Americans Who Pronounce Words With Spanish Accents

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:57 am

Ok, I'm sitting in class and my instructor is talking about SkyTeam. She keeps pronouncing "AeroMexico" with a Spanish accent, making it all dramatic. (Al-lo-may-he-co) This is irritating the piss out of me. Shouldn't she therefore pronounce the other SkyTeam carriers with their own accent? She doesn't.

I've noticed a LOT of Americans doing this, especially with Spanish words.

It's like Wolf Blitzer on CNN pronouncing Qatar, "cutter". IT'S MOTHERF@$%ING KA-TAR Wolf! Always has been, always will be. The CEO of Qatar Airways says it like this!

When did Iraq (I-RACK) become E-ROCK?

Why do Americans do this? If there is a logical reason, then shouldn't they have to pronounce all foreign words in the native accent?

When ordering a drink, should we get a "Wod-ka" and cranberry?
When I get take out, so I have to say "kung pow chicken" like the guy on the other end of the phone?
Do I have to say, "My favorite sport is hockey, eh?" and sound like the MacKenzie brothers?

Where does it all end? Does anyone else share my pain?

B

[Edited 2005-08-10 21:03:50]

aa61hvy

RE: Americans Who Pronounce Words With Spanish Accents

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:01 am

I always like it when the newscasters turn hispanic when they say a hispanic persons name.
Go big or go home

TWFirst

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:05 am

You have a point.... sort of.

Just because we as Americans pronounce foreign words with an American accent doesn't mean it's correct to do so. When pronouncing Spanish words, (and technically Aeromexico is a Spanish word) the correct Spanish pronunciation, although annoying, is probably the correct thing to do.

On the flip side, doesn't it annoy you when foreigners don't make any effort to pronounce English correctly?

(edited for typo)

[Edited 2005-08-10 21:11:31]
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:06 am

If I speak the language, or know the proper pronunciation, I'll pronounce it properly, not really a big deal. It's not as bad as spitting in a urinal  Silly.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:08 am

It's also like that in German. Everyone chimes in a pseudo-american accent when pronouncing an english word. On the total opposite we have Italian. They "translate" everything in the native Italian accent. For example, the music group "U2", normally pronounced "you too", becomes "oo doo-eh" in italian, which is hilarious Big grin. Another funny thing in Italian are Levi's Jeans ... they suddenly become "lewis" or "leh-vees".

But I concur with the OP that Americans trying to emulate a spanish accent sound terrible  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

AirWillie6475

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Thread starter):

Since the English speaking world learned of the country Iraq.

What pisses me off is when people say I-RAQ instead of ERAQ beacause that's the way it is said, I-RAQ is just something uneducated (news reporter) A-holes use, who have no idea about linguistics. Same thing with Moscow. You don't say it mosCOW its pronaunced moscoe like the rest of the world says it. Here in the U.S we make up sounds because they fit our way of saying words but it just sounds dumb.

Superfly

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:15 am

Que?  Confused

I am guilty of pronouncing Bowston and New Joisy with there native accent.
I don't do this with Spanish or French words.
Bring back the Concorde

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:16 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 2):
On the flip side, doesn't it annoy you when foreigners don't make any effort to pronounce English correctly?

Yes, damnit! If we're obligated to say things in the native accent, then when I go to Japan, I wanna hear "Quarter Pounder", "Boeing", and "Philadelphia Eagles" said like an American!  

So again, why do we do this? What does it do?

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 5):
Since the English speaking world learned of the country Iraq.

No, not really. It's been I-RACK up until this war. Something changed.

B

[Edited 2005-08-10 21:20:20]

searpqx

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:18 am

I took six years of Spanish in school (and haven't used it once since, oh well), so pronouncing Spanish or Mexican names and places properly is second nature to me. In retrospect it probably is annoying, but after twenty some odd years, it's a habit I doubt I can break.

On the other hand, here in Hawai'i the locals have a distinct pidgin dialect, and hearing a haole, including transplants like myself, talk in a fake pidgin accent sets my hair on end. Unless you've been immersed in it for awhile it takes some real effort, and even then it doesn't sound right. You're not fooling any of the locals into thinking you're from here, so why do it? Out of respect for the loacals and the culture I try and pronounce the Hawai'ian names properly, but beyond that, I'm a haole, they know it, I know it, so why not try and get along on that basis?
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Mir

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:20 am

I pronounce about half of the foreign words I know in the proper way, mostly having to do with the vowels. It just sounds better. I sometimes extend that to foreign words that the US has adopted into common use (ne-vah-dah as opposed to ne-va-da).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

SlamClick

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:21 am

If H.H. Humphrey had been elected President I would have stayed in Latin America just to hear the newscasters down there say: Oobert Achay Oomphrey.

As it is I just have to content myself with listening to Brits pronouncing "foreign" words. They are funnier than we are!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AirWillie6475

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 7):
then when I go to Japan, I wanna hear "Quarter Pounder",

I don't remember if they call it that there but if they did its gonna sound more like Quatar Pandar.  Smile

carmenlu15

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:26 am

It goes both ways... ever heard Spanish speakers trying to (mis)pronounce words that come from English? I can understand it with proper names, but it really ticks me off when they could have used a Spanish word for the same purpose.

... oh well, I confess myself guilty at times... but at least my spoken English is good Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

xpat

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:27 am

Frankly I think it's totally fine that they are pronounced the way they were intended to be. To the whole I-RACK, EERAQ debate let's add I-RAN vs. EERAHN, PAKIS-STAN vs. PAKI-STAHN, AFGHANI-STAN vs. AFGHANI-STAHN. Why not pronounce them the correct way?
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

WellHung

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:29 am

Because they know they are idiots and want to appear smarter than they actually are. This is really the only possible explanation.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:31 am

when I go to Japan, I wanna hear "Quarter Pounder", "Boeing", and "Philadelphia Eagles" said like an American!

Fee-ra-der-fee-uh Eaguhrs
E pur si muove -Galileo

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 2):

Yes. And Americans are the worst !  Smile

No, not really. It's been I-RACK up until this war. Something changed.

No - in the ENGLISH-speaking world, it was always Ih-rahk. Same for Ih-rahn, Pahkiss-tahn, Affgannis-tahn, etc. In the AMERICAN-speaking world, however...

Oh and by the way, it's "Cannes", pronounced like "can". Not "Cahn". Nobody calls it Cahn, not even the French.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

SlamClick

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Xpat (Reply 13):
AFGHANI-STAN vs. AFGHANI-STAHN. Why not pronounce them the correct way?

Okay, it is properly pronounced more like Afannistan. Drop the G.

SRQCrosscheck

RE: Americans Who Pronounce Words With Spanish Acc

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
Fee-ra-der-fee-uh Eaguhrs

hey hey hey, the English "L" happens to be really hard for Japanese speakers, since they don't have that consonant, and the position of the tongue near the top teeth is approximately where the tongue is for the Japanese/Spanish r.

ever heard an american try to say french words like "abeille" with an eille or any words that end in -tion ? it can be just as pathetic.

[Edited 2005-08-10 21:56:14]

[Edited 2005-08-10 22:00:10]

waterpolodan

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:31 am

Why do Americans do this? If there is a logical reason, then shouldn't they have to pronounce all foreign words in the native accent?

Personally, I pronounce spanish words with the proper accent because I speak spanish. The majority of the populace here in miami would scoff at someone who mispronounces a word, like my friend who read a florida lotto sign that said juegue aquí (play here) as jewgew akwee. My feeling is, if someone pronounces it properly, there's nothign wrong with that, no matter the language they are trying to imitate, but if they butcher it and it turns into a cheap imitation of an accent, then they're better off with the gringo pronunciation  Wink

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 18):
hey hey hey, the English "L" happens to be really hard for Japanese speakers, since they don't have that consonant

Oh I know...it's just easier to laugh at everybody's linguistic quirks than worry about it.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Logan22L

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:04 am

Philadelphia Eagles

That's "Iggles."

Signed,

Lindsey Nelson

My related peeve is this: if the capital of China is Bejing, then why do we call it Peking? Why the hell are there different names for cities? One city = one name, damnit!
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

PADSpot

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:14 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 5):

What pisses me off is when people say I-RAQ instead of ERAQ beacause that's the way it is said, I-RAQ is just something uneducated (news reporter) A-holes use, who have no idea about linguistics. Same thing with Moscow. You don't say it mosCOW its pronaunced moscoe like the rest of the world says it. Here in the U.S we make up sounds because they fit our way of saying words but it just sounds dumb.

AFAIK "E-RUQ is correct ("CK" at the end is wrong becuase it is pronounced softly). That's at least how the guy on BBC pronounced it some minutes ago. That's how we say in German. And finally it's closest to what arabic speaking people say ...

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 17):
Okay, it is properly pronounced more like Afannistan. Drop the G.

Nope. The "G" is correct. Actually it's more like "Afgahnistan" (the middle part is emphasized). Thats at least what I remember from how their president pronounced it lately ...

gipper913

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
No - in the ENGLISH-speaking world, it was always Ih-rahk. Same for Ih-rahn, Pahkiss-tahn, Affgannis-tahn, etc. In the AMERICAN-speaking world, however...

Wow! I never thought we'd reach the point where a Frenchman would be taking the English side over the Americans!  Smile

Hey, all of the Ameircan versions of the pronunciations you quote are acceptable pronunciations according to the unabridged dictionary I have on hand here at my office, though the Americanized versions are prefered, and the Bristishisms are described as either alternates or antiquated.

Yes, the Brits/Aussies/Canadians etc and the US are separated by a common language. The Brits add "u"s in odd places like "labour" and "colour" and we don't. They also call the trunk of a car a "boot". All this just points to the diversity, flexibility and strength of the English language. Other languages (yes, especially French) are a bit more rigid.

As to the i-RAK vs EE-rock, it is that popmpous nit Christianne Amanpour of CNN who has been proselytizing to use HER British-ism version of pronunciation. I say, that's fine for the BBC, but here in the colonies, we'll say i-RAK, thank you kindly!
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

SlamClick

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting SRQCrosscheck (Reply 18):
hey hey hey, the English "L" happens to be really hard for Japanese speakers, since they don't have that consonant,

That would certainly explain the "Japanese cannot say Honoruru" story at LAX clearance delivery. (He kept reading back "cleared to Hickham")

Jaspike

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting Gipper913 (Reply 23):
The Brits add "u"s in odd places like "labour" and "colour" and we don't.

We don't add them, you take them out  Wink  Silly

Tom

Mexicana757

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:08 am

Very good topic here. I say E-ROCK and E-RUN. I-RAN sounds just llike you say it, I ran.

Watching the BBC World news and those reporters say It like I do. And in Spanish you pronounce them the same way but slight difference in the pronounciation.

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 25):
We don't add them, you take them out

Haha funny  rotfl 

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:25 am

I like the way British reporters say "al-Qaeda." They seem to add a couple of syllables...like they try to pronounce every letter. It's "al-kida" with a long I sound. Not "aa-el-kay-ee-da."

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Logan22L

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting Gipper913 (Reply 23):
Wow! I never thought we'd reach the point where a Frenchman would be taking the English side over the Americans!

Actually, JG is South African. The only reason he lives in France is so I can do this:

http://home.att.net/~rcoffey/French_Frog.jpg
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

FLAIRPORT

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:04 am

ok a few points here:
Maybe I don't notice it too much in Miami (pronounced MY-AMA!)...
However, I've always wanted to go to Taco Bell and order a queso dela! (quesodilla)

Do I have to say, "My favorite sport is hockey, eh?" and sound like the MacKenzie brothers?

I like to say that Big grin! Also, lots of Upper-Midwesterners (MN, WI, ND, SD) talk like that.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):
I always like it when the newscasters turn hispanic when they say a hispanic persons name.

They do that all the time in Miami...keep in mind half of them are Hispanic anyway, so its the other way around

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
I am guilty of pronouncing Bowston and New Joisy with there native accent.

Me too, and my New York native mother slips in some of her accent sometimes too!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

ShyFlyer

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:39 am

It's like Wolf Blitzer on CNN pronouncing Qatar, "cutter". I

He's not the only one. Practically everyone I've heard on TV says "cutter." Everytime I hear it, I yell "It's pronounced KA-TAR you idiot! 'Cutter' is an FBO"  Silly
I lift things up and put them down.

TedTAce

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 29):
keep in mind half of them are Hispanic anyway

Rick 'the dick' Sanchez doesn't count.. he's as green as the Greengoes get despite his adopted onscreen latin surname.
This space intentionally left blank

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 am

Quoting Xpat (Reply 13):
Frankly I think it's totally fine that they are pronounced the way they were intended to be. To the whole I-RACK, EERAQ debate let's add I-RAN vs. EERAHN, PAKIS-STAN vs. PAKI-STAHN, AFGHANI-STAN vs. AFGHANI-STAHN. Why not pronounce them the correct way?

I can give you three reasons...

1) You can't just up and change these things after we've learned them. It's just like, when I learn the answers, they change the questions. I'm an American, I pay my taxes, if I'm standing on American soil, speaking to another American, it's I-RACK, and Air-oh-Mex-e-co, thank you very much.

If I'm in a foreign country, I'll try my best to say it so they understand it. I personally would rather a visitor say an American word however they are comfortable saying it. When I'm in that position, I feel like the biggest doofus trying to say it in their accent. I'm sure they do too.

2) This seems to only apply to Spanish, and Arabic. If you're gonna do it for some, you have to do it for all. So from now on, it's wodka, and kwa-saw...no more vodka and croissant (Kra-sant). That ice cream place in the mall? Better figure it our because you can't call it "Freshens" (Fresh-ins) anymore.

Any foreign words have to be pronounced in the accent of that country, dems da rules.

3) There needs to be some reciprocity. So when I go to Japan, they're not allowed to say Ros An-ger-is, it's Los Angeles. Mexico, you too. No more Noo Jork Jankees. When I hear it said the American way, I'll start saying May-Hee-Co.  Wink

We need some ground rules is all I'm saying. I don't know why this isn't on the top of the U.N.'s agenda.

B

PS: Have we figured out the Qatar (KA-tar) and "cutter" thing yet, because I'm pretty sure it's KA-tar the world over. Dunno what Wolf Blitzer's problem is...

FLAIRPORT

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:33 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 31):
Rick 'the dick' Sanchez doesn't count.. he's as green as the Greengoes get despite his adopted onscreen latin surname.

He hasn't been around here for a while. He tried a (unsucessful) talk show! Sucked btw! Now he's with Wolf at CNN!

Seriously, I know half the radio DJs are Hispanic too...not that its a bad thing, but like I was listening to some Jazz on the radio, and some guy with a heavy Spanish accent came on and did a little "Hey, all you cool cats out there" like they sometimes do...it's not the same! And when you listen to an English station and they start speaking spanish, maybe its only down here, but they tend to do that on our hip-hop stations and my favorite is the Hurban (Hispanic Urban) station...EVERYTHING is in SPANGLISH! Commercials, talk (they seriously go back and forth) and even the music...iQue Horibble!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

QANTASforever

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:45 am

It was always "Eh-ruck". What I can't stand is when I hear "eye-rark".

Yeeuck.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

ren41

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 30):
It's like Wolf Blitzer on CNN pronouncing Qatar, "cutter". I

He's not the only one. Practically everyone I've heard on TV says "cutter." Everytime I hear it, I yell "It's pronounced KA-TAR you idiot! 'Cutter' is an FBO"

According to lonelyplanet.com its somewhere in between "cutter" and "gutter". I always thought it was KA-TAR (sort of like guitar).

"Best known for being unknown, Qatar has a habit of falling off the world's radar. Most foreign maps of Arabia drawn before the 19th century don't show the Qatar peninsula, and most people in the West don't even know where it is. Fewer still can pronounce it (somewhere between 'cutter' and 'gutter')."
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/middle_east/qatar/

R41

Banco

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:01 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):
I like the way British reporters say "al-Qaeda." They seem to add a couple of syllables...like they try to pronounce every letter. It's "al-kida" with a long I sound. Not "aa-el-kay-ee-da."

I'd be a bit careful there. Many of the BBC's middle east correspondents are fluent in Arabic anyway, and one thing the Beeb have always had is huge numbers of backroom staff that do nothing but work on and advise about pronunciation.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

LO231

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:26 pm

I've got two words for you:

FLIED LICE.

Mmm, yummy.  Smile

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

agill

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:42 pm

Wasn't eye-rak considered sounding like an arabic cussword or something.

Braybuddy

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:49 pm

There are some anomalies here: nobody in the English-speaking world says Paree for the capital of France or Berleen for the capital of Germany. Yet we say "Neece" for the southern French city, instead of Nice (to rhyme with ice) and Marsay instead of Marseilles.

The way you pronounce a place name ususally boils down to what you were taught in school.

komododx

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 41):
There are some anomalies here: nobody in the English-speaking world says Paree for the capital of France or Berleen for the capital of Germany. Yet we say "Neece" for the southern French city, instead of Nice (to rhyme with ice) and Marsay instead of Marseilles.

Uh, I believe every English-speaker I've ever heard pronounce Berlin has said it right.

Never heard Nice? Take a trip to the South (US).  wink 

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:36 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 37):
Sure, and Italy is also pronounced I-taly, not E-taly, dumbass!

Quoting Komododx (Reply 38):
Sheesh, somedays it's like all of a.net's people are ignorant and uneducated idiots!

Hey douchebag, let me clue you in on something. This post is pure humor. I have to wonder who the "uneducated idiot" (that's redundant btw) is who can't pick up on this.

You can always count on someone to turn each and every post into shit. Take your attitude elsewhere. We're having fun.

B

kalakaua

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:08 pm

I would like to hear someone pronounce Hawai`i "correctly" without saying it awkwardly. You're better off saying it the "wrong" way. Don't try impress me.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

komododx

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 41):
Hey douchebag

I'm so offended  Smile

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 41):
"uneducated idiot" (that's redundant btw)

Uneducated=Someone who lacks education
Idiot=A person of subnormal intelligence

I don't care if the thread is humorous or not, but pronouncing Iraq as I-RACK is just plain stupid.

Stefano  wave 

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 43):
I don't care if the thread is humorous or not, but pronouncing Iraq as I-RACK is just plain stupid.

No, it's not. It's how it was taught, and is still being taught in school.

Just because someone says "I-RACK" does not qualify them as a dumbass. This is how George Bush Sr. said it, and he's hardly and "uneducated idiot".

His son on the other hand... Wink

B

komododx

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 44):
No, it's not. It's how it was taught, and is still being taught in school.

Was it in the South? The deep South?

I'm sorry but if you pronounce I-RACK you are very wrong. And you never answered my question: Do you say I-taly or E-taly? I-talian food or E-talian food? Don't tell me you're like the people at CNN that also say Arubean as opposed to Aruban.

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 44):
This is how George Bush Sr. said it, and he's hardly and "uneducated idiot".

His son on the other hand...

Like father, like son. Works both ways.

Stefano

[Edited 2005-08-11 16:49:57]

airbuzz

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 4):
On the total opposite we have Italian. They "translate" everything in the native Italian accent. For example, the music group "U2", normally pronounced "you too", becomes "oo doo-eh" in italian, which is hilarious Big grin. Another funny thing in Italian are Levi's Jeans ... they suddenly become "lewis" or "leh-vees".

That's true! That's our Italian-English language...  Wink

Oh mamma-mia wot is det?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 45):
Was it in the South? The deep South?

I've heard it both ways. Actually most people "up north" that I know say I-RACK. There's no right or wrong way, just the way each individual was taught.

But I know what you're getting at. You saw my profile and think I was born in Atlanta, and think you're insulting me with all these "southerner" comments. I was born in Philadelphia, grew up in Tampa, and just moved here 3 years ago. Nice try.

I'm sorry but if you pronounce I-RACK you are very wrong.

Proof please? Again, there's no right or wrong way, just the way each individual was taught. It's like tow-may-tow and ta-mot-tow.

Do you say I-taly or E-taly? I-talian food or E-talian food?

E-talian.

Don't tell me you're like the people at CNN that also say Arubean as opposed to Aruban.

Aruban. I used to fly there all the time, how about you, sunshine?

Those are the ways I've learned them in school. Then again, I also was taught I-RACK, so what's your point?

Like father, like son. Works both ways.

But Dubya says E-ROCK.

B

AsstChiefMark

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:00 pm

Shall we discuss the correct way to pronounce "police?"

It's not "PO-leese." It's "pol-EESE." The "O" is short and the accent is on the second syllable.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Flyer732

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:15 pm

Hey B,

Didn't we have this discussion one night while drinking? I remember complaining about "Qatar"