AirScoot
Topic Author

Toronto In October

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:27 pm

I'll be heading to Toronto this October (the 17th to the 22nd) as a tag along to someone else's week long business meeting. Aside from Tuesday the 18th (which happens to also be my birthday)  Big grin I'm looking forward to seeing the CN tower then twiddling my thumbs for the rest of the week. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll be flying in and out on AirCanada - figured at least the part of one other day at YYZ... everything else is up in the air.

777DadandJr

RE: Toronto In October

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:58 pm

Hey Scott,
I am jealous!
I visited Toronto back in Nov 01, and have been eager to return ever since. I onle had 2 1/2 day there, so I didn't get to see all that I wished. The other 2 days of my trip were spent in Niagra Falls, which is only 1 hour away by car.
The CN Tower is spectacular, and a must see. Don't get too freaked out by the glass floor. It make a great photo op. I liked going all the way up to the Sky Pod, but some of the folks up there looked a little green. There was one kid who was a stocky football player type, sweating and pinned against the wall the whole time.
I guess being 1400+ ft in the air is a bit too much for some.
I would suggest just walking around downtown. Younge Street is very cool. If you are into shopping, check out Eaton Center (I think that's what it's called) on Younge. It's a huge shopping mall right in the middle of downtown.
If you're tastes are a bit more bohemien, if you go one block east of Younge St, you'll be on Church Street. There are lots of smaller shops along there.
Go down to the lakefront. Check out the Royal York Hotel. Very cool.
We just had a great time exploring on foot. That's why I'd like to return to check out all the things I missed.
Have a great time!

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

desertjets

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:00 pm

There is tons to do in Toronto. Throw in a still favorable exchange rate and prices that are reasonable, even in DT, you have one of the many reasons why I keep going back to Toronto to visit.

October still should be nice weather wise. And Toronto is just a great city to walk around in and take in the sights. It may not be on the same level as say New York City, or even Washington DC, but T.O. has a lot to offer. Some of the ethnic neighborhoods are fun to check out and sample the local cuisine. If you do a little planning/research ahead of time you might be able to catch a basketball game, a show, or a concert.

I am sure the locals can fill you in more, but that is my perspective as a semi-regular visitor over the past few years.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AirScoot
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:04 am

Thanks - it'll be nice to get out of Washington for a while. Looking forward to the trip. I haven't been there since I was a kid and I figure things have changed quite a bit.