ConcordeLoss
Topic Author

Breaking Apt Lease To Move Out Of State

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:57 am

I will be leaving Cleveland to go live in Chicago, and my lease doesn't end until May of 06.
Somebody was telling me that there is some law that allows you to break the lease without any financial loss. Do you guys know if thats true?

Thank you for your help.
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

Logan22L

RE: Breaking Apt Lease To Move Out Of State

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:12 am

It may vary State-to-State on this. I remember breaking a lease years ago, and out landlord said "That's fine." Then he wouldn't give us our security deposit back. He said it was because we broke the lease. Well, why the F*CK did he say it's fine, then???

Bottom line, if your landlord keeps your security deposit, you'll probably have to put in more time and money than it's actually worth. I doubt that he would pursue damages for leaving him without a tenant until the lease is up, but you'd better look into that.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

senorcarnival

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:16 am

That should all be on your lease. If it isn't, take it up with the property manager. If he/she is nice, they'll understand your plight. If they're not nice or just say no, take it up with the owners of the property. Good luck!
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

aa777flyer

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 am

When I got my layoff from AA, I went to break my lease at my apartment, I was two months into a one year lease. Basically, they would not budge. You signed a lease you are an owner. So it came out to 10 X 771 = $7710. I gave a 60 day notice and moved. Screw them. I wont pay it. They probably had my place re leased within 30 days after I moved. They sent it to collection, but I will NEVER pay it.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

b727

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:37 am

Here in NY if you take a job more than 75 miles away, or buy a home and ocupy it with in 90 days of closing you are allowed to break a lease and recieve your deposit back.

B727
Glenn

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:53 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 3):
So it came out to 10 X 771 = $7710. I gave a 60 day notice and moved

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 3):
They probably had my place re leased within 30 days after I moved

If they leased the place out a month after you left, all you legally owe is the single month the unit sat vacant. The property can't double dip - if you will.

The laws go State to State of course . . .

Quoting ConcordeLoss (Thread starter):
I will be leaving Cleveland to go live in Chicago, and my lease doesn't end until May of 06

What you need to do is a quick search under your State Laws and Ordinances to find your State's version of the Landlord and Tenant Lease Laws. It will all be spelled out in there fairly clearly.

Bottom line - be prepared to pay for the unit until it's released, or lose your deposit, or both.

Recommend finding someone that needs a place to live and get it arranged for them to lease your place the day you move out. Often, the landlord will forgive and waive any fees in that went to the effort to understand their situation and attempt to make amends beforehand.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND