USAFHummer
Topic Author

What To Do In AUS?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:17 pm

Gonna be in AUS for a few days in a few months...never been before, and was wondering if any AUS a.netters had any recommendations on things to see for the typical tourist, and just general tips overall for the city?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Lt-AWACS

RE: What To Do In AUS?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:40 pm

Are you wanting to drink, bar hope and party, or go to the museums and such or a little of both? What part of town are you staying in?

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 1):
Are you wanting to drink, bar hope and party, or go to the museums and such or a little of both? What part of town are you staying in?

Mostly the latter, though tips on the former wouldn't be unappreciated  Wink ...my accomodations are within a few blocks of the Erwin Center and I'll only have access to public transportation when I'm there for getting around (as well as walking of course!)...

Thanks,
Greg

satx

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:03 pm

Gotta visit 6th Street!  Big grin
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Lt-AWACS

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:08 pm

There are three free museums on The University of Texas campus (with art, dinosaurs, a Guttenburg bible and the worlds first photograph, for examples) and the Bob Bullock Texas History museum (fee) just north of the capitol. All are within walking distance of the Erwin. The capitol building tour itself is good, and lead by volunteers that meet at the south entrance (there is a schedule inside). You can walk around inside the capitol for free as well, the tour just has some gucci info included. There is a Texas Travel info centre on the capitol grounds (SE corner) that has free maps and brochures.

The city buses will take you into downtown where you can see 6th street, where many of the bars and nightclubs are located. 6th has become more touristy in recent years, but still has some old standard bars and clubs. 4th street and the wharehouse district has some newer bars and clubs that often find and older crowd. 6th street is closed off at night and is all walkable. Cabs are cheap within that area back to campus.

Capt-AWACS, No i dont spel cheq

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:15 pm

Almost forgot the most important thing...how's the Texas football crowd? The main reason I'm going to AUS is to catch my Buffs take on the 'Horns there since its my fall break at CU...do I have anything to worry about on game-day, being a fan of the visiting team? I know you Texans take your football pretty damn seriously, so I have a feeling this is going to be an experience like no other, so Im not quite sure what to expect...

Greg

Lt-AWACS

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Well I hope you don't have as bad a time as I had in Boulder a few years ago. We won, but some drunk idiots were not cool. Other than that nice time actually  Wink

You should be fine. I'll assume you will be sitting in the NW corner of the stadium; that is where the visiting section block is-unless of course you just have random tickets. The crowd will be loud, and I am sure some of the students drunk Big grin Being that this is not a big rivalry you should have a good time.

Capt-AWACS, Future Houston Mayor

luisde8cd

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Try going to the Oasis Restaurant by Lake Travis, during sunset it is an amazing place. Have fun at the game.

Hook'em horns!

Luis