planespotting

Old PBS Shows

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:24 am

Hey kids,

did any of you used to or still watch some of the saturday afternoon PBS shows like This Old House, the Joy of Painting, and the New Yankee Workshop? I came across an add for The Joy of Painting on dvd and i almost bought one of the seasons, haha.

I used to love the joy of painting. it was on at like 230 every saturday afternoon when i was a kid, and saturdays i would always spend at my dads. SO me and Pop would start off watching the New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram at 1230, and then at 1pm This Old house would come on (and i always found that boring, but i still watch it and it still brings back good memories), and then after those two shows were over I would go off and play or whatever and then come back and my pop and i would watch the joy of painting with Bob Ross. Bob Ross was my favorite, just watching the man go from a blank canvas at the beginning of the show to a wonderful nature scape in around 30 mins was amazing.

Anyway, these PBS shows will always be a special memory for me just because this was the only time my dad and i really ever "bonded" together when i was a kid, other than when i would help him work on things or whatever.

Does anyone else have any stories about these shows or anything? or was i the only "lucky" one...haha
Do you like movies about gladiators?

kykevin54

RE: Old PBS Shows

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:27 am

I was always a big fan of "This Old House" and "The New Yankee Workshop." Norm Abrams or whatever his name is rocks!

corey07850

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):
SO me and Pop would start off watching the New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram at 1230, and then at 1pm This Old house would come on (and i always found that boring, but i still watch it and it still brings back good memories)

I did the exact same thing with my dad.... To be honest, I learned so much from watching these shows. This Old House is back on with new episodes, but they got rid of the old host Steve and it's not as good. They seem to spend most of the season on the last two weeks of consturction where all the "pretty" stuff is put in rather than all the raw construction and dirty work.

Remember Hometime??? That was another good one.

planespotting

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:57 am

yeah, hometime with robin and....what was the dudes name? i didn't get to my dads house until like 1215, and hometime came on at noon so i didn't always get to watch much of that. but it was always pretty good when i did, they always did work by themselves in houses that were like out in the woods and stuff like that, it was pretty interesting, a little more so than this old house i thought.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

kykevin54

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:58 am

The guy on Hometime was named Dean.

corey07850

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 3):
it was pretty interesting, a little more so than this old house i thought.

Hometime was good because they would usually finish their project in 1 or 2 shows, unlike T.O.H's full season for one house.

L-188

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting Kykevin54 (Reply 1):
I was always a big fan of "This Old House" and "The New Yankee Workshop." Norm Abrams or whatever his name is rocks!

Norm is god.

Seriously, I don't consider any current show "Old". Maybe the Victory Garden but with the original cast, or Bob VIlla's episodes of TOH.

Anybody else miss Justin Wilson?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

j_hallgren

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:07 am

Having watched just about every episode of This Old House, the thing I would like to see: Rehab of a house that DOESN'T cost over a million bucks! Like the normal house you might find...ok, so most houses in Mass are valued at 300K or more but they could do a low end one...but guess the high class supporters of PBS want to see stuff in their lifestyle.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

corey07850

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:34 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 6):

If the spaghetti sticks to the wall, it's done....

redngold

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:45 am

L-188: do you remember "Guten Tag"?

redngold
Up, up and away!

AsstChiefMark

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:00 am

As a little kid in the 1960's, I remember this woman. She taught me how to pinch, whip, beat, and parboil. I'm now an expert torturer!  mischievous 

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Logan22L

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:20 am

Bob Ross was my favorite

"...and so we take the fan brush...and make happy trees."

Not exactly works of immortal art, but it was impressive how he could fill up a canvas in such short order.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 6):

"This is what I'm a-gonna did."  Smile He was an institution. Cool suspenders too.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

L-188

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:40 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 10):
remember this woman. She taught me how to pinch, whip, beat, and parboil. I'm now an expert torturer!

Did you see that last series she did...the "Cooking with Great Chefs" one?

Did anybody evey count how many Knifes she had taped to that wall?

"Can't do not'ing without a sharp knife"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NWADC9

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:48 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 11):
Bob Ross was my favorite

"...and so we take the fan brush...and make happy trees."

Not exactly works of immortal art, but it was impressive how he could fill up a canvas in such short order.

Don't forget his "animal friends" Wink

Happy trees, animal friends...
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard