TedTAce
Topic Author

"George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People"

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:46 am

I was watching the NBC Special event and this African American guy with Mike Meyers just stated the above quote.

What Has W ALLOWED to happen to already crappy Race relations????
This space intentionally left blank

Roger136913

RE: "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People"

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:57 am

It appears that it's racial that the blacks were left behind in the city.....

Not sure of the African American who was just on Fox News but he said this is all racial.... Though he did not blame Bush, just said it's racial. He blamed it was racial that Police Officers allowed people to loot for food and clothes but when asked about TV's he said he saw nothing wrong with it????

He said Blacks were being called refugees and not whites???????????

I never heard anyone state a skin color when referring to the people as refugees today. But he felt it was for Blacks only??????????????

People have lost their sanity..............................................

dl021

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:00 am

That's a load of crap, and the asses who are trying to play some race card are simply using this situation to try and make noise for their own agenda.

President Bush is not responsible for the fact that the city is predominately black, nor that people stayed in the face of the oncoming hurricane.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ME AVN FAN

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:00 am

THIS is what I feared might come up earlier or later ! it is the very last thing your nation needs. While I do NOT particularily love your president I do NOT believe that he is a racist. And his job is NOT to care about Whites, Blacks, Yellows or whomever, but about his nation and about people. It of course is obvious that exactly the area affected has apparent Black majorities, and so, any problems or insufficiencies inevitably will get explained by some people with this matter. I anyway on four visits to the USA never really understood that aspect. That people can be lighter or darker skinned, have broader or thinner noses, etc, is just nature, some things can be changed by sun or healthcare or cosmetics while others remain. I do NOT say that racism is a "privilege" of the USA. So I hope that Mr Bush manages to calm down matters now.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Roger136913 (Reply 1):
I never heard anyone state a skin color when referring to the people as refugees today. But he felt it was for Blacks only??????????????

That was another point the guy who made the quote passed on he said the 'media refered to the black as looters and the whites as looking for food'

Sabena332

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):
President Bush is not responsible for the fact that the city is predominately black

Exactly! Would people say "George Bush Doesn't Care About White People" when this had happened to a city with white people in the majority or "George Bush Doesn't Care About Hispanic People" when this had happened to a city with hispanic people in the majority?

No, certainly not!

I am not a Bush fan but I think that this is just another way to stir the pot and to bash Bush.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TPASXM787

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:10 am

It is just another way to bash him.

Like this morning, for some godawful reason I was listening to CNN on XM, and that douchebag Miles O'Brien (must have been a big Star Trek fan when he picked his fake tv name) was totally asking leading questions go get a man to bash the President...I was actually somewhat surprised at how blatant it was.
This is the Last Stop.

Roger136913

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:12 am

Sorry Ted other then that I can't why they are staying he is racial....

I know the CBC were not happy and I thought at one point they were going to say it was racial. The CBC did state this earlier on TV.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus, along with members of the Black Leadership Forum, National Conference of State Legislators, National Urban League and the NAACP charged that the response was slow because those most affected are poor.

Logan22L

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:13 am

There are sufficeint reasons to bash Bush without playing the race card.

I saw an interview just a couple of hours ago on NBC national news with an African American stranded in NO who vehemently denied any racial issue. He "pointed to" many whites who were stuck there just as he was. And yes, if a city has a greater percentage of non-whites, then this issue always has the potential for surfacing.

Also in that story was a white guy who had spraypainted his car with white crosses and "AID" messages. He was going around and admitting to looting food, water, and other necessities and driving it to people in need, of any race. Now there's good looting and bad looting, and this sounds like good looting to me. I'd do the same.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

flybulldog

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:14 am

I think the thing that blacks are angry about is the fact that the news media is full of images of nothing but blacks looting and shooting at the rescuers. The white people are shown on TV as much more compassionate. I'm not taking sides, I'm just commenting on what I see on TV.

Roger136913

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:19 am

Food and medicine was allowed to be looted, it was reported that Police broke into stores for food and medicine and allowed people in.

I think the looting many are frowning on is TV's and items not needed to survive.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:32 am

For those who say this thread is about bashing Bush two points:

1. I was just reporting what was said, and it's boldness on national TV shocked even me.
2. Name one piece of legislation that Bush has signed that has directly and positively helped urban African Americans.

Logan22L

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:32 am

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 9):
I think the thing that blacks are angry about is the fact that the news media is full of images of nothing but blacks looting and shooting at the rescuers. The white people are shown on TV as much more compassionate. I'm not taking sides, I'm just commenting on what I see on TV.

You know, that may be true; it wouldn't surprise me, but I wonder if you're talking about NBC, CBS, and ABC, or some of the more recent "cavalier" networks. Most of what I've seen seems pretty fair. Don't forget, NO is a city of predominantly African American inhabitants, so it's not easy to show a 1:1 ratio of good vs. evil acts.

To be honest, I've watched some footage, but it hurts too much to just keep it on all the time. I feel I can do more through donation and I'm trying to get in touch with support operations to donate something more important: my time and knowledge in the areas of drinking water quality and hazardous materials response. Right now, they need militia with guns to clear out the assholes, and supplies to help the victims, but in the next few weeks and months, as things begin to clear up, there'll be a need for people with some skills to help out without having to pay everyone.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

ME AVN FAN

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:45 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 5):
this is just another way to stir the pot and to bash Bush

I usually LOVE "GWB-bashing" but this time "do NOT feel amused".

Quoting Flybulldog (Reply 9):
the fact that the news media is full of images of nothing but blacks looting and shooting at the rescuers.

ok, someone informed might state what the percentage is /was of Blacks in New Orleans, in Mobile, in Gulfport/Biloxi ??

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 11):
Name one piece of legislation that Bush has signed that has directly and positively helped urban African Americans.

he is a Tory, and none of them (Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush-senior) signed legislation in help of minorities. That is why I could NOT understand why the US-Americans, narrowly but clearly, re-elected this man.

MD-90

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:53 am

That is a really ignorant statement. It has nothing to do with Bush, and everything to do with the economic status of the average black person in Mississippi and Louisiana, and the large numbers of them that live there.

That's not racist, even if it is politically incorrect.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 13):
ok, someone informed might state what the percentage is /was of Blacks in New Orleans, in Mobile, in Gulfport/Biloxi ??

From the 2000 Census:

New Orleans: 326,000 blacks, 67.5% of the population
Mobile: 92,000 blacks, 46.3%
Gulfport: 23,850, 33.5%
Biloxi: 9600 blacks, 19%

SFOMEX

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 14):

If the 67.5% of NOLA's population were black, it makes sense that most refugees are also black.

Please people, focus on what does matter right now. Bashing Bush can wait...
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 am

Pure  redflag 

I won't even entertain any more of this thread . . . it's absurd.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jmc1975

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 14):
From the 2000 Census:

Mobile: 92,000 blacks, 46.3%
Gulfport: 23,850, 33.5%
Biloxi: 9600 blacks, 19%

They even showed footage of a looter in Biloxi, which they were quickly able to arrest. It didn't just happen in New Orleans.

omoo

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:23 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
I was watching the NBC Special event and this African American guy with Mike Meyers just stated the above quote.

The African american guy you are refering to is Kanye West (a famous rapper). i watched that piece and i thought it was uncalled for, it is not right to label it a racial issue but i do agree with some critics that the Feds were caught with their pants down on this one and that it might be a class thing. very simple "people with means do not really care for the plight of the poor and the disabled". Its that simple.

video of the comments.....

http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79

[Edited 2005-09-03 07:24:03]

[Edited 2005-09-03 07:25:22]
Fly Air Popobawa

tsaord

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:28 pm

as a black man....i did find something rather odd. a picture was posted from some news headlines. it had a white couple carrying things in the water they apprantly "found to survive" then there was a picture of a black man carrying some things through the water, he was labelled a looter.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

tsaord

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:33 pm

the sense i got from people here in chicago, around the city, at work, some blacks feel that if that was texas, things would be a whole lot different!

i dont know. race relations in this country still on shaky ground. and someone is always ready to blame someone else, instead of working together!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

SESGDL

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 19):
as a black man....i did find something rather odd. a picture was posted from some news headlines. it had a white couple carrying things in the water they apprantly "found to survive" then there was a picture of a black man carrying some things through the water, he was labelled a looter.

I am black as well, I have also seen that footage and am disgusted by it. Unfortunately things like this are all too common and people fail to see it.

Most people want to deny that race has played a factor but it has, I'm just sorry that people think it doesn't happen. I rarely play the "race" card, but I think that what has happened is not completely unintentional.

Jeremy

Alessandro

Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:05 pm

GWB don´t care about anyone except his family and his bizniz partners,
sad but true....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

drerx7

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:22 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 20):
the sense i got from people here in chicago, around the city, at work, some blacks feel that if that was texas, things would be a whole lot different!

Chicago is full of idiots. JUST KIDDING Seriously--I'm black and a Houstonian--and I lived in New Orleans for 4 years. I loathe Bush; but even I have to throw the red flag on this play. I knew some folks were gonna play this race card; it just so happens that N.O. is predominantly black. Now I will say New Orleans is a racist, classist, and segregated city--which all played a role in the living conditions of the impoverished; but the lackluster emergency response is not due to race.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

EA CO AS

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:30 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 11):
Name one piece of legislation that Bush has signed that has directly and positively helped urban African Americans

No Child Left Behind

a picture was posted from some news headlines. it had a white couple carrying things in the water they apprantly "found to survive" then there was a picture of a black man carrying some things through the water, he was labelled a looter.

Regardless of color, here's a simple guide:

If they're running out of stores carrying food, medicine or other items to aid in survival, they're fine.

If they're running out of stores carrying TVs, DVD players, etc - they're piece-of-shit criminals.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

wobbles

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:39 pm

Please, folks, W has showed his love (all 1 inch of it) to me, I get great pleasure (and give it too) from Dubya and I'm black. Just don't tell Laura though.
Signed,
Condi.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:51 pm

It's not convenient to play the racist card right now. It even looks very stupid and not appropriate to the seriousness of the situation.

It's easy to criticize ( so was my mother telling many times to me), but more difficult to help.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

Braniff727

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:22 pm

It is very clear that the mainstream media, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc is extremely biased against the Republicans. Fine.

It is the media, the supposed "champions" of the "less-fortunate" that makes the rasicst references. What is the media doing to bring aid to these people? They obviously have power for their cameras and video feeds, but are thye bringing food, water, medicine and helping evacuate?

NO.

They are too concerned with bring the "story" and painting the Bush administration as racists than helping the people that are right in front of their faces. It is apalling that they have the complete lack of morality to push this BS to the world. They fake tears in their eyes when speaking to victims, but still do NOTHING to help.

This is why the "mainstream" media is losing credibility with Americans. We can see right through your smokescreen. We don't trust you.
Climbing

legend500

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:51 pm

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 27):
It is the media, the supposed "champions" of the "less-fortunate" that makes the rasicst references. What is the media doing to bring aid to these people? They obviously have power for their cameras and video feeds, but are thye bringing food, water, medicine and helping evacuate?

I noticed the massive Fox News supply convoy in New Orleans. It was really nice of Rush Limbaugh to fly to New Orleans and hand out some of his spare pain pills.

The above was sarcasm.

It is very clear that the mainstream media, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc is extremely biased against the Republicans. Fine.

Actually, they're biased in a conservative manner. If they really were anti- Bush, they'd be asking why Condi Rice was at Spamalot while her home state (Alabama) was hit, why a tax break was given when the money could have been used for flood mitigation, among other things, why the Louisiana National Guard is guarding a desert instead of at home ready to help, why we are still dependent on Middle Eastern oil when we could have followed the Clinton Fuel-Milage standards which would have mitigated the fuel shortage, and oh yes, by the way where's Osama? THAT would be a liberal-biased network.

We don't trust you.

True, the only thing they trust less than the media: the President. http://americanresearchgroup.com/economy/

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:08 pm

Quoting Omoo (Reply 18):
Kanye West

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 24):
Oh Great, now any 'street cred' I had is totally cone  Yeah sure
No Child Left Behind

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Say that to one of the Orlando High school that's been "F" reated for the past 3 years. Majority Student population=African American
PS Where's the money?

are thye bringing food, water, medicine and helping evacuate?

NO.

It's not their job to MAKE the story; it's their job to OBSERVE the story.. Obviously you haven't ever taken a journalisim course..

Klaus

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:57 pm

I doubt it's actual racism - GW Bush and his government have been quite consistent about one thing: They don't give a damn about any people unless they're useful to them.

So far I can't remember skin colour making a noticeable difference in that. It's campaign contributions and photo ops that make the difference; It you can't offer any advantage for them you're out of luck. I know it's not exactly new with politicians, but few are as cynical about it.

BN747

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:58 pm

Here's the story and source...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._on_re_us/katrina_photo_captions_1

Photo Captions From Katrina Stir Debate

In one of the photos, a man wades through chest-deep waters with a large black bag filled with items from a grocery store. In another, two people wade through equally high waters, carrying bread and soda. .

In the first, the young man, who is black, is described as having "looted" the items. In the second, the pair, who are white or light-skinned, are described as "finding" the items.

The two photos were removed...

So much for a liberal media...

As for Bush not liking blacks.. well that's a bit of stretch. He has 'type' of blacks he's comfortable being around. As a people (as well as poor whites or anyone else) .. Bush has clearly shown who he prefers to be associated with. And the above groups are not it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

dl021

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:57 pm

So, fundamentally, no one here actually believes that "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

So, where's the criticism of Kanye West and his inflammatory comments that come at the worst time? He is saying things that many will take seriously and at a time when people are already acting out.

As far as whether President Bush cares? Who the hell here can really say you think the man doesn't care about the victims of this disaster? That's either beyond disengenuous or beyond reason.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Boeing Nut

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:43 pm

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. It's just sad. They say that the worst things bring out the best in people. I sure haven't seen any of that.........yet.

As far as the lawlessness in relation to the race thing goes, my dad has a saying. "there are just as many white n****rs as there are black ones." No matter what the race, you eliminate the scufflaws, things would not be as bad.

All the people affected by Katrina are in my thoughts. I sincerely hope things get better fast.

Regards

Note: My remarks above are directed to a behavior and not a race.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 32):
So, fundamentally, no one here actually believes that "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

Of course not, but as I pointed out before, he's done nothing to advance African american/monority issues so there is nothing PREVENTING this perception.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 32):
Who the hell here can really say you think the man doesn't care about the victims of this disaster?

Noone definitively, but as the expression goes, actions speak louder then words.

Roger136913

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:56 pm

TedTace

Are you the type of person who just loves to stir up trouble?
Granted I have not been in this forum for long, but just the responses I see you post it seems you love to find fault or argue...............

Why don't you march down NO and do something yourself if you feel things are not going your way??????????

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:17 pm

Quoting Roger136913 (Reply 35):

Are you the type of person who just loves to stir up trouble?

When what I feel are blatantly DUMB things are occuring, ABSO__CKINGLUTELY!!

it seems you love to find fault or argue...............

I love to LEARN. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I shove my foot down my throat, but guess what.. I LEARN.

if you feel things are not going your way

How I feel about how my personal life is almost wholly irrelevant. I have problems JUST like everyone else.

Why don't you march down NO and do something yourself

Because my job that I use to support my wife and two children will not let me. Get my job to allow me to go (keep paying me and not trash my vacation days) and do simple stuff like carrying litters @ MSY, or unloading water from the trucks at the super dome, and I'lll GLADLY GO. Hell, I'll even do a FEW DR's for those who have computers with power that need to be recovered and were backed up with the product I support.

airbuzz

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):

I'm not a Bush fan, but all the bashing about:
* It's Bush fault if the help is arriving late
* Bush doesn't want to help Black people
* etc.

is pure 100% pathetic bullshit.

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:57 pm

Quoting Airbuzz (Reply 37):
* It's Bush fault if the help is arriving late
* Bush doesn't want to help Black people
* etc.

is pure 100% pathetic bullshit

checkmark 

So here's a question for A-Netters who think PotUS dropped the ball . . .

He declared disaster areas for Louisiana and Mississippi on SATURDAY . . .

When did FEMA move? When did the City of New Orleans move?

Don't give me any more of this Bush wasn't proactive horseshit. Don't give me any more of this Bush hates black people horseshit. (Media is a bit biased I asure you).

Want to point fingers, start with the lousy city gov't in NOLA and their useless Mayor, Mayor  hissyfit  himself and then the FEMA idiots who sat on their ass when they should have had everything under the sun rolling south ON SATURDAY. And where's that damn Governor who should have had the National Guard already reporting under orders?

And now, let's get back to saving people and pumping the water out of there.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NIKV69

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:19 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):
President Bush is not responsible for the fact that the city is predominately black, nor that people stayed in the face of the oncoming hurricane.

I am glad someone here is making sense. I saw that rapper on the news this morning. He was talking out of his ass. Give me a break. Just another reason I can't stand Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
I won't even entertain any more of this thread . . . it's absurd.

Sounds good to me, though I am still seeing replies from you.

As far I see, Bush is guilty for not getting the military in there right away. I think he dragged his feet a little bit there. To say he doesn't care about black people is stupid, thoughtless and has no merit. Case closed.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ltbewr

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:22 am

The deeper issue here is that the a large majority of Republicans, and significant numbers of Democrats as well, feel the USA cannot afford the poor and disabled and instead want taxes cut - but not middle class entitlements cut. The poor do not have a real voice in the USA and blacks are a disproptional amount of the poor. Unions are becoming powerless in politics as their membership numbers decline due to their excesses in the past, changing employment patterns and the cutbacks in laws protecting unions. Good paying jobs that one with a high school education could do are being exported, have be replaced by machines, outsourced to contract employment companies or poorer paid illegals. The education system is in shambles in many poorer areas.
Kahane West was stupid in his comments, but they were understandable for the frustration millions of Blacks in the USA feel for their 'brothers and sisters' being treated so poorly in this disaster.

SlamClick

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:25 am

....i did find something rather odd. a picture was posted from some news headlines. it had a white couple carrying things in the water they apprantly "found to survive" then there was a picture of a black man carrying some things through the water, he was labelled a looter.

Well, the difference in captions has been explained in reply #31 but I do have one observation.

What I have believed all along, and what I have heard echoed in many other people's comments is this: Taking food or water or medicine, or candles, or a number of other things that you might need to get you through the next few days - that is survival. It is not very likely ever to be prosecuted. We mostly all agree with that. Taking a shopping cart full of VCRs, a pickup truck load of beer - that is looting. I think most of us would agree on that, and that it would not matter the color of the person doing it.

So in your post, it would be helpful to know what "some things" were that were being carried off by the person they labeled a looter.

What concerns me this morning is something I saw on Bill Maher last night. I was "flipping" so I didn't watch it long enough to know who his guests were but the one on the far left, a young black man made a statement that the National Guard was down there "sniping" at black people who were trying to gather food."

Personally I think that is a God damn lie. The National Guard is your friends and neighbors and that has never been more obvious than this week. They are not some cold-eyed storm troopers.

But if there is a credible report to this effect then let us have a Kent State type of Congressional investigation. It it turns out to have been true let us put someone in prison. If it is not true let us consider charges against the Bill Maher guest who started the rumor. We need that crap like New Orleans needs more rain.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ANCFlyer

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 39):
Sounds good to me, though I am still seeing replies from you.

Yup, on different subject matter NIK . . .

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 41):
Personally I think that is a God damn lie. The National Guard is your friends and neighbors and that has never been more obvious than this week. They are not some cold-eyed storm troopers.

One of the hardest jobs for any member of the National Guard is to 'play' law enforcement officer in your home town. You'll likely run in to someone you know. It's a delicate balance, and these soldiers deserve all the credit in the world. Most of those from Southeast Louisiana, Southern Mississippi and Southwest Alabama have also lost homes, jobs, businesses . . . yet there they are . . . on patrol, trying to save someones ass . . . and being chided for doing so. Pathetic.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):
Don't give me any more of this Bush wasn't proactive horseshit. Don't give me any more of this Bush hates black people horseshit.

Then why did W say the response (yesterday morning) was un-acceptable, and why is he today himself ordering 7,000 more troops? Why didn't he say the Govenors of ... are asking more troops and I'm sending them instead of "I am ordering?"

ANCFlyer

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:03 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 43):
Then why did W say the response (yesterday morning) was un-acceptable, and why is he today himself ordering 7,000 more troops? Why didn't he say the Govenors of ... are asking more troops and I'm sending them instead of "I am ordering?"

TedT, you're arguing in semantics in a way . . . . however, I think we're agreeing here in more ways than you see. Yup PotUS did say the response was unacceptable. . . and to me that points a finger directly at FEMA. As it should. It also points a finger at Governor Blanco and Mayor  hissyfit , again, as it should.  thumbsup .

As for his commentary about ordering troops - well there are possibilities, perhaps he's actually going to send more Navy forces into the area? Perhaps he's orders the Regular Air Force to participate in the airlift?

Are you giong to continue to nit-pit every gawddamn word he says or are you going to concentrate on real issues like how many people are saved today? Whether the levees get fixed? Whether FEMA gets a food drop into the NOLA Convention Center? Whether or not the medically needy are airlifted out of MSY to hospitals today?

You're like an ex-wife or a old girlfriend, take yes for an answer for cripes sake.  irked 

MidnightMike

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:08 am

Presiden Bush said the relief aid was unacceptable, which is the truth....

The local government calls up the National Guard, the President is in charge of the regular military.

If the Governor does not have the experience to command relief aid during a time of crisis, then they should step down & let somebody take charge.

This is a State problem and are the ones that should be running the show and telling the Federal Government what they need.
NO URLS in signature

carduelis

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:11 am

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but . . .

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/me...e/index.php?messageDate=2005-09-02
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

jamesag96

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:13 am

Because the governoer of LA did shit, the mayor did shit...they had NO plan despite repeated warnings as a result of a hypothetical storm named PAM that predicted much of what you see.

It was the Pres that called Nagin and told him to order the evac, it was the Pres that told the Governor she had the power to call in the guard...she didn't...has anyone seen her on tv leading up to land fall and immediately afterward? She is lost, and the state and local are in way over their head.

If this had happened in NY Bloomberg would have been all over it, then Pataki would have taken the reigns with the Fed backing them up, that is the way it is supposed to happen.

This chain of command didn't break down, it never even got started.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

11Bravo

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):
Don't give me any more of this Bush wasn't proactive horseshit.

Why not Flyer, it’s true.

There was something that Bush said yesterday that really caught my attention. He said something to the effect “No one expected the levees to fail and that we would have all this flooding”

I was pretty amazed, dumbfounded actually, that he hadn’t received a briefing prior to the storm that outlined that particular eventuality. Why wasn’t the President briefed on something that was well known by emergency managers to be a probable result of a large hurricane in the New Orleans area?

Insularity of the President has been a criticism leveled at this Administration for years with regard to events in Iraq. It would seem that now extends to hurricane preparedness as well. Nobody told the President that there was a real possibility, actually a probability, that New Orleans would flood. In my view that is nothing short of negligent and a dereliction of duty.

What we are seeing here is failed leadership plain and simple. Failed leadership on the part of the Mayor of New Orleans, failed leadership by the Governor of Louisiana, failed leadership by FEMA, and failed leadership by President Bush. These people have dropped the ball in a major way.

You have a tendency to blame underlings for the failures of the President, and I don’t expect that to change, but it is quite apparent to me and many other Americans that George Bush just isn’t up to this task. This man has proven that he is incapable of exercising sound judgment and decisive leadership. He has no business in the Oval Office. I think history will mark hurricane Katrina as the effective end of the Bush presidency. He has squandered his trust by the American People, and he has insulated himself from events to the point where he cannot act in a meaningful way. In my book, 2009 can’t come soon enough. It’s really too bad that John McCain or Rudy Gulliani isn’t running this show instead of the charlatan that we have.
WhaleJets Rule!

slider

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:20 am

OK, I'll play the Devil's Advocate.

It is racially driven.

Fully.

Totally.

So if that card is going to be played, then goddammit, let's get it all out on the table.

Let's have a big inquiry from sea to shining sea about why New Orleans is one of the poorest cities in the country.

Let's discuss why NOLA is at or always near the top of the crime stats.

Let's rip off the scab about horrible education, deplorable living conditions,

And let's absolutely expose the long-standing, generations-long pervasive government corruption that has made New Orleans the largest formal city of organized crime on the continent.

And why can't we call them refugees? That's what they ARE!!!!

And let's expose that fraud of a black commentator who claimed, without substantiating, that some were resorting to cannibalism in the dome...

Beignets, hurricanes, Bourbon St, Mardi Gras, the southern "charm" all the shit, forget it. That's all a red herring- that New Orleans doesn't exist anymore.

Let's get it on the table. If the shoe fits...

Because I guaran-damn-tee you that for every finger--black or white--pointing and striking forth on that race card, that there's going to be a hundred-fold more pointing right back at them.

I'm sick and tired of this race bullshit.

Let's have a Federal inquiry and after-action report as to why:

* There was no evacuation plan.
* Why hundreds of busses, that now sit parked in their lots under water, weren't mobilized into the 9th ward and other poor areas to forcibly extricate people.
* Why the Superdome wasn't supplied and stocked, even though it was clearly communicated as a relief center.
* Why the Mayor and Governor didn't coordinate on ANYTHING.
* Why martial law wasn't declared immediately.
* Why the Governor didn't request Federal assistance immediately after the levee broke.
* Why it took 72 hours for local--not federal officials--to decide that MSY was going to be the hub of relief, that they would shuttle people from the city to the airport and airlift them out. If commercial airlines figured this out on Wednesday, that speaks to the ignorance and paralysis of government officials.
* Why was the Superdome littered with crack vials, gunfire, rapes-including those of children, and total anarchy. And why there wasn't such anarchy in Biloxi, Gulfport or Mobile.

I want to EMBRACE the race card fully. Let's use this as a massive catalyst for all of us to voice our frustration and say the things we've been wanting to say for a looooong time. Only then can we truly heal and come together--because if we don't as ONE nation, we will crumble. E Pluribus Unum.

Those people--and all of us--deserve it.