carmenlu15

Geography In The American Continent(s)

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:20 am

Geography, just like politics and Airbus vs Boeing, is a subject that was, is, and will be discussed endlessly by a.netters. Different countries teach different systems, thus everyone has his/her own intake on the subject.

I learned in school that America is one single continent, divided in three regions: North America, South America, and this earthly paradise also known as Central America  Smile. However, I have seen that many people learned that North America is one continent and South America is another continent.

Since this is an international site, I'd like to know what a.nutters around the world think about it: is America one or two continents? I don't think it can be concluded whether anyone is right or wrong, but it will be interesting to hear different opinions...

Greetings from the Land of Eternal Spring  wave 
Carmen
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ANCFlyer

RE: Geography In The American Continent(s)

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:24 am

Long conversation on this topic several weeks ago . . . .

Do some search on the forum, you should find it.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HT

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 am

In german language it is most often referred to as North America and South America (with Latin America being *only* a region) = 2 continents.

When I have to refer to it in English, I usually use "The Americas" as 1 continent (although the word itself is plural).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

KLMA330

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 am

North America (Canada, the US and Mexico)

South America (everything south of Mexico)

Not saying this is correct, just how I think of it  Smile

bongo

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 am

I've learned in my school when I was a child that America is only one continent. That means South, Central and North America is only one continent.

[Edited 2005-08-17 23:43:15]

[Edited 2005-08-17 23:43:42]
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

Superfly

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:47 am

But we're the real Amerikans gawd damn it!  biting 

just kidding.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

garnetpalmetto

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:10 am

I was always taught two continents - North America and South America. North America being composed of everything from Canada to Panama, including the West Indies. South America is everything else.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Derico

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:47 am

I learned it like this: North America, Central America, South America... and Argentina.

Signed,
The United Provinces of the South
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

carmenlu15

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Do some search on the forum, you should find it.

Been there, done that, found nothing... Then again, I may have overlooked it, feel free to post a link.  Smile

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
But we're the real Amerikans gawd damn it!

In your country, you may call yourselves whatever you want, but outside the U.S. borders you shall be referred to as gringos.  Wink

Quoting Derico (Reply 7):
North America, Central America, South America... and Argentina.

So all the boludo jokes have some truth to them...  scratchchin  Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Basas

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:17 am

Always learned: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Antarctica and Australia.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:22 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 8):
referred to as gringos. Wink

interesting! but can you tell where that expression "gringo" comes from ?

QANTASforever

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:24 am

I was always taught that there were 6 continents: The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica.

Despite the Panama Canal, the connection continues through the bridge of the Americas - so I still consider you all to be part of one continent.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Superfly

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:36 am

Carmenlu15:
That was intended to be a joke. I was poking fun at the way some people here think.
Bring back the Concorde

carmenlu15

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
That was intended to be a joke.

No worries, I was also joking!

Derico

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 8):
So all the boludo jokes have some truth to them...

And we are the best boludos in the world!!  dopey   eyebrow 

Hope to visit your unique country one day. Chau!
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

LHMark

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:51 am

I'm American. I thought I didn't know anything about geography.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

USAFHummer

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 6):
I was always taught two continents - North America and South America. North America being composed of everything from Canada to Panama, including the West Indies. South America is everything else.

Ditto this version of it...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

iakobos

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:38 am

Since when has Australia be promoted to the rank of continent ?
(note: I am not asking by whom, this seems obvious...)

Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania, America, Antarctica

ANCFlyer

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 17):
Since when has Australia be promoted to the rank of continent ?

Well, since forever . . . .  biggrin 

Europe, Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Antarctica and Australia (which includes Oceana) . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

senorcarnival

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:56 am

I was taught that there is a South, Central and North America. When me and a friend worked in the same office, one of our bosses contended that Antarctica isn't really a continent since they don't send any athletes to the Olympics and thus are not represented in the 5 rings logo.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

searpqx

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 11):
the connection continues through the bridge of the Americas - so I still consider you all to be part of one continent.

By that logic Europe, Asia and even Africa are all one continent . . .

I was taught (as are most kids in the US) that North and South America are seperate continents, and Central America is part of the North American continent.

The best current description is from Wikipedia:
The 7-continent model is usually taught in Western Europe, the United States and Canada, Australia, and much of Asia. The 6-continent combined-America model is taught in Japan, Iran, and Latin America. The 6-continent Eurasia model is preferred by the scientific community, and as such is commonly found in all parts of the world, but is especially used in Russia and other countries of Eastern Europe. Historians may use the 5-continent Laurasian model (Jared Diamond) or the 4-continent Afrasian model (Andre Gunder Frank).
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

QANTASforever

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:48 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 20):
By that logic Europe, Asia and even Africa are all one continent . . .

No, not quite. The Americas are one continent that were physically separated by man. It was all at one stage considered one continent. I'm just saying that the physical separation of North and South American by the Panama canal does not two continents make.

QFF

MAH4546

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 21):
I'm just saying that the physical separation of North and South American by the Panama canal does not two continents make.

And the ocean that divides Europe and Asia makes them two continents? Oh, wait.

I understand what you are saying, but if you follow that theory, then how do you consider Europe and Asia seperate?
a.

QANTASforever

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:59 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 22):
And the ocean that divides Europe and Asia makes them two continents? Oh, wait.

I'm talking about perceptions of geography, not actual geogaphy.

QFF

AA767400

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 23):
I'm talking about perceptions of geography, not actual geogaphy.

There is nothing that divides Eastern Europe with Western Asia. So why would they not be one continent by your theory? But then again there is something called Eurasia.
"The low fares airline."

QANTASforever

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 24):
There is nothing that divides Eastern Europe with Western Asia. So why would they not be one continent by your theory? But then again there is something called Eurasia.

Okay, let me make this clear. The Americas were once considered one continent. I believe that despite the creation of the Panama Canal, they still are. Europe, Asia, and Africa were never popularly considered one continent in the modern era. You see what I mean?

QFF

EZEIZA

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:24 pm

I was taught that it is one continent divided into three main regions, or sub-continents. But generally, you have North America (Canada, the US and Mexico), Central America (From Southern Mexico to Colombia) and South America (From Colombia down). Then you have the term "Latin America" which is mainly because of the languajes (all from latin origin) that "unites" the entire continent except the US and Canada.
but at the end of the day, it's not that big a deal right  Smile ?

saludos from South America/Latin America Big grin
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

KiwiNanday

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:32 pm

http://www.cdxa.org/images/world_flat_map_lg.jpg

Each continent is a different color...
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

Fokker Lover

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
Europe, Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Antarctica and Australia (which includes Oceana)

I could never bring myself to consider Oceana as a Continent. New Zealand is not attached to Australia, Which is a Continent on it's own.

I consider England a part of Europe because it is a swimmable distance to the rest of Europe.

Years ago when Continents were being invented, Somebody came up with a definition as an incredibly huge land mass. The Europeans (or somebody) said, " Hey, we have enough for 3." (Asia, Africa, and Europe. Also divided into majority of races.) Somebody over here stood up and said, " Hey, put us down for 2 then. We even have some leftovers in the middle." (North & South America) The Australian candidate sobered up and said, " Bloody hell, we only have enough for one, but it's all ours damn it, and we're not sharing." Then one day somebody was standing on that block of ice we call Antarctica and said,"Hey, did you know there's freaking dirt under all of this ice? We even have enough to make a continent. Woo-Hoo number 7" Anything else is just an island.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

vivek0072

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:09 am

I got a mail long time back, the subject of which read "how geography is taught in American schools"

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8996/howgeographyistaughtinamerica3.gif
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 28):
Years ago when Continents were being invented, Somebody came up with a definition as an incredibly huge land mass. The Europeans (or somebody) said, " Hey, we have enough for 3." (Asia, Africa, and Europe. Also divided into majority of races.) Somebody over here stood up and said, " Hey, put us down for 2 then. We even have some leftovers in the middle." (North & South America) The Australian candidate sobered up and said, " Bloody hell, we only have enough for one, but it's all ours damn it, and we're not sharing." Then one day somebody was standing on that block of ice we call Antarctica and said,"Hey, did you know there's freaking dirt under all of this ice? We even have enough to make a continent. Woo-Hoo number 7" Anything else is just an island.

rotfl 

Works for me.

KiwiNanday has a good map - that's the one I like . . . .

BigOrange

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:34 am

In England we were always taught that there were 7 continents.

Africa, Asia, North America and South America, Australasia, Antartica, Africa

Note the Australasia rather than Australia

dvk

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:44 am

was always taught that there were 6 continents: The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica.

I hear what you're saying, but logic absolutely defies Europe and Asia being separate continents if the Americas are a single continent. As taught in our schools, the Americas have always been two continents, and the construction of the Panama Canal had nothing to do with that designation.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

bsbisland

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:01 am

For you guys who divides America in South and North only: Panama, Guatemala, Costa Rica and so on is South or North America?

Well, I´ve learned South, Central and North America

rgs

MD11junkie

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:38 am

Awrite, here's my point of view.

I've always been taught that The Americas is just one continent (America), sub divided into South America, Central America and North America.

Then, it would be... America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania (Australia and NZ, etc) and Anctartica (Antártida).

Quoting Derico (Reply 7):
I learned it like this: North America, Central America, South America... and Argentina.

Signed,
The United Provinces of the South

Yeah! The truth is out there! Big grin
Long live El Federalisimo! LOL...

Signed,
Las Provincias Unidas del Sur.

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

redngold

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:18 am

I definitely was taught that there are seven continents... I never even thought that there were any different ideas.  scratchchin   eyepopping 

I suppose I've thought of there being seven in a scientific manner based on plate tectonics... But then again, there are something between 13 and 20 tectonic plates, so that isn't much basis.

redngold
Up, up and away!

N1120A

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:36 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 3):
North America (Canada, the US and Mexico)

South America (everything south of Mexico)

Much like several others, I know it as Panama being the last country in North America

Despite the Panama Canal, the connection continues through the bridge of the Americas - so I still consider you all to be part of one continent.

Then what about Europe, Asia and Africa all being connected one way or another?

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 20):
Historians may use the 5-continent Laurasian model (Jared Diamond)

A bit of nit picking here, but Jared Diamond is an Anthropologist
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

QANTASforever

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Then what about Europe, Asia and Africa all being connected one way or another?

Please allow me to explain this again so it is crystal clear. OK?

I learned that the Americas are all one continent. Others have learned that they are two separate continents. I pointed out that to those, like me, who had learned that the Americas were one continent - did not believe that as a result of the physical separation of North and South with the Panama Canal, that two continents were created.

A continent does not have to be completely surrounded by ocean to make it a continent.

It all boils down to perception. Geographic connection is not the only thing that makes me think the Americas are one continent. In many many ways they are one continent. On the other hand, Asia, Africa, and Europe are not all part of one continent. This is because geography alone does not define a continent, cultures do.

It is illogical but that is the way many of us learned how it works. Yes, there is a double standard with Eurasiafrica and the Americas - but it's just the way things are.

Do you all understand or will I have to draw something on Paint?

QFF

USAFHummer

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 29):
I got a mail long time back, the subject of which read "how geography is taught in American schools"

That map is shown on the first day of pretty much every geography course I've taken at college thus far (as a joke of course!)...

Greg

searpqx

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 40):
did not believe that as a result of the physical separation of North and South with the Panama Canal, that two continents were created.

Better dig out MSPaint  Silly

I understand your argument, but your implication is that up until the Panama Canal was built, the world as a whole considered North & South America as one continent, and it was only after it was in place that some of us chose to consider the Americas as two continents. In fact, as early as the mid 19th century North and South America were commonly considered as two continents by many geographers.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Marambio

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:18 am

I will try to be as neutral as possible, just to show you guys there are some serious Argentine people - unlike my fellow friends that have previously posted!  Smile

I was taught The Americas are one continent, called America. America can be divided into three subregions:

• North America (Canada, the USA and Mexico)
  • Central America (everything from Guatemala and Guatepeor  Silly to the Panama Canal)
  • South America (everything from the Panama Canal to the Drake Passage)

As for the rest of the continents, we have: Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.

And of course there is a 7th continent, known both as Heaven or as Argentina. Big grin

Saludos,
    Marambio
  • Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

pdxtriple7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:20 am

I've always learned that America is divided into South America and North America that are continents. Central America is just something inbetween (part of north america to the Panama Canal). I think Europe isn't really a continent...but that's another story!

USAFHummer

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 am

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 44):
    Central America is just something inbetween (part of north america to the Panama Canal).

The Panama Canal runs clear through Panama alone and is not an international border...All of Panama is traditionally considered "Central America"...The Panama-Colombia border would be the divider between Central (which is part of North) and South America...

Greg

pdxtriple7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:32 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 45):
    The Panama Canal runs clear through Panama alone and is not an international border...All of Panama is traditionally considered "Central America"...The Panama-Colombia border would be the divider between Central (which is part of North) and South America...

Oops, I'm an idiot. I confused what it should be (just kidding) with reality.

ha763

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:04 pm

For many years the children of the United States have always been taught of 7 continents because it is based on plate tectonics/continental drift. We are taught that all the continents at one time, about 225 million years ago, were one supercontinent known as Pangaea. Due to plate tectonics, Pangaea began to break up. North and South America are considered seperate continents because they are on seperate tectonic plates and were seperate landmasses before joining up again as we see in the present day. However, for some reason we are taught that Europe is a seperate continent even though I don't see Europe being on a seperate techtonic plate from Asia.

QANTASforever

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:07 pm

Quoting Marambio (Reply 43):
    As for the rest of the continents, we have: Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica

Ahem, aren't we forgetting something?

QFF

BA

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:18 pm

The entire definition of continents is somewhat vague. The continents are really more of a political, cultural or geographical concept as they do not exactly follow the earth's plates, although are close.

North America and South America are on separate plates and are only loosely connected by the narrow country of Panama which is why they are regarded as separate continents. Panama can be viewed as a "bridge." The South American plate however extend up around Mexico, however the entire Central American states are considered part of North America. So even in the case of North America/South America, the separate plates do not exactly divide the continents as we have divided them. Central America is considered part of North America because it gets wider as you head towards North America. On the other hand, it gets narrower as you head towards South America. The Panama Canal is roughly where the narrowest piece of land connecting the Americas is, however the entire country of Panama is considered part of Central America which is a part of North America, so even this "narrowest area" concept doesn't clearly define the division of the two continents.

Africa is loosely connected to Asia by the Suez canal. Before the Suez Canal was constructed, it was just a thin piece of land connecting the Sinai Peninsula with the rest of Egypt. This thin connection between the Sinai Peninsula and Africa is made possible thanks to the Gulf of Suez. Africa, however at the same time is on its own plate. It also shares a common culture distinct from the rest of the world (the North African states however are more closely tied to the Middle East, but that's only a minor exception really).

Europe is a prime example of a continent defined based on politics and culture. Europe shares the same plate that Asia is on, the Eurasian plate and by looking at it from a geographic point of view, it just looks like a big peninsula sticking out of Asia and should be just part of the Asian continent. However, it is culturally and politically very distinct from Asia which is why it is regarded as a separate continent. The Bosphorus in Turkey, the Black Sea, and the Ural Mountains in Russia are regarded as the divide between Europe and Asia which in some cases is odd. If we are going to talk about it from a cultural perspective, I can tell you from experience that the areas around the city of Istanbul in Turkey is the same regardless of what side of the Bosphorus you are on. Russia also does not instantly transform from being "European" to "Asian" when you cross the Ural Mountains. Infact, many consider all of Russia to be "European" its many native Asian tribes (in which Russia expanded its realm to during the Imperial Russia days under the the Tsars). Another example is the Caucasus nations of Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan which for many years people around the world were debating whether they are "Asian" or "European." Not too long ago, the Europeans concluded that they have more in common with Europe than with Asia and are thus now considered European...yet they reside in Asia?

Iceland is split between the North American plate and the Eurasian plate. However the entire country is considered part of Europe, not half in Europe and half in North America.

I think Europe is the most complex and most debated in regards to its continent status. It's definately the most difficult case.

Australia is regarded as a continent as it is on its own plate (which extends far beyond Australia) and because it is such a large landmass and not connected to Asia. It's an island large enough to be classified as its own continent. If you think about it, every landmass is surrounded by water, so would that make every landmass an island? I guess not, I guess there is a size limit in which if it is the size of Australia or larger, it is a continent or part of a continent. Culturally, Australia is very distinct from the rest of Asia. It's culture however extends far beyond the country of Australia. The entire Oceania region which includes Australia share a common culture which is a mix of European and Polynesian cultures. So should the continent include the small Polynesian islands, New Zealand, and actually be called Oceania instead of Australia?

If Europe is given continent status, then perhaps some could argue that the Arabian Peninsula should be given continent status. Afterall, it is a peninsula jutting out of Asia and although it isn't as big as Europe, it is still quite big. It also shares a culture distinct from the rest of Asia. As I said earlier, I guess the general rule however is that any landmass surrounded by water on at least 3 sides (the general definition of a peninsula), and is the size of Australia or larger is a continent or part thereof. Since the Arabian Peninsula is smaller than Australia, then I guess it doesn't deserve continent status if you believe in this rule.

Greenland is considered part of North America as it is on the North American plate. However it is fairly large in size (Mercator projections of the Earth make it appear larger than it really is, but that's besides the point) and is surrounded by water separating it physically from the North American mainland (specifically the Canadian Arctic islands which are all clustered close to each other). Politically however, it is owned by Denmark which is in Europe. Culturally however, it shares the same general culture of the Canadian arctics as they are both largely inhabited by Arctic Native American groups, namely the Inuits.

What is the strict definition of a continent? There isn't one... Some are defined by politics/culture, some are defined by geography, while none exactly follow the outline of the Earth's plates (geology). For one, there are more than seven tectonic plates if you include the numerous minor ones such as the Caribbean Plate...

Antarctica is the only continent that is defined by all these rules of a continent and thus is the only one which hasn't broken the "rulebook." It is on its own plate, it is geographically separated as it is a large landmass surrounded by water, and it has a distinct culture and politics (it's practically uninhabitted!).

I have an idea, let's just forget about the concept of continents. We all reside on planet Earth.  Smile

Regards
    "Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

QANTASforever

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:30 pm

Brilliant post BA.

I will say that the geographic dimensions of europe are a fascinating topic - one I have recently undertaken to study.

Is Europe defined by borders or by cultures?

Whole can of worms right there, I know.

QFF

LOT767-300ER

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:31 pm

BA: I can see the bloody map mate!  Silly You dont have to analyze the obvious  Silly

glydrflyr

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:16 am

Reply 10 - Where does expression "Gringo" come from?

This is a corruption of the words of a song sung by U. S. troops during the late 1800s. The words are "Green grow the lilacs", thus "Gringo" from "green grow".
    Now, anyone want to know where the expression "Tawdry" came from? I hope not, 'cause I'm going to have to make up that explanation, too!

Just kidding about making up the origins of the expressions.
    if ya gotta crash, hit something soft and cheap!