ScarletHarlot
Topic Author

WTF...Who Gets A Cold In August?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:41 am

I cannot believe this. Yesterday evening I felt a sore throat coming on and today I have a cold. It's the middle of August, for goodness' sake! What the heck is up with this? I am not pleased.

Were one of you guys from the meet sick? Malcom, were you spreading some Aussie cold virus?
But that was when I ruled the world

Evan767

RE: WTF...Who Gets A Cold In August?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 am

I was with my 8 year old cousins the other day in Torrance. I too, feel that I have a soar throat. Also, I remember allways having a cold and a slight fever on and off during the summer months and in the winter I never get sick.  confused 
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

ANCFlyer

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:47 am

My G/F actually - been sick for a week. Can't decide if it's really a cold or alergic reaction to all the damn smoke in Interior and Northern Alaska. Many wildfires still burning around Fairbanks and pretty much throughout the interior. Even the Arctic Coast was covered with smoke today . . .  Sad
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TedTAce

Great, I'm going to get the first physical bug transmitted via the internet...
This space intentionally left blank

aaflt1871

Last month while in HNL on a security detail for a C.E.O I came down with a cold. Who gets a cold in Hawaii in summer?

Answer

Me
Where did everybody go?

ScarletHarlot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 am

I feel so loved. I was expecting someone to post the cargo bay. Go ahead, I can take it!

vaporlock

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Thread starter):
I cannot believe this. Yesterday evening I felt a sore throat coming on and today I have a cold. It's the middle of August, for goodness' sake! What the heck is up with this? I am not pleased.

April, well at least we YYZer's didn't give you one!!! he he  cold  Hey, us Canadian chicks can handle a cold!!! I hope your feeling better soon!

I hope these make you feel better!!!

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
Great, I'm going to get the first physical bug transmitted via the internet...

Ted.....dam I didn't know we could catch a "physical bug" via the internet!!! {rotfl)

Phyllis  bouncy 

ScarletHarlot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Oh Phyllis! Thank you! You're so sweet.  Smile

My Canadian genes can handle a Canadian cold - these American colds knock me down!  Smile

vaporlock

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 7):

My Canadian genes can handle a Canadian cold - these American colds knock me down!

LMAO....well, at least you still have your great sense of humor!!! I do hope you feel better soon, nothing worse than a cold in summer!  drool 

Phyllis  bouncy 

searpqx

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 4):
Who gets a cold in Hawaii in summer?

My partner was sick all weekend, and I've had a scratchy throat and headache for the last two days - so make that two more
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

bill142

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:35 pm

I do. It could have something to do with it being Winter here in August. But I usually get one in Feburary when its warmer down this neck of the woods.

EZEIZA

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Yesterday evening I felt a sore throat coming on and today I have a cold. It's the middle of August, for goodness' sake! What the heck is up with this?

well, it's normal to catch a cold here in August considering it's winter Big grin
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

JeffSFO

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:35 pm

Came down with a cold in Miami (of all places) on Sunday afternoon and brought it back to SF with me. At least it's freezing here so I don't feel so out-of-place.

-Jeff

airlinelover

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Umm.. You do??

Actually, I ahve before as well..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

ly7e7

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:29 pm

I just did. And it's 90F outside...
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

aerobalance

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Malcom, were you spreading some Aussie cold virus?

You should have known that tonguing Malcom might be 'dangerous'.....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

flyAUA

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:56 pm

Come on Castrator Hell, spit it out... who were you getting it on with? Who transmitted this virus?  Wink

Joking aside, there are many things that can give you a cold in the summer. Air conditioning, sudden change of weather, exchange of body fluids, weakening of immune system (a.k.a. having a shower and then walking out the house half naked), etc....

Hope you get well soon!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Jaspike

Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:12 pm

I was going to write something about this off the top of my head, but wouldn't sound as good as this...  Wink

The term "cold" (as it relates to climatic temperature) is somewhat misleading. Climate may affect transmission by some means, such as by causing people to stay indoors and increasing the proximity to infected persons, but the cause of the infection remains primarily viral. Some allergies, bacterial respiratory infections, and even climate changes can also cause common-cold-like symptoms that can last for days. It is not definitely known whether cold weather or a humid climate can affect transmission by other means, such as by affecting the immune system, or ICAM-1 receptor concentration, or simply increasing the amount and frequency of nasal secretions and frequency of hand to face contact. A person can best avoid colds by avoiding those who are ill and objects that they touch, as well as keeping their immune system in top form by getting enough sleep, reducing stress, eating nutritious foods, and avoiding excess alcohol consumption.

It is perhaps the case that "cold" refers to a "cold condition," i.e., the hot, cold, dry and wet "conditions" described by the ancient Roman physician Galen. Colds are somewhat more common in winter since during that time of the year people spend more time indoors in close proximity to others, and ventilation is less efficient, increasing the infection risk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

Tom

Thom@s

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:01 pm

Who Gets A Cold In August?

*Raises hand.  Sad

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

OYRJA

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:04 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 18):
Who Gets A Cold In August?

*Raises hand.

Thom@s

Second that as well. Mine started 2 days ago. It sucks.

monteycarlos

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:56 pm

Malcom, were you spreading some Aussie cold virus?

Its called Kangaroo flu. The only way you can get rid of it is by drinking the blood of a live kangaroo.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

Tom in NO

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:49 pm

I spent a day and a half doing hail storm roof insurance inspections on the airport a couple of weeks ago, in the 95-degree heat. And what was my reward..........a week-long cold. To me, suumer colds are always worse than winter colds.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

wunala

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 10):
I do

Have to agree with Bill, but that is all going to change.

Before I suffered then bought the tablets. This year I woke up with a sore throat and sniffly nose etc, and sent the other half out for Codral (being male, I was close to deaths door at this point). Took the course of tablets, and can safely say it worked. Did not get the flu/cold that I expected. Infact I could have been that bird on the ad on telly (I wish I was on an island with those guys!!!). Next time I get a sniffle etc, I am straight onto Codral, no questions asked.

saxdiva

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:27 am

I usually get one right about this time of year... I think it has something to do with school starting again, and my immune system having gone back to normal after being away from sniffling adolescents all summer. This year I taught summer school, so it seems my system is still on search-and-destroy mode.

Or, maybe I just haven't caught it YET...  scared 

Hope you feel better soon, April. Want me to mail you some checken soup?

-Leanne

KLMA330

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:43 am

I had accute bronchitis in July! 2 weeks on antibiotics=2 weeks of missed patio drinking! LOL... it happens, and it SUCKS!

Smile

cedarjet

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 am

I got mine (got it right now) by freezing my butt off in the countryside outside of Melbourne for a week in the company of a fifteen-month old, then flying to London on a TB ward painted to look like a JAL seven-four.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ScarletHarlot
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 15):
tonguing Malcom

Malcom was a sweetie, but unlike some others on this thread, I was not trollin' for skank last weekend...  Wink

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 16):
exchange of body fluids, weakening of immune system (a.k.a. having a shower and then walking out the house half naked),

Other than with Mr. Harlot, I wasn't exchanging bodily fluids...and I don't normally shower and then go out naked!  Wow!

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 23):
Want me to mail you some checken soup?

Thanks Leanne, that's sweet of you!  Smile

I'm feeling better today, thank goodness. Hopefully I'll feel even better tomorrow.

AGC525

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:24 am

I just started to get a head cold. Yuck.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!