Matt D
Topic Author

The Wall Of Shame? Why Or Why Not?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:11 am

A lady who lives in Fountain Valley, CA (located in the heart of Orange County) stiffed The City Cafe with a bounced check to the tune of $4.41.

Yep, Four dollars and forty one cents.

How do I know this?

Because the check, complete with her name, address, and drivers license number, along with "NON-SUFFICIENT FUNDS" stamped all across it is in full view at the cashier for all to see, taped to the cash register.

I only wish more vendors had balls like this.

"Security concern"..."any freak can now go pay her a visit".

True. But the manager who displayed the bounced check isn't the one who passed said bad check.

I'll bet this lady, if she sees it or if anyone she knows sees it, will be plenty embarassed.

I'll bet she thinks twice before passing a rubber check next time.

[Edited 2005-08-11 18:15:29]

WellHung

RE: The Wall Of Shame? Why Or Why Not?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:22 am

Yeah, great call - screw a cafe out of $4.41 so you can pay your bank $25+ for a returned check fee. She must really be an evil bitch and obviously did this on purpose to score the ever elusive 'free lunch'.

Perhaps you should bone up on bank procedure before commenting on this situation.

Matt D
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:23 am

Who wrote a check with no funds to back it up?

Wasn't the bank.

WellHung

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:29 am

What's your point?

SlamClick

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 1):
Yeah, great call - screw a cafe out of $4.41 so you can pay your bank $25+ for a returned check fee. She must really be an evil bitch and obviously did this on purpose to score the ever elusive 'free lunch'.

Perhaps you should bone up on bank procedure before commenting on this situation.

She was made aware of the returned check. That means that she knows the cafe has not been paid. That means that every night when she goes to bed without having paid them is one more day in her life as a lawbreaker. You are correct about her having paid more to the bank than she would have to the cafe, and it is hard to fathom a motivation for this. Perhaps the idea of returning to the cafe to make good on her bad check is just seen as "good money after bad." Clearly she does not care that the merchant was not paid.

Who in the hell writes a check for such a miniscule amount anyway?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

erikwilliam

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting Matt D (Thread starter):

come to Brasil, I have plenty to show you.I might also give you a few if you like, keep as memorabilia
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

cfalk

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:39 am

What the hell is anyone doing writing a CHECK for $4.41?????????

Hasn't she ever head of something called CASH?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

WellHung

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:41 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
She was made aware of the returned check. That means that she knows the cafe has not been paid. That means that every night when she goes to bed without having paid them is one more day in her life as a lawbreaker. You are correct about her having paid more to the bank than she would have to the cafe, and it is hard to fathom a motivation for this. Perhaps the idea of returning to the cafe to make good on her bad check is just seen as "good money after bad." Clearly she does not care that the merchant was not paid.

Who knows - maybe it wasn't even her check. In which case, aside from her being a criminal, the person who accepted the check is also somewhat at fault for not performing due diligence and checking, ID, etc. And who ACCEPTS a check for $4.41?

Or maybe she went in to repay them, saw the check posted in clear view and said 'Go fu*k yourselves'. I know I would have. I probably would have pissed all over their toilet seat, too.

There is far too much information left out of this story.

[Edited 2005-08-11 18:42:21]

CaptOveur

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
Who in the hell writes a check for such a miniscule amount anyway?

Someone with no money.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

SlamClick

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 8):
Someone with no money.

Apparently Smile

Well, as WellHung said, now she has $25 less than none.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

BCAInfoSys

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:17 am

I have seen this a lot with bars that get stiffed with unpaid tabs. Kitty O'Shea's in Orlando for example had a list that was 15-20 entries long. With unpaid tabs ranging from $5 - $70+. I personally think it's a really great idea as I know I wouldn't show my face in there again if I was on the list, or it would prompt me to pay it. It also lets others know of the consequences for failing to pay what you owe; others are less likely to skip out after seeing that.
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

TedTAce

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:51 am

You are making the presumption that she paid that fee.

I think that this ought to happen all the time. You screw up, you get aired out.

I have a wall of shame (no public as I do phone support) for customers who call me with STUPID questions.. Makes a great conversation piece for the FNG's.. Big grin
This space intentionally left blank

CaptOveur

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 11):
no public as I do phone support

I knew you were a phone sex operator
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

PSA53

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

It's not unusual.As a retailer,I've seen it all.

The best ones, with a criminal intent ,will
write big checks on a sunday.
I.D. faked,500.00 dollars deposited
in the bank,and write 10 checks on the same
day below $500.00 to verify funds by the retailer.
Best solution.Call the home number on the check.
I don't take checks anymore.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

aloges

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 am

I sometimes wonder why you people still use checks...  Silly So much trouble!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

NoUFO

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:14 am

If the manager want to provide a good laugh to his guests - fine. But then he should have blacked out all personal data of that lady - maybe with the exception of her first name.
Without doing so, he's just creating a modern pillory, thus embarrassing himself.

Quoting Matt D (Thread starter):

This has nothing to do with "having balls"; it's just an immature behaviour worse than signing a bad cheque for $4.41.
I support the right to arm bears

EA CO AS

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 15):
he's just creating a modern pillory, thus embarrassing himself.

I have a feeling he's not embarrassed in the least.

While I agree the address and phone number should have been blacked out to avoid any possible liability claims from the woman, I don't see a problem with publicly displaying that bounced check.

It definitely sends a message - don't bounce a check here, or you too will be displayed for all the world to see.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PSA53

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 14):
I sometimes wonder why you people still use checks...

I sometimes wonder why retailers accept them at all when
ATM banks cards are so frequent in use and funds are
taken out right then.

searpqx

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 14):
I sometimes wonder why you people still use checks... Silly So much trouble!

When the company I worked for first started doing business in Europe, the best piece of advice we got was, "The only people who pay with checks here (Netherlands) are deadbeats".
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Matt D
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:34 am

I'm almost tempted to go down there, snap a picture of it with my cell phone camera and then post it here. Would that open the door to some "liability"?

PSA53

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:38 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 16):
While I agree the address and phone number should have been blacked out to avoid any possible liability claims from the woman, I don't see a problem with publicly displaying that bounced check.

Be careful with that one.That could be federal,like displaying counterfeit
cash, it is your job as a retailer,to report it.Puting it display,I believe,
is against the law.

TedTAce

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 12):

I knew you were a phone sex operator

Yes, and your last check to the service I work for bounced like a superball!!! No more "Gay Domination" love for you CO...
This space intentionally left blank

Pope

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:10 am

In typical liberal fashion, Wellhung only shows concern for the consumer who bounced the check. Well there's no mention of the fact that the cafe's bank probably charged them $30 for an NSF collection. Why should the cafe bear the financial burden for its customer's irresponsibility?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

WellHung

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:03 am

In typical idiot fashion, Pope completely misunderstands the post. But what's to be expected from someone who throws around the word 'liberal' as if it's some kind of insult? Keep it up and soon you'll be as respected as Karl Rove. See SlamClick's reply if you want to see someone who DID understand it. Or stop spinning on Rush's johnson and immediately labeling things in liberal/conservative terms and you, too, may one day understand the post.

Not that I really care about the consumer because she certainly shouldn't be writing checks without funds, but I don't give a rat's ass about the cafe at this point, either. The way I see it, their bank's fee is a charge for the reckless irresponsibility displayed by the cafe's management for posting the check with all the customer's information - not only her address and such, but the account and routing numbers. And then there's the childishness of the cafe management's attitude for encouraging this.

aerobalance

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:14 am

MattD, you'd make a great prosecutor - great at criticizing a person knowing one side of the story. I think you would have fried Jesus.

T
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Matt D
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:27 am

In this instance, there is no "other side".

The woman wrote a check.
It bounced.

End of story.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

Hasn't she ever head of something called CASH?

*coughs* Someone at my work (CircuitCity) bought a Coke with a check for $1.19 with tax. Bloody hell, I swear to god.

Pope

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:23 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 23):
but I don't give a rat's ass about the cafe at this point, either.

Of course you don't. Liberals always think that companies are evil.

The way I see it, their bank's fee is a charge for the reckless irresponsibility displayed by the cafe's management for posting the check with all the customer's information

The problem is that the bank charged the cafe before they posted the check (and before they even knew whether the check would be posted - furthermore, even if the check wouldn't have been posted, the bank would have charged the cafe the fee). Therefore your justification theory is completely devoid of any rational logic.

People need to take responsibility for their actions - if you write a bad check, you're subject to the consequences. The cafe, to the best of my knowledge has violated no law, nor broken any contract. The same can't be said about the customer. Yet you want the customer to be the victim when the only one who is out real cash is the cafe.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

skyservice_330

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:39 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
In typical liberal fashion

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
Liberals always think that companies are evil.

Any more generalizations you want to make? Who is next? African Americans? Chinese? Gay/Lesbian?

Bottome line - she wrote the cheque, it bounced, she is at fault for not boning up and paying the 4 bucks. Shit happens, life goes on.

Quoting Matt D (Reply 19):
I'm almost tempted to go down there, snap a picture of it with my cell phone camera and then post it here. Would that open the door to some "liability"?

And posting it here would do ... what?

PSA53

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:04 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
People need to take responsibility for their actions - if you write a bad check, you're subject to the consequences.

But some don't.In fact,it's our fault in some cases.

Bad employees who don't do the proper checks,don't care, or are scared
by a customer calling them names.To give you an idea of bad employee,loss prevention department showed us a bad check,one time, that signature read in full,F**k Y*U. 90% of loss prevention problems to a retailer, are caused by bad employees.

WellHung

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 25):
The woman wrote a check.
It bounced.

End of story.

Thanks for the summary. With the litany of facts you provided, I'd say the cafe has rights to her first born. Maybe they can garnish her wages, too.  Confused

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 28):
Any more generalizations you want to make? Who is next? African Americans? Chinese? Gay/Lesbian?

I would say Arabs are next. Only a conservative or idiot would make such generalizations. Fortunately, as seen above, they are often one in the same, preventing the rest of us from being overwhelmed by either. Kinda like killing two birds with one stone.

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
your justification theory is completely devoid of any rational logic.

It's not my fault you don't get the last post, either. Perhaps your shot missed the framed pic of Hannity, half your computer screen is obscured by a sticky white substance and you just can't read the whole post. You then compensate by injecting facts into the story that don't exist.

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
if you write a bad check, you're subject to the consequences.

Exactly. And as stated in the bank's terms, she is obligated to pay the returned check fee. Perhaps when Matt D returns to the place, he can take a pic of the cafe's policy that states anyone who bounces a check will have their personal information, including bank account number, full name and address, bank name, routing number and address and any other information someone could use to transfer funds to their account/credit card, posted for the public to see. Personally, I'd like to see a pic of this policy. The cafe could be considered an accomplice in identity theft should anyone choose to abuse this information.

mrniji

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:48 am

But what's to be expected from someone who throws around the word 'liberal' as if it's some kind of insult?

Damn, I am starting to like that guy I a quoting.. he might be strange but more often now he has a point  bigthumbsup 
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

WellHung

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 31):
Damn, I am starting to like that guy I a quoting..

Don't worry. I have a feeling it won't last long.  Wink

mrniji

Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 32):
Don't worry. I have a feeling it won't last long.

Dito, I concur  bigthumbsup  [would be boring otherwise]
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

aerorobnz

Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):

Who uses checks at all these days? They aren't even accepted as a form of cash here at most places these days. It's Cash/Credit/Eftpos only. They are such a backward form of currency.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

mrniji

Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 34):
Who uses checks at all these days? They aren't even accepted as a form of cash here at most places these days. It's Cash/Credit/Eftpos only. They are such a backward form of currency.

I love 'em Big grin

In the US and UK, I still use them frequently - in Germany, direct debits.. btw what is Eftpos?

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:29 pm

Electronic Funds Transfer, Point Of Sale ... NZ version of a cashless society. Available in virtually every retail place, bar, petrol station, etc.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "