TPASXM787
Topic Author

Car Search: Which One To Buy?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:08 am

Ok, so I have been out doing some car shopping and I think I have it narrowed down. Now, give me your opinions on which!

Scion tC

http://scion.jbcarpages.com/tC/Wallpapers/Paper14/2005%20Scion%20tC%20Blue%20rear%20right%20800.jpg

Acura RSX

Honda Accord COupe

Acura TSX

This is the Last Stop.

flyAUA

RE: Car Search: Which One To Buy?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:11 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Thread starter):
Acura RSX

That's what I'd get at least  Smile
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

KROC

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:12 am

How about a VW Beetle? You can be the second guy driving one in America.

Signed, LHMark

WellHung

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:19 am

The one that's not a cheesy Japanese 4 banger. Wait... nevermind.  Yeah sure

desertjets

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:20 am

Well you have cars ranging from $16k to $28k. Seems like a rather broad price range to be looking at. But to be honest there isn't much to complain about with any of those choices.

Just a few heads up the 2006 Accord is due out in a few months with sigificantly different styling, platform remains the same as this is a mid-cycle refresh. So you may want to see if you can find a pic of the 06 to see if you prefer the styling to the current car (I am actually in the minority in that I like the current car better, well the sedan at least).

If it were me, and money was no object, I would be in the TSX without any hesitation. Decent size, good mileage, plenty of power, and fun to drive. If money were an object I'd be in the tC. There isn't as much that draws me to a regular RSX, type S would be a diff story. Ditto for the Accord coupe, never warmed up to the new one as much as the previous car.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

prosa

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:23 am

If price is your main consideration, the Scion would be the logical choice. The Honda and the RSX would be at least $5,000 more expensive, and the TSX close to $10,000 more.
Scions are sold at fixed prices like Saturns. That could be an important factor if you're not in the mood for haggling with dealers. I've heard that Honda dealers can be quite aggressive and high-pressure, and Acura dealers probably are the same way.

[Edited 2005-08-24 20:26:19]
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

KiwiNanday

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 am

tC or TSX, get the TSX A-Spec if you have the money.
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

TPASXM787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 3):
The one that's not a cheesy Japanese 4 banger. Wait... nevermind.

Well I have a piece of shit American Jeep V6 right now...I could just continue on with this  Big grin
This is the Last Stop.

prosa

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:28 am

You also might want to check out the newly restyled Mitsubishi Eclipse. It's similar in price to the Honda and the RSX, somewhat less than the TSX. The Hundai Tiburon is another possibility, and is in the Scion's price range.

Kay

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:07 pm

what a selection... where did you know about these cars? I never knew the existence of any of them. They all look alike, and each is as forgettable as the other. In fact, as I type here I already forgot how they looked in the pictures of this very page.

Kay

JeepBoy

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:38 pm

Go for one of the hybrids out there..

Gas prices are only going one way.. and thats up.

Yeah, I have a Jeep V6 too and it's thirsty.

Cheers,

jb
*yay*

MAH4546

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:59 pm

Solid cars...but all four of them are just, well, boring. Check out the new Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. Volkswagen gives a lot of car for the money...they are especially known for their upscale interiors. Also check out to Volvo S40...edgy design and a very cool Scandanavian-design "pass through" center display. On the upper end of your price range, though.

There is nothing wrong with the four cars you chose, and if I had to take one I would get the Acura TSX (which, FYI, is the edgier, smaller European/Japan-market Honda Accord). You can't go wrong with reliability with a Honda or Toyota, though the cars have me-too styling and personality.

Quoting Kay (Reply 9):
what a selection... where did you know about these cars? I never knew the existence of any of them.

None are sold in mainland Europe except the Acura TSX, which is the same thing as the European Honda Accord.
a.

Cactus739

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 pm

Tough choice..... I'd go with the tC or the RSX. Both are on my short list of cars when it comes time to replace my Lancer.

I'm leaning towards the Scion... but if you've driven one, you know that practically that entire roof is glass, and its not pleasant to get into if its been sitting in the sun for more than 5 minutes....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Mikey711MN

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:25 pm

I bought a 2006 tC back in June and I absolutely love it. And it's an incredible value for the price: the number of standard features is astounding, the no-haggle pricing allows you to buy based on the merits of the dealer (instead of who can simply stomach the lowest margin), and the number of options available make the car something you feel is truly your own.

Speaking of my own, I posted a few pics I took [forgive the photo quality, but they're from my cell phone] here if you want to check it out.

It's a smartly designed car, giving you some no-nonsense features that makes you begin to wonder why you haven't seen them in other cars before: rear seats pushed back for ample legroom that themselves can recline or fold forward for an incredible amount of cargo space (facilitated only because they ditched a small trunk door and made it a hatchback), ASL [automatic sound level] control on the radio headunit that adjusts based on road noise (i.e. turns up the faster you go), etc. etc. etc. The differences between the 05 and 06 models are pretty minimal, but the addition of steering wheel controls in itself is worth the extra $200.  Wink As a more subtle yet still meaningful bonus, it's insurable as a compact car, not a sports car, which will save you a few hundred bucks a year.

Anyway, I could go on and on...so good luck with your purchase! Each model listed definitely has its pros and cons, but having compared those models myself against my basic criteria, it was truly an easy decision.  Smile

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

BA380

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm

what's wrong with getting a German car - yours all look the same!  Smile
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

cornish

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:54 pm

Quoting BA380 (Reply 14):
what's wrong with getting a German car - yours all look the same!

Exactly - well said BA380  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

KROC

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:33 pm

How about an XR4TI?

Signed, The Crew

BA380

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:44 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 15):
Quoting BA380 (Reply 14):
what's wrong with getting a German car - yours all look the same!

Exactly - well said BA380

not that we are biased with our Audis / Audi's and BMWs / BMW's (see other thread ...  Wink
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

TPASXM787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 16):
How about an XR4TI?

Signed, The Crew

We're all going to get freaking Merkur's!
This is the Last Stop.

komododx

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:05 pm

I own a 2006 Scion tC and must say it's a great buy! Best bang for your buck in its category (Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra, etc). My friend has an RSX Type S and yes, performance wise it leaves the tC in the dust, but comfort wise I find the tC to be better and more solid.

And please... GET A STICK!

STefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

komododx

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 11):
Check out the new Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. Volkswagen gives a lot of car for the money..

Don't get a Jettolla! (Jetta+Corolla tail lights, get it?) There have been numerous reviews from car magazines saying that the new Jetta is a total mechanical nightmare. If I would go under VW, I would go the Audi way, although I would wait for the 2-door A3. That's my next car  wink 

Stefano  wave 

ANITIX87

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:41 am

Looks factor -> Honda Accord
Bang for your Buck -> Scion tC
Ease of modifications -> Acura RSX
Power and Fun Factor -> Acura TSX

Regardless of which car you get, get the high-performance version...Accord V6, Scion tC Turbo, RSX Type-S, or TSX-S.

And, like Stefano said, PLEASE get a stick shift. You are a real man, are you not?!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

September11

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:06 am

Last Tuesday, I leased a black brand new 2005 Honda Civic car - 3 year term. $255.00/month. $0.00 down payment. 38 MPG (highway). Nice deal!
Airliners.net of the Future

aerobalance

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 21):
And, like Stefano said, PLEASE get a stick shift. You are a real man, are you not?!

That way you can cuss and swear as to why you got a stick when your stuck in nightmarish traffic for two hours a day. Cussing and swearing is very manly...

Get a stick, unless you have traffic to contend with.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

prosa

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:46 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 22):
Last Tuesday, I leased a black brand new 2005 Honda Civic car - 3 year term. $255.00/month. $0.00 down payment. 38 MPG (highway). Nice deal!

That is a terrific deal. What is the annual mileage allowance?

N1120A

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 18):
Quoting KROC (Reply 16):
How about an XR4TI?

Signed, The Crew

We're all going to get freaking Merkur's!

Hey, they were fast, just pieces of $hit
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MrChips

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 20):
I would go the Audi way, although I would wait for the 2-door A3

It's not available in North America...we only get the 5-door. And even still, it's much more expensive than any of the OP's choices.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 23):
Get a stick, unless you have traffic to contend with.

I drive a rather high-strung 5-speed mantran in the city ('87 VW with some power modifications to it, the low end suffers somewhat), and I have no problem with it. I've never understood that argument, how a manual transmission is hard to drive in stop and go traffic...just put the car into first or second gear and leave it (depending on the car). In my car, the gearing is such that I can drive along very happily at 5 mph or so in first gear, and up to 25 mph in second with no problems whatsoever.

To the OP, from your choices, I would choose either the Accord or the TSX...both are almost equal in terms of quality, performance and comfort, with a slight edge to the TSX. If you're willing to spring for a V6 Accord, then definately get the TSX. The RSX is a nice car, but the Type S gets really expensive really fast - like up to CDN$40k...too much for a riced out Civic, IMO. Since we don't get Scions here in Canada, I can't comment, but I've heard that the tC is comparable to a standard trim RSX.

In the lower part of your price range, I personally would choose the Mazda3. You are paying a bit more than for a Civic, but you get a much more stylish, comfortable and powerful car. In the higher part of your price range, the Nissan Altima, Acura TSX or the Mazda6 would be my first choices, followed by the V6-powered Chrysler 300.

And stay the hell away from ANY A3 (1993+) or newer Volkswagen Golf/Jettas...they are terrible cars. You will have electrical problems abound, ignition coilpacks that fry themselves (at US$600+ per) spontaneously, plus the cars don't handle nicely, they're noisy at highway speeds, and they cost a ton to fix otherwise.

[Edited 2005-08-26 05:13:10]

[Edited 2005-08-26 05:13:49]
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:39 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 26):
It's not available in North America...we only get the 5-door. And even still, it's much more expensive than any of the OP's choices.

That's why I said I would wait for it. It should be here in the US in a year or, most probably, two.

Stefano  wave 

NIKV69

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:47 pm

Suprised nobody here mentioned the Maxima. I bought one last November and have to say it is AWESOME! The Maxima's engine is rated very highly in it's class and it's handles and drives beautifully! For those looking to spend 25 to 30 thousand on a car it is a great value. Here's mine at the Badlands last March.

Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ThereandBack

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 pm

I would go with the TSX its a very good car.

AWspicious

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting JeepBoy (Reply 10):
Go for one of the hybrids out there..

Gas prices are only going one way.. and thats up.

Yeah, I have a Jeep V6 too and it's thirsty.

Cheers,

jb

Quoting September11 (Reply 22):
Last Tuesday, I leased a black brand new 2005 Honda Civic car - 3 year term. $255.00/month. $0.00 down payment. 38 MPG (highway). Nice deal

Get a Civic hybrid, if it's offered in your part of the world... Unless you can write-off your fuel.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Jetsgo

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):
Suprised nobody here mentioned the Maxima. I bought one last November and have to say it is AWESOME! The Maxima's engine is rated very highly in it's class and it's handles and drives beautifully! For those looking to spend 25 to 30 thousand on a car it is a great value. Here's mine at the Badlands last March.

Nobody has mentioned a Maxima because it does not compete with the cars he listed. Sure the Maxima blows the pants off the Accord/Camry/Passat, but it is just in a different league. An Altima would be better suited for him. Those come with a punchy 3.5L V6, including the new SE-R model.

As for the decision, it all comes down to what you are looking for. Which is more important to you, cost or performance? Cost wise the Scion is in a league of its own. Performance wise, the RSX takes the cake.

I would like to add two cars to your list that I think you would be appealed to. The first one is the Mazda 3. It is an excellent all around car. Great quality, great performance, and decent looks. The other one would be the Pontiac G6 GTP. This comes packed with a 3.9L 240 hp V6. That is one hell of an engine compared to the rest you are looking at. This is of course assuming performance is high in your book.

I second Stefano when he says stay away from the Jetta. Not just because it is an engineering failure, but because Jettas just are more of a female car. The Passat is a different story though.

The biggest advice I can give you though, is do not set your mind on only one car. Just narrow it down. If you set your mind on one, you run the possibility of being screwed over at the dealership when it comes to signing. You are open to better deals when looking at more cars, as each dealership is different.

Anyway, I hope you can find something you like at a decent price. Car buying is always quite a fun experience.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

NIKV69

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 31):
Nobody has mentioned a Maxima because it does not compete with the cars he listed. Sure the Maxima blows the pants off the Accord/Camry/Passat, but it is just in a different league. An Altima would be better suited for him. Those come with a punchy 3.5L V6, including the new SE-R model.

Your so called "punchy" V6 is actually the same 3.5 that is in the Maxima. Just has a better exhaust and the timing is probably a little advanced to give you some more performance. Getting the 5 speed will add to that.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

prosa

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:25 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 31):
The biggest advice I can give you though, is do not set your mind on only one car. Just narrow it down. If you set your mind on one, you run the possibility of being screwed over at the dealership when it comes to signing. You are open to better deals when looking at more cars, as each dealership is different.

Car buying is not an experience for the faint-hearted. It's bad enough that car salesmen often are intimidating, but once you've found a car to your liking you then have to deal with the dreaded finance manager. Even if you've already arranged for financing, you'll get a hard sell for the financing available through the dealership, and then a barrage of pitches for extended warranties and dealer-installed options. No matter how hard you try to research the process in advance, using resources like Edmunds.com or kbb.com, the people at the dealership are going to be a lot better at it than you are. Basically, they're experts at separating people from their money.

September11

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:45 am

PROSA- there is mileage allowance on my leased car - I can not remember the exact number... I will for sure exceed my mileage allowance.

GuitrThree

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 34):
PROSA- there is mileage allowance on my leased car - I can not remember the exact number... I will for sure exceed my mileage allowance.

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS??? You don't know the mileage allowance???

Lets say you pay a penalty of 20 cents per mile, and your allowance is 12,000 miles per year.

Your lease if for three years.

You drive 18,000 miles each year, so you blow your allowance by 6,000 each year, or 18,000 miles total

At the end of your lease, your 18,000 miles you didn't bother to check how much would cost you will total $3,600, or an extra $100 a month. I hope you are prepared to write that check in 36 months. And lets hope it has no damage or excessive wear that they can also knock you on. Wow, I use a car for three years and when I turn it back in I have to pay another $4,000! Wow. What a bargain!!

Keep in mind, these are very conservative numbers.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

September11

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:49 pm

I think mine is 5 cents "penalty" per mile. My car dealership told me not to worry about it. So far, I like my car. I think I will keep it after my lease expires.

N200WN

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 36):
I think mine is 5 cents "penalty" per mile. My car dealership told me not to worry about it. So far, I like my car. I think I will keep it after my lease expires.

I once leased a Honda...back in '91. The mileage penalty on my deal only came into play if I turned the car back in to the leasing company. If I traded it in..which I did after two years, the mileage didn't matter. Just check your contract.

Mikey711MN

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:56 pm

My car dealership told me not to worry about it.

Wow. Was there anything else they told you not to worry about!??!? I mean, that is a pretty amazing deal...there weren't any knocking noises or funky smells or anything, were there?
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

L410Turbolet

Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:19 am

My car dealership told me not to worry about it.

I may be completely wrong, but isn't your dealership's advice on this matter kinda irrelevant? They only sold the car to the leasing company, which now owns it so anything involving the conditions of use of the car only are to be dealt with between you as the possessor and the leasing co. as the owner.

Jetsgo

Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
Your so called "punchy" V6 is actually the same 3.5 that is in the Maxima. Just has a better exhaust and the timing is probably a little advanced to give you some more performance. Getting the 5 speed will add to that.

And your point is? Im well aware that they have the same engine. There is a price difference though, and thats what I was referring to.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AA777

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:23 am

I say the Accord Coupe or the TSX. Both are more luxurious than the Scion and RSX, and hold more people in comfort. You CAN get a V6 with the accord, with leather etc.... The TSX really is nice, its a great car for the money, and comes with so many features (heated seats, XENON headlights (trust me, once you go Xenon you never want to go back!!! its a whole new world of night driving!). Really impressive interior space too....very very comfortable and supportive seats. That would probably be my choice, the TSX.

-AA777

gearup

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Thread starter):
Ok, so I have been out doing some car shopping and I think I have it narrowed down.

I notice no domestic makes in your shortlist, any particular reason? Why not a Pontiac G6 or Chevy Cobalt supercharged? All the cars on your list are very good cars, I would have the TSX. Happy shopping!

GU
I have no memory of this place.

komododx

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:46 am

Some pics to compare the tC and the RSX-S:

Stefano  wave 

komododx

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:48 am

FYI:

The tC's platform is the same as the Toyota Avensis, which is Europe's mid-size sedan (ie. Europe's Camry), so even though you'd have a coupe, the back seat is veeery spacious, plus the back seats recline up to 45 degrees!

Stefano  wave