UALPHLCS
Topic Author

National DDay Museum

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:49 pm

The Natinal DDay Museum which is converting over to the National World War II museum is in N.O. It's home is there becasue N.O. is were the company that biult the landing craft for the Normandy invasion was located.

Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING about it's condition?

I've heard unconfirmed web reports that it has been looted. Most certainly it has probably flooded.

With all this human misery going on I know it may seem shallow. But I almost worked there and the history that is kept there is priceless. Rescue the people first absolutely, but of all the things in N.O. after lives have been saved, I think our history is next.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

dl021

RE: National DDay Museum

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:55 pm

I think it's in the flood zone, and it can't be in great shape.

The front consists of large windows, and the artifacts on the main floor are right on the ground. I fear serious loss there.

I was very lucky to have gotten a tour from S. Ambrose prior to opening simply because I stopped there when driving through once to make a donation, when they were building the place and his office was there. I've been a friend of the museum since then.

It's not shallow to consider the losses on all levels. Human life comes first, but every other loss counts as well.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ltbewr

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:58 pm

The main city Art museum is in deep trouble too. People whom work in the museum have stayed there, refusing to leave due to fears of the A-hole looters comming in and destroying it, raping it of all of it's collections. I would deeply fear that the D-Day museum if not totally flooded, has been or will become ravaged by the terror mobs in the city.

slider

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Thread starter):
I've heard unconfirmed web reports that it has been looted.

If this is the case, I have no problem with shooting on side. Terminate looters with extreme prejudice.

On a related note, Higgins boats would certainly be of value now, huh?

dl021

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:07 am

Hey, at least it's probably floating....it looked fairly sound when they were done with it. I saw in February and it was on the lobby floor slightly elevated.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?