OPNLguy
Topic Author

Pat Robertson Calls For Chavez Assassination

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:12 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/22/D8C595H80.html

Maybe someone should hold a press conference advocating that Pat Robertson be muzzled....

(Pssst! Pat! "Thou Shalt Not Kill")
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MxCtrlr

RE: Pat Robertson Calls For Chavez Assassination

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:20 pm

Advocating killing, in the name of God...now where have I heard THAT before....Hmmmm........

Obviously Pat is working with a slightly different version of the Bible than I've previously viewed. I would love to hear what passage says its OK to assassinate the leader of another country for our own convenience.

This just goes to show that religious extremism - Christian, Jewish, Muslim or otherwise - is the REAL problem.

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

SFOMEX

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:24 pm

The fact that a religious leader calls for the assassination of a fellow human being is beyond me. I don't see a difference between him and the crazy mullahs that support terrorism.

Shame on him.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:27 pm

What is really scary is that you can now walk into any GNC and see that psycho's face grinning at you over his "Pat's Diet Shake". I say people boycott GNC (except the one in Calabasas, CA that my best friend owns) until they drop the product
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mrniji

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:30 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 1):
Advocating killing, in the name of God...now where have I heard THAT before....Hmmmm........

Lynch that fundamentalist!
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Pat's a moron...can somebody get him a suicide bomb belt to test drive in the comfort of his own home?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Arrow

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:31 pm

The fact that wingnuts like this guy actually have a broadcast pulpit to speak from, and a loyal following that thinks he's right, is the truly scary aspect of this story.

Isn't it a crime to utter a death threat in the U.S.?
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Newark777

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Well, he didn't threaten to kill him himself. I think he's just guilty of being a douche.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:38 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 6):
The fact that wingnuts like this guy actually have a broadcast pulpit to speak from, and a loyal following that thinks he's right, is the truly scary aspect of this story.

His ilk are a dime-a-dozen in the Muslim world.

[Edited 2005-08-23 06:39:09]
E pur si muove -Galileo

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

And a penny a baker's dozen in the Christian world

theCoz

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:47 pm

Uhm, what are Pat Robertson's credentials? Did he attend Bob Jones University or something?  Yeah sure

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
And a penny a baker's dozen in the Christian world

Cute. Care to list the Christian theocracies?
E pur si muove -Galileo

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Cute. Care to list the Christian theocracies?

The Vatican, Ireland (though, less and less these days), The United States of America (more and more these days)

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 1):

He's not advocating it in the name of God. He's not saying that "God commands you" or "You will go to heaven if..." or anything like that. Robertson has been sticking his nose into politics for a long time, and as far as I can tell, he was making a (stupid) policy statement not at all based on his capacity as a minister.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
The Vatican, Ireland (though, less and less these days), The United States of America (more and more these days)

There's one in that list. Now how 'bout the Muslim theocracies?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Newark777

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:29 pm

The Vatican

Damn, those few hundred old men in a country the size of my back yard sure scare the shit out of me.  Yeah sure

The United States of America (more and more these days)

Just keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you'll find something to back it up. Comparing the US to someplace such as Saudia Arabia and others is hilarious at best.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Of course, Chavez DOES at least deserve a slap in the head for comments such as this: "[People] have asked me how I can support Fidel if he's a dictator. But Cuba doesn't have a dictatorship — it's a revolutionary democracy." (source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166465,00.html

Yeah, right. How many democracies do you know have had the same leader for nearly 45 years who has never had to face a free election.

Charles

AR1300

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:40 pm

I'll have to disagree with the modus operandi, but the results of such an action woudn't be so bad....

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):
The United States of America (more and more these days)

Just keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you'll find something to back it up. Comparing the US to someplace such as Saudia Arabia and others is hilarious at best.

One phrase for you: Faith-based initiative.

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
One phrase for you: Faith-based initiative.

Please expand on that. How is that comparable to Sharia Law? Do you see the Vatican cutting off people's hands or promoting holy war against non-christians?

If you can compare the two, I suggest you sit back, have a cup of tea, and think things over.

Charles

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 19):
Please expand on that. How is that comparable to Sharia Law?

Sharia is not a true iteration of the Islamic religion. The Bush regime is trying to make "faith-based" initiatives part of US law, which is inherently atheistic

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 19):
Do you see the Vatican cutting off people's hands or promoting holy war against non-christians?

Excuse me? Are you even making that comment? Perhaps you are the one who needs to sit back with a cup of tea before I name off SAINTS who did things like that

BA

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:57 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 14):
Now how 'bout the Muslim theocracies?

1) Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
2) Islamic Republic of Iran
3) Islamic Republic of Mauritania
4) Islamic Republic of Pakistan

That's it. Saudi Arabia is not a theocracy as it is a monarchy and monarchies are forbidden in Islam.

Isn't it interesting how the US strongly backs 3 of the 4 Islamic theocracies in the world?

Earlier this month, Mauritanians overthrew President Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya while he was attending King Fahd's funeral. He was one of the most corrupt leaders in Africa and supported by guess who....the US. In 1992 and 1997, he held "elections" to make it appear as if his country was democratic. Yeah, he held elections alright... he'd have the results changed last minute so he won everytime...

Good riddance to bad rubbish...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:04 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Sharia is not a true iteration of the Islamic religion.

Sharia is the interpretation of Islam as the law of the land, which is what the 1st amendment is written to prevent.

The Bush regime is trying to make "faith-based" initiatives part of US law, which is inherently atheistic

NO NO NO!!!. U.S. is not "inherently atheistic". It is inherently secular. There is a very big difference. Being an atheist denotes that you have certain beliefs in regard to religion (namely that there isn't a God). It is no different, in that regard, than an other religion, as it presupposes a certain belief. U.S. law is intended to be secular - i.e. it is concerned with the secular world, and does not involve itself in imposing any form or religious belief on anyone (including atheism).

Charles

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:06 pm

Excuse me? Are you even making that comment? Perhaps you are the one who needs to sit back with a cup of tea before I name off SAINTS who did things like that

We are talking about TODAY. Not stupidities that were done five or ten centuries ago.

Charles

oldeuropean

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:06 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 6):

Why in this case? Doesn`t his call for the assassination of Chavez is welcomed by the US government? Doesn`t the assassination of foreign undesirably politicians by the CIA has a long history?

Axel

[Edited 2005-08-23 09:19:31]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 23):
We are talking about TODAY. Not stupidities that were done five or ten centuries ago.

How about THIS century? Does the Holocaust ring a bell?

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:14 pm

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 24):
The assassination of foreign undesirably politicans by the CIA has a long history.

A common myth, but not very true. The CIA had a breif flirtation with the practice during the early years of the cold war, until it was outlawed in the 60's. And even when it was still "legit", they did not exactly have a team of assassins. The reason why Kennedy got the Mob to go after Castro in '62 or so was because the CIA did not have any such "hit men", but the mafia did.

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 24):
Why in this case? Isn`t his call for the assassination of Chavez welcomed by the US government.

If he had said "I'm am going over there to kill him", or "I have been talking to someone who is headed over there to kill him", that would be conspiracy. Wishing out loud is not, otherwise have the population of the world would have to go to jail.

Charles

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
How about THIS century? Does the Holocaust ring a bell?

Are you saying that the motivation for the Holocaust was mainly Christians ganging up on Jews? Hate to inform you that the Nazis were a political party with an ax to grind, and their policies hardly were put in place to advance christianity. Hitler himself was an Atheist.

Charles

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 27):
Are you saying that the motivation for the Holocaust was mainly Christians ganging up on Jews? Hate to inform you that the Nazis were a political party with an ax to grind, and their policies hardly were put in place to advance christianity.

Hate to inform you, but the Pope at the time threw his support behind Hitler and basically supported the murder of more than 12 million Jews, Homosexuals, Gypsies and more

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:30 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
Hate to inform you, but the Pope at the time threw his support behind Hitler and basically supported the murder of more than 12 million Jews, Homosexuals, Gypsies and more

The pope, (in a rather cowardly manner, admitedly) did not voice his opposition to Fascist policy because the Vatican was surrounded by them, and he did not want to provoke Hitler and Mussolini into declaring the Church an enemy, seizing all church property in Europe (including the vatican) and sending all preists to concentration camps. Hitler had a particular loathing for priests, and would have done this at the slightest provocation.

Charles

searpqx

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:32 pm

Ah - so that excuses it?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 13):
He's not advocating it in the name of God.

He's a minister, making the comment during a religious broadcast. He doesn't need to say "Do it in the name of god. . . ", his position infers it.

Be honest you two - if a mullah had made the exact same statement during a sermon, you would be citing it as yet another example of how dangerous radical Islamic clerics are. Yet when a Christian minister does it, you make excuses.

And for the record, I do consider Chavez a threat to stability in the region. But that doesn't give an excuse for anyone to advocate murder, and especially a "man of god".
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:33 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 29):
Hitler had a particular loathing for priests, and would have done this at the slightest provocation.

No he wouldn't. He needed their political capital, which was given to him by the bucketfull

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
No he wouldn't. He needed their political capital, which was given to him by the bucketfull

Source?

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:51 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 30):
He's a minister, making the comment during a religious broadcast. He doesn't need to say "Do it in the name of god. . . ", his position infers it.

Ah, that changes it. I thought he made those comments during one of those political talk shows which he sometimes gets on. Caught off guard on a topic, people will sometimes bloviate on issues where they should have stayed quiet.

But the 700 Club is his TV show, and he controls the agenda and topics discussed, so there is no question of his getting a surprise question. That makes his BS a lot worse.

Charles

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 32):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

Source?

History

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
History

LOL!

Give me one source by a respectable historian. WWII is probably one of the most widely documented and researched periods in history, so you should be able to provide a source that says, as you claim, that the church and the pope gave their full support to Hitler and his policies.

Charles

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:01 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 35):
Give me one source by a respectable historian. WWII is probably one of the most widely documented and researched periods in history, so you should be able to provide a source that says, as you claim, that the church and the pope gave their full support to Hitler and his policies.

James Gelvin, Professor of History, University of California Los Angeles

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:07 pm

Text please, or a book?

Just reading "University of California" makes me suspicious right there, but I'm willing to read what he has to say.

Charles

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:13 pm

The Israel-Palestine Conflict : One Hundred Years of War

The Modern Middle East: A History

Nationalism in the Arab Middle East (The Contemporary Middle East)

cfalk

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
The Israel-Palestine Conflict : One Hundred Years of War

The Modern Middle East: A History

Nationalism in the Arab Middle East (The Contemporary Middle East)

OK, I've checked up on him, he seems to be a lessor-known but reasonably respected historian. I've looked up all I could find on stuff he's written about the Church, but have not found anything.

If you can type out the paragraph, or scan the page where he says this, I would appreciate it. It's important for me to know exactly what was said.

It might be a while before I reply - I have to get to work.

Charles

Falcon84

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 2):
The fact that a religious leader calls for the assassination of a fellow human being is beyond me. I don't see a difference between him and the crazy mullahs that support terrorism.

And this nut is one of the primo leaders of the religious right in the U.S. And many of us have been, rightfully comparing him, and the POLITICAL movement of the religious right to the crazy mullah's for a few years now. Glad to see that some people are finally getting it.

And they want to turn SC into another Iran. Lovely.

Also a dime a dozen on the pulpit of the religious right in the U.S.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 13):
He's not advocating it in the name of God. He's not saying that "God commands you" or "You will go to heaven if..."

He doesn't have to Charles, and you know it. Everyone with half a brain knows he's a religious leader, so he doesn't have to come out and say it. Hell, he once claimed that because of him, God steered a hurricane away from the Carolina coast. Do you need to say anything more about him.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 14):
There's one in that list. Now how 'bout the Muslim theocracies?

Stop being so GOP, Maverick, and trying to change the subject, will you? This isn't about Muslim wacko's in Iran-it's about Christian wacko's in the United States.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
Does the Holocaust ring a bell?

The Holocaust was not done as a Christian vendetta-it was done as a racial vendetta, wrapped, often, in religious tones. But the reilgious overtones of the Nazi's were simply a smokescreen to legitimize their campaign of murder and terror against "undesirables".

Remember, the greatest crimes have happened as a result of the PERVERSION of religion, the perversion of faith, not by religion itself. The perversion of a faith, as we see today with Islam, is simply a guise for worldy power, nothing else. The faith aspect, as done during the Crusades, and done today by OBL, and by a jerk like Robertson is simply to cover, or the attempt to cover, for worldy desire and power.
Work Right, Fly Hard

halls120

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:40 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 6):

No.

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 17):
I'll have to disagree with the modus operandi, but the results of such an action woudn't be so bad....

Mike

As much as I think Chavez is a lunatic, I don't think killing him is the answer.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

TACAA320

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 pm

The Vatican

Damn, those few hundred old men in a country the size of my back yard sure scare the shit out of me.

Have you ever heard a Vatican's spokeman says something like Roberton's stupidities?

old men in a country the size of my back yard

Compared with you, yes they are old [and wiser].

So your backyard is 44 hectares...
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

NUAir

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm

Chavez's response...

Venezuela Oil Company Opens China Office
VENEZUELA/CHINA -- Venezuela's oil company opened an office in China, a client that is becoming increasingly important to this oil-rich country, the state news agency reported Monday. Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez, who is visiting China, told the Bolivarian News Agency the new office in Beijing would serve as a "bastion for forging relations with new strategic partners."

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/business/12447185.htm

If Robertson thinks he can play politics he is in for a big surprise. So far Chavez has proven that he doesn't take S#$^ from anyone and with the US importing over 33% of their crude from Venezuela, Chavez knows he could withdrawal US oil rights and drive a stake right through the heart of the American economy and I don't think he would mind sacrificing Venezuela to do it.

Bush has played it smart by saying and doing nothing. Robertson should follow his lead. If Chavez does divert US Oil to China it will guarantee even higher gasoline prices which will kill Bush's approval rating and most likely our next president will be a Democrat... something Robertson really would not like.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

dl021

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Well, thanks Mr. Robertson, for that useful and productive suggestion.

I think it will go far to improve relations with our neighbors in South America who already feel really good about their allies in the north.

Even if Chavez is a despot and bound to cause problems for us no public figure ought to call for his assassination, or even suggest it would be a good idea.

2 reasons.
1. Assassinating elected leaders tends to be an event that escalates tensions between nations. I don't think it'd make the Venezuelans...even the ones who don't like Chavez...like us any more.

2. You don't telegraph punches, especially one that we would not want advertised afterwards. So the comment was stupid no matter what you feel about assassinating President Chavez.....which I think would be a stupid move.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jaysit

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:50 pm

And this is one of Dubya's buddies.

The kind of nutjob that our nauseous dimwitted greedy President depends on to bring in votes.

I'm off to Paris and the Western Mediterranean in 10 hours, where hopefully I won't have to hear about Pat Robertson or George Bush for the next 2 weeks, or listen to lame Americans defend either man's nausea inducing presence on this planet.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ltbewr

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:58 pm

Pat Robertson is a jerk and hyprocrite of the first rank. He is totally against the abortion of unborn humans, but here he wants the 'abortion' of a full grown man. I don't disagree that Chavez is now a crazy dictator ruining his country, but he has not risen to the level of where he should be assinated. I think he has been hanging around the oil bidness Bushies too much. Maybe Pat ought to send some of his holy roller friends down to Venezula to encourage good christians there to revolt against Chavez instead. Better would be to tell his followers to cut back on oil/engergy use by 20% - that would be the really Christian thing to do on a variety of levels. It's too bad that the FCC could go after his program for such an obscene use of words instead of some woman that flashed a breast.

Falcon84

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 pm

All that this asshole Robertson did is to cement the support of this man Chavez, not only in his home nation, but throughout Latin America. And the fact that he's a friend of Bush will be brought up over and over.

Good job, asshole.

And Charles, to note-Robertson did this on his supposed religious program, the 700 Club. It was done in the name of God.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 39):
It's important for me to know exactly what was said.

I take it you work for Campus Watch then. It is rather easy to get his e-mail and phone number. Just remember he is 9 hours behind you.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 40):
The Holocaust was not done as a Christian vendetta-it was done as a racial vendetta, wrapped, often, in religious tones. But the reilgious overtones of the Nazi's were simply a smokescreen to legitimize their campaign of murder and terror against "undesirables".

Remember, the greatest crimes have happened as a result of the PERVERSION of religion, the perversion of faith, not by religion itself. The perversion of a faith, as we see today with Islam, is simply a guise for worldy power, nothing else. The faith aspect, as done during the Crusades, and done today by OBL, and by a jerk like Robertson is simply to cover, or the attempt to cover, for worldy desire and power.

Of course, that was my point. Cfalk was going on and on about how Christians don't do this sort of thing, and I pointed out a case where they did. I realize the Nazi's were not necessarily acting in a religious context, but leaders of the world's largest church used their actions to try and wipe out another religious group

dl021

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:25 pm

N1120......quit posting when you should be paying attention in class!  Wink Big grin

I'm certain that everyone except for MD90 will be on the same side here, at least until they start bringing President Bush into it....oh, wait!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?