777ER
Crew
Topic Author

New Zealand Voted Best Country In The World

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:46 pm

Yes thats right. Thirty thousand British Travellers completed a survey. and New Zealand came out as the best country, beating Australia, Thailand and Italy. New Zealand received top marks for scenery (99/100), environmental friendliness (98.87/100) and safety (97/100).

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/609181
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

QANTASforever

RE: New Zealand Voted Best Country In The World

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Okaaaaay then.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Springbok747

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:51 pm

Ok then....u guys enjoy while it lasts  Wink
אני תומך בישראל

satx

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:04 pm

Thailand was in the running for best country in the world? They really need to clean things up first. Everything is so damn polluted over there that it truly boggles the mind. Hopefully they will eventually start taking the environment at least a little seriously some day.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

jafa39

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:26 pm

Sssssshhhhhhhh!.....don't tell the poms, enough of them here already!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

solnabo

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Uumm..I read that Norway is numero uno as the "best country in world".

Ja vi elsker dette land  wave 

Micke//SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Gemuser

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 4):
Sssssshhhhhhhh!.....don't tell the poms, enough of them here already!!

Typical bloody pommie migrant, snuck in whiles the rules were lax and now wants the door shut!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

ryanb741

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):
Thailand was in the running for best country in the world? They really need to clean things up first. Everything is so damn polluted over there that it truly boggles the mind. Hopefully they will eventually start taking the environment at least a little seriously some day.

You obviously ahven't been there for a while then. Bangkok is now one of the cleanest Asian cities around. Sure pollution is still an issue (but less so now the Skytrain and subway are operating) but IMHO Bangkok is no more polluted than London
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

jafa39

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 6):
Typical bloody pommie migrant, snuck in whiles the rules were lax and now wants the door shut!!!

Too right mate! Actually I was invited but I tell you what, if the rules were lax then (and compared to now they were) how on earth does anyone get in these days??

satx

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:41 pm

Quoting Ryanb741 (Reply 7):
You obviously ahven't been there for a while then.

Hold on there just a second. I've personally visited BKK, CNX, HKT, and LHR all within the last 12 months. I think I know what I'm talking about here. However, my view of polluted and your view of polluted might not be the same. I consider London to be polluted as well, but I've yet to catch the sooty booger syndrome in London that's so common in Bangkok thanks in part to their incredible particulate problem. When you exit the airport in BKK do you not immediately smell the pollution? To me it smells like a spicy mix of sewage and soot. It's the kind of smell you can never forget, even if you tried. At least I can forget whatever London smells like.

wunala

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:57 pm

It only because NZ reminds them of home - weatherwise.  stirthepot 

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:23 pm

Quoting Wunala (Reply 10):
It only because NZ reminds them of home - weatherwise.

Its obvious by all the comments by Australians, is that they are ashamed that their country has been beaten again at something, a few days ago the rugby.....now this  stirthepot 
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

rootsair

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting 777ER (Thread starter):
Thirty thousand British Travellers completed a survey. and New Zealand came out as the best country, beating Australia, Thailand and Italy

Sorry to say its a very biased survey.
And please not Italy
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

BNE

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
Ok then....u guys enjoy while it lasts

Couldn't have said it better myself;

Just to clear something up; The word is POME; Prisoner Of Mother England; so if everything could get the spelling right would be good thanks.  Smile
Why fly non stop when you can connect

ZKSUJ

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:58 pm

I thought it was spelt POHM (Prisoner of her majesty), oh well. Good to hear NZ won. Big grin

kingsford

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 pm

NZ is the best country for British Travelers. Congrats ! And understandably as they can speak their own language, still eat a decent meat-pie, watch cricket or rugby on TV, it's a similar sized country, they can fly there at still reasonable prices with direct connections, not have Visa problems, etc etc

Personally I could probably agree that NZ is certainly one of the top ten best countries in the world. It's scenery is nothing short of plain beautiful and they have delicious seafood and fruits !

However I think to really have a realistic idea of what is the best country in the world, is to weigh things like education, government, tax system, environment policy and protection, quality of fresh produce, natural habitat, weather, natural catastrophies, full-employment, communications, GDP per inhabitant, self-sufficiency, infrastructure in general, etc etc

An excercise already attempted by the likes of TIME Magazine and NEWSWEEK.

But puh-lease not the british tourists, may there be 30000 of 'em.

QANTASforever

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:43 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 11):
Its obvious by all the comments by Australians, is that they are ashamed that their country has been beaten again at something, a few days ago the rugby.....now this

Aw, isn't that the cutest thing!

This is how it is:

Australia wins about 10 of these a year. Do we all get our panties in a knot and post threads about it? I think not (well, maybe the Melbournians do). If you truly believe your nation is the best in the world, you don't have to go around telling people it is. It's that simple. The sign of a truly cultivated society is one that takes the good with the bad and keeps on truckin.

QFF

FriendlySkies

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:00 pm

Quoting 777ER (Thread starter):
Thirty thousand British Travellers completed a survey.

Since when do 30,000 British travellers speak for the entire world? Needless to say NZ is a beautiful country, but...the sample size for this survey was a little on the low side, wouldn't ya say?

TedTAce

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:30 pm

I guess this is another reason I'll want to move there when the revolution here begins..
This space intentionally left blank

jafa39

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:38 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 18):
I guess this is another reason I'll want to move there when the revolution here begins..

If ours doesn't begin first! keep your eyes on the news after 17th Sept!!

erikwilliam

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 5):
Uumm..I read that Norway is numero uno as the "best country in world".

maybe too cold...

Anyway, AOTEAROA New Zealand.

great great place...
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

bristolflyer

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 14):
thought it was spelt POHM (Prisoner of her majesty), oh well. Good to hear NZ won.

Yeah, referring to the convicts that we shipped to Oz.

I think most Brits like NZ cos they go to Oz for a bit then on to NZ. And they all prefer it to Oz so all of a sudden it's the best place in the world. Anywhere with that amount of rain isn't of much interest to me!

BF
Fortune favours the brave

QANTASforever

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 21):

Actually - NO, it wasn't. Please don't jump to such offensive conclusions.

It is a term directed exclusively at the English - suggesting they are prisoners of their own country.

QFF

ACdreamliner

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:37 am

i go based on the UN's judgement, they say Canada!

Best for:

People, health care, environment and cost of living and more i think...
Where are you going?

zeekiel

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:46 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 16):
Australia wins about 10 of these a year. Do we all get our panties in a knot and post threads about it?

You answered your own question.

Why do you think we care so much?

New Zealand hardly ever gets first (usually behind Australia) in these awards and when we do it makes you feel a bit special. For a nation of 4 million people we do our very best and when we come out on top its great.

Australia gets these awards like anything and receives them with due credit. It's like you take it for granted. It may seem like we are making a big deal out of it.

Quoting Kingsford (Reply 15):

However I think to really have a realistic idea of what is the best country in the world

I hate that sort of one way thinking. Which country is better than another? If you could tell me that, then immigration would flow one way.

Of course we'll get smashed by other countries like Australia when it comes to items that are affected by sheer size and economic wealth. No kidding.

Let's not get into a Tasman bashing session on who is better than who.

Cheers

Zeekiel

[Edited 2005-09-07 04:49:52]
Bring back the New Zealand Air Combat Force

Braybuddy

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):

I would say that, seeing that it was a survey of 30,000 British Travellers, they were probably thinking of the islands, where travellers spend most of their time in Thailand, and some of which are really beautiful and idyllic. It's hardly based on Bangkok!

Aloha717200

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
Ok then....u guys enjoy while it lasts

Hahaha, the Oz vs Nz rivalry is hillarious. Big grin

andz

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:46 pm

I heard that the term Pommie came from the fruit the pomegranate, give to British sailors in the old days to help prevent scurvy.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

jafa39

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Anywhere with that amount of rain isn't of much interest to me!

Don't confuse rainfall figures for the Milford Sound with the rest of the country...anyway, never rains in AKL, we just get occaisional overspray from WLG.

Ha ha

Jafa

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:28 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 13):

Another ashamed comment

Its obvious that Australians are ashamed when they lose something

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 28):
never rains in AKL, we just get occaisional overspray from WLG.

Keep dreaming Andy
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

wobbles

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:17 pm

Take off hosers, it's Canada, eh?
Signed
Bob and Doug McKenzie

ZKSUJ

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Australia wins about 10 of these a year

Is that rugby games against the all blacks? Because this year you have won ZERO!!! haha  Wink Big grin

BTW, only 2 games a year

'Longreach'

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Australia wins about 10 of these a year. Do we all get our panties in a knot and post threads about it? I think not (well, maybe the Melbournians do). If you truly believe your nation is the best in the world, you don't have to go around telling people it is. It's that simple. The sign of a truly cultivated society is one that takes the good with the bad and keeps on truckin.

No wonder there is so much competition between us. Some of these Aussie comments are just plain arrogant!! Reminds me of US vs The World!

Whenever Australia wins a survey it is posted EVERYWHERE, and I know because I feel damn proud reading it! (plus we win so many of them)

I say let NZ'ers have their 15 minutes! lmao, thats all we will let them get!!
-bring it on-

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:59 pm

I say let NZ'ers have their 15 minutes! 15 minutes of fame has turned into over 24 hours, and still going strong
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Banco

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 22):

Actually - NO, it wasn't. Please don't jump to such offensive conclusions.

It is a term directed exclusively at the English - suggesting they are prisoners of their own country.

QFF

So it's offensive when referring to Australians but not offensive when referring to Britons?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

QANTASforever

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting Zeekiel (Reply 24):
New Zealand hardly ever gets first (usually behind Australia) in these awards and when we do it makes you feel a bit special. For a nation of 4 million people we do our very best and when we come out on top its great.

NZ gets these things all the time. I see it constantly.

Quoting Andz (Reply 27):
I heard that the term Pommie came from the fruit the pomegranate, give to British sailors in the old days to help prevent scurvy.

Yes I've heard that too.

Quoting Andz (Reply 32):
No wonder there is so much competition between us. Some of these Aussie comments are just plain arrogant!! Reminds me of US vs The World!

There is a difference between confidence and arrogance.

Quoting Andz (Reply 32):
Whenever Australia wins a survey it is posted EVERYWHERE, and I know because I feel damn proud reading it! (plus we win so many of them).

Oh come on. It's so small fry to even acknowledge we've won travel awards. I personally don't need Conde Nast or the British traveling public to tell me that my country is great - I know it already. The fact that they realise this fact has no impact on the amount of pride I have in my country.

Out of curiosity - where in Australia are you from?

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
So it's offensive when referring to Australians but not offensive when referring to Britons?

Hey - I didn't invent it. But I will apologise to BristolFlyer because I was a little harsh.

QFF

bristolflyer

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 35):
Hey - I didn't invent it. But I will apologise to BristolFlyer because I was a little harsh.

Apology accepted. Hope you're not a cricket fan otherwise empathy between the UK and the Ozzies may not be so high  box 

BF
Fortune favours the brave

zeekiel

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:52 am

NZ gets these things all the time. I see it constantly.

Apart from Conde Nast (which New Zealand does exceedingly well in), I can't recall New Zealand winning a travel/tourism title as much as Australia. If we win a title like this, we hear about it in our local press. This latest award was made known to everyone on the 6pm news bulletin.

If New Zealand outdoes Australia in an award we definately hear about it. Even if we are behind Australia we still hear about it.

I personally don't need Conde Nast or the British traveling public to tell me that my country is great

I think we have deviated completely from what the award stands for. That is why this ridiculous discussion has gone on. It is a tourism award, not for what country is the greatest in the world. It's what travellers think not how people perceive a country to be great or not.

I think the thread title is rather misleading.

Cheers

Zeekiel

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting Zeekiel (Reply 37):
Apart from Conde Nast (which New Zealand does exceedingly well in), I can't recall New Zealand winning a travel/tourism title as much as Australia.

I'll admit that I'm relying on anecdotal evidence here - but NZ is such a high profile tourist destination these days, I just didn't think that you all got so excited about awards anymore. I was wrong.

Here's a medal = have a party.

If New Zealand outdoes Australia in an award we definately hear about it. Even if we are behind Australia we still hear about it.

Yeah, that's something I've never understood. New Zealand is a great country - why perpetually compare yourselves to us? It's not like Australia rates its achievements against New Zealand. We get very little NZ news over here, which makes it difficult for those who wish to carry on this ridiculous rivalry.

It's what travellers thin

It's what BRITISH travellers think.

I think the thread title is rather misleading.

I agree. It makes out like the UN general assembly took a vote.

QFF

zeekiel

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 38):
Here's a medal = have a party.

Same thing in the Olympics. We won only a handful of medals (mostly gold) and it was a major thing for us. Comparing this to Sydney where we only won 1 gold medal. For a country that doesn't rate well in a lot of sports, that was our moment in the sun.

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 38):
but NZ is such a high profile tourist destination these days

To be fair, I wasn't jumping for joy and ready to start relinquishing my Australian past when I heard the news. It was just a noted eyebrow, few words with the family and little else. My above thoughts were probably related to other New Zealanders and how they might have felt.

New Zealand is a high profile tourist destination but I suppose you don't know how we have done until we get due credit for it. But I have to admit our 100% Pure campaign just keeps on going and going. Maybe it's the Crowded House song  Smile.

Actually I don't think many New Zealander's might know that we won this award. Some more perspective.

Cheers

Zeekiel

jafa39

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):

England used Australia as a penal colony, facts are facts, can't rewrite history. At least it wasn't a penile colony (would that be somewhere you send all the dickheads??)

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 40):
England used Australia as a penal colony, facts are facts, can't rewrite history.

This "fact" has been distorted over the years. Facts are most certainly not facts.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 40):
(would that be somewhere you send all the dickheads??)

I'll bite my tongue.

QFF

jafa39

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 41):
This "fact" has been distorted over the years. Facts are most certainly not facts.

Bet you won't dispute "facts" about whingeing Poms!  Wink

Lighten up mate, no one really cares about anything except Rugby in the southern hemisphere anyway. Oh! and beer and fishing and trans tasman overcapacity and whether Canberra is or isn't boring, or Auckland vs Wellington...........

Love

Jafa  Smile

satx

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:33 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 25):
It's hardly based on Bangkok!

Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Phuket are also fairly polluted in my view. Just look at the thrash everywhere and you can barely make out the hills around you with all the smoke from the field clearing (depends on time of year). If you travel to Koh Phi Phi or the other islands then obviously it's much better. However, the last time I saw Koh Phi Phi was a couple weeks before the big tsunami of Dec 2004. From what I understand it's not quite the same as before. I mostly saw Swedes in and around the islands, but I've seen plenty of Brits up and down Sukhumvit, so maybe they were basing their view on Bangkok after all?

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:38 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 42):
Bet you won't dispute "facts" about whingeing Poms!

Such vile stereotypes form the basis of my arguments against the human race.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 42):
Lighten up mate, no one really cares about anything except Rugby in the southern hemisphere anyway. Oh! and beer and fishing and trans tasman overcapacity and whether Canberra is or isn't boring, or Auckland vs Wellington...........

Yeah - I just got back from Buenos Aires, and that's all the Argentinians are talking about.  Yeah sure

Maybe in your little NZ-centric world this is all anyone ever talks about, but I can assure you that we in Sydney have far better things to talk about than the North Island versus the South Island. Don't dare group my entire country into your alcoholic, blokey enclave.

And for the record - it's only the stupid and ignorant who find Canberra boring.

Talking to people like you makes me realise how far we have to go as a region.

QFF

jafa39

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 44):
it's only the stupid and ignorant who find Canberra boring

i didn't say it was boring. BTW, you'll have made Scarletharlot's day by saying that  Smile

Such vile stereotypes form the basis of my arguments against the human race.

At last you are making sense!

North Island versus the South Island

What's this South Island you mention??

Talking to people like you makes me realise how far we have to go as a region.

Oh, so you believe humour and flippancy have no place down here, maaaan, chiiiiiiiiiill, its OK, I don't give a stuff either, I just find your denial of the convict connections a trifle strange as it is well documented, it would be like me denying that any Pakeha ever killed a Maori after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi..neither of us were there, it ain't our fault and I have distant rellies who got sent to OZ for being crims, hey, that's life, no one is innocent...'cept me of course... Wink

Logan22L

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Not that I have any right to interject, but QFF, your Tasmanian devil is squirming out of your butt. Banco, go watch cricket and eat a muffin, and Jafa, go write a short story whilst fondling yourself. You're all blowing my mind.
 tongue 
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

ScarletHarlot

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:04 pm

Man, Logan, that's the best advice I've heard all day. Guys, lighten up, please! Can't we all get along?!?

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 45):
BTW, you'll have made Scarletharlot's day by saying that

Yeah, let me just say that I really liked Canberra! Boring, my arse.

Australia rocks and I'm sure NZ does too. Jafa's a great dude and QFF is too. Now, guys, please let's tone it down.
But that was when I ruled the world

jafa39

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 46):
Jafa, go write a short story whilst fondling yourself.

Better than that..I'll write a short story about fondling myself........

BTW, thanks for the interjection, I have some facts to hand that explain a lot of QFF's rabid fervour. Although i did have my tongue firmly in my cheek throughout.

Now, where was I??? Oh yes, me and my mate Pinky were in the hotel bathroom with Cathy, to say she was of easy vitrue would be an inexactitude of biblical proportions but anyway, i think they had forgotten i was still there............

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm

Congrats.
 bigthumbsup 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)