United Airline
Topic Author

Part Two: Do You Drink Tap Water?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 pm

I started a topic on tap water but was locked sometime ago.

I normally do except in places which tap water are not drinkable due to hygiene problem. Always in Canada, USA, Western Europe, Norway, Southern Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc and sometimes in Hong Kong when I am lazy (the water in Hong Kong is drinkable directly from the tap) though a small amount of chlorine/fluorine have been added to the water (Shouldn't be a problem). Go to: http://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/html/others/faq_wq.htm

So do you? And does the water in your home city contain chlorine and fluroline and stuffs like that? I know countries like Canada, Switzerland etc do not.....

lewis

RE: Part Two: Do You Drink Tap Water?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:22 pm

In Athens the water is OK so I always drink from the tap. I also drank tap water when I lived in Essex, although it was pretty hard, leaving salts and limescale everywhere,

allstarflyer

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
So do you? And does the water in your home city contain chlorine and fluroline and stuffs like that?

No way - my condo (rented now) has a built-in Culligan and now I buy spring water (a buck and some change at Shoppers). If I have to drink tap, I will, but I prefer having my own system, obviously due to all the chemicals that are irresponsibly dumped or just allowed to get into the system. I don't know if the problem will be fixed, ever, over here in the States. I don't know of a place in the U.S., either, where residents can be confident they can drink unpolluted water from the faucet.

-R
Living the American Dream

777236ER

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
And does the water in your home city contain chlorine and fluroline and stuffs like that? I know countries like Canada, Switzerland etc do not.....

Uh tap water nearly everywhere will contain cholorine. Tap water in most places will contain flourine, especially with the increase in tooth decay seen in the Western world.

Of course I drink tap water. Despite chemicals like chlorine and flourine, it's perfectly safe. To argue it's not, based on no empirical evidence, is similar to arguing that organic food is better for you - there's nothing to suggest it is.
Your bone's got a little machine

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:51 pm

The water in Hong Kong, Sydney and Singapore are drinkable but not tasty.

What does the water taste like in your home country?

UAL Bagsmasher

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:52 pm

Chicago water has to be one of the best tasting tap waters in the country. Even though I live in the 'burbs, we get city water here. Yes, I drink it.

Thom@s

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:55 pm

Of course I do. Tap water is about as clean as it gets here...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

flyAUA

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Why do we need a second thread on the water we drink when another one was just started yesterday???  crazy 

Anyways, no I do not drink tap water, even though it is safe to do so here, and at home in Austria.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

MarBergi

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 6):
Tap water is about as clean as it gets here...

this is actually quite true - tap water is actually cleaner (on paper anyway) than bottled natural spring water as while tap water is generally treated bottled water is not allowed to be treated and still be called natural.

[Edited 2005-08-21 16:17:23]

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 7):
Why do we need a second thread on the water we drink when another one was just started yesterday???

That's for mineral water, not tap water mate.

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 7):
Anyways, no I do not drink tap water, even though it is safe to do so here, and at home in Austria.

The water in Austria is nice. A bit sweet.

Soku39

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:32 pm

Yes, I guess I'm one of the remaining few who just can't bring themselves to pay 1-3 bucks for a small bottle of water.
The Ohio Player

CORULEZ05

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:33 pm

Some countries do have clean tap water...regardless, all incoming water into our house is filtered even bathing water....pretty crazy eh?

I have seen some people in Mexico drinking tap water...I love my country but wow, talk about risk takers!  Wink
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:10 am

In countries in Western Europe it at least is no problem, but it differs from community to community, it might be quite good in some place (like Zurich-downtown and up-lake) and so full of lime (in places like Glattbrugg near ZRH) that after a glass you need of calcium for a day or two is covered. In places like Egypt (and most of the Arab World) I would much advise against. You can use it for teeth-cleaning, but not much more. In case you HAD a glass due to having been thirsty, contact the nearest bar and ask for an Arak, dilute it with water and drink it, before embarking into other activities !

gkirk

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:11 am

Tap Water in the UK.
Bottled water when abroad.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AC777LR

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:12 am

I will only drink Tap water if I am in Canada. I find our standards the best in the world and its the only place I trust.
Member since April 2000

ME AVN FAN

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 3):
To argue it's not

�
depends on where the "water" is coming from. It may come from the hole in the street beside the hotel and be "hauled" up to the water container on top of the house
-
Cheers
-

SlamClick

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:20 am

My water is from my own well and the level is presently about 170 feet (52 meters) down. It tastes exactly like the bottled water my wife was buying at Costco which was about the same price as gasoline.

We do use bottled, distilled water in our coffee maker though.

Went to a wedding reception last night. They ran out of bottled water early and still had tons of beer and wine left. Sign of the times.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Logan22L

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:01 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 2):
No way - my condo (rented now) has a built-in Culligan and now I buy spring water (a buck and some change at Shoppers). If I have to drink tap, I will, but I prefer having my own system, obviously due to all the chemicals that are irresponsibly dumped or just allowed to get into the system. I don't know if the problem will be fixed, ever, over here in the States. I don't know of a place in the U.S., either, where residents can be confident they can drink unpolluted water from the faucet.

I'm glad you are concerned about pollutants in drinking water, but you have to realize that risk assessments have been performed on hundreds of chemicals to establish acceptable levels of ingestion. Public water systems are required to analyze for over 80 anaytes in their source water and their distribution system. Other regulations require systems to look for other contaminants that may need to be regulated in the future.

Further, many bottled waters come from the very same source water as tap water which you don't want to drink. Problem is, the same laws that force public water systems to monitor are not in place for bottled water producers! So, have your perceptions, but at least base them on reality. Do some homework on this, and you might like your tap water a bit more than your bottled.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

allstarflyer

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 17):
Do some homework on this, and you might like your tap water a bit more than your bottled.

I'll research it more then. I was taught there's a difference between tap, distilled, spring, etc. and spring is the best I like. Actually, my own Culligan is what I like, when possible.

-R
Living the American Dream

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:04 am

If there is no Filtered Alternative.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

glidepath73

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:12 am

Germany has on of the highest standard for Tap water. The hygiene is a very important point. (Even they try to reduce the necessary amount of Chlorine, in Germany you taste almost no Chlorine in the Tap water.) Here in "Schwarzwald", we have mostly excellent Tap water. I drink it very frequently. In some regions here, the water is very healthy, has a lot of minerals and is even recommended by the doctors to drink it... from the Tap.

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

Derico

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:28 am

I've been drinking tap water since I was a kid walking around with my friends in the summer heat opening my neighbor's outdoor taps, never got sick in my life. I'm very picky on drinking and eating things that are clean and fresh, but I trust the water as it is 100% potable.

In Argentina the tap water all over the country is excellent, I'd say the best in Latin America. Even in the far north near the borders, with some exceptions, everyone drinks it safely. In Patagonia you can even drink the water from creeks. I've never heard of a foreigner getting sick from Argentine tap water, and foreigners eat loads of salads and iced drinks when visiting. Every guide book like Frommers, Fordors, Lonely Planet says tap water in the country is completely safe. Smart tourists know this, but many are ignorant of this and spend loads of money unnecesarily in bottled water (which is great too), but they could have used all that cash in other things...
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

kilavoud

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:42 am

Both in Switzerland (Lausanne) and southern India (Pondicherry) I drink tap water. My both kidneys are still very nice working. Nice gift of God!

Cheers. Kilavoud.

Logan22L

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 18):
I was taught there's a difference between tap, distilled, spring, etc.

Well, there is. It depends on how you use the term "bottled" water and what the source water is. Spring water is groundwater that is naturally filtered through rock, etc. It is susceptible to contamination as is all other groundwater. It tends to taste good because of the mineral content. Keep in mind, though, that the regulations for spring and other bottled waters, are not as strict as that for Public Water Suppliers.

Distilled water is likely to be purest; however, it generally tastes flat as the minerals are removed. Bottom line, be aware of the source of your bottled water. A spring in Elizabeth, NJ is probably not going to give you cleaner water than a Public Water Supplier in Augusta, ME, for example.

Filtered tap water will give you a level of protection, but be aware that the kinetics of desorption can be very rapid, and if the filter gets saturated, you might get a slug of contamination in your next glass. Also, some filters remove volatile organics (carbon) and others metals (ion exchange resins). Just know what you're removing, and what you are not.

I say all of this because as someone whose job it is to provide technical support to EPA for drinking water regulation, don't just listen to public perception of tap water vs. bottled water. Look at the science.

rossbaku

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:54 am

Only when bottled is not available.

RossBaku

eaglekeeper101

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:35 am

"I assume this water is safe to drink? You know, I don't care if it's safe or not - I drink it anyway. Do you know why? Because I'm an American, and I expect a little cancer in my food and water."

- George Carlin  laughing 
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

Matt27

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:58 am

I drink tap water all the time. Why buy expensive bottle water when you get clean fresh water from the tap?? (And it's free too  Big grin)

//Mattias
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:01 am

It all depends. My home in ABQ - yes, its great. My home in the PHX area - NO. Hotels in Florida I will not drink Tap water and that goes with Southern California too.

I wont drink the water in Mexico - we all know that! In Asia I will drink it in Japan, NOT in Korea, Philippines or China. Europe, England, Netherlands yes France NO. India - when donkey's fly I will. I don't even Brush my teeth with that water.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:04 am

I seldom drink bottled water.

Did anyone try the tap water in Hong Kong or Singapore?

It is also very important to make sure that the tanks and the pipes are ok. Copper, plastic etc must be used for pipes and tanks must be kept clean from time to time. Otherwise the water might not be as safe as it is.

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 27):
I wont drink the water in Mexico - we all know that! In Asia I will drink it in Japan, NOT in Korea, Philippines or China. Europe, England, Netherlands yes France NO. India - when donkey's fly I will. I don't even Brush my teeth with that water.

South Korea and France should be ok. They are both developed countries.

North Korea no way.

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 27):
It all depends. My home in ABQ - yes, its great. My home in the PHX area - NO. Hotels in Florida I will not drink Tap water and that goes with Southern California too.

Why? They should be ok.

[Edited 2005-08-21 22:34:21]

andz

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:28 am

Our water is among then highest quality in the world and yes I drink the tap water, as I said in the other thread I don't subscribe to the scam of buying bottled water.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 23):
Distilled water is likely to be purest; however, it generally tastes flat as the minerals are removed. Bottom line, be aware of the source of your bottled water. A spring in Elizabeth, NJ is probably not going to give you cleaner water than a Public Water Supplier in Augusta, ME, for example

Exactly. They are tasteless and no minerals/nutrients left. I would rather go for mineral water or tap water except when clean tap water is not available in places like India.

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 23):
Filtered tap water will give you a level of protection, but be aware that the kinetics of desorption can be very rapid, and if the filter gets saturated, you might get a slug of contamination in your next glass. Also, some filters remove volatile organics (carbon) and others metals (ion exchange resins). Just know what you're removing, and what you are not.

Anyone heard of Diamond Water Energy System? Heard that it breaks down water molecules and put in nutrients and energy to improve the water quality/nutrition. It is very popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei.

Go to:

http://www.diamondwater.com

http://www.diamondenergywater.com

Increasing it is getting more and more popular in Hong Kong.

[Edited 2005-08-21 22:44:45]

jafa39

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:31 am

My house doesn't have mains water, like many Kiwis I collect rain from the roof and it collects in a 5,000 gallon tank at the back of the house, we have a filter but only add chlorine when we have Poms staying over.

I have had less sick days in NZ than at any other stage of my life, maybe its the water!

It certainly makes you learn to be careful with the stuff!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 am

Sometimes I use a filter before I drink tap water.

Does anyone have a clue what does reverse osmosis mean? Some filters work that way I know...

Guess Norway, Switzerland, New Zealand, France, Canada, parts of USA etc have the world's tastiest tap water. From what I heard the water comes from the snow mountain and they are 100% mineral water.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 31):
My house doesn't have mains water, like many Kiwis I collect rain from the roof and it collects in a 5,000 gallon tank at the back of the house, we have a filter but only add chlorine when we have Poms staying over.

Is it safe for direct consumption? Guess not....

How come there isn't any water supply? What happens if there is no/little rain?

[Edited 2005-08-22 00:31:28]

jafa39

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:44 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 32):
Is it safe for direct consumption? Guess not....

It is for Kiwi's, It can hospitalise a Pom but you build up resistance, we have a filter and when visitors stay we chuck in 10 grams of chlorine powder per 1,000 gallons and that works fine, we don't chlorinate as a matter of course for own use

How come there isn't any water supply? What happens if there is no/little rain?

Rural areas don't have a reticulated supply, as development occurs some decide not to go onto the mains, if you run out you buy a top-up from the tanker man for 140 bucks, if my family didn't visit every summer i would not need to top up ever, we get plenty of rain here but it teds to fall in heavy bursts, usually you will get a 6 week period in the summer of no rain, so you wash in the sea!!! (well not really but we do 2 minute showers)

[Edited 2005-08-22 00:44:55]
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Logan22L

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 31):
but only add chlorine when we have Poms staying over

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Perhaps a bit of fluoride would help too. Not so many teeth dropping out and getting lodged in the family dog's colon.  Wink

whitehatter

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:59 am

Does anyone have a clue what does reverse osmosis mean? Some filters work that way I know...

Like your kidneys but in reverse. Instead of salts and other chemicals moving across the barrier, they go the opposite way and leave a very pure water stream.

In your kidneys the crud moves out of your blood into your urine, leaving cleaner blood.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

ScarletHarlot

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:00 am

I guess it's not like your rainwater is all polluted with airborne industrial waste like ours tends to be in North America, eh Jafa?

In my hometown the north side of the city gets its water out of Lake Superior and if I remember correctly it is only minimally filtered and lightly chlorinated. It was always very cold, which was really nice in the summer. The south side of the city's water supply is a lake up on top of a mountain. I think it was filtered even less. Neither source had fluoride in it, and when I worked for an insurance company I found out just how much of a difference that makes in dental problems - we'd load premiums by 15 or 20% if the group was in a community without fluoride in the water.

When I went to school in Southern Ontario, we had an outbreak of cryptosporidium. A lot of people got sick from that.

Cryptosporidium has been linked to many waterborne disease outbreaks, the most notable being in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where 430,000 residents became ill, 105 of whom died. Closer to home, a 1993 outbreak in Kitchener-Waterloo resulted in an estimated 1000 persons becoming ill.

(From http://www.esemag.com/0597/giardia.html)

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 14):
I will only drink Tap water if I am in Canada. I find our standards the best in the world and its the only place I trust.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago but now I have one word for you: Walkerton. Our standards might be great, but when the province unloads responsibility for the water supply to morons who can't see further than their own pockets, bad things happen.

For those of you who are not familiar here's a link: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-70-1672/disasters_tragedies/walkerton/. Seven people died drinking tainted city water.

I use tap water for tea, although we have a reverse osmosis filter and I use water from that because it tastes so much better. We are on city well water, so the water is a bit hard. We also have a Brita filter and I use that to make stuff like lemonade. I drink bottled water, but really the only reason for this is that I just won't drink water from a glass. I find that if I have a bottle of water I will drink it and I can make sure I drink enough water.
But that was when I ruled the world

Logan22L

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 35):

Like your kidneys but in reverse. Instead of salts and other chemicals moving across the barrier, they go the opposite way and leave a very pure water stream.

Roy, you may be a Rickenbacker specialist, but you're no biochemist.  Wink

Osmosis is the process of water molecules diffusing across a semi-permeable membrane to dilute a saline soultion. In nature, water with no salts wants to go dilute salty water. Not on a global scale necessarily, but on an individual scale.

Reverse osmosis is the process whereby water is removed from areas of high salinity, thereby increasing the salt concentration on that side of the membrane. It's the water that moves, not the salts or chemicals. It's all about the water.

Thus, reverse osmosis causes contaminants to be concentrated, and then they are eliminated from the system.

NZ747

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 am

Where I live the tap water tastes like shit. I've drunk it a few times, but that was when I was too drunk to notice the fact that it tastes just like pool water with metal shavings added yuck . It many places in New Zealand, the tap water isn't as bad. The purest tap water I tried was in Christchurch (delivered naturally straight from the beautiful southern alps).

I regularly buy bottled water from the supermarket.

NZ747

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:50 pm

Does reverse osmosis remove any nutrients?

I know Amway uses an infra-red system.

SpinalTap

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 38):
The purest tap water I tried was in Christchurch (delivered naturally straight from the beautiful southern alps).

Yes Christchurch has the best tap water in the world. Aquifer water from the Southern Alps naturally filtered underground. The water is so pure that it does not require any treatment whatsoever.
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Some cities even export their tap water, like Melbourne from what I heard.

Euclid

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:37 pm

As Andz said above, our tap water is of very high quality. The only reason I buy and drink bottled water is for the variety of very delicious flavours that are available.

ryanb741

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Well I have 2 houses. In London I will drink tap water. In my house in Bangkok the water is allegedly safe to drink but we have a water purifier that the water goes through first.

The Thai water tastes much better, but obviously it has been purified to take all the muck out of it
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

MD11Engineer

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:20 pm

I drink tap water at home all the time.
Berlin water comes from deep wells (Berlin is literally built on 800 meters of sand and gravel, the wells are betwen 50 meters and 150 meters deep). It is quite hard though and, as it comes from the wells, contains iron and manganese salts. The iron and manganese gets removed by spraying the water in big towers in the water works, thereby oxydising the two metals into unsoluble compounds, which coagulate and are then removed in sand filters. AFAIK, sterilisation is done by exposure to UV rays.
Bacteriological samples are taken every hour. Berlin water works have chlorine equipment for emergencies, but usually don't have to use it because the water, as it comes from the wells, is clean enough to pass the very strict bateriological requirements. There was only one facility, where they chlorinated the water in Berlin, this facility was providing the water for the American military installations during the cold war and the American military insisted to have it taste of chlorine.

Cologne water comes AFAIK from two sources, a dam near Siegburg and wells along the river Rhine. Since it passes the stringent standards, it is also clean, but like Berlin water, it doesn't taste of chlorine.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HT

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:22 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 39):
Does reverse osmosis remove any nutrients?

Reverse Osmosis is used to reduce the amount of dissolved minerals. The result is "Purified Water" (as stated on the lable of the bottle). If the process is made with the correct equipment, it will result in pharmceutical-grade "Purified water" (according the relevant pharmacopoeias).

Bottled purified water usually is enriched with a small amount of minerals after reverse osmosis (purified water would have no taste at all). Also it is not recommended to drink very large quantities of water w/o any minerals in it, as the different osmotic pressures of purified water and the fluids in your body can have a negative effect on your health (so the official saying goes, but I wouldn´t care !).

Quoting United Airline (Reply 39):
I know Amway uses an infra-red system.

Never heard of a water-treatment system using infrared-radiation ? What is it supposed to do ?

Re: Treating water at central points:
If the water contains too much Calcium, it will produce a white crust on your heating devices (in a coffee-maker etc.).
I know, that the water treatment plant providing my household with water uses a chemical substance called EDTA (see bottom) to reduce the amount of dissolved Calcium (and Magnesium).
Also, usually Iron is removed from the water by simply pumping air through the water: The dissolved Iron gets oxidised by the Oxygen in the air and forms a brown precipitate (Fe2O3 - for the chemists among you); the oxidised Iron is removed from the water by pumping it through a sandfilter.

Adding Chlorine:
In Germany Chlorine usually is NOT added to tap-water. Usually, the water is treated with Ozone at the source and pumped into the pipes. Only if microbiological tests at a point-of-use reveal that a limit of microbial organisms is trpped, Chlorine will be added and the pipes will be flushed (continued until positive testing is reached).

Adding Fluorine:
Unfortunately it is not done everywhere, but I´d like to see it. It HAS positive effects of the health of your teeth; but using a tooth paste with fluorine in it can get you the same effect.

I hope this little "lecture" was not too boring ?!
-HT

P.S. EDTA = Ethylenediamine Tetraacetic Acid; in commercially availabe washing detergents it is often listed (or promoted) as TAED and serves the same purpose: prevent that calcium carbonates stick onto heating device of your washing machine ...

EDIT: MD11engineer, seems I was too slow with my typing  Smile

[Edited 2005-08-22 13:25:04]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

MD11Engineer

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:42 pm

The EDTA takes the calcium and magnesium ions and forms with them soluble complex compounds, which don't leave residues.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 44):
Bottled purified water usually is enriched with a small amount of minerals after reverse osmosis (purified water would have no taste at all). Also it is not recommended to drink very large quantities of water w/o any minerals in it, as the different osmotic pressures of purified water and the fluids in your body can have a negative effect on your health (so the official saying goes, but I wouldn´t care !).

I am thinking of whether or not I should buy a water filter that uses reverse osmosis. Any recommendations?

Quoting HT (Reply 45):
Never heard of a water-treatment system using infrared-radiation ? What is it supposed to do ?

It kills the germs. There is also a filter in it that filters the water.

Quoting HT (Reply 45):
Adding Chlorine:
In Germany Chlorine usually is NOT added to tap-water. Usually, the water is treated with Ozone at the source and pumped into the pipes. Only if microbiological tests at a point-of-use reveal that a limit of microbial organisms is trpped, Chlorine will be added and the pipes will be flushed (continued until positive testing is reached).

Ozone is much better than Chlorine I think. A pity that Hong Kong uses chlorine to sterilize the water. It is drinkable straight from the tap but it might not be healthy. Go to: http://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/html/others/faq_wq.htm

Quoting HT (Reply 45):
Unfortunately it is not done everywhere, but I´d like to see it. It HAS positive effects of the health of your teeth; but using a tooth paste with fluorine in it can get you the same effect.

Fluorine causes no harm to one's health right? In Hong Kong we do have fluorine in the water.

chrisrad

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:57 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 41):
Some cities even export their tap water, like Melbourne from what I heard.

I live in Melbourne and the tap water is fine where I live, no need to buy it, never heard that we export it though?
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

A340600

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:17 pm

I drink tap water, but in Florida the waters so soft I drink bottled,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!