

I'll keep that in mind next time i pass by a trailer park.

Silly Yet, Liberals are not supposed to put down people based on their income/housing, am I right? That's what we, evil conservatives, do...

Anyway, it was a good one STLGph  biggrin 
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

jaysit

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:07 am

I agree tho - could have taken Whoopi, Martin Sheen and a few others out of Hollyweed . . . no one would miss them.

Really.

Who needs comedians and a guy who plays a President on TV when we have comedians and a guy who plays President on TV actually IN the White House.

Besides Sheen could never have done that "Mission Accomplished" jig as well as Dubya.

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 29):
Who needs comedians and a guy who plays a President on TV when we have comedians and a guy who plays President on TV actually IN the White House.

laughing  . . . pretty funny . . . credit where due!  rotfl 

Superfly

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:14 am

Well considering that thise last election was SO CLOSE, many including myself feel that there is stil some hope in the United States feel that it's still worth it to stay and put up a fight.
Had Bush won in a landslide as LBJ, FDR, Nixon & Ray-Gun, I think many more would have left.
Keep in mind, Canada has very strict immigration laws for people from the United States. We have runing water and plenty of food so there is no reason for Canada to extend liberal immigration laws to us. Canada has a fair immigration policy for those from poor nations.
Bring back the Concorde