Pe@rson
Topic Author

Withdrawing Cash From A Credit Card

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:38 am

Is it possible to withdraw cash from a credit card without it physically being present? I mean, without it going through a machine or whatever? If so, how? This is for a UK credit card. Cheers.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

stlgph

RE: Withdrawing Cash From A Credit Card

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:44 am

yes.

find a restaurant.

manually enter the required #'s.

run it for a $0.01 charge.

make the tip to be whatever you want or need.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

whitehatter

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:45 am

In short, no. Cash is treated as a different transaction to goods bought on a card, and there are different rules which apply to it and various legal liabilities.

Cash can only be obtained via a bank branch or a cashpoint, although some money shops (like bureaux de change) may do a cash advance.

Most card firms also bill your cash advance as a separate item on the statement. It is something to do with it being a loan rather than a financed purchase of goods and you have to either sign for it or authorise it with a pin number.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

BMIFlyer

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:53 am

Yo can ask for cash back (as part of your bill) at the supermarket.

I do it at Tesco  

EDIT: My Visa DEBIT Card, not my Visa Credit Card oops  Silly

Lee

[Edited 2005-09-01 23:58:25]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

kaddyuk

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 3):
Yo can ask for cash back (as part of your bill) at the supermarket.

I do it at Tesco

Not with a credit card you dont... as is stated, cash back or cash advance from an ATM is different to purchase of goods and is financed differently..
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

alcregular

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:50 pm

You can only get cash back with a debit card and not a credit card. The APR on ATM withdrawals is more and if you go into a bank to withdraw cash from it, the APR is different from purchases too.
Why drive when you can fly?

oly720man

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:08 pm

The only way I can think of is to transfer money from your credit card to a bank account (online or by phone) and withdraw it there.

I can't imagine any situation where you could go to somewhere and get money out on a card you haven't got with you. I mean, if you could then anyone could and where would card security be?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

BCAL

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:28 pm

If you have a friend (such as a shop keeper) who had a PDQ credit card terminal, you might be able to persuade him to enter your credit card details, register a purchase and state cardholder not present (plus the security password), and he then gives you cash up to the value of the purchase.

The only problem here is the commission paid by the shop to the credit card company, so you would probably only get 97.5% of the cash value.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

jafa39

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:08 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
Is it possible to withdraw cash from a credit card without it physically being present?

If you're a crook, no problem! Wassup, you been ripped off somehow? I had a card cloned once, then they can make another one.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

mrniji

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
Is it possible to withdraw cash from a credit card without it physically being present?

I told you to keep the list of "credit card numbers of Hollywood film stars" confidental, Pe@rson! You promised me not to engage in any fraud
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:44 pm

There goes my idea of acquiring £100,000-150,000 in a few hours.  Silly  Wink
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

soups

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:00 pm

Depends with what bank

Lloyds TSB send you some cheques to go with your credit card
Natwest you can walk into a Natwest bank and request the money
u can also use it at cash points. However there will be a charge for using this (Normally £1.50-£2) depending on your card
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

mrniji

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 10):
There goes my idea of acquiring £100,000-150,000 in a few hours.

If I get 50 % I won't tell anyone  Wink .. OK, you are the one who claims to be from Nigeria..  Wink
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:19 pm

I was then planning to move abroad and live in Mr N's multi-billion estate in India.  Wink