ACDC8
Topic Author

Computer Question:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 am

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about hooking up two computers together to share/transfer files. I have a desktop and a notebook that I want to transfer large files from. Different options include using a Compact Flash/SD card or copying everything on to a CD (the notebook doesn't have a DVD burner). However, some of the files are over 1 GB in size, so those 2 options are not viable. I've tried WinZipping them, but it still doesn't get them small enough.

Is there anyway of hooking the 2 computers up via a USB or ethernet cable? Or do I have to set up a network? IIRC, Windows 98 had a way of doing this via a direct cable between the computers (remember the My Briefcase icon). Does Windows XP no longer have this function?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

pilotsmoe

RE: Computer Question:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:35 am

No, you can use a crossover ethernet cable, if both of your computers have the network card

dan2002

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:37 am

Either that or you can set up a FTP server if you are using XP Pro and have a broadband connection. Not as complicated as it sounds, and google will warrant alot of info on how to set one up without needing any extra software or anything.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

mNeo

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 1):
No, you can use a crossover ethernet cable, if both of your computers have the network card

Yep. IF you dont have that available, to set up a network takes only about 5 min. Then just disable firewall and share the drives and you are good to go.
Powered by Maina

ACDC8
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:54 am

OK, thanks for your responses! I think I'll try the crossover ethernet cable, seems the easiest and cheapest (I hope). Thanks again!  Smile
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

airbuzz

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Thread starter):
have a quick question about hooking up two computers together to share/transfer files. I have a desktop and a notebook that I want to transfer large files from. Different options include using a Compact Flash/SD card or copying everything on to a CD (the notebook doesn't have a DVD burner). However, some of the files are over 1 GB in size, so those 2 options are not viable. I've tried WinZipping them, but it still doesn't get them small enough.

You might use a file splitter, like: http://www.kynosoft.com/magicsplitter/

eilennaei

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:52 am

Google for a program called Chainsaw and use the USB flash memory chip. The network cable may seem easy, but you may run into all sorts of config trouble especially with dissimilar operating systems.

TedTAce

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:13 pm

ethernet cable?

have to set up a network?

sort of, leave everything auto/default, and they should auto negotiate if they are the same OS.

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 1):
you can use a crossover ethernet cable, if both of your computers have the network card

Perfect  Smile

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 2):
You can set up a FTP server if

Not so bad, but if you have broadband and both computers are already on it, they should see eachother on the LAN already.
This space intentionally left blank