fly_yhm

Question About Wood(Katrina Related)

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:01 am

Im just wondering how long Wood can last submerged under water. These houses in N.O. that are under water could the colapse because the wood gets worn out?

This is crazy this hurricane. Thats what happens when the GOM water temps get to 90F. This wont be the last time.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

L-188

RE: Question About Wood(Katrina Related)

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting Fly_yhm (Thread starter):
Im just wondering how long Wood can last submerged under water

There is a big industry in the south where logs that sank from rafts in the 1800 are salvaged by divers and cut into lumber. This wood is highly prized.

So the answer is a long time.

It isn't the condition of the wood that will rot out the house. I would worry more about the nails holding it together.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

11Bravo

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:30 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
It isn't the condition of the wood that will rot out the house. I would worry more about the nails holding it together.

... and the electrical system, and the heat/AC systems, and the flooring, and the interior wall material.

Most of the structures that you are seeing on TV with several feet of standing water in them are destroyed and must be torn down. If you expose a structure to inundation for a short period of time, it can be repaired. These buildings will have water in them for days, or even weeks. They are trash.
WhaleJets Rule!

halls120

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:34 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 2):
Most of the structures that you are seeing on TV with several feet of standing water in them are destroyed and must be torn down. If you expose a structure to inundation for a short period of time, it can be repaired. These buildings will have water in them for days, or even weeks. They are trash.

I agree. Most - if not all - the houses that are flooded up their rooflines will be bulldozed.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:50 am

IIRC, the water has to be fresh water and the wood has to be hardwood. A few years ago, a couple of guys got this bright idea to harvest 100+ year old logs from the bottom of Lake Superior. The TV news report said that pine logs in salt water would have been eaten away years ago. But because they were hardwoods in cold fresh water, they lasted this long.

Here's their company's website.

OldLogs.com

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aloges

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:07 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 2):
Most of the structures that you are seeing on TV with several feet of standing water in them are destroyed and must be torn down.

Sounds very true, the basement of my grandpas old house once changed into a heating oil-topped and dirt-filled swimming pool. Even though the water was there for just a couple hours, it was a lot of work that needed to be done to fix everything.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.