AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Rehnquist Dead

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:12 pm

As reported by CNN

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Espion007

RE: Rehnquist Dead

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:14 pm

Me too. Damn you Pat Robinson
Snakes on a Plane!

KiwiNanday

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:14 pm

Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

KFLLCFII

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:15 pm

Chief Justice, Thanks for your service. RIP.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KiwiNanday

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:18 pm

Farewell, your honor. May you always be remembered.
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:22 pm

THIS will be the Supreme Court fight everone has been gearing up for.

Yet how much can Mr. Bush afford to risk on a drawn-out battle, what with him taking political beating after political beating lately?
Work Right, Fly Hard

aa777jr

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:24 pm

Clarence Thomas is gonna get the nod for Chief Justice. John Roberts won't be in the hot seat anymore, but on the back burner. All the new fodder will be focused on the new nominee for associate justice position.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Espion007

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:24 pm

Still no word on when it will start raining frogs.
Snakes on a Plane!

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):

Why? He could appoint anyone and it wouldn't change the balance of the court one bit. It will be interesting who the Chief Justice appointment is, but the filling of the seat for his replacement as a member of the court is a non-issue.

The battle royale will be over Stevens if he doesn't make through Jan 2009.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 6):
Clarence Thomas is gonna get the nod for Chief Justice.

There's absolutely no chance of that. I believe that of sitting Supreme Court Justices, Thomas was confirmed by the narrowest of margins. Even if it was offered to him, I highly doubt that he would accept it and then there's a better than average chance that he wouldn't be confirmed.

On a side note, since the CJ died before Roberts was confirmed, nobody who ever clerked on the Supreme Court will have served as a member of the court with the person he clerked for. Roberts and Rehnquist were to be the first.

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):
Why? He could appoint anyone and it wouldn't change the balance of the court one bit.

It's not about the balance. It's about Bush wanting to put someone much more conservative than even Roberts on the court-and it could be the appointment where he does make Abortion the litmus test.
Work Right, Fly Hard

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:34 pm

He put up a remarkable fight with time until the very end. He witnessed more history than most of us can hope to, and love his politics or hate them, you had to respect the man. Farewell, your Honor.
Dear moderators: No.

senorcarnival

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:35 pm

That seriously sucks...Any prospects to replace him?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:36 pm

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who helped shift the U.S. Supreme Court toward a more conservative ideology and strongly supported states' rights during his three decades on the bench, has died.

Yes-States' right, but only when it was politically expedient to do so? As in, a certain event in 2000?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
It's not about the balance. It's about Bush wanting to put someone much more conservative than even Roberts on the court-and it could be the appointment where he does make Abortion the litmus test.

And even if he did, it wouldn't mean anything. The CJ was a strong anti-Roe jurist. Therefore, even if Pat Roberts were nominated (obviously hyperbole) the replacement of a conservative with a conservative doesn't matter.

I'll bet that what will emerge is a deal on Steven's seat. The Dems will give W whoever he wants and the GOP will agree that the Stevens seat (if and when it becomes an issue) will go to a pro-Roe jurist. Dems have more to loose on this than the Republicans and based on the most recent counts may loose another 1 or 2 seats in the Senate in 2006.

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
I'll bet that what will emerge is a deal on Steven's seat. The Dems will give W whoever he wants and the GOP will agree that the Stevens seat (if and when it becomes an issue) will go to a pro-Roe jurist.

Not in a million years, Pope. This president does that, his far right-wing base, the Neocon Christians, will have his head if he made ANY deal that involved putting a pro-choice justice on the bench. He'll never do that-never.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
Yes-States' right, but only when it was politically expedient to do so? As in, a certain event in 2000?

I guess you only support the selective incorporation of the 14th amendment when it suits your argument. You can't argue for an expansive interpretation of the 14th when it suits you issue dejure but then insist that it doesn't apply to state recount procedures.

FlyingTexan

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:40 pm

RIP to CJ Rehnquist.

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):

Why?

I’m with Falcon. This is the fight. Realize this next CJ will serve many, many blue moons to come.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

aa777jr

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:41 pm

I like former Tennessee Senator and current Supreme Court liaison Fred Thompson. That is a pipe dream though.

Quoting Pope (Reply 9):
There's absolutely no chance of that

Thomas was mentioned in several CNN and USAToday articles as a leading candidate before Sandra Day O'Connor resigned as a potential replacement for Rehnquist in the event he retired. Scalia has also be thrown in the same pool.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 17):
I guess you only support the selective incorporation of the 14th amendment when it suits your argument. You can't argue for an expansive interpretation of the 14th when it suits you issue dejure but then insist that it doesn't apply to state recount procedures.

I support the fact that if you're truely for "States' rights", you're consistent in it, and throw the 2000 back to the people of Florida. Bush would have won every recount, but to this day, it smells to high Heaven what the USSC did that night.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):
This president does that, his far right-wing base, the Neocon Christians, will have his head if he made ANY deal that involved putting a pro-choice justice on the bench. He'll never do that-never.

Falcon, you call him a lame duck one minute and then imply that he has to care about what the neocons are going to say about him the next. The reality is that #1 such a deal is never publicly announced when it occurs (it comes out years [if not decades later]) and #2 I don't believe the majority of the US conservative are really prepared to deal with an overturn of Roe if for no other reason that abortion is a practical fact of 21st century life in the US.

The social problems that banning abortions would create would be dramatic - however, if we are to be honest, an overturn of Roe DOES NOT BAN ABORTION. Instead, it allows states to decide whether they'll regulate (or ban the practice). Funny how a second ago you were lamenting the trashing of states rights in the Bush v. Gore decision but you're perfectly okay with the court trashing those same sovereignities when it suits your cause.

Pope

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
but to this day, it smells to high Heaven what the USSC did that night.

Please tell us what you think the USCt did that day - I'll be you've never even read the entire decision. What the majority ruled what that the state could not pick and choose what to recount. That if a recount was going to occur, it had to occur uniformily. I don't find that objectionable at all - one person one vote.

Let's be honest. One person cost Al Gore the election and that person was a democrat. The incompetence of the Supervisor of Elections for Palm Beach county is the reason why Gore did not win the presidency. The irony is that will all the hatred the Democrats have for Republicans, the real blame lays with one of their own.

Falcon84

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 21):
Falcon, you call him a lame duck one minute and then imply that he has to care about what the neocons are going to say about him the next.

You think he's going to screw it up for the man/woman who follows him as his party's nominee for President? Whomever he chooses, there's a good chance his stalwarts in Congress will have to go along, and if he made such a deal, with the blessing of a Frist, or a Santorum, it would kill their chances in the primaries, which, as you know, is controlled in most states by ideological conservatives. It would be bad politics for Bush to steer away from the GOP base.

Quoting Pope (Reply 21):
The reality is that #1 such a deal is never publicly announced when it occurs (it comes out years [if not decades later])

Come on, Pope! Say he would appoint such a judge-and it becomes obvious he has pro-choice leanings, you seriously expect me, or anyone else to believe, he DIDN'T make some kind of deal on this, and turned his back on his hardest-core constituency, the religious right! It would be as obvious as the sun rising in the morning. There's be no way to hide such a thing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

johnboy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:51 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 11):
Figures that the commie-pinkos on this site have accused Bush of doing everything else....

I haven't heard the term "commie-pinko" in forever!

Thanks for making me laugh today -- I sure needed it.

AeroWesty

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 6):
Clarence Thomas is gonna get the nod for Chief Justice.

Anyone for a Coca-Cola?  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

jcs17

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:09 pm

Thanks for your service to America, your honor.  Smile
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

magnetass

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
I support the fact that if you're truely for "States' rights", you're consistent in it, and throw the 2000 back to the people of Florida. Bush would have won every recount, but to this day, it smells to high Heaven what the USSC did that night.

THAT was sweet! All the USSC did was force Florida to abide by its own election laws....designed specifically by democrats...to make it difficult for republicans to challenge the entrenched power they used to have in that state. You don't just get to make up new laws as you go along when your guy loses...HA!! Got hung with their own rope, and that is truly Karmic justice.

Logan22L

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:10 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 11):
Did Bush kill him?

Figures that the commie-pinkos on this site have accused Bush of doing everything else, would they agree with this?.......

Aero: Your aviation knowledge is wonderful. Your politics and opinons, IMO, just plain suck. That statement is just plain bullshit, and I would have expected someone as smart as you to come up with something better. Take your republican "they give me more contracts and so I like them" rhetoric and shove it.

Signed,

Pinewood derby loser.

And no, I NEVER forget. ANYTHING. BTW, Commie - pinko is about as current as a sedan chair traffic jam.

[Edited 2005-09-04 06:19:33]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

aerobalance

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 28):
Aero: Your aviation knowledge is wonderful. Your politics and opinons, IMO, just plain suck. That statement is just plain bullshit, and I would have expected someone as smart as you to come up with something better. Take your republican "they give me more contracts and so I like them" rhetoric and shove it.

Signed,

Pinewood derby loser.

And no, I NEVER forget. ANYTHING. BTW, Commie - pinko is about as current as a sedan chair traffic jam

Somebody couldn't take the heat....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

scamp

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Man! Is Dubya busting a gut with joy, or what??? He can potentially set back civil rights 50 years! Good job, George, here's your chance to fuck up America even more!
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

MKEdude

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:30 pm

So now the Dear Leader gets to appoint another supreme. If there is a god, he is punishing us. To the Star Trek convention, quickly! We need virgins to sacrifice!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Quoting Scamp (Reply 30):
Man! Is Dubya busting a gut with joy, or what??? He can potentially set back civil rights 50 years! Good job, George, here's your chance to fuck up America even more!

... boggled 

He can replace a conservative with either a conservative or something to the left of that. Calm down.

legend500

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 pm

All this re-hash of the 2000 election is tiring. Fellow social liberals, Al Gore lost that election, not the Court, and not Nader. He was an incumbent from a popular administration, and was not able to win his own state, much less run a halfway-competent campaign. There.

And fellow economic conservatives, do not take heart. This administration's political capital is now a negative balance, even before Katarina. John Roberts was a good, well qualified and moderate choice. Picking an overly conservative nutjob will only make that negative balance grow.

jcs17

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Jesus Christ, a man who was a very accomplished judge has died. Why not have a little respect for him? Quit the damn politics and acknowledge the man's service to our nation and move on.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Logan22L

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 29):
Somebody couldn't take the heat....

Dude, I've survived hours and hours in and out of Level B personal protective equipment (supplied air respirator; full tyvek, etc.), dealing with explosive and otherwise hazardous waste, and bosses who scream at me to just get it done. I can take the heat, believe me. What I can't take is a businessman who is conservative because that type of Administration gives them more business. That goes up may ass sideways.

Also, "pinko-commie" is just so 1950. Get with the program. It degrades you. Again; I respect your engineering, not your opinions.

b757300

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 26):
Thanks for your service to America, your honor.

All that should be said in this thread. I will not lower myself to the level of other members by turning this into another political b*tch fest.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Logan22L

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting B757300 (Reply 36):
I will not lower myself to the level of other members by turning this into another political b*tch fest.

Every now and then, everyone makes an exception. Kudos.

Rhenquist was a human being just like all the rest of us. He ate, shit, breathed, watched TV, parked over the lines, and made good and bad decisions. Why do we honor this man over an unnamed victim in New Orleans? Judges are lawyers. Lawyers are a dime a dozen. Just because Nixon and Reagan appointed this guy to an elevated position, why is he more important than anyone else? I don't care any more or less about any public servant than I care about a homeless guy who takes away my returnables.

That's what you conservatives don't get. Not only are we created equal, we deserve equal treatment. Conservatives reward hard work and flame the poor as victims of their own attitude and upbringing, meanwhile bringing no aid to their schools and neighborhoods. Say that to a young African American in Bed/Sty or Roxbury (don't know where that is? Do some homework).

Only thing is, I'm a hard worker and a liberal. How are you going to deal with me? Best prepare, because there are a good number of us, and we're smart, and we're pissed off.

ANCFlyer

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:36 pm

THank you Mr. Chief Justice for your service to the United States. Over Thirty Years on the Supreme Court Bench.

PotUS needs to move well center on his next appointment.

I wish everyone wouldn't immediately use the term "fight". Although I'm sure it will be an interesting appointment and confirmation process given our current state of ultra-partisan politics.

PotUS will make or break the court with the task of not only appointing another Supreme Court Justice - but a Chief Justice . . . essentially he has two decisions to make.

All I have to say is he better move to the center and away from the right.

We'll see.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

stlgph

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 37):
Best prepare, because there are a good number of us, and we're smart, and we're pissed off.

Yay!!!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

legend500

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:41 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 34):
Why not have a little respect for him?

Because that a-hole voted to deny a whole group of people basic human rights in Lawrence v. Texas. If I knew where he was buried, i'd go there with a full bladder. Rhenquist and his cronies Thomas and Scalia are partially responsible for the intens dislike some people feel for them, they made the Supreme Court a personal soapbox.

[Edited 2005-09-04 07:42:47]

[Edited 2005-09-04 08:10:38]

cfalk

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 40):
Because that a-hole voted to deny a whole group of people basic human rights in Lawrence v. Texas.

I looked it up. He was simply refusing to be an activist judge and simply applied the law. If Texas residents don't like the law, they can change it the proper way - through the legislature.

If you do piss on his grave, I hope his grave is electrified  Smile.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

legend500

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:44 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 41):
He was simply refusing to be an activist judge and simply applied the law.

Applied what law? Was not activist in what manner?

The central argument was under the essential test of such a law, whether it “furthers no legitimate state interest which can justify” . Now tell me, how did the Texas sodomy law "further a legitimate state interest."

As I'm sure you know, the court holds in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the decision sought to be overruled must be “proven ‘unworkable". Bowers v. Hardwick (the case Lawrence overruled) was clearly unworkable - one cannot be "de-gayed", and even if it were possible, it could not be totally effective.

Therefore the court in Lawrence v. Texas found that the sodomy law failed to :

1. Further a legitimate state interest.

2. Prove to be workable.

Hardly a major activist statement. In fact the real activist in that case were Messers. Rhenquist, Scalia and Thomas (all dissenting); as proved when they invoke Roe v. Wade, not in order to cite precedent, but to claim that it and therefore Lawrence was a "divisive" issue that should not be decided by a court; that it should be decided by the states. What relation does the Roe decision have to the Bowers or Lawrence decision? None. It took a lot of activity in legal terms to come to such a statement.

Additionally , the dissenting members claim that "there is no right to “liberty” under the Due Process Clause," http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-102.ZD.html Now Cfalk, I know you to be a more conservative free-marketer. We agree on many things. But when three justices state that a person has no real liberties, a business does not have the liberty to conduct business free of government activity....sounds like an extremely alarming and disturbing idea. One that Rhenquist supports. That's why I will piss in a plastic jar and pour it out onto his grave.

[Edited 2005-09-04 09:46:07]

[Edited 2005-09-04 09:46:53]

[Edited 2005-09-04 09:47:57]

We're Nuts

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:13 pm

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 42):
But when three justices state that a person has no real liberties, a business does not have the liberty to conduct business free of government activity....sounds like an extremely alarming and disturbing idea.

The idea is hardly a new one. Imagine how hard it would be to display the Constitution and Bill of Rights if our every liberty were guaranteed in writing. That's where the grey area lies, and why we need judges to interpret it.

OzarkD9S

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:46 pm

Farewell homophobic trash...may your journey to hell be long and hideous.

Tennis anyone?
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Logan22L

Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
All I have to say is he better move to the center and away from the right.

And a monkey just flew outta my butt.

satx

Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
Bush would have won every recount,

According to the BBC, Bush would actually have lost every proposed recount. This was on BBC World a couple weeks after the election was decided by the SC.

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 30):
He can replace a conservative with either a conservative or something to the left of that. Calm down.

As right-wing as the CJ was, I'm confident you can still move even farther right still.

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 32):
Al Gore lost that election, not the Court, and not Nader.

He won the popular vote didn't he? I wish that had been enough. I never really understood how the EC is somehow better than a simple majority vote.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 33):
Why not have a little respect for him? Quit the damn politics and acknowledge the man's service to our nation and move on.

Is there some reason why we can't debate American political issues anymore?

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 39):
If I knew where he was buried, i'd go there with a full bladder.

Sweet! I'm saving mine for Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas though.  Big grin

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 40):
He was simply refusing to be an activist judge and simply applied the law.

I think it's time we retired the 'activist judge' nonsense term. In common parlance, it's simply come to mean 'suspected of having liberal tendencies', and that is hardly a legitimate reason on its own to bash someone.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

ANCFlyer

Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 44):
And a monkey just flew outta my butt.

Oh, I agree, Logan, the chances are about as good as my being elected Pope in the morning. . . . I'm simply maknig an aboservation of what PotUS NEEDS to do . . . . not saying he will . . . hell, I'm crazy, I'm NOT stupid.

Quoting SATX (Reply 45):
Sweet! I'm saving mine for Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas though.

Agreeing with SATX - holy smokes -  faint 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TedTAce

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:04 am

The Morons who made this thread political can suck it for all I care. Rehnquist this, Rehnquist that... He was one of the best jurists/men ever reguardless of what we might have thought of some of his decisions.

tombstone 
This space intentionally left blank

sidewinder

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 43):
Farewell homophobic trash...may your journey to hell be long and hideous.

Geee.... I wonder what kind of person he will be replaced by  scratchchin 
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

b757300

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 47):
The Morons who made this thread political can suck it for all I care. Rehnquist this, Rehnquist that... He was one of the best jurists/men ever reguardless of what we might have thought of some of his decisions.

For once Ted, I agree with you.  thumbsup 
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."