dl021

How Do You Support The Troops?

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 am

OK...we've had some threads about do you support, or not support the troops, or support the troops but not the president....and we've heard overwhelmingly that everyone supports the troops.

OK....that's cool. Tell us...........what concrete thing do you do to support your soldiers in the field? I'm not just referring to paying taxes, which you really don't have a legal choice about. I'm talking about what things do you do that require you to go out of your way to support your troops....US, British or whoever.....

If you have not done anything, then tell us what you are willing to commit to doing.

If you have suggestions, post them.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

redngold

RE: How Do You Support The Troops?

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:29 am

I believe that prayer is concrete action: What's better than asking the Highest Power to intervene? That's been my support.

redngold
Up, up and away!

dl021

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 am

That's cool....I pray as well.

Without devaluing prayer, which I'm not doing here, what are we doing that requires physical action and possibly leaving the house? Perhaps even financial commitment?

AeroWesty

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:35 am

I always was taught not to flaunt one's charitable work or donations, but I'll break that rule in this case because I believe it's a worthy cause I've donated to, that directly helps reunite our troops with their families and/or loved ones while on leave:

http://www.heromiles.org/

Operation Hero Miles was created by Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger in cooperation with close to a dozen United States airlines in October, 2003. The program allows troops stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan to fly home on leave for free. It also gives family members of wounded servicemen and women free plane tickets to visit their loved ones recovering at military hospitals across the country. Operation Hero Miles gives ordinary citizens an opportunity to help our troops in a very direct way that makes a real difference in their lives.

The program is brilliant in its simplicity. Travelers donate their unused frequent flyer miles to the Pentagon and troops and families use them to get free tickets. In the first six months of the program, 540 million miles were donated - enough for 22,000 free tickets.
International Homo of Mystery

Sabena332

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:42 am

AeroWesty was faster, I just wanted to post that AA has this HeroMiles program, I saw it when I visited their site a few days ago.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

dl021

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:44 am

Westy....that's one hell of a good program.

This is not about touting your own contributions, but maybe learning some more ways to help, and perhaps how to take action when you want to but don't know how.

KC135R

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:54 am

I have donated money to the Wounded Warrior Project - supposed to be a good, trustworthy organization that helps those who come back disfigured in some way, shape, or form. I don't think most people realize how many lives have been forever altered and I wanted to give something to those people who sacrificed so much for the rest of us.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...LTI2OBKlF/b.932833/k.CB9C/Home.htm

AsstChiefMark

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:09 am

Dress like them.  Wink

Uniform
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

FlyingTexan

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:23 am

My brother-in-law is currently serving in Afghanistan. His requests include razor blades for shaving, which I promptly fulfilled. I have also donated American AAdvantage and Continental OnePass miles and invited those in uniform as my guests to Continental Presidents Club.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AeroWesty

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 am

Another good site (I couldn't recall the URL of it before, but thanks to Google ... ) :

http://www.anysoldier.com/

It's a fairly comprehensive site that details how to send a parcel of sundries to the troops in the field. Units in the field can also sign up to say what they need or can use, and there are links on how to package and mail care packages overseas.

They also have a link for how to send Military Exchange Global Prepaid Calling Cards. Calling home from Iraq or Afghanistan, even for a few minutes, can be incredibly expensive without one.
International Homo of Mystery

ScarletHarlot

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:33 am

Well...I have a friend in Nebraska. She has two small children and her husband is in Iraq. I have sent care packages to both of them. It was an adventure buying all the stuff he wanted, packaging it up, and taking it to the post office, where I had to argue with the staff there that yes I could send batteries and yes it was the correct zip code!

They both seemed to appreciate the packages.
But that was when I ruled the world

dl021

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:46 am

This is really good stuff.

I know that the soldiers who benefit from these acts of kindness are very grateful......

Anyone else?

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:04 am

Care packages . . . for my friend Captain Nash, and his crew . . . occasionally, I get specific requests for certain items. The usual things, especially Handi-Wipes. I've shipped loads of those. Jerky, lots of jerky. DVDs. CDs. Calling Cards. I also sent those things to my brothers when they were there.

I also support them when I see them in ANC . . . nothing particularly earth shattering . . . let them in line ahead of me or something as simple as shaking their hand and saying thank you.

"Support our Troops" bumper sticker on the BAFDT.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

OzarkD9S

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:31 am

I have a cousin and a good friend's son over there now. Different units of course.

I send each a monthly care package, usually consisting of razors, canned food, skin lotion, handiwipes etc....usually about $40 worth of stuff in each package. My Mom also throws in another $10 worth of stuff for both. Friends of mine know I do this and most months they drop off a few canned goods or something they find at the store that they think will come in handy over there.

I go to Deals where everything is $1 so I can send quantity enough so they can share with the other folks in their respective units.

My cousin's wife doesn't get email, but he mails me letters when he can, I print them and mail them off to her so she can read them ASAP. Sometimes I call her and read them to her before I send them off.

I DO NOT by those magnetic car stickers or T-shirts or any of that crap because someone somewhere is making a buck on it. I'll spend my money on stuff they can actually use rather than cheap domestic feel-good sentiment.

So if in anyone wants to know how I can oppose the war and support the troops at the same time here ya go.

[Edited 2005-08-30 02:33:18]
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

searpqx

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:43 am

I'll be honest, up until today, nothing beyond moral support. But using some of the examples I've found here - it'll be something by the time I go to bed tonight. Thanks!
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

dl021

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
I also support them when I see them in ANC . . . nothing particularly earth shattering . . . let them in line ahead of me or something as simple as shaking their hand and saying thank you.

SOmetimes the simplest things make the difference

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 13):
I go to Deals where everything is $1 so I can send quantity enough so they can share with the other folks in their respective units.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 13):
I send each a monthly care package, usually consisting of razors, canned food, skin lotion, handiwipes etc....usually about $40 worth of stuff in each package. My Mom also throws in another $10 worth of stuff for both. Friends of mine know I do this and most months they drop off a few canned goods or something they find at the store that they think will come in handy over there.

That's really good stuff. Those ideas are practical and easy to do. They can be used with the anysoldier website listed above if a person wants to do something and doesn't know any particular soldier.

As far as the ribbons and magnets........that's a personal thing. Some like them, others don't. I resent it when people wrap themselves in the flag without doing anything to back it up, just like I ridicule people that wear camoflauge in public without a reason, but I appreciate people who display their support for soldiers and remind others to do the same. There's nothing wrong with displaying your true feelings and sharing them.

SATL382G

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:22 am

I go with 'em. Or at least I used to...  Smile

I also donated a couple of boxes of paperbacks to the base library here. They made them available for inclusion in care packages.

If anyone is looking for a way to support the troops I heartily recommend the Fisher Houses. I've used them and know many others who have also. A very much needed service....

http://www.fisherhouse.org/
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:39 am

My father visits the USO Lounge at ANC. He's a retired railroader, but has 3 sons in 3 different branches of the military.

WHile he legally can't use the USO - he never served and doesn't have an ID* - he takes all sorts of things to the USO lounge at ANC. Candy, Coffee, Mints, Pens, things like that. Nothing larger than he can carry on a city bus usually, but he makes the effort, makes him feel good, he does his part.

* He enlisted in the Navy in WW2, but because he had a critical civilian occupation - Railroad Engineer - he was declined. They took both my Uncles, a postman and a civil engineer, into the Navy.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
* He enlisted in the Navy in WW2, but because he had a critical civilian occupation - Railroad Engineer - he was declined. They took both my Uncles, a postman and a civil engineer, into the Navy.

Makes him part of the Greatest Generation in my book. Tell him we said "Thanks!"
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

pacificjourney

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:31 pm

I pay taxes ($38,000 in the US last year) which funds their employment and keeps them of the dole. They're welcome of course ....
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

clipperhawaii

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 19):
pay taxes ($38,000 in the US last year) which funds their employment and keeps them of the dole. They're welcome of course ....

Wow, the BS meter just pegged. If you did in fact pay any taxes in the U.S. last year let alone 38k I will suggest that the I.R.S. throw it back into your smug face.

Thanks just the same. And you're welcome.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

ANCFlyer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:05 pm

I pay taxes ($38,000 in the US last year) which funds their employment and keeps them of the dole. They're welcome of course ....

More inane drivel from someone who doesn't count . . .

I'd gladly give it back to you, if I thought you were worth the trouble. . .

Like I said before, you're a moot point in here . . . log off when ready. You don't intimidate, you don't impress, you do nothing but continue to make an ass out of yourself.

Remember, there's a little box called self delete, you can check it any time.

KROC

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 pm

Another example of what to show kids to avoid becoming as they get older.

I've sent off several care packages to friends of mine still in the military. I've send things through adoptaplatoon.com and such and here at Harris we have as a company gathered up tons of stuff that was sent over to the boys serving. I have no problem doing more too if something else comes down the pike.

[Edited 2005-08-30 12:22:22]

pacificjourney

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:43 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 20):
I will suggest that the I.R.S. throw it back

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
I'd gladly give it back to you

... and I'll gladly take it back if you have any pull.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

OYRJA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:49 pm

We don't have the same possibilities to support our troops with personal items like you can. But I support them vocally instead. Thats the best I can do.

gkirk

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:51 pm

I raise a beer or two for the folks serving their country. Can't get any higher praise from me than that  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ORFflyer

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm in the defense contracting business, and as such, a lot of co-workers have sons, daughters, and other relatives serving in that AOR right now. Due to this, we almost weekly have a care package of some sorts we send.

Additionally, one of our employee's clergy was serving a tour in Iraq recently, and wrote to him asking for the simplest request.... freeze-pops!! Our office collected, and shipped over 200 pounds of freeze-pops to his unit. A few weeks later, we got an e-mail complete with pictures of the party they had with those.... quite an amazing feeling to know something that little meant so much!

My sister-n-laws BF is leaving Thursday for a six month cruise over there. Being on a carrier shouldn't be as severely in harms-way as the ground troops, but I'm wishing him a safe deployment nonetheless. On a side note, he is going to give me a close-up first hand tour of an F-18, and F-14 Wednesday morning when I take him to the base.

Chip

dl021

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting OYRJA (Reply 24):
We don't have the same possibilities to support our troops with personal items like you can. But I support them vocally instead. Thats the best I can do.

Are there rules against it or simply no organizations facilitating this activity?

OYRJA

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:00 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 27):
Are there rules against it or simply no organizations facilitating this activity?

There are no organizations for this. You can only send something down if you know any of the soldiers.
But on the other hand I think they have everything they need. The danish military supply office sent down some snow shovels and snow plows right after the war started. Damn that was hillarious. They obviosly didn't know where Iraq is Big grin