komododx

Anyone Else In Katrina's Path?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:10 am

Well I'm really bored and not too many people are on MSN. My friend in Kendall is reporting several power outages... Even though it's only a Cat 1, the winds are getting worse and worse here in Coral Springs.

Who else is in SoFla right now?

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

srbmod

RE: Anyone Else In Katrina's Path?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:12 am

We're forecasted to get rain from it Monday and Tuesday. Man I hate working when it's raining.....

JeffSFO

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:14 am

My sister and her boyfriend are driving up US 1 on their way to Miami right now. When I spoke with her a couple of hours ago, she said it was raining and the clouds were getting darker, but that's it. I should give her a call and see what's happening.

-Jeff

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 2):
My sister and her boyfriend are driving up US 1 on their way to Miami right now. When I spoke with her a couple of hours ago, she said it was raining and the clouds were getting darker, but that's it. I should give her a call and see what's happening.

From the Keys? From all I've heard from people around SoFla is that in Dade county there is just heavy rain and north of where the eye made landfall is where the winds of up to 65mph are.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/komododx/Katrina.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/komododx/Katrina2.jpg

Stefano  wave 

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:23 am

Wow! Telemundo 51 is reporting two casualties. May they rest in peace.

Stefano  wave 

sprout5199

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:27 am

here in W.P.B. (just south of pbi--am at work) not too bad, just some feederbands.

Dan in Jupiter...hurricane--you mean overtime?

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:32 am

If anyone tunes to Telemundo you can get really good footage... It looks bad in North Miami Beach.

Two casualties were from a Ficus tree that fell down on top of two cars in SE Ft Lauderdale.

Also heard of cars geting sand-blasted at the beach. How bad is that for the paint?

Stefano  wave 

JeffSFO

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 3):
From the Keys? From all I've heard from people around SoFla is that in Dade county there is just heavy rain and north of where the eye made landfall is where the winds of up to 65mph are.

Just got off the phone with my sister--she and her boyfriend made it through the Keys and are headed north on the Turnpike by Homestead and she said the weather is "absolutely insane." The wind is up and the rain is driving horizontally and a transformer blew out very close to them. Since things were getting very hairy she had to get off the phone. She's taking pictures though (her boyfriend is driving).

Cheers,
Jeff

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 7):
Since things were getting very hairy she had to get off the phone. She's taking pictures though (her boyfriend is driving).

Hopefully you can share the pics. I got some really good footage with my digicam, but haven't been able to upload it.

Your sister should look into stopping at a hotel/motel. Shouldn't be driving in this weather.

Stefano  wave 

JeffSFO

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 8):

Hopefully you can share the pics. I got some really good footage with my digicam, but haven't been able to upload it.

I'll post them once I get a hold of them. They're being taken on film so this will take a while.

Quoting Komododx (Reply 8):
Your sister should look into stopping at a hotel/motel. Shouldn't be driving in this weather.

They're on their way to a Ramada Inn in right now. Streetlights are out where they're driving and the tolls are free.

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 9):
They're on their way to a Ramada Inn in right now

Good!

the tolls are free.

Even better!

Stefano  wave 

JeffSFO

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 10):
They're on their way to a Ramada Inn in right now

Good!

They just pulled in and are very relieved.  relieved 

ffis34

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:42 am

well here im tampa a 200 mile drive form where the eye made landfall i got off the phone with my friends who live in ft pierce, there fine a few trees down not much else, i tonight at marching band practice it was pretty wind with gusts up to 35 but there were alot of interesting flights comeing in a few 747's witch is interesting from TPA area and i live in pinellas even more harder to find some decent planes but they were flying really low as in like 4-5000 feet over seminole so i had fun tonight, but exicted about tom. hope her paths comes my way, i love weak hurricanes there fun to be in and boggie board with some friends

brad

Delta767300ER

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:32 pm

I'm 100 miles north of the eye and all we have had is a few squalls. We expect to possibly have sustained winds of 35 MPH, With peak gusts of 50 MPH. I dont expect conditions to be that bad but ya never know.

-Delta767300ER

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:37 pm

The Weather Channel is reporting SR 836 (Dolphin Expressway) to have collapsed at 97th St. Florida Highway Patrol states there is an accident with injuries and the highway will be closed for at least another 24 hours between the Turnpike and SR 826 (Palmetto Expressway). Anybody has more info?

Stefano

EDIT: Typo

[Edited 2005-08-26 05:42:00]

JeffSFO

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 14):
The Weather Channel is reporting SR 836 (Dolphin Expressway) to have collapsed at 97th St. Florida Highway Patrol states there is an accident with injuries and the highway will be closed for at least another 24 hours between the Turnpike and SR 826 (Palmetto Expressway). Anybody has more info?

Strange you should mention that because my sister sent me a text message saying:

"Yeah we were on 836 between palmetto expressway and the turnpike...where the collapse was!!"

Close call.

-Jeff

L-188

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:01 pm

I can't wait to get in touch with my sister and ask her what the hell she was doing to Florida....same name as the hurricane
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ThereandBack

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:07 pm

I am in West Palm Beach this one is so much better than the other hurricanes from last year I didn't evacuate and never lost power. Just really loud wind and rain.

komododx

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 15):
"Yeah we were on 836 between palmetto expressway and the turnpike...where the collapse was!!"

Just saw some images on Telemundo and it was a bridge under construction that collapsed over SR 836. Telemundo has two choppers in Dade and Broward counties if you want to tune in.

Stefano  wave 

OB1504

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 am

I had the eye pass over my house at around 7:30 PM. I remember calling all my friends to tell them about it. It wasn't that bad, really, and it was pretty hard to believe that those were 80 mph winds. Nothing was secured, nor did we put up shutters, and yet we didn't even lose power. We just got lucky (well, not that lucky because of the eye) with this storm, I guess.

OPNLguy

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:45 pm

>>>Anyone Else In Katrina's Path?

According to the latest, MSY on Monday night....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

JeepBoy

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Oh wow...

Is anyone in Florida actually surprised by these events? You have a president who refuted 'Global Warming' and a population that listens to FOX on a daily basis that also refuses to admit that 'human caused climate change is happening'.

Get used to it as there is more to come. Your seeing the soft side of the damage that we have done to the earths climate.

RIP to those who have suffered though.

jb

beep beep run over the clown
*yay*

KFLLCFII

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Quoting JeepBoy (Reply 21):
Is anyone in Florida actually surprised by these events? You have a president who refuted 'Global Warming' and a population that listens to FOX on a daily basis that also refuses to admit that 'human caused climate change is happening'.

rotfl   redflag 

Maybe we should blame FDR for the busiest season ever in recorded history (1933, 21 named storms) AND the most intense hurricane on record to hit the US (Florida Keys Labor Day Hurricane, 1935, 26.35 inches of Hg measured at Long Key, FL)  sarcastic 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

N1120A

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 20):
According to the latest, MSY on Monday night....

That is not a good thing. Anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should plan on flying to YYZ/BUF to see my girlfriend or to LAX to go home?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ANCFlyer

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:46 pm

Get a life!

Now it's Bush's fault Florida get hit by a Hurricane??? WTF?!?!?!?!

Florida has been getting hammered - along with AL, GA, SC, NC, TX, MS, Mexico, etc by hurricanes as long as I can remember - and Bush wasn't always the President. Don't tell me we're going to have to suffer through yet ANOTHER insufferable BUSH CAUSES EVERYTHING loser on A-Net???

beep beep run over the clown

Beep Beep, run ove JeepBoy . . someone, please, quickly, spare us . . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

komododx

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:47 pm

Get used to it as there is more to come. Your seeing the soft side of the damage that we have done to the earths climate.

Ignorant! If you're not going to contribute anything maybe you should keep your trap shut.

Stefano

komododx

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:52 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):
That is not a good thing. Anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should plan on flying to YYZ/BUF to see my girlfriend or to LAX to go home?

Well wherever you go you might consider taking off soon. This is a very slow hurricane and in South Florida most of the damage was due to flooding, rather than winds (although the latter were pretty bad too). Now, imagine a Cat 3/4 hurricane going reaaally slow through NO... better get out!

Stefano  wave 

usnseallt82

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:59 pm

You should be publically flogged.

Other than that dose of retardedness, I'm in lucky Pensacola! Need I say more?  Big grin
Crye me a river

N1120A

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:49 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 26):
Well wherever you go you might consider taking off soon. This is a very slow hurricane and in South Florida most of the damage was due to flooding, rather than winds (although the latter were pretty bad too). Now, imagine a Cat 3/4 hurricane going reaaally slow through NO... better get out!

The second Tulane says it is shut down, I am out of here
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TedTAce

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:58 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
The second Tulane says it is shut down, I am out of here

Good luck to you and everyone in the big NO.

I wonder if this will delay Trump construction?  no 
This space intentionally left blank

AirplanePeanut

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Looks like a CAT 5. Good luck people in her path.

airplane Peanut

CORULEZ05

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:23 pm

Now it looks more like this:

Good luck everyone. My prayers go out to everyone in the path of this monster!
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

usnseallt82

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:35 pm

Geez, I think I've waited long enough. I had no idea it would get this strong. We'll, I'm going to grab the puppy, pack up some files and uniforms, board up a window or two and get the hell out of here. Don't know where, but I think I'll make a spotting trip out of it...go to ATL before it hits there or over to Jacksonville. Good luck to anyone else in my spot!  Big grin
Crye me a river

TedTAce

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:39 pm

I haven't felt this bad about something since August of '92  Sad I hope anyone leaving NO grabs someone who can't get themselves out.. this is going to make a train wreck look like bumper cars.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:47 pm

New Orleans' mayor ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city. He says the levies WILL fail to stop this storm. The weather folks are comparing it to hurricane Camille of 1969.

I remember Camille and this one's statistics and path are nearly identical.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

saxdiva

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:01 am

Hmm... hope TOMinNO and CB get out okay, too.

cptkrell

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:17 am

KFLL wrote: ("...1935, 26.35 inches of Hg measured at Long Key, FL"). Katrina may give that record a run for the money as 175mph sustained winds, 26.78 inches (907 millibars) was just flashed on the Weather Channel screen. And, it appears that it is still gathering strength.

My folks have relocated from Nawlins up to son-in-law's in Picayunne, MS, although I fear that may not be far enough. We need some rain here just south of Nashville, but if storm track follows computer models, we may be getting a hell of a lot more than we "need". Best of luck to those in her path. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

usnseallt82

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:29 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 36):
175mph sustained winds, 26.78 inches (907 millibars) was just flashed on the Weather Channel screen. And, it appears that it is still gathering strength.

Christ. It won't stop growing. It is definitely much more destructive than Ivan was, the Florida Panhandle's major slam a year ago. I'm still hesitant to leave until I see this thing wobbling a little eastward, which I'm sure it will. The path is weird this time because it really limits people's evacuation choices to the far eastern sea board or well north of everything.

I guess we'll see soon how it all looks and then I'll probably make a decision. Good luck to those in New Orleans...this is really going to tear that town apart.
Crye me a river

whitehatter

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 34):
New Orleans' mayor ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city. He says the levies WILL fail to stop this storm. The weather folks are comparing it to hurricane Camille of 1969.

Hope Concordeboy is all right. I'm seeing some Caribbean flights delayed at the moment too as they cross that area to certain destinations.

Good luck to anyone in its path, and we will be receiving the leftovers in about a week as well  Sad
which is just what some in Europe do NOT need at the moment
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

ANCFlyer

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:25 am

Some estimates put the City of New Orleans under 25 to 35 feet of water.

I agree, Tom in NO, Freddie, any other A-Netters - hopefully they are long gone. This is not going to be pretty . . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

flymia

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:37 am

This is a very very very bad storm. 175MPH sustained winds. CAT 5. This is the type of storm which you see on the specials on the discovery channel. Those storm of the centuries. When they make pretend a huge storm hits a city, and the Discovery Channel always predicts three cities being destroyed Miami, New York City, and New Orleans. Guess New Orleans prediction might be true. This is going to be a horrible storm for anyone in its path. Down in Miami there were 7 deaths for a Cat 1 storm. Flooding was pretty bad and wind damage was alright but that was just a catergory one. This storm is a monster. Just heard on the television that if Kartina has a direct hit on New Orleans FEMA say there could be 20,000-40,000 casualties. Flooding is going to be horrible in New Orleans. Hopefully it wont have a direct hit on New Orleans. Hopefully the rain wont as bad as it predicted to be.
Category 5 Castrophic Damage. I don't know how much of New Orleans will be left if it gets a direct hit.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TedTAce

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:43 am

flymia

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 41):
Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 40):
were 7

Try 9

Yea I was just about to change it. Just saw it on NBC website too.
9 for a Category 1 storm is not a small amount at all.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

komododx

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:47 am

FYI:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

Good luck to all in LA and MS

Stefano

pdxtriple7

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 33):
haven't felt this bad about something since August of '92 I hope anyone leaving NO grabs someone who can't get themselves out.. this is going to make a train wreck look like bumper cars.

TedTAce is right. Anyone leaving should try to take those who can't drive. Just saw on the news to moms with 6month new borns and they don't have cars or money to leave. Everyone needs to get out and help get everyone out.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:55 am

Cross section of New Orleans...FYI:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

komododx

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:56 am

North Broward County:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/komododx/100_1044.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/komododx/100_1042.jpg

Stefano

Boeing Nut

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:15 am

I had a bad feeling about this storm after it passed Florida. Katrina now has, as stated already, 175+ mph SUSTAINED winds. This is as scary and extreme as it gets. I also have a bad feeling that this storm will be the one that all hurricanes from now on will be compared to. Camile will be second fiddle after this.

People of Louisiana and Mississippi, get out. Those that can't, my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Best of luck.  pray 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

saxdiva

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:27 am

Just dropped an e-mail to an old colleague in N.O. He's got a house in South Carolina and is pretty conservative about these things, so I'm assuming he's cleared out and will get my note from elsewhere. I hope so, anyway... he lives on General Haig near one of the canals.

Yeow.  Sad

MKEdude

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:44 am

This is going to be bad. New Orleans averages out at 6 feet below sea level, and with a 25 ft. storm surge New Orleans is simply going to cease to exist. I just hope people can get out in time, but of course not everyone is going to make it. There is potential here for a massive loss of life, even greater than 9/11. They may never find all the bodies.

My cousin her husband and their daughter live in the garden district, just off St. Charles. They are currently on their way to my aunt's in Atlanta, So I am breathing a personal sigh of relief.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa