carmenlu15

Spending Too Much Time On This Site?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:49 am

Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050809/...u=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Just substitute "computer games" for "A.net"... sounds familiar?  Wink
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Sabena332

RE: Spending Too Much Time On This Site?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:55 am

I better switch off my PC right now.  Wink

Seriously, not too long ago I saw a report about these computer gamers from South Korea. There are regulary "mass-gamings" and the winners of these sessions get famous as music stars. They get sponsor contracts from big software companies and they have their own fan clubs.

Crazy!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 am

A 28-year old kicks the bucket as a result of a heart attack? Any other problems than his 50 hour computer game?

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games

banghead 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

JeffSFO

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:40 am

Oddly enough, this isn't the first time someone has died as the result of exhaustion from gaming in South Korea. I remember reading about this a few years ago:

This guy died after gaming for 86 hours straight:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2499957.stm

Also, there was a stabbing death in China provoked by the virtual "theft" of a weapon used in an online game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4397159.stm

Some people need to get a life or they risk losing their own.  Yeah sure

-Jeff

carmenlu15

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 3):
this isn't the first time someone has died as the result of exhaustion from gaming in South Korea.

Really? And I thought this was an odd occurrence... Sheesh, this is just insane.  crazy 

But, since I meant this to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek...

Some people need to get a life

*cough* Who Else Got Really Nervous During A.net Outage? (by Birdwatching Jul 11 2005 in Site Related) *cough* Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

SAS_A330-300

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:43 am

A couple of months ago I read about two Chinese teenagers who collapsed on railroad after playing 24-hour strait. I've heard that Chinese authorities have put up restrictions on how many hours your are allowed to play every week.
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

texdravid

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:54 am

Dude, these Koreans/Chinese kids need to "de-geek" themselves stat!! This video-game playing has become an obsession.

As a side note, Desi kids (Indians) if they kick the bucket, will do so in a library or at home while cramming for SAT'S, MCAT'S, OR LSAT'S/GRE'S!! Big grin
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Springbok747

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:06 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 6):
As a side note, Desi kids (Indians) if they kick the bucket, will do so in a library or at home while cramming for SAT'S, MCAT'S, OR LSAT'S/GRE'S!!

Hahaha...very true  biggrin 

It seems Indians are the 'World's biggest readers'..hehe

Indians are the world's biggest bookworms, reading on average 10.7 hours a week

I had a Chinese classmate last year..and the dude used to play online games the whole night...then sleep during the day. So I guess it's no big surprise that a few of them end up dead as a result of that...but seriously though those guys need to stop playing so many damn games. I wonder if that guy's family will sue the game developer...heh
אני תומך בישראל

JeffSFO

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 4):
But, since I meant this to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek...

Some people need to get a life

*cough* Who Else Got Really Nervous During A.net Outage? (by Birdwatching Jul 11 2005 in Site Related) *cough*

LOL! Good point.  Smile