TUNisia
Topic Author

Kuwait Pledges $500M For Hurricane Relief

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:28 am

KUWAIT CITY (AP) - The oil-rich Persian Gulf state of Kuwait said Sunday it will donate $500 million in aid to U.S. relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

The offer is the largest known put forward since the hurricane ravaged Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and follows a $100 million aid donation from the emir of a Mideast neighbor, Qatar.

Kuwait's energy minister said his country would provide "oil products that the disaster-stricken states need in addition to other humanitarian aid."

(excerpt)

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=105&sid=563777
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

TedTAce

RE: Kuwait Pledges $500M For Hurricane Relief

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:37 am

I think this about evens up the Balance sheet...
This space intentionally left blank

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):

Not quite yet...You know, 500 million and some oil are a small repayment for having your country saved from an evil foreign dictator that was invading.

Avianca

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 2):

Not quite yet...You know, 500 million and some oil are a small repayment for having your country saved from an evil foreign dictator that was invading.

nobody forced the US to go into the iraq 1991, it was there one decision after they spend many money to Iraq during the Gulfwar between Iraq & Iran and made Iraq such powerfull.

regards
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

ArmitageShanks

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:09 am

That's extremly nice of them to do that.

Cheers to Kuait.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:13 am

Here's a listing of what some countries have offered:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.world.aid/index.html
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Gman94

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:16 am

The UK Ministry of Defence announced today that it is sending 500,000 ration packs to the area.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

Avianca

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:17 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 4):

Cheers to Kuait.

this is an adequate answer not like this...

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:21 am

Oh I'm sorry Avianca, I guess I wasn't being politically correct. We should all just be nice and ignore debts owed and favors done in the past. Kuwait isn't a charity state. They don't roam around the world pouring money on the poor and deprived. They gave us the money because they felt they owed us.

whitehatter

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 8):
Oh I'm sorry Avianca, I guess I wasn't being politically correct. We should all just be nice and ignore debts owed and favors done in the past. Kuwait isn't a charity state. They don't roam around the world pouring money on the poor and deprived. They gave us the money because they felt they owed us.

Do you send an invoice with all your Christmas cards?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Lumberton

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 4):

Cheers to Kuait.

A nice gesture that is very much appreciated. I for one will take it in the spirit that it is being offered--help from a country that we've helped in the past. Thanks, Kuwait!
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

ANCFlyer

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:32 am

An extremely generous gesture . . . along with the $100 million from Qatar. Thanks to our friends in the Persian Gulf region for their help to our friends in the Gulf of Mexico.

thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:34 am

We should all just be nice and ignore debts owed and favors done in the past.

You mean, like the 5 billion or whaterver it is we owe to the UN? Like that?

I get it.

Screw "owing" someone here, Kykevin54: it was a good gesture ,and should be thought as such, not some balance on some political score sheet.
Work Right, Fly Hard

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
Screw "owing" someone here, Kykevin54: it was a good gesture ,and should be thought as such, not some balance on some political score sheet.

I get it. As soon as the U.S. helps out, people accuse our government of only doing it to get ahead. But when any other country does it, it's because of their pure love for their fellowman. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I've been horribly confused for 23 years now.

Falcon84

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:42 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 13):
I get it. As soon as the U.S. helps out, people accuse our government of only doing it to get ahead. But when any other country does it, it's because of their pure love for their fellowman. Thanks for setting me straight on that. I've been horribly confused for 23 years now.

At 23, you're an expert at little, and don't understand much, dude. No one said anyone is doing it purely for love, but they did it because they felt it was the right thing to do perhaps, and not because they "owe" the U.S. a fucking thing.

You think the world owes us, but we don't owe the world a damn thing-that's how your mind works.
Work Right, Fly Hard

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:53 am

Hey Falcon, thanks for going to my other thread just to bash me. I appreciate it a lot. Governments generally don't do things because it's the right thing to do. Go take a few civics or political science classes and get back with me with your informed opinion. The U.S. doesn't and neither does anyone else. A basic rule of economics is that people and organizations act in their own self-interest.

Falcon84

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 15):
Go take a few civics or political science classes and get back with me with your informed opinion.

Been there, done that, son, which is why I'm giving you an opinion. Got it?

And I based you because you are really fishing on that other thread. It's pretty funny, actually.

As for the rest, Kuwait is lending us a hand, and not to many people give a flying frack why. Hell, you weren't even a teenager when we went to war in Kuwait, so I don't take much stock in your "opinions", I'm sorry to say.
Work Right, Fly Hard

1aMLA

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:01 am

Pls add Malta to that list. Were very small but were sending something.

(We never get recognised not fair  Sad
pull up, pull up, pull up

Lumberton

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:19 am

Quoting 1aMLA (Reply 17):
Pls add Malta to that list. Were very small but were sending something.

(We never get recognised not fair Sad

Thanks, and God Bless! All help is appreciated when people are suffering. I live in east Texas and we're quite close to the suffering. Unless you have lived through a hurricane/typhoon/cyclone (I've been through too many), you have no idea of what it's like in the aftermath. I am very touched and gratified by the outpouring of generosity throughout the world. Even Cuba offered 1000 doctors, although I'm sure the offer will be declined with thanks. This rebuilding effort is going to take some time.
Regards.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

AeroWesty

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:28 am

We should all just be nice and ignore debts owed and favors done in the past.

Every true gift is that which is given with no strings attached.

They gave us the money because they felt they owed us.

I cannot believe that anyone would be so heartless as not to think that the people or government of any other nation cannot see the scope of devastation, the current and future requirements that will need to be met, and realize they want to help relieve catastrophic suffering, no matter where on planet earth it occurs.

Thank you to all the nations of the world that have offered help.
International Homo of Mystery

Avianca

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 18):
Even Cuba offered 1000 doctors, although I'm sure the offer will be declined with thanks.

as cuba normally do after such bad thinks that happened.

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:56 am

It's not as if the USA is the world's richest country, eh?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FlyingInTheSky

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:25 am

We should all just be nice and ignore debts owed and favors done in the past. Kuwait isn't a charity state. They don't roam around the world pouring money on the poor and deprived. They gave us the money because they felt they owed us.

I can assure you Kuwait owe nothing to US now but good friendship ,SO please don't start conversation about who owes who ...

And for your information Kuwait is charity state ,and yes it does roam around pouring money and it always been nice to everyone .

I don't think it's wise for anybody to use a human disaster for their own political benefits ,concentration should be made to help those who are suffering right now with any mean possible ,and not rejecting help offered by anyone to keep political advantage .

Hope for the best for who've been caught in the hurricane and for those who are working right now to provide help .

My regards ,,

aa757first

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 21):
It's not as if the USA is the world's richest country, eh?

If a midsize city in the UK was wiped out, guess what? The United States would be one of the first ones sending over relief, and the UK isn't exactly a third-world country.

We probably could rely on our own for money. But to get doctors, water management experts, heavy machinery, aircraft, clean water, food, we can't. We need help from other countries.

Thanks for the help.

AAndrew

FlyingTexan

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:42 am

Wow, quite the gesture. $500M from Kuwait!

Pales in comparison to Japan’s $200k + $300k worth of supplies.

And Castro offering 1,100 Doctors and 26 tons of medicine (is that re-importation of drugs?)
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

flydubai

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:09 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 23):
If a midsize city in the UK was wiped out, guess what? The United States would be one of the first ones sending over relief,

Yes just like the UK was one of the first countries to offer help to the US. Anyway I would expect the US to send over relief, especially after we backed you up in an illegal war against Iraq.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 23):
We need help from other countries.

That’s pretty evident following the last few days.

Avianca - 100% correct
Kykevin54 - pathetic

WELL DONE KUWIAT very generous offer and all the other countries even Malta. Every little counts.

flydubai

gkirk

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:35 am

A very generous gesture from Kuwait.
No doubt it is politically motivated, but the USA should still accept it with open arms.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 26):
No doubt it is politically motivated, but the USA should still accept it with open arms.

Let's see if they crucify you for saying that like they did to me. Very rarely does any action have one single motivating factor. I'm sure Kuwait wants to help and knows how much political pull will go along with their generosity.

AeroWesty

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 27):
Quoting Gkirk (Reply 26):

Let's see if they crucify you for saying that like they did to me.

I won't, because Gkirk is from the UK and not on the receiving end of the generous offers the world has offered to the US during this catastrophe. You, on the other hand, are American, and therefore fair game.  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

BA

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:11 am

The 22-member Arab League has called on its members help the US as much as they can.

Arab League chief Amr Moussa said the Arab world should support the United States, which "always expresses solidarity with nations that face natural catastrophes and extends most of the aid they receive."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...50904/ap_on_re_mi_ea/katrina_world
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Mir

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 27):
Let's see if they crucify you for saying that like they did to me.

Well, I'm certainly not going to do it. Sure it was probably politically motivated, but definitely a friendly "We're here for you" rather than a repayment for repelling Iraq in the Gulf War. The oil we get from Kuwait (that we wouldn't get or would be charged much more for from Iraq) is pretty good compensation for the Gulf War in my mind.

Believe it or not, showing compassion can be in one's own self-interest.

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 18):
Even Cuba offered 1000 doctors, although I'm sure the offer will be declined with thanks.

This is so childish. Take the damn doctors and let them get to work. They might just save some lives, and we're going to let politics get in the way of that?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Airlinerfreak

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:50 pm

You know what God Bless them!! Also, I saw Cuba donated money, God Bless them too, and everyone else that donated money!