mNeo

Car Insurance And Teenagers...

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:26 pm

Im thinking about getting my own car, but i really dont have the over $200 a month for insurance. Does anyone know what the leagal status is if im driving a car registered and insured by my mom/dad and i get into an accident. Some people claim that it is the car that is insured and some people claim that it is the person.

Doeas anyone have and informaton.
Powered by Maina

baylorairbear

RE: Car Insurance And Teenagers...

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:32 pm

Generally in the U.S, if you are under 25, you must be listed as a driver on the vehicle. If you are listed as a driver, and not "primary", then that is the only vehicle you can operate.

BaylorAirBear
I'm just skipping stones...

futureuapilot

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:01 am

Technically my truck is registered with my parents, so if I get in an accident I'm not held to pay the damages. I also only have Life insurance, no colision or damage insurance. At least I can get the good student discount!

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

LBA

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:42 am

All Countries are different, in the UK the main driver has to be the one insured, but other drivers can be added to the insurance. If you name someone else as a main driver who isn't the policy is null and void and the insurance won't pay out. This has become common in the UK as insurance for young drivers is expensive, but insurance companies will investigate young driver accidents to a greater level if they are down as a named driver and not the policy holder.

mNeo

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:50 am

So, from what i understand: I can drive the car if it is insured under my dad only if im listed as one of the drivers. (Does this mean i can take out any of the family cars?)
Powered by Maina

dc-10 levo

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:59 am

I've just bought my car (driving test next month) and my insurance has worked out at £462 which is around $650 per year. That's with my Dad as the main driver and me as an additional driver. In the UK you can drive if it is insured in your parent's name with you as the additional driver but I'm not sure how it works in Bulgaria.

DC-10

Msl747

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 2):
Technically my truck is registered with my parents, so if I get in an accident I'm not held to pay the damages. I also only have Life insurance, no colision or damage insurance. At least I can get the good student discount!

Yup same here. That was really the only way we could afford it.

-Msl747 spin 
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

mNeo

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting DC-10 Levo (Reply 5):
n the UK you can drive if it is insured in your parent's name with you as the additional driver but I'm not sure how it works in Bulgaria.

Im BG it really dosent matter as mostpeople really dont have insurance(altho it is mandatory...)

But i live in NY, where the laws must be followed  Sad