FlyingTexan
Topic Author

2% Of US Eggs End Up On A Waffle House Plate

Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:57 pm

AP Article - Waffle House: Still Dishing at Age 50

ATLANTA - It's well past midnight and a movie theater manager sits down to supper after his shift. A couple nearby sips coffee. In walk two women who have, in all fairness, seen better days, their jeans worn thin, their hair matted. The women don't even merit a stare. This is Waffle House.

(also)

Two percent of all eggs produced in the United States for food service end up on a Waffle House plate.

===
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

beefer

RE: 2% Of US Eggs End Up On A Waffle House Plate

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:08 pm

You know, I have NEVER eaten at a Waffle House.

What makes them so special??? Is it really cheap or is the food just that good?

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting Beefer (Reply 1):
Is it really cheap or is the food just that good?

It’s REALLY good. Good value – I plunk about 5 or 6 bucks – great for a full hot breakfast and coffee.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

baylorairbear

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
eggs produced in the United States for food service

Why else would you produce an egg?
edit:I guess that doesn't include food prepared at home.

Also, regarding maple syrup

Quote:
...at Cracker Barrel we proudly serve 6% of the world’s supply. Did you know it takes 30 to 40 gallons of Maple Sap to produce one gallon of Pure Maple Syrup...

BaylorAirBear

[Edited 2005-08-13 08:23:08]
I'm just skipping stones...

aa777flyer

Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:34 pm

The Aweful house SUCKS, it is the WALMART of restaurants. It makes Dennys look gourmet! Wafflehouse is for the true redneck - trailer trash crowd.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

ArmitageShanks

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:12 am

I love Waffle House. I eat there all the time and the people working there know who I am, haha.

Whenever anyone in my family travels overseas, we always send a postcard to our local Waffle House.

USAFHummer

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 3):

Vandalism
Easter Egg Hunts
Vernal Equinox experiments

etc...  Wink

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Thread starter):
eggs produced in the United States for food service

edit:I guess that doesn't include food prepared at home.

I wondered about that, too. Guess it does not include eggs sold in supermarkets.

Waffle House is great – I’m craving some of their eggs and some of their hash browns smothered, covered, diced, and topped.

DAL767400ER

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:41 am

I love Waffle House. It's usually the best option to get a breakfast when you're touring the country (way better than the breakfast crap at McD's). Lot's of choices at reasonable prices. Though in all honesty, I have seen my fair share of rednecks there  Wink .

eaglekeeper101

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:51 am

Could somebody run over to Waffle House and ship some hash browns "all the way" (minus jalapenos) to England for me?

I love living here, but I must admit that the "Little Chef" chain (I believe that's the name of it) leaves much to be desired.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

dl021

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:54 am

Where else are you gonna get steak and eggs at 0300 in Hahira or Ludowisi or Odessa or hundreds of other places?

Waffle House is good food fast, and you will see the cross section of wherever you live eating there.

Did you know that there are over 100 ways to get your hashbrowns at the Waffle?

WHat has 8 eyes, 8 legs and a full set of teeth?

The 11pm to 7am shift at Waffle House!  Wink

AA777flyer The Aweful house SUCKS, it is the WALMART of restaurants. It makes Dennys look gourmet! Wafflehouse is for the true redneck - trailer trash crowd.

Bite me. I dare you to walk into a Waffle House and say that. I think you just insulted a significant portion of the US A.net membership, and you owe an apology, before significant retaliation takes place. Opinions of the food quality are one thing, but calling me and everyone here that enjoys the Waffle trailertrash is calling us out for a fight.

Care to rephrase?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

PPVRA

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 4):
The Aweful house SUCKS, it is the WALMART of restaurants. It makes Dennys look gourmet!

Agree. But at least Walmart sells some regular quality stuff.

[Edited 2005-08-13 18:57:45]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

dl021

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:57 am

Oh, and the best way for a waffle there is to ask for it 'well'.

Hash browns.....scattered, covered, topped and well. Smothered if you don't have to impress anyone with your breath later.  Wink

Dammit, I'm hungry....I'm gonna go to the Waffle House. Later.

ANCFlyer

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:04 am

Wafflehouse is for the true redneck - trailer trash crowd.

redflag 

Decent rations at a decent price . . .

Two over medium, biscuits, gravy, hash browns (crispy) with some diced onion, bacon - lots of bacon, side of grits and coffee.  bigthumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:06 am

Umm... Let's see... I know. To make...maybe...a bird?  Wink

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Cactus739

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:28 am

Oh get your nose out of the air.

The Waffle House is great. Sure the clientelle (and employees) sometimes are a bit iffy. But its damn good food, and a hell of a value. My roommate and I ended up there one night at like 3am...got an awesome breakfast for two for like $12. You can't beat that.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

b741

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:47 am

I was at an outlet in Orlando at 0300 and almost got in a fight with a bunch of drunken cowboys. The food was well worth the visit!
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

desertjets

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:48 am

And for $1.20 I dare you to find a better cup of coffee, with unlimited refills.

The Wafflehouse that I went to in an upscale Atlanta neighborhood (Buckhead) had clientel that looked rather far from the redneck, trailer trash, cousin lovin' folk you seem to think eat there.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

dl021

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:06 am

B741.....Now that's a Waffle House experience!

Mir

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:25 am

The food quality is pretty bad, and it's not somewhere I'd plan to go to for breakfast, but when you're on the road, you can do a lot worse than the Waffle House for breakfast.

The 2% of eggs thing does surprise me though.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BCAInfoSys

Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:04 am

I for one won't go near one. Never ate at one.. but after watch a Dateline special on the number of health violations they found at Waffle House, was enough to scar me for life. Granted, it's sensationalism at it's finest; but it worked on me in this case.. nothing like the image of cockroaches and rats on the floor and spilled food being left for days to ruin one's appetite.

I'll stick to IHOP thanks.. even though I'm sure I'll get flamed for that.  Wink
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

mdsh00

Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:42 am

I never even heard of Waffle House until this thread. I guess California is a Waffle-House Free Zone.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

DeltaGuy

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:12 am

Damn, now I want waffle house for dinner.

AA777flyer, thanks for the insult, myself and my college buddies shall find somewhere else to go at 3AM when we're drunk and need a cheap bite to eat. mad 

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

gigneil

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:25 am

It causes a serious rift in my soul that the closest Waffle House to me is over 30 miles away.

I used to live in Atlanta, where there are literally places with a Waffle House on 3 corners of the same intersection just to handle the traffic.

N

dl021

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:31 am

BCA....if you want to stay out of an entire restaurant chain, or category of restaurants because one of them had a poor health department test, Stevie, you'll have to avoid Chinese, Mexican, Italian restaurants for the rest of your life.....along with Denny's, IHOPs and every other chain out there.

I will force you to eat at a Waffle House the next time you are down here, or in NO and you will like it. 'Nuff said.

Ian

aa777flyer

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:30 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 10):
AA777flyer The Aweful house SUCKS, it is the WALMART of restaurants. It makes Dennys look gourmet! Wafflehouse is for the true redneck - trailer trash crowd.

Bite me. I dare you to walk into a Waffle House and say that. I think you just insulted a significant portion of the US A.net membership, and you owe an apology, before significant retaliation takes place. Opinions of the food quality are one thing, but calling me and everyone here that enjoys the Waffle trailertrash is calling us out for a fight.

Care to rephrase?

Nope- Hey at least try a IHOP or I used to go to the Peppermill. Great food!

dl021

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:28 pm

OK... well then, kiss my ass. Insulting people because they eat at certain places is a little asinine, and while I normally exchange insults with the best of them, I don't know you and don't really appreciate the remarks.

Not that it really matters, but being polite on the threads to strangers never hurts. Being rude for no good reason is asinine.

Mir

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but I saw an article in The Onion that said that the Mason-Dixon Line had been renamed the Waffle House-IHOP Line.  silly 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jetjack74

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:32 pm

The funniest thing is when you see from time to time, these rap and hip-hop videos filmed in the car parks of a Waffle House.
Made from jets!

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Umm, ok.

Everyone needs to eat. Most of Waffle House’s cuisine includes very basic foodstuffs; eggs, toast (bread), hamburger, and waffles.

What do you eat? Eggs not good enough for you? They’re for the riff-raff? What about bread?

aa777flyer

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 29):
Umm, ok.

Everyone needs to eat. Most of Waffle House’s cuisine includes very basic foodstuffs; eggs, toast (bread), hamburger, and waffles.

What do you eat? Eggs not good enough for you? They’re for the riff-raff? What about bread?

Its the way it is presented and the QUALITY of the food.

When I go out to eat breakfast I eat at
Hobees www.hobees.com

or I go to Stacks

Stacks is a bit more expensive, usually I get out for about $18.00 compared to about $13 at Hobees.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 30):
When I go out to eat breakfast I eat at
Hobees www.hobees.com

Aaah so a PRETENTIOUS Waffle House that makes you feel better than the proles. Gotcha.

I'll eat at Waffle House, sure. If I'm on a long drive and I need caffeine and a quick jolt of sugar, Waffle House is the best. In my wild and wooly days at USC though, the closest 24-hour restaurant was an IHOP and I did develop a fondness for their Swedish pancakes. Also good but a bit more formal (Sundays is pretty much the church crowd until the late afternoon) is the Original Pancake House (www.originalpancakehouse.com). Great apple waffles and the accompanying apple syrup is great. Although because they don't have "queso fresco" on the menu it's probably not pretentious enough for Aa777flyer.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

jcs17

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:35 pm

2% of steroids in America end up in my body.

Signed,
AA61hvy
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

LH423

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:32 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 23):
It causes a serious rift in my soul that the closest Waffle House to me is over 30 miles away.

Ah whatever! That's probably the closest one to me too...over six HUNDRED miles away  Sad I love Waffle House. My recent trip to Texas was the first time in years that I travelled to the South and didn't get to eat Waffle House. I'm still sad!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

NIKV69

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:36 pm

Quoting Beefer (Reply 1):
What makes them so special??? Is it really cheap or is the food just that good?

DO NOT eat there! They have to be some of the dirtiest places I have ever seen. I used to eat in them from time to time especially on my annual drive cross country but I discovered Dennys ois a better bet.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

senorcarnival

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:36 am

It sucks now that the nearest Waffle House is 80 miles north in Austin. Damn you, franchisees. Up until 2004, the nearest one was in Dallas, 200+ miles away. Their coffee is pretty damn good.
Has anyone gone to Shoney's lately? I haven't been to one since I lived in SC nearly 10 years ago. Their breakfast bar rocked.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

TedTAce

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:51 am

This:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
side of grits

Waived your right to wave:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
 redflag 

on the redneck comment!!

Yes, it's a predominantly southern chain, yes there are a lot of truckers and strange folks at all kinds of odd hours.. BUT @ 0200 when you just HAVE to have bacon and eggs W(here)TF are you going to go and have as much fun WATCHING them NOT spit into your food because you are keeping them up?
Waffle House is not high brow, it's very utilitarian, but anyone who says it's bad is a snob, or likes loogies in their food Big grin
This space intentionally left blank

clrd2go

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:57 am

nearest wafflehouse to me is in Pennsylvania..about a 4 hour drive
from where I live in New Hampshire..

planning trip to Georgia in the near future though!

Jim scattered and smothered
What a long strange trip it's been

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Waffle House Trip Report

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:25 am

Waffle House Trip Report

This morning I rose before the crack of dawn destined for Waffle House. I arrived there at quarter till seven.

There were half dozen patrons – all single parties – in various stages of dining. I ordered a cup of coffee; black, and consumed it prior to ordering my entrée.

My entrée order: 2 eggs scrambled, regular covered (with cheese) and diced (with tomatoes), a side of bacon and white toast. The chef informed me they are out of white toast; so I switched to wheat.

My order arrived in mere minutes; piping hot with steam. I spent my time consuming breakfast, glancing at the morning paper.

It was delicious.

After clearing my plate, I paid my tab, left a dollar tip, and departed.

I noticed the parking lot consisted of a new Mercedes-Benz E-series sedan, a Volvo SUV, and a new Ford F-150 FX4 Extended Cab. So much for trailer trash.

WellHung

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:36 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 38):
So much for trailer trash.

I'm sure you more than made up for the rest of them.  Smile

[Edited 2005-08-15 19:36:40]

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 39):
So much for trailer trash.

I'm sure you more than made up for the rest of them.

I did my best!  Wink

N312RC

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:01 am

Back in High School my friends and I used to drive south into Ohio to have waffle house... Now that i live in Jacksonville, FL its a little easier to enjoy it.
N/A

NIKV69

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 am

I have two words for all of you!

CRACKER BARREL!

Blows away Dennys, Awful House etc!

baylorairbear

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:07 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 42):
CRACKER BARREL!

Apples and oranges, but I do agree that Denny's kicks the shit out of the rest.

BaylorAirBear

NIKV69

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 43):
Apples and oranges, but I do agree that Denny's kicks the shit out of the rest.

You obviously have never eaten in a Cracker Barrel. Which is much superior in every aspect of the breakfast or food business. Great food, service and the place itself is awesome!

baylorairbear

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 44):
You obviously have never eaten in a Cracker Barrel.

You're right. The one I can see from my window and eat in every week is a figment of my imagination. Relax your anus.

I am saying that the others don't even belong in the same category as C.B. cuz they don't even come close. In the realm of low cost, low-medium quality food, Denny's wins. C.B. is low cost, high quality food served in a unique setting. For the most part you could take an IHOP sign and hang it on a Denny's and never know the difference.

BaylorAirBear

deltairlines

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:34 am

I'm looking forward to heading back down South this week...will finally be able to go to Waffle House...beats the pants of IHOP for sure.

As for the people there, it's a broad cross-section...it's not trailer trash only, but has people from just about every walk of life there.

Jeff

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:25 am

Waffle House Trip Report

Did you get a window seat??  rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LH423

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:20 pm

There's a Waffle House in Allentown, PA?! That's only...6 hours from here! A day trip!  Smile

They really need to open a Waffle House up here, though somehow I doubt it'd be the same. It's a really a Southern institution and I think if that were to ever really change it'd kill the whole idea of what I think Waffle House is.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

dl021

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:26 pm

Flying Texan....excellent trip report.

Sorry you missed the trailer trash.....I'm certain they were only minutes behind you and the folks in the Mercedes.....

DL021