Cory6188
Topic Author

Stores Closed On Sunday (Blue Laws)

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:50 pm

In Bergen County, NJ, where I live, county laws prohibit the sale of clothing, appliances, furniture, and furnishings on Sundays. Even so, all stores are closed on Sunday except for restaurants and the supermarket. For example, CompUSA is still closed even though it doesn't sell any of the aforementioned items. It's something that has existed for my whole life, and it's still a little weird to me when I go somewhere else in the country and things are actually open on a Sunday.

Is there anywhere else in the country that has such a law (or anything like it)? They're referred to as "blue laws" here, and my parents and I were wondering about that as we drove on Route 17 (the main retail highway in Bergen County) with every single store along the highway, as well as both Paramus malls, closed.

[Edited 2005-08-09 05:51:16]

57AZ

RE: Stores Closed On Sunday (Blue Laws)

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Yes. A lot of places in the South have them. When I lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee the liquor stores, supermarkets, bars, 24 hour stores and certain restaurants were required to close at midnight and would not reopen until noon on Sunday. It's not wierd per se, nor motivated by religion. Keeping the stores closed means that employers do not have to pay staff to run the store when it's likely to be lightly patronized.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

garnetpalmetto

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Thread starter):
Is there anywhere else in the country that has such a law (or anything like it)?

Yup, you see 'em all over South Carolina. No carry-out liquor sales (bars and restaurants still serve, however) and it varies from county to county, but most retail shops can't open up before a set time (usually 1:00 or 2:00) and only groceries can be sold. In stores that sold both (Wal-Mart for instance) the "merchandise" areas have to be blocked off (usually that entrance to the store would be closed and like police tape or ropes around that area) and sales of such items had to stop right at midnight or the store could face fines. Case in point - I was in line at a Wal-Mart one night. All I had were groceries, but the guy in front of me had some oil and some stuff to fix his boat. The clerk refused to ring any of that up. Personally I hate them and find them a major pain in the ass. The day SC gets rid of them, the better off they'll be.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Vulindlela

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 1):
It's not wierd per se, nor motivated by religion. Keeping the stores closed means that employers do not have to pay staff to run the store when it's likely to be lightly patronized.

I live in Georgia right now, and you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. Most stores are open though-it only applies to alcohol. I think it must be motivated by religion then, right? You can still drink in bars and restaurants on sunday here.

-kevin
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

dtwclipper

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:18 pm

Michigan still has vestiges of blue laws.

We can not purchase alcohol on Sundays until noon.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

ltbewr

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:44 pm

I also live in Bergen County, New Jersey where we have strong 'Blue Laws'. This is despite that it is one of the largest retail shopping places in the USA, with 2 large full service shopping malls and representives of almost all chain stores Macy's to Home Depot. Originally these laws were due to pressure from Christian religious/faith beliefs that 'Sunday is a day of rest'. Today the rule in Bergen County continues in part due to Christian belief pressure, but also to give people in the area a break from the very heavy traffic from the retail shopping. These laws also restrict most office or industrial work on Sundays as well.
Until the mid-1970's, all of New Jersey had restrictions on sales of goods except food, some hardware goods (for emergency home/business repairs), car parts. Even if a store sold t-shirts and food, they had to remove or close off that part of the store on Sundays. Until about 1977, one could not sell any retail alcoholic beverages for off site consumption on Sundays. Some towns still have the option to not sell alcohol on Sundays, or not allow the sale of hard liquor on Sundays. Many areas of the New England States, some scattered southern states, still restrict Sunday openings or sales of most consumer products and alcoholic beverages. Despite the secularization of Europe, most places except for some tourist areas, still have strong laws or customs not to allow retail sales similar to our blue laws.

MKEdude

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:22 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 2):
Personally I hate them and find them a major pain in the ass. The day SC gets rid of them, the better off they'll be

If the Christian Exodus people pull off what they are talking about you had better get used to them.

Here in Milwaukee we have a law that no alcohol can be sold after 9. This is not due to any blue laws, or public morality concerns but rather this is a law that was pushed through by the Tavern League. So if you want a drink after 9 you have to go to a bar. It's really a pain in the ass because every time you have a party you have to stop everything at 8:30 and calculate how much booze you have and if you will have enough for the rest of the night.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Logan22L

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 1):
Keeping the stores closed means that employers do not have to pay staff to run the store when it's likely to be lightly patronized.

Rubbish. Have you ever noticed that opening a store 9 - 5 means that no one who actually works a "typical" schedule will ever be there? I shop on Saturday and Sunday. The stores are packed here on Sundays.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

BAViscount

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:45 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
Despite the secularization of Europe, most places except for some tourist areas, still have strong laws or customs not to allow retail sales similar to our blue laws.

True - up until 1994 in England and Wales, major stores weren't allowed to open on a Sunday (although some did). Our Sunday trading laws now are such that shops are allowed to open for six hours on a Sunday, between the hours of 10am and 6pm, although shops below a certain size are exempt from this. Shops that are usually open 24 hours (large supermarkets etc.) open early on Monday morning and are open continuously throughout the week, but will then close at around 10pm on Saturday. They then re-open at 10 or 11am on Sunday for their six hour stint. There are still laws that prohibit the sale of alcohol outside of certain hours, although I'm not sure of the details.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 pm

St Louis had a no-alcohol sales restriction on Sundays when I moved down here in '88. A restaurant/bar could serve booze and sell 2% beer for carryout. That's since been repealed, but there is a cutoff time on Sunday night I think, 11pm maybe...I can't remember the last time I tried to buy beer on Sunday night so I may be off on that.

But most blue laws were religiously motivated...trying to keep that Sabbath holy or something discriminating like that.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

Sabena332

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 4):
Michigan still has vestiges of blue laws.

We can not purchase alcohol on Sundays until noon.

Isn't there a law in California that you can't buy alcohol after 3 AM?

I remember that I once arrived at SFO with the night flight from ATL, I was really looking forward to a few nice cans of Coors but I got dissapointed in the liquor store when the guy told me that he can't sell me alcohol after 3 AM.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AC_A340

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:01 pm

Sounds like Sunday mornings all through the upper midwest. Though most places are slowly becoming more progressive and allowing stores to be open on Sundays, or even Sunday mornings.

In my hometown of about 5000 people, the only grocersy store is closed all day on Sunday, but the government run liquor store is open. So I can't go but a 5 lb bag of potatoes for a family dinner, but I can have Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, and Jim Beam over for the day.

desertjets

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting AC_A340 (Reply 11):
In my hometown of about 5000 people, the only grocersy store is closed all day on Sunday, but the government run liquor store is open. So I can't go but a 5 lb bag of potatoes for a family dinner, but I can have Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, and Jim Beam over for the day.

Sounds like a town with its priorities straight....  sarcastic 

While Sundays are generally busy days for retail, before noon (at least IMHO) business is normally pretty slow. Come 1-3 pm it is very busy and drops off pretty quickly till close.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

cptkrell

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 pm

Dtw; I can remember when bars in Michigan had to cover up liquor on the shelves (not beer) with sheets ALL DAY Sunday indicating "no sales". Same on election day. Peanuts, popcorn (any salty snack) served gratus by the establishment to customers was also forbidden at any time.

In our county in TN, liquor stores are closed all day Sunday, but beer sales is OK. Ironically, bars without liquor licenses allow you to bring in your own bottle. The bar will sell you the ice or mix for a drink, but you must pour the drink yourself (the bartender is not allowed to touch the bottle and you must keep your bottle on the floor on your side of the bar). State's liquor control commissions regulations vary widely, too. In MI, all liquor sales, by the bottle, are governed at a set price by the commission, whereas here in TN I just purchased a fifth of scotch "on sale" for a few dollars off at the local store. Michigan also prohibits any illuminated or animated sign on or in premises advertising any alcoholic beverages. You gotta go out-state to see those neat illuminated, slowly spinning dioramas featuring the Budweiser Clydsdales!

Kinda goofy, but it goes back to state's rights or individual township/county rights. IIRC, one cannot buy any alcohol including beer in the Detroit area township of Oak Park. It is a totally dry city with no bars or restaraunts serving alcohol. Again, kinda goofy but again, individual communities' rights. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 10):
I was really looking forward to a few nice cans of Coors

spit {spit

And this from a man living in the Beer Capital of the Planet!!!

Patrick, maybe you should come to ANC and I'll give you beer lessons like I did KROC . .  rotfl 

. . .

As to the thread topic - it's all religious crap. These Blue Laws are much more prevelent in the south (and in Texas for whatever reason) than anywhere else. When I visit my Mother in Alabama, I find myself having to remember to hit the liquor store on Saturday. . . furthermore - I have to drive to a different county to do it. Yes, there are still "dry" counties in many places. We have many dry towns and villages in Alaska . . . but fortunately ANC is not in the Stone Ages in this light and one can eat, drink and be (or do) Mary 24/7 in Anchorage. Liquor stores are open 7 days a week, beginning at 11am and closing around 2am.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HotelEchoFox

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:52 pm

I too live in Bergen County, NJ and I LOVE the 'blue laws'. No one who lives around here can possibly deny the nightmare that is traffic on a typical Saturday (think Rt. 17 & Rt. 4). The fact that (almost) everything's closed on Sundays gives us a weekly break from that horror.

HEF

HotelEchoFox

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:08 am

Another bizarro NJ quirk: We're not allowed to pump our own gas! When I moved to JAX for school, I had no idea what I was doing! Is that common in other states?

HEF

N312RC

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:44 am

As dtwclipper said, in Michigan you cannot purchase liquor before noon on sunday. My father used to work for a major drugstore chain in Michigan and they had big long heavy chains that theyd run through the handles of the walkup coolers.. chain em shut with a padlock.

Michigan does, however, now offer carry-out liquor sales. If you order a bottle of wine with dinner at a restaurant and dont finish it, it can be resealed and you can take it home in a doggy bag.
N/A

wunala

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:47 am

In Oz we can have 24 hour tading, if we want.

MKEdude

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting AC_A340 (Reply 11):

Sounds like my kind of small town!  bigthumbsup 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

satx

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 1):
It's not wierd per se, nor motivated by religion.

It's both weird and largely motivated by the religious 'family values' crowd.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 1):
Keeping the stores closed means that employers do not have to pay staff to run the store when it's likely to be lightly patronized.

When I shop on Sunday I see far more customers than when I go in the middle of a weekday.

Quoting HotelEchoFox (Reply 16):
Another bizarro NJ quirk: We're not allowed to pump our own gas! Is that common in other states?

Nope, it's not common at all. I was asleep in a rental car once while a friend of mine was driving around and around. Eventually I woke up and asked where the hell he was going. He explained that he had been looking all over for a 'self service' gas pump. I busted out laughing and explained that his search wouldn't end until he left he state. NJ also has among the lowest fuel taxes in the nation IIRC.

Here in SAT, hard liquor is only sold in liquor stores (sometimes part of a larger parent building, like a Costco, but always a separate entry point) that all close by 9pm and all day on Sundays. You can buy beer and whine in a grocery store any day of the week, but carry-out liquor sales end around 11pm and last call in bars is 2AM.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

MKEdude

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:00 am

Another bizarro NJ quirk: We're not allowed to pump our own gas! When I moved to JAX for school, I had no idea what I was doing! Is that common in other states?

Oregon does it too. This goes back to the 60's and 70's when self-serve stations began popping up, laws were passed in several states that prevented people from pumping their own gas. The idea was to save the jobs of all those gas station attendants. Most states have done away with those laws...most states.

seb146

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 am

No sales on Sunday? That is just crazy! WTF? In Oregon and Washingon, most big-box stores and the malls usualy open about 10AM and close at 6PM just because there really is not much buisness after 6PM. Everyone is getting ready to start the work week. There are some stores, like Target and Fred Meyer that are open until 10PM or 11PM 7 days a week. Also, in Oregon and Washington, the state runs the liquor stores, so they do not sell hard alcohol on Sundays, but you can go to a bar and have mixed drinks or purchase beer and wine in a store until 2.30AM in Oregon and 2AM in Washington 7 days a week.

In Oregon, we do not have self-serve gas. Before Gov. Gregoire signed the gas tax increase in Washington, it was cheaper to drive across the river and pump it ourselves. Now, it is about the same price. We don't really have a problem with people not knowing how to pump their own gas. The joke in Oregon is everyone in Oregon moved here from somewhere else!

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Sabena332

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
And this from a man living in the Beer Capital of the Planet!!!

I think that Coors is a pretty good beer, I prefer it over Bud and Miller when I am in the States.

Patrick, maybe you should come to ANC and I'll give you beer lessons like I did KROC .

So you made Mike drunken? Big grin

I would really like to visit Alaska, maybe I can catch on of those special 99 EUR fares on Condor some day. Of course I will let you know when I will be there!

As for Bitburger, a damned good Pils, I really like to drink it.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

srbmod

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:41 am

I've never fully understood the logic of the no Sunday retail sales of alcohol here in Georgia. In a way, the state is advocating drinking and driving.

cptkrell

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:07 pm

Don't know about current Sunday sales in Georgia, but when I was in AIT at Fort Gordon (1968), there were drive-in bars in Atlanta. That's right; the waitress would roller skate out to your car with your beer-battered fish sandwich and a beer, or, just a few mugs of beer-battered beer if you were so inclined.

"Hey, waitress - send those two blondes over there in the silver Cougar Eliminator a couple of drinks." It actually worked a few times.  Smile

Talk about mixed messages...most "gas stations" around here are "convenience stores". Fill'er up and buy a twelve pack of tall-boys at the same time. Hmmmmm... Regards...jack
all best; jack

bhmbaglock

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:31 pm

When I visit my Mother in Alabama, I find myself having to remember to hit the liquor store on Saturday. . . furthermore - I have to drive to a different county to do it. Yes, there are still "dry" counties in many places.

Actually many counties allow Sunday sales - Use http://www.abcboard.state.al.us/Documents/WetDryCountyMap.pdf to plan side trips next time you visit Mom. Either that or find the local bootlegger. Don't laugh, they still exist and walk-ins full of beer are more common than moonshine. Some "dry" counties have astonishingly high alcohol consumption and like any other monopoly, if you have the supply you get rich.

Remember, state stores will always be closed on Sunday but private stores can be open if allowed in the county.

When I first moved to Alabama the blue laws were tough but they're pretty much gone now with the exception of dry counties. In the early 70's your only choice for a restaurant on Sundays was a Jewish deli called Browdy's. The law allowed them to open on Sundays due to the different Sabbath day. Really good solution to the problem unless you wanted Q.

The other odd blue law from way back when was miniature liquor bottles for on-premise consumption. This went away back in the mid to late 70's here but I believe SC still uses them. You had to break the seal and pour your own liquor.
Where are all of my respected members going?

garnetpalmetto

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting Bhmbaglock (Reply 26):
This went away back in the mid to late 70's here but I believe SC still uses them.

That JUST went away last November, but the Legislature hasn't set up regulations regarding free-pour yet so we're still using minibottles. Basically the way it works here is that a bartender can open the bottle himself but he must use the ENTIRE contents of the minibottle. As a result, liquor drinks are stronger in SC than anywhere else and some mixed drinks/shots are pretty much impossible to make. I know my girlfriend (who's originally from California) constantly complains about how bad cosmos are here in SC and when we're out, she always has to ask for extra cranberry juice to balance out the vodka.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ANCFlyer

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:58 pm

Either that or find the local bootlegger

Ha Ha . . .Gramps died about 15 years ago, but he did make some excellent hooch out there in Fayette County  biggrin .

Mom lives on the county line between Fayette and Tuscaloosa Counties, so a three mile drive to get some bottled entertainment is okay.

Don't laugh, they still exist and walk-ins full of beer are more common than moonshine.

OH, I know all too well . . . there are some people in my family circle that simply don't understand that I have no jurisdiction in Alabama . . .  rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ORFflyer

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:11 pm

Yes, there are still "dry" counties in many places.

Ironically, Lynchburg Tennessee is one of them. It's also home of the Jack Daniels distillery. Figure that out.  scratchchin   scratchchin   laughing   laughing 

Chip

bhmbaglock

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):
Mom lives on the county line between Fayette and Tuscaloosa Counties, so a three mile drive to get some bottled entertainment is okay.

Good thing she's close to the county line or you'd have to move her!

Next time you visit, give me a shout and we'll grab a driink or two. I'm usually less than 5 minutes from BHM.

If you haven't heard the big news from Fayette County this week, Devin Moore was convicted on three counts of capital murder - this is the guy who killed two police officers and a dispatcher in 2003. Expect him to get the ultimate sentence in a day or two.
Where are all of my respected members going?

mdsh00

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:20 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 10):
Isn't there a law in California that you can't buy alcohol after 3 AM?

It's 2AM. But that is every night. The reason it is there is to attempt to curb drunk driving and so forth.

I don't know of any Blue Laws in California, but I remember something in Nevada. I was at the Wynn Las Vegas and went to their Ferrari salesroom to see the cars. The're were velvet ropes put up FAR away from the cars, and when asked, the sales representative said that the State of Nevada doesn't allow car sales on Sunday. Odd, considering one can still gamble.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

BigOrange

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 31):
he State of Nevada doesn't allow car sales on Sunday

Neither does New Jersey

BCAInfoSys

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:57 am

Good news for all of you Washington-based alcoholics like me! The State of Washington is running a test with the top-20 liquor stores starting in Sept; opening them on Sunday to see if we the revenues pay off for them. And if it goes well, then all statewide stores will be open 7 days a week, effective January.

The liquor store employee I talked to yesterday said: "Do you really think they'll be able to get them closed again after they're open (on Sunday)? No way." She was actually kind of PO'd about it, as it was one less day off she gets per week.

Hooray for Washington finally waking up and smelling the green (money to be made)! Now we can finally get our liquor on Sundays.

Now if only we can get Utah to drop it's ridiculous 3.2% beer laws and "social club" laws on bars.. then I'd be a really happy man! Cheers!
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

FLAIRPORT

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:16 am

where I work we are open 7am-12am 7 days a week and believe me, from working opening and closing shifts, we sell alchohol from 7am-12am!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

LH423

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:46 pm

Wow, and I thought New England was bad.

For the most part all blue laws have been stricken in New England, however I know you still cannot buy alcohol on Sundays in Rhode Island or Connecticut. Until recently MA banned the sale of alcohol (all types) on Sunday. It was especially annoying if you had a monday holiday, meaning you'd have to get your Memorial Day beer, wine, and spirits on Saturday. Now MA allows the sale of alcohol on all days however it's up to the towns/cities if they want to allow Sunday sales and also all sales must end at 11pm (10pm in RI), regardless of the day.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PHLBOS

Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 35):
For the most part all blue laws have been stricken in New England

IIRC, the blue laws (except liquor sales) in Masschusetts ended during the mid '80s.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 35):
It was especially annoying if you had a monday holiday, meaning you'd have to get your Memorial Day beer, wine, and spirits on Saturday.

In the North Shore, people just drove up the the New Hampshire State Liquor Stores on Sundays.

[Edited 2005-08-12 22:24:09]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

melpax

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Where I work in Melbourne (Box Hill) was originally a 'dry area' from the late 1800s until recently - so it's one of the few areas in MEL with no pub! If we want a few cleansing ales after work, it's either the local RSL(closest thing to a bar) or else we have to drive to the next suburb!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

FDXmech

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:31 am

I love NJ no self service gas law. It's terrific. Why change it? What's to gain?

I like blue laws also. Though my county in NJ (Monmouth) no longer has them, looking back when I was a kid, it was a good old fashioned law. But now the buck comes first, I guess.
You're only as good as your last departure.

aa777flyer

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:43 am

The Blue Laws are stupid. It is all those damn Bible Thumpers trying to tell people how to live their lives. Screw the Bible! If you dont want to go out and buy a particular item on a Sunday because god told you not to - dont. For those of us who dont really give a rats ass about the Bible, let us go out and buy what we want!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

MAH4546

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:29 am

What stupid laws.

AFAIK, stores in South Florida don't have any of these restrictions. In fact, for many stores, Sunday just means regular closing hours. I know in many parts of the countries stores run, IIRC, 12PM-6PM on Sundays. Here, most businesses keep a 12PM-9PM/10PM operating hours on Sundays (as most stores close at 9.30PM, 10PM or 11PM on weekdays/Saturdays as opposed to 8PM/9PM), with the major exception being certain national chains (i.e. Best Buy). It's nice to know I can go to K-Mart at 11PM on a Sunday and it's still open (closes at midnight daily), even though I perfer Target. I live in Chicago half the year, and the operating hours of stores annoy the hell out of me. Stores close at 7 or 8PM!
a.

Lt-AWACS

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:45 am

Oklahoma- No tattoos (only state now), only 3.2% beer, no "hard core" porn as the call it, No liquor sales other than 3.2 beer at the supermarket, liquor stores must bag each item so it can't be seen, no more than two beverages bought by one person at a time in bars-the list goes on.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Friends don't let friends live in Oklahoma
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

FlyingTexan

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 41):
Oklahoma- No tattoos

eyepopping  Yea, tattoos – bad for families.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

FLAIRPORT

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
AFAIK, stores in South Florida don't have any of these restrictions. In fact, for many stores, Sunday just means regular closing hours.

That's correct. Over at my Winn Dixie we are open 7am-12am (most close at 11pm though)...I opened at 7am and had a beer sale at around 8am. I close on Tuesday as well.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

asuflyer05

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:24 am

I work in Bergen county and I certainly appreciate the Blue Laws because it gives me a day off during the week where no one from work bothers me!

Matt

LH423

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 am

One vestige of blue laws in MA is that only three stores in a chain can carry alcohol. For instance, out of our major supermarket chains (Stop and Shop, Shaws, Market Basket, Trader Joes, etc) only three out of all of their MA locations are authorized to sell alcohol.

Kinda of odd when you ask me. Why only three? I'll never understand.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ArmitageShanks

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:28 pm

Where I live in Tennessee, you can't buy liquor past 10 on any night and you can't buy any alcohol until from Midnight (not sure of the exact time) until 1-2 PM on Sundays.