flyAUA

How To Make Sushi... Tips?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:56 am

Hi all,

So tomorrow I am going to try to make Sushi at home for the first time. I've got a friend coming over as a Guinea Pig. So I was just wondering if any of the regular cooks in here (like me Big grin ) have ever made Sushi before because I haven't! And if so, then do you have any advice? It all seems so straight forward, but something is telling me it's not  Silly

BTW, I will be making the one with the rice rolled in those leaves with salmon/tuna in the middle.

Thanks in advance!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

PipoA380

RE: How To Make Sushi... Tips?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:57 am

My girlfriend would be able to help you, she's not here right now actually  Wink
If I can give you an advice, try to use algues, fish and rice  rotfl  sorry I can't help you much more!

Glad to see'ya again FlyAUA! Cheers, Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 1):
My girlfriend would be able to help you, she's not here right now actually

Ok, but feel free to pass on any information if you get it eventually  Wink

If I can give you an advice, try to use algues, fish and rice sorry I can't help you much more!

Yeah... that seems to be what I bought in the supermarket before even looking at a Sushi recipe  Silly

And I also got that special rice-vinegar, and one of those bamboo rolling mats  Smile

Glad to see'ya again FlyAUA! Cheers, Philippe

Thanks! Glad to be back... I've been quite busy at work and then been "having a live" in the evenings, so not online much. As you can see, tonight I am bored, and have no life again  tongue 

Logan22L

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:11 am

Well, at the risk of insulting you, I'll start by saying you MUST use sushi grade tuna or salmon. Otherwise you do run the risk of a trip to the emergency room.

Anyway, there are a few tricks:

Buy sushi rice. It is short grain and has just the right amount of starch. There is also something sold at Asian markets called sushi spice, which you add to the rice to give it that unique sushi flavor. Roll lightly in sesame seeds for a nice touch, and add some flying fish roe.

"Inside Out" rolls are far easier to make, IMO. These have seaweed wrapping the contents, but the rice on the outside of this. Use a sushi rolling mat that is wrapped in plastic wrap. Keep your hands and fingers slightly damp - have a bowl of water nearby. My favorite is smoked eel and avocado. Perhaps not "Sushi" to the purest, as it is cooked, but yummy. The tuna and salmon work very nicely also.

Good luck!

[Edited 2005-08-20 23:38:19]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 3):

Haha, ok thanks for those tips. On some occasions I had no clue what you're talking about but I understood most of it. I forgot to add: the salmon is smoked and the tuna is boiled. And there is no need to worry because they are either fresh, or will be consumed on the spot  Wink

clipperhawaii

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Thread starter):
I will be making the one with the rice rolled in those leaves with salmon/tuna in the middle.

Leaves? LOL It's called nori and it's seaweed. Do you have a bamboo matt to roll this sushi with? If not you better get one.

I smell fish....errrrr..failure. Visit a sushi bar and enjoy!

It all seems so straight forward, but something is telling me it's not

You got that right. Tekka maki san. Be prepared to be dissapointed but have fun doing it!
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 5):
Leaves? LOL It's called nori and it's seaweed.

Yes that's what I meant  Silly

Do you have a bamboo matt to roll this sushi with?

Yep, bought one of those too...

I smell fish....errrrr..failure. Visit a sushi bar and enjoy!

If I had to do that everytime I craved sushi, I would have been broke a looooong time ago.

Be prepared to be dissapointed but have fun doing it!

Hey, you have no faith in me. If those peeps at the Sushi Bar can do it, then so can I!

Logan22L

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 4):
the salmon is smoked and the tuna is boiled

Wow!  Wow!

Dude, find some sushi grade tuna and eat it the way it was meant to be eaten! Raw!

Espion007

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:41 am

why not go a little easier and make sashimi-just thinly slice up the fish and put the raw fish on a platter with some other stuff Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:43 am

Just drop a whole trout in a blender and add a little water. Puree for one minute. All you have to do is drink it. Saves a lot of time.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 7):
Dude, find some sushi grade tuna and eat it the way it was meant to be eaten! Raw!

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 8):
raw fish

Because I don't like raw fish  yuck 

Even when I eat Sushi at a restaurant/bar, I can only eat veggie sushi, or the ones with boiled/smoked fish. I would never eat it raw, or prepare it raw at home.

Matt27

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:57 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 2):
I've been quite busy at work and then been "having a live"

Having a life...that must be new to you. Big grin

//Mattias
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 11):
Having a life...that must be new to you. Big grin

Psssssht, don't tell them Matt  ziplip 

Mexicana757

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:02 am

Make sure you take pictures of your final work and your friends' reaction while he is eating the sushi. And post them on here.  spin 

Matt27

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 12):
Quoting Matt27 (Reply 11):
Having a life...that must be new to you.

Psssssht, don't tell them Matt

Is there anything to tell???  Big grin

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 13):
Make sure you take pictures of your final work and your friends' reaction while he is eating the sushi. And post them on here.

I'll do my best  Wink

Logan22L

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
Just drop a whole trout in a blender and add a little water. Puree for one minute. All you have to do is drink it. Saves a lot of time.

Actually, I'm not sure you can put a trout in the Bass-o-Matic.

Signed,

Dan Akroyd

FDXmech

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:00 am

I'll start by saying you MUST use sushi grade tuna or salmon. Otherwise

Absolutely correct. But don't neglect to mention the importance of sushi grade mayonnaise.
You're only as good as your last departure.

prosa

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:54 am

It's best to freeze the fish before using it in sushi, in order to kill any parasites. This isn't necessary with tuna, which is almost always parasite-free.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ha763

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:03 am

And if so, then do you have any advice?

First thing to know, is to cook the correct type of rice. As said before, you need to use short grain rice. You must also cook the rice correctly. It has to be sticky. I've never had to do this (every local family in Hawaii has a rice cooker), but you can properly cook the rice in a pot. Too much water and you get mush, too little, too hard. After cooking, you need to fluff the rice and mix in the correct amount of sushi rice vinegar. I recommend doing this in another container since cooking rice in a pot over the stove tends to burn the rice on the bottom of the pot, plus you need to cool the rice before making sushi.

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 6):
Hey, you have no faith in me. If those peeps at the Sushi Bar can do it, then so can I!

Rolling maki sushi is a lot harder than it looks. My family makes maki sushi every year for New Year's and even though I have been doing it for years, I still can't get it just right. The perfect rolled sushi has all the contents perfectly centered all the way through.

My favorite is smoked eel and avocado. Perhaps not "Sushi" to the purest, as it is cooked, but yummy.

Many people mistakenly associate sushi with only raw fish. Sushi can and is made with many different cooked ingredients. However, avocado is what makes your favorite sushi "unpure."

Quoting PROSA (Reply 18):
It's best to freeze the fish before using it in sushi, in order to kill any parasites.

Freezing will change the texture of the fish, making it unsuitable for use in sushi or as sashimi. Fish meant to be sold as fresh is never frozen and is always packed in regular ice or gel ice for shipping.

AirplanePeanut

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:05 am

jafa39

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:23 am

don't cook the fish!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

aa61hvy

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:41 pm

Be careful with the tuna, I ate some bad tuna fish, man I threw up more than I had in my entire life. Ill never eat tuna fish again.
Go big or go home

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:35 pm

Ok people, thanks again for all the tips. I am going to start the "impossible" task now and see what happens... LOL Big grin

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 19):
First thing to know, is to cook the correct type of rice. As said before, you need to use short grain rice. You must also cook the rice correctly. It has to be sticky. I've never had to do this (every local family in Hawaii has a rice cooker), but you can properly cook the rice in a pot. Too much water and you get mush, too little, too hard. After cooking, you need to fluff the rice and mix in the correct amount of sushi rice vinegar. I recommend doing this in another container since cooking rice in a pot over the stove tends to burn the rice on the bottom of the pot, plus you need to cool the rice before making sushi.

The rice I am using is special sushi rice as you have suggested. It does look incredibly short grain to me (almost round in fact) and not like the usual rice I use to cook (basmati). Instructions say 100g of rice with 250ml of water and let simmer 10 mins on low heat till it's absorbed. So good luck to me, I'm going to start now!

Regards,
Moe  wave 

monteycarlos

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:55 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 23):
The rice I am using is special sushi rice as you have suggested. It does look incredibly short grain to me (almost round in fact) and not like the usual rice I use to cook (basmati). Instructions say 100g of rice with 250ml of water and let simmer 10 mins on low heat till it's absorbed. So good luck to me, I'm going to start now!

Just buy the sushi you sod. You're going to screw it up.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 24):
Just buy the sushi you sod. You're going to screw it up.

We'll see about that!!   

You have no idea how incredibly talented I am Big grin

[Edited 2005-08-21 14:12:06]

monteycarlos

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:20 pm

Have you got the bamboo rolling mat yet?

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 26):
Have you got the bamboo rolling mat yet?

Affirm sir Big grin

monteycarlos

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Ok, so next thing you need to buy is a rice cooker... buy that, and then you won't screw it up trying to cook it.

Then simply put some seaweed on the mat, followed by rice and other other raw stuff and roll it up!

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 28):
Ok, so next thing you need to buy is a rice cooker... buy that, and then you won't screw it up trying to cook it.

I just finished cooking the rice, and it looks fine. More moist than usual rice (as the package said) but not too mushy and I added the vinegar. I need to wait for it to cool down now before I do the rest *gets hungry*

flyAUA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:11 am

Alright! So far so good. I've finished making the rolls and "glued" the end together with some water. All I need to do now is cut the rolls to make the thin slices. I noticed some perforation in the Nori leaves but these are not noticable anymore once it has been rolled.

Is there any special way to get the roll into slices without ruining all the work and distorting the shape? Just curious. Otherwise I'll just try it with a sharp wet knife.

Cheers!

Edit:

OK I am finally done. So much work. Now I understand why this stuff is not cheap. It might not look perfect, but for the first attempt I'm quite proud of myself, and it DOES taste good BTW, I tried one  Wink

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/mmousa82/sushi.jpg

[Edited 2005-08-21 17:43:23]

Mir

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:03 am

Looks pretty good to me. Congrats!

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:07 am

Looks good! My #1 favorite food!! What time can we come over!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

Matt27

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:07 am

Well done, Moe  bigthumbsup 

It does look OK to me, not bad for beeing the first time.

flyAUA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 32):
Looks good! My #1 favorite food!! What time can we come over!

If you bring a bottle of wine along with ya, you're welcome anytime  Wink

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 33):
Well done, Moe

It does look OK to me, not bad for beeing the first time.

Thanks! Next time (which will be in a LOOOOOONG time) we'll do it together mister Chef  Smile

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:14 am

Ill bring a whole case of it!!

G
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

prosa

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 19):
Freezing will change the texture of the fish, making it unsuitable for use in sushi or as sashimi. Fish meant to be sold as fresh is never frozen and is always packed in regular ice or gel ice for shipping.

I have to disagree. As far as I know, all fish other than tuna must be frozen before use in sushi or sashimi, due to parasites.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Mexicana757

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 34):

Nice work, now where is the picture for your friends reaction when he had his first bite??  wink 

ha763

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 30):
Is there any special way to get the roll into slices without ruining all the work and distorting the shape? Just curious. Otherwise I'll just try it with a sharp wet knife.

The best way is to first wipe down a sharp knife with the vinegar and after every cut or use a whole citrus fruit to clean the blade after every cut. Water doesn't work as well.

Just some constructive criticism...I feel that you put in too much tuna. Also, you may want to squeeze out the moisture from the tuna before cooking as it will pack and hold together better.

flyAUA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:54 pm

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 37):
Nice work, now where is the picture for your friends reaction when he had his first bite??

Well, we never agreed I'd take a picture of that! Anyways, it was a very satisfied, pleased, face expression if that helps  Wink

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 38):
The best way is to first wipe down a sharp knife with the vinegar and after every cut or use a whole citrus fruit to clean the blade after every cut. Water doesn't work as well.

Yeah I sort of realised that as well. The rice was very sticky, it was a nightmare. It caused rice grains to sometimes be in places they shouldn't be. Next time I'll try the lemon trick!

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 38):
Just some constructive criticism...I feel that you put in too much tuna. Also, you may want to squeeze out the moisture from the tuna before cooking as it will pack and hold together better.

Always open for constructive criticism. Thanks for the tip  Smile

WellHung

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:58 pm

in addition to the above...

-before cooking the rice, put it in a strainer and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear.

-to cool the rice faster, lay out a sheet of aluminum foil and spread the rice on it in a thin layer.

-toast the nori over a gas stove (textured side down) or in the oven for a while. it won't be as chewy as it is untoasted.

-instead of just using water to keep your fingers wet, use salt water. it works much better and can also be used to wet the knife while cutting the rolls. and if your knife isn't as sharp as possible, it won't matter what you use.

-add chili paste for flavor and spice

Turtle

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:14 am

Hey Logan22L,
Ever been to Sea to You??

Turtle

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:20 am

FlyAUA,

Not bad for a first time. It is harder than it looks but, if
you continue to do it, it becomes easy pretty quick.
Try an "inside out" roll, as Logan22L pointed out, it is a
little easier

flyAUA

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Turtle (Reply 42):
FlyAUA,

Not bad for a first time. It is harder than it looks but, if
you continue to do it, it becomes easy pretty quick.
Try an "inside out" roll, as Logan22L pointed out, it is a
little easier

Apparently there was other criticism BTW. My colleague only mentioned this at work  mischievous 

There was too much nori. Next time I need to either cut it shorter, or make the spiral shaped one with more rice in it to make it less chewy. And thanks for all the other tips  Smile

Turtle

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:59 am

Toasting the nori takes much of the chewieness away. Even if the package says "pre-toasted", do it anyway.

Do this by briefly passing the sheet over a gas flame or electric burner. Or you could stick it a small toaster oven with the heat on high. It will be ready when the nori turns a more brilliant green. The toasting process is quick and there is very little threshold between done and burnt. You may burn a couple of sheets before you get the hang of it.

bhmbaglock

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:14 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 4):
I forgot to add: the salmon is smoked and the tuna is boiled.

Boiled tuna? Might as well use Starkist.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Matt27

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:58 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 30):

Hey Moe. This is what sushi is suppose to look like:

Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

flyAUA

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 am

In my sequel to part one... I was at my friends house today where we made sushi together [the proper way]. Looked much better and the nori worked much better too when not using the whole leaf. But she forced me to make it with raw fish!!! EEK! It did taste good, but the thought of it was  yuck 

We used crabs or whatever those things are called, salmon, avocados, cucumbers, and just mixed 1 or more ingredients according to how skillfull we felt. In the end it worked out quite nicely although the thin roll wasn't perfect the first time round, but the second time round we got the hang of it. Apparently what we made were the simple ones (thin roll) and californian ones (thick roll). See pics below for a laugh Big grin

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/mmousa82/sushiadventure_0062.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/mmousa82/sushiadventure_0066.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/mmousa82/sushiadventure_0068.jpg

I've had too much of it though. I could puke cus I'm so full!!!  vomit 

Matt27

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:40 am

Well done, Moe. Looks way better this time  bigthumbsup 

ha763

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 am

Much better looking. BTW, how big are the sheets of nori you buy? I don't remember seeing nori for sushi and onigiri in anything other than 7in x 8in (178mm x 203mm) sheets and they are just the right size for sushi without cutting.

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 47):
We used crabs or whatever those things are called,

Looks like imitation crab.